Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
ESPN's NBA top highlights countdowns are almost exactly the reddit videos by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'm finally filling out the SAS survey and it all looks like discussion points more than answers. I got three answers for everything it's too hard.

Rookie WS/PER leader is obviously Jarrett Allen as Simmons and everyone else gets injured and rested a bunch.

It's a dang crazy thing but Nikola Jokic is going to be in the MVP discussions. He's already Hall of Fame bound, gonna be known as the best passing big man in NBA history.
https://www.basketball-reference.co...by=ast_per_poss

but picking WS/PER leader is a real wide field this year. GSW probably spreads it around too much to get any top 5 WS producers, but KD is a perennial top PER guy. Ant Davis holds a bunch of PER-by-Age records, and he could always swing back over thirty, but just like Westbrook and Harden, Davis's production might decline slightly because his team added another top 15 guy. And same again for Butler/Towns, James/Thomas, Seriously, most all of last year's top 10-15 dudes in WS or PER are now paired with another top 10-15 who will likely eat a bunch of their possessions. Exceptions are Gobert, Giannis, Kawhi and Jokic (although Nuggets picked up Millsap), and Lillard if you count him as a top 15 guy, which I don't.

Swing+ teams could be Nets, Nuggets, T'wolves, 76ers, all could have big + wins seasons, or not. I don't see how the Clippers stay 50+ wins, they seem most likely headed for the big decline.

Ahhh I'm so excited for basketball

RCarr posted:

Once you have those down, you can work on learning the more advanced plays:

Spinning and Winning
Posting and Toasting
Swishing and Dishing
Slicing and Dicing
Driving and Thriving
Stopping and Popping

As a matter of fact, just work on repeating these phrases out loud until they are second nature.

wow glaring omission of 'Bounding and Astounding, my outrage begins to percolate

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
For me the NBA's most overrated player right now is probably John Wall. A barely top 45ish player shouldn't have a supermax contract.

Mike Conley might be the most underrated, if it's not Jokic. He's right there with Lowry for the league's 4th best PG.

Picking the bottom of either conference is impossible.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

NotWearingPants posted:

Also they have a really cool logo and the hottest dancers in the business.

Hah you're confusing the Miami Heat with the Miami Floridians and the Flint Tropics.
if we're still suggesting things for New To NBA Basket folks, Semi-Pro is Will Ferrell's best movie because it's an actually-kinda-true story, in that a lot of the problems the team faces and their solutions are collected from pieces of Terry Pluto's book, Loose Balls

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

Which NBA player is the most disappointing to you, personally?

Chris Copeland scored 65 pts in his last two games as a Knick (32+33) then never got within 10 pts of either of those games (IND high of 21, pts, 7/8 of his top scoring games came on the Knicks). I'd hoped he could at least be a bench dude for a few more years.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
i posted all the Knicks nicks in the team meeting thread. Someone else should make sure Ol' Sleepwalkin' Dick-Pawin' Root Beer Barrel Jim gets his name recorded

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

AggressivelyStupid posted:

https://twitter.com/BecksWelker/status/835266361756647424

iirc lebron missed the next game with flulike symptoms :thunk:

you recall correctly lol call him Julio Cesar Chavez cause the GOAT is a lightweight

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I think at some point these folks are drinking melted coffee ice cream and don't much enjoy the taste of coffee itself.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'm drinking half a container of Coffee Time syrup mixed into three cups of cream with two shots of Wild Turkey, I'm a hipster I know I know

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

I drink Chai I make myself with my Mr. Coffee cappuccino machine with lactose free milk. ALLLLL the ladies want me.

probably okay, just be sure to never call it "chai tea" in front of Pakistanis because "chai" is Urdu for "tea" and they'll think you an utter fool

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
R. Lopez is a + defender but can't do a thing by himself on offense.

tanglewood1420 posted:

FAO Bulls, Hawks and Knicks fans - Euroleague started yesterday and Luka Doncic put up 27/4/4 on 14 shots in 26 minutes as Real Madrid won 88-74. He's probably the best European prospect ever and I'd be very excited to draft him no. 1 next summer.

Top of the draft is so stacked. I can't wait to see how the Knicks gently caress it up and limp to 38 wins, one win short of the playoffs in the East.

Did you see the ESPN story where they had the picture of teenage Goran Dragic and 9 y/o pre-growth-spurt Chubby Luka?
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20668236/there-never-nba-draft-prospect-slovenia-luka-doncic

AggressivelyStupid posted:

just saw the bashez posting, good ban imo

I browsed over a few pages and to me it looked like everybody was being a huge rear end in a top hat to Bashez, claiming he was saying stuff I didn't see him saying, like they needed someone to be the bad guy so they could feel righteous whilst behaving all aggro dickish

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I just rewatched that Westbrook 3/4 court nutmeg to Oladipo about 5-10 times in a row god damned M V fuckin P best play of the season

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Rudy Gay on the Spurs is going to look like an all-star. He's exactly the sort of dude whose weaknesses get papered over in SA. They're a 60 win team if Kawhi can do 60 games.

