Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Who gets a better contract next offseason, Seth Curry or Nerlens Noel?
Keep in mind this is the modern NBA and Seth has shot .425 or better from 3 the last two seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

One of my favorite things about these threads.

Here is a good question for everyone. The last season (15-16) Dirk and Melo were both healthy, 37 year old Dirk had more winshares than 31 year old Melo. Assuming both stay healthy enough to play most of their games this season, who has more? (Keep in mind Melo was bad last Olympics outside of one game, so simply playing with better players doesn't necessarily mean he will play better0

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

wow I picked the Pistons to make the playoffs in Zogo's poll, immediately regretting that decision

Picking East teams to make the playoffs that weren't Cavs/Celtics/Raptors/Wizards/Bucks was hard.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Time posted:

I'm going to be the first poster ever to get all eastern conference playoff teams right. Don't quote this next year

My money is on Cavs/Celtics/Raptors/Bucks/Wizards/Heat/Hornets/Nets.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lockback posted:

Nets traded away their best player from last year. They're going to be real bad again.

They might have lost Lopez but they have a more balanced roster this season. Carroll is not what he was pre-Hawks injury but is better than who they were going with last season. Russell is an improvement and could likely have his best season so far. Their bench also made improvements.

Bulls, Pacers, and Hawks will all fall out of the playoffs. I don't expect anything from the Magic. The Knicks will be a bad team but will at least be a fun bad team to watch. I forgot the Pistons added Bradley but they also lost Morris. I didn't watch enough of them last season to know how much that will hurt the team. The Sixers might be fun but are a really young team.

If Spo has the Heat looking more like he did in the back half of last season, they will make the playoffs. Charlotte's offense might look ugly but maybe their defense could them in the playoffs.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Why did Jimmer get a DNP vs Houston tonight?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Imagine this highlight is set to the chorus of "Smooth Operator" by Sade.
https://twitter.com/MikeSGallagher/status/916145026123493376

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

What would Lonzo's stats have to be to get voted into the all star game?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Tae posted:

A triple double

this is the west we're talking about

The Lakers have the biggest fanbase. I don't think he would need a triple double to get in. Maybe something around 14 points 7 assists, and 3 or 4 rebounds?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/916702303289249797
Maybe Noel will get to start.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Anytime someone compares a player to Magic, show them a Magic pass highlight video. His passing was just absurd. There have been other bigger guys that can pass for sure, but not that I've seen that make my jaw drop like Magic highlights.

The B_36 posted:

That's all true, but saying he could be the modern day equivalent to Magic Johnson is stretching things alot. Teams in the 90's and early 2000's were all trying out tall point guards, and even the guys who had successful careers (Steve Smith for instance), didn't end up playing much at all like Magic, despite being compared to him initially.

Yeah, this is the point I was trying to make. Not all tall "PG's" are Magic Johnson, it's unfair to everyone to compare a promising rookie who's approximately the same size as Magic and sort of plays similarly to him, before he's played a game.

TBH, I don't think it's possible to have a modern day Magic Johnson with how the game is currently being played. Not one that is successful at least. Tall, slow, unathletic, no defense PG's who can't shoot just don't work in this day and age.

I think if Magic came up now, he would be able to shoot slightly better since he would have grown up attempting 3s instead of them simply not existing. I think a team could have Magic with his exact skillset and still be a contender. I know it's been almost 10 years and the game has changed to emphasize 3 point shooting even more since then but the 08 Celtics won a title with a PG that could not shoot.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 8, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Rondo was bailed out by having three HoFers around him and teams being fooled by his passing stats

Don't most championship teams have multiple hall of famers?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

Hypothetically, let's say IT comes back at precisely the level he played at last year. Big maybe obviously. If he does, is Thompson/Love/Crowder/Smith/IT a better starting lineup than the Celtics last year?

