Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Dejan Bimble posted:

Hey man, that brings a tear my eye, which is very helpful to me, because all the nerves to my tear ducts from my eyes were cut so I have to use lubricating drops if I don't cry a tear of emotion. I hope it keeps working for you.

My message to America: GPs can't read all the literature, surgeons get tunnel vision for things that aren't surgery, don't be afraid to search journals and then use sci-hub.cc to get a feel for what's going on in the field of your chronic health condition

Yes, but be careful not to fall for the woo because you are so desperate for help.

That's how people end up getting scammed and harmed by things like homeopaths and "Lyme-literate" doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

:savage:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

So are there any teams that are serious challengers to the Warriors at this point?

The Spurs looked good before the Kawhi injury, maybe if they can move enough contracts to sign CP3 without sacrificing too much depth they have a better chance?

The Cavaliers look stuck unless they decide to seriously reconfigure their roster including the big 3.

Houston isn't close enough, neither are the Clippers if they re-sign CP3.

Spurs for sure. Cavs have a punchers chance until the day Lebron goes to the great vineyard in the sky.

Boston actually might get there if Ainge gets off his rear end and starts consolidating his 37 tradeable assets into 2 superstars

Milwaukee might be the next Warriors and surprise everyone by suddenly not being too young

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Considering the talent on the Warriors Ainge would need 3 superstars at minimum.

I don't agree. I think 2 superstars and a excellent defense and coaching could be enough. The Spurs have one superstar and a great defense and coaching and are really, really close.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

The Duggler posted:

I think they need to try and ship IT while his stock is high, his offensive production is great but he is basically putting his team through a 4v5 on one half of the ball.

Plus if they start calling his carries, he is going to be really screwed on the other end as well

Yep. IT is an inspirational guy who can score, but it's not enough. If you can cash him in for a defensive big and replace him with Fultz in the starting rotation, your team defense immediately improves by leaps and bounds even though Fultz won't be very good as a rookie. Sign in Hayward to pick up some of IT's scoring slack. Trade a bunch of chips for Jimmy Butler. Now you are really creating something scary.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Femur posted:

why would you attack NOL seafood when sf has the same crap but 10x more expensive. those wharf prices were disgusting.

Hot Tip - Fisherman's Wharf has no purpose other than rooking tourists. SF is chock full of amazing food, but none of it is found at the Wharf, and people who live in SF literally never go to the Wharf ever, unless they are taking Grandma down to catch the ferry to Alcatraz (Alcatraz rocks - Alcatraz and the awesome Musee Mechanique (http://www.museemecaniquesf.com/) are the only reason ever to go near the Wharf).

I did this because I love lovely derails and please note that I didn't poo poo on any other cities while I fellated my own City.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

this isnt to argue against your point, but the talk of playing low srs reminded me of something i looked up yesterday. Well really it reminded me of this: https://twitter.com/BruhReport/status/874822055723532288

which is hilarious and also made me look up the srs of the teams lebron and mj had played in the finals. The average srs of the teams lebron has faced is 8.201. The average srs that mj faced is 6.84. Mj didnt face a single team with as high of an srs as lebrons average.

That was an excellent rant, and had a lot of truth to it.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

EvanTH posted:

Magic Johnson had a bunch more years of MVP-level play in him but now folks don't even remember how hosed up the HIV stigma was. Teams were saying they'd refuse to play against him and people were nodding like "yeah understandable". This kinda thing was happening everywhere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRfIb5TpMmg
ADA wasn't even passed until 1990 so there was barely any legal recourse for a lot of that poo poo

To be fair, people were genuinely terrified. HIV transmission was not yet understood by the public, and it was viewed as a virtual death sentence. This wasn't simple prejudice - this was actual fear. Fear borne of ignorance, but sincere fear nonetheless.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

BWV posted:

basketball is already good you jabronis

especially this year :smuggo:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Things change. Teams develop and regress. Players unexpectedly develop into superstars from nowhere. Injuries are a massive wildcard.

At the start of the 2014 season, the Warriors were a sixth seed who had been knocked out in the first round of the previous playoffs. They were led by Curry (whose ankles splintered every other game), Klay, (who was completely one-dimensional and literally could not make a lay-up), David Lee (the classic "mediocre guy who gets 20-10 because no one else on the team fills that role") and Andre Igoudala whose best years seemed to be behind him. Draymond Green was a chubby second round pic who got 20 minutes a game and averaged 6 points, 5 rebounds and 1.9 assists. The Warriors had just fired their coach and replaced him with a former TV analyst and front office failure who never had coached at any level. They were at essentially the same level as the Jazz or Raptors are now, and no one had any idea that team was about to go super saiyan.

The Warriors may be a dynasty for the next few years or it may all go to poo poo for them and we will all wonder what happened.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

How good were Rik Smits and Zyldraunus Ilgauskus, I remember them both being way too good in a way that seemed unfair, because they were tall and made jumpshots during my chyldhode

Smits was better, but neither was anything special. They were classic big and very slow dudes with one offensive skill who were useful because the defensive rules and deliberate style of play back then allowed them to use bulk and height to defend without having to move their feet. Both would be exposed in the modern game.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Spite posted:

What happens when Orlando plays Brooklyn?