Just quoting this again because the crowd goes "Oooo--Ahhh!!" Like in fake crowd noises

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Embiid's trying to bring back the "we are not friends" spirit of past leagues when more restrictive contracts prevented easy player movement. Or maybe just the 2011 KD tweet where he pretended he was loyal to OKC

Anyhow some quick notes about Whiteside, his rookie season actually owns the third highest Fouls per Possession season in all of NBA history, with 50.4 infractions every 100 possessions, or around 36 fouls per game. He loses out to one of the greatest statistical footnotes of all time, a man I'm always bringing up, the great Chuck Nevitt, whose age 34 1993-1994 season with the Spurs produced an astonishing, entirely unmatched, nobody else approaching his 159.8 Pts per 100 possessions, or roughly 108 pts per game, which would've been by far the greatest season in NBA history if he hadn't muddied his waters by committing 53.3 fouls every 100 possessions.

Chuck Nevitt is the Donald Bradman of NBA basketball. It's said that when Nelson Mandela was released from prison after 27 years, his first question was "Does Chuck Nevitt ball yet?"

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Who's the strongest man in the NBA? I think it might be one of the Lopez brothers. but there are also some squat non-jumping PFs that seem like reasonable candidates, your Zach Randolphs and David Wests. I'm not talking P4P here because comparing relative strength is meaningless, only the absolute is important. Neat or whatever that an insect can carry many times its body weight, but any normal human can still walk around despite being covered head to to in many thousands of bugs.

I would've snap answered LeBron before Mirza laughed at him those many years ago. Now I got no idea

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

dokmo posted:

Trigger warning for unconscionable ball pounding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC2VMHAUnt8

his teammates are running so much off ball action and he's just ignoring them

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
ahhh I started calling him L. Bron Hubbard a few days ago and now I can't stop

chunkles posted:

You guys nba tipoff is on loving TUESDAY and I am so excited

ahhh i love the sport

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
How do I put money on the Knicks winning less than 30 games this year

edit: lol I just checked Vegas Odds and it's 30.5. I don't know how to gamble and won't do it anyways but it's good to know everyone else can tell how bad it's going to be

edit2: Oh and Kawhi is MVP favorite, which is also a thing I think I answered on Zogo's survey

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 15, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Ghost Dog posted:

hello evan this is a blatant joke steal and im so angry about it i went back and found my post from the playoff nv to prove it. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795365&pagenumber=835&perpage=40#post472427282

cease and desist tia

Ahh in the face of overwhelming evidence I rescind all rights to L. Bron Hubbard and any lols I may have received, spoken or unspoken are yours to claim

Tae posted:

The Knicks best shot creator is possibly Vin Baker.

Say what you will about the Hawks, but Dennis German Shotty Shot can still get a shot up before the buzzer

do you mean Ron Baker because Vin Baker hasn't played for the Knicks in over a decade and the last I heard of him he was shift manager at a Starbucks

and Ron Baker, despite anything you might have heard, is really not good at basketball. Like, at all. In any way.

COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF CURRENT NON-ROOKIE KNICKS WITHOUT CAREER NEGATIVE BPM:
Joakim Noah (+4.2/DNP)
Kyle O'Quinn (+1.0)
Kristaps Porzingis (+0.2)
Willy Hernangomez (0.0)

Everyone else on the roster is a negative player. If you'd asked me last season about who was the worst guy in the NBA I might have answered:

Enes Kanter
Doug McDermott
Michael Beasley
Jarrett Jack
Ramon Sessions
Trey Burke

and now they're all on my team. When did we even sign Trey Burke? It's like they deliberately sought out my nightmare team. Why

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Henchman of Santa posted:

Who originated Root Beer Barrel and The Sleepy-Eyed Dick-Toucher Jim Harden?

Collaborative effort of the whole forum, although I take credit for observing his go-to post and clear-out move is a dick paw

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Boston is RACIST because the Red Sox were the last team to integrate, but Boston is NOT RACIST because the Boston Braves (since moved to Atlanta) were the 5th team to integrate

New York City is NOT RACIST because the Dodgers (since moved to LA) were the first team to integrate, but they are RACIST because the Yankees were one of the last teams

but that was a long time ago and Milwaukee is the city where John Henson tried to buy a watch at a jewelry store and they hid in the back and called the cops because a big black dude was at their door and I don't have an opposing equal story for that so Milwaukee loses

Metapod posted:

Enes Kanter is good I'll die on this hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIKXEoOItrw

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

Chicago is following what the New York did in applying a rand corp model to withdraw public services from poor areas and being shocked when they turned to ruin. https://citylimits.org/2010/06/04/reviews-a-city-on-fire/

NYC pulled a very fast one and avoids all sorts of scrutiny because they shoved the worst neighborhoods across the river into Jersey. If folks considered the west bank of the Hudson as still part of NYC (which it kinda is) it'd have the same reputation as your Detroits or Chicagos.

New Jersey is every kind of hell. It's extremely depressing.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I think Jordan Clarkson may have depressed his stock with his depressed stock photo

(ESPN site)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

always a huge fan of the sultry, over the shoulder, "check out the butt" pose that AD is throwing in the second frame

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
maybe they didn't want a narc on the team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

for whatever reason NFL Films are much better at this sort of silly LEGENDS ARE BORN ON THE COLD JANUARY GRIDIRON ridiculous mythologizing

DeimosRising posted:

What's weird about that? They aren't very attractive pieces of jewelry

rollin' my eyes so hard I'm causing damage to my optic nerve. Why would I want to wear this piece of jewelry that symbolizes my greatest accomplishment. Also I wanna read your writeup on Orlando, you should finish that! I thought they had one of the worst rosters in the league as of two or three seasons ago and I haven't been watching their games much

• Locked thread