Yes. Kevin Love is much better than whoever was the #2 option on the Celtics last year.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

What if it wasn't FIBA rules that made Melo so good, what if it was playing with 2 or more other all stars

Reminder, Melo was bad at the last Olympics outside of one game.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

What kind of stats are people expecting Melo to put up this season? I'm guessing somewhere around 18-20 ppg, 6 boards, and 3 assists. While I may not think he will be amazing this season, I do think he will be a good 3rd option for this team.

Another good question is who is better the Rockets or the Thunder? The Thunder may have added Paul George and Melo (plus lost Kanter), but the Rockets adding Chris Paul is a bigger deal. Chris Paul is much better then either George or Melo. It's hard to decide which of these teams should be better but I would guess the Rockets.
Also, if Ryan Anderson has a comeback year it will be at least 50% due to Chris Paul's presence.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 9, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I wonder if Yogi getting Seth's starting spot while he is injured will end up being better. Yogi will provide a better second playmaker in the starting 5 than Seth. (though will be worse at shooting.)

I've heard multiple things on how much worry Curry's stress reaction in left tibia should bring. What is the general consensus here?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Zogo posted:

Yes, but no championship team had two of the best fifteen scorers in league history and the most versatile player ever in accumulating the big five stats. If a team has Julius Erving, Shaquille O'Neal and Charles Barkley you don't give much credit to Paul Pressey.

A full list of teams that won with two of the best 15 scorers in league history
00,01,02 Lakers (Shaq/Kobe)
82/83 76ers (Moses Malone/Dr. J)
70-71 Bucks (Kareem/Oscar Robertson)

(including points from the ABA for that 76ers team.)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 10, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/917902483879616512
https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/917921809500131328

morestuff posted:

As far as I can tell that leaves Hornets, Wizards, Pacers, Bulls, Rockets, Mavericks, Blazers, Grizzlies, Spurs, Suns, Pelicans, and Clippers without sponsors. I think OKC is the only team that's outright stated they won't be doing them.

Not that surprising some of the smaller markets haven't found a sponsor yet, but L.A., Chicago, Houston and Phoenix being out there is a little weird.

Having ads beyond whoever makes the jersey on them makes them look so much cheaper. It's going to be a sad day when they all become covered.

If I was a billionaire, I would buy awkward pictures of my friend's faces as jersey ads.

WhyteRyce posted:

I have a soft spot for Rudy but boy do Spurs fans seem to gloss over that it's Rudy Gay and he tore his Achilles
I think that will stop if Leonard is out for any long amount of time. They might learn to love LMA again.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Bashez posted:

Carmelo Anthony sucks and Paul George isn't Durant.

Houston's stars are too short.

Bow before Golden State.

A team so mighty they talk poo poo about Westbrook...anonymously.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/the-warriors-reportedly-think-russell-westbrook-plays-a-style-thats-easy-to-guard/

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

TheKevman posted:

I can't remember if I shared the story here or not but Steve Kerr once came into the wine bar I used to work at at the Oakland Airport and taught me the triangle offense on a charcuterie board. It was one of the coolest moments of my life A) because he was loving awesome and one of the most genuine dudes I've ever met and B) because I was learning the triangle from a guy that I grew up watching on TV.

This was about 8-10 weeks after he was hired (somewhere around early August of 2014) and I'd always told friends/family about it etc.

Fast forward to about 3 months ago (I'm not working there anymore) and I get a text from one of my old co-workers that Baxter Holmes had come in looking for anyone that was there "The day Steve Kerr and Bruce Fraser came through in 2014." According to Holmes, Kerr told him that the first time he'd begun diagramming what he wanted the Warriors to do on offense was..."on a charcuterie board at the Oakland Airport at a place called Vino Volo."

So Baxter and I began talking back and forth and I gave him a bunch of details about the interaction. Basically, I asked Steve how the triangle worked, because I'd heard about it and never really understood the overall principles. So he said, "It's simple, I'll show you." He cleared the board off and used the almonds and dried cranberries as offense/defense and diagrammed it and had an ah-ha moment or two where he was saying "Usually we'd do this, but because we've got Steph and Klay and so much shooting, we can do this instead."

Baxter consulted Steve a number of times over the Summer and the story is set to launch tomorrow online and be in the NBA preview mag apparently.

He's also trying to get me a signed copy from Steve Kerr.

Pretty cool stuff, if anyone is interested the article is supposed to go live tomorrow morning.

Thanks for helping cause the Warriors offense to poop on the NBA causing Kevin Durant to become shook and join GSW/break the NBA.

Post the article tomorrow, sounds awesome.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

By inspiring Kerr, Kevman made himself a lot of money selling season tickets.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lebron re-aggravated his ankle injury during his preseason debut and is skipping the rest of the preseason and may miss his first season opener ever. It feels like end times

Man, if this is the beginning of the end of LeBron the Eastern Conference Finals are going to be boring.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

The rarely seen meltdown about someone else's meltdown

lol

Athanatos posted:

https://sports.yahoo.com/reggie-mil...m_medium=social

Kyrie Irving out there pretending like he didn't know he was going to be traded. Also, they are apparently making an Uncle Drew movie.

Everyone already has Kyle Kuzma written in.

I have a feeling the Uncle Drew movie won't be good. It would be hilarious if it opened against a LeBron Space Jam 2.

Also, this rookie class is going to have a fun roty race.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

well, drat. bad news about kawhi.

maybe manu was telling the truth when he said the spurs were going to have a slow start this season.

why would the hawks agree to just gobble up cleveland's salary for nothing? are they the ones getting the second round picks? not really seeing the benefit for the hawks, much like when they traded korver for nothingWh

The best thing that could come out of Kawhi missing part of the season is him missing enough for them to be the 8 seed. That'd be a great round 1 matchup.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Brolander posted:

"im taking my talents to maybe the most racist place in the united states"

Wait, the Bucks aren't in Alabama, Mississippi, or Arizona.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Who has looked better in preseason than last year/what did they potentially change with their game? Harrison Barnes looks like he might be better at creating contact on drives. Dwight Powell may no longer be bad at shooting 3s. (I don't believe it.) Not much else really jumped out at me from Mavs that were on the team last year.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Completely agree with you.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

I literally dont understand the point of calling simmons a PG in this situation. He is a PF. He will guard PFs, PFs or SFs will guard him. What is the point of pretending?

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's really bizarre, this fascination with calling him a point guard. This never really happened with Lebron like this, did it?

We've seen this very recently with center Tim Duncan and being called a power forward.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Bashez posted:

Oh god

I'm not trying to minimize anything else, but this is the worst thing that has ever happened. I wanted to see "contract year" LaMarcus and then I wanted him gone.

Old Pau and Old LaMarcus destroying Kawhi's prime is not my idea of a good time.

Bashez is back

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

blue squares posted:

Im moving to COlorado soon. Is the Denver Nuggets team any good and worth being a fan of?

Being in Denver owns as a basketball fan because their fanbase isn't the best and you can get tickets for super cheap. Plus all the city is swimming in generational talent.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Western:
1. Warriors
2. Rockets
3. Thunder
4. Spurs (depending on how long Leonard is out might fall slightly below this)
5. Wolves (Jimmy Buckets)
6. Jazz (defense will make up for losing Gordon's offense)
7. DA MAVS BABY
8. Clippers (They are going to lose like 40 ppg due to injury for at least several weeks of the season.)

Eastern:
1. Cavs
2. Celtics (Could fall further depending on how long it takes all the new players to get used to each other)
3. Raptors
4. Bucks
5. Wizards
6. Miami
7. Hornets
8. Nets

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lockback posted:

Jazz lost Hayward and 50 games of George Hill. I appreciate the faith this board has put in Ricky that the dropoff will be negligible.

Their offense won't be as good but they have one of the best players in the league, Rudy Gobert, and their defense will likely keep them in games.

• Locked thread