Hopefully you get the Red Panda

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Plenty of owners have paid for their own stadiums. Usually they are in cities that can support NBA teams through ups and downs.

Not too many. That mostly happens in California, because everything gets put on the ballot.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Staples Center (LA), United Center (Chicago), MSG renovations (NY), Pepsi Center (Denver). The new Chase Center (GS) will be privately financed. The new Clippers arena will be privately financed. And Hansen has offered to pay for an arena in Seattle.

There are a lot of dumb cities that gave in to owners when they didn't have to. Certain cities hold more power than they realize. The Celtics aren't moving to Pittsburgh because the city won't pay for their arena.

IN other words, huge metro areas where the owners would be fools to leave. And one in Denver, where they got some nice tax breaks to stay put.

Owners still put all pretty much smaller cities over a barrel. "You don't want me to move out of Milwaukee to Louisville? Fine - gimme 500 mil"

And it works.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

huh, wonder if its cause nba arenas are so much more multiuse than nfl stadiums or the just staggeringly stupid level of greed the nfl has even for billionaires. Good To Know either way.

Downtown multi-use arenas built near mass transit are both cash cows for the owner and generate a lot of tax revenue for their cities. Any time a basketball arena or a baseball stadium is built in a big parking lot in the suburbs a horde of economists, city planners and environmental engineers cry themselves to sleep.

Football stadiums? gently caress those giant white elephants. You don't want one in your city. Huge waste of money and land. Let the suckers in Santa Clara pick up the tab for that stinker.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Brolander posted:

idk, I'll sit here indian style, patiently until it goes up

*cue OP will surely deliver skeleton meme*

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

BitterAvatar posted:

Excuse me, it's called criss cross apple sauce

Excuse me it's called How do you do that I'm not flexible enough it hurts

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

If I was wrong and Butler+Hayward is happening, I look forward to at least having been right when they win 60 games and knock out the Cavs and my wife never shuts the gently caress up about the goddamn Celtics

My wife is a Celtics fan too. :smith:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I dunno. Neither Magic or Bird seem to be good at their jobs

An early look at 2018 has the top picks being Doncic and a slew of bigs. I'd rather have Fultz now than gamble next year

I suspect that Ainge has tested the market and learned that no one wants to give him anything valuable for Thomas, Smart, Bradley, Jackson, Rozier or anyone else other than his innumerable future draft picks. He doesn't see how adding a point guard, even a great prospect like Fultz, is going to get him closer to the promised land. What he really needs is a superstar or two and an athletic defensive big.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Is George or Butler available for less and who would you rather have hypothetically, with the Celtics roster as is and the roster + Hayward respectively?

I'd rather have Butler because he is a better ball handler, and would allow IT to play off ball like Curry does.

I could see a Celtics small line up of IT and Butler at guard, Hayward and Jaylen Brown at forward and Horford at center. And they would still have several future top picks to get an athletic big man.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

zoux posted:

Sixers fixin to be a superteam.

three years from now look out

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

By the way, if anyone still is confused about how the Warriors can possibly keep their core together for the next few years, here is an article that lays it all out well. If you aren't a salary cap nerd, don't bother reading it.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/16/kawakami-lets-plot-out-how-the-warriors-are-set-to-re-sign-durant-curry-iguodala-and-others/

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

"Everyone will take a discount except curry"

Hey maybe so but good luck with that

No, just Iggy. And Durant for one year.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

https://sports.yahoo.com/potential-pitfall-warriors-burgeoning-dynasty-140717749.html

Marks' analysis doesn't include this inside info about Iguodala's deal, so he's overestimating the luxury tax implications of the next few years by a few million. But it lays things out in much clearer terms with numbers instead of a bunch of extraneous garbage text.

That article is weird. No way are the Warriors keeping Ian Clark at that amount. I mean, the writer is a former Nets front office guy, and the Nets would do it, but the Warriors won't. Iggy might get that much, but if he does, they will let Livingston go.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

He admits Livingston will be offered more than they can afford but waffles and assumes a can opener of a starting center who will play for the minimum and also a backup and also the rest of the roster. He just doesn't mention them and sticks to the uncontroversial notion than Iguodala can be resigned. Barring "everyone takes a discount" next year they have the big 4, Iggy OR Livingston (they'll choose Iggy), a tax payer exception center, and the remainder of the roster will be their current scrub backups and minimum deal junk (for what this really looks like, see Cleveland's bench and how they rolled over and died in the finals). That's still the finals favorite, but the cap is likely to gently decline or be static going forward so their tax will grow yearly and space will be tighter. Future year exceptions will effectively cost double and resigning Klay will be unlikely. If Iguodala really does want length, 2020 will be difficult. Three max guys will be 105 mil+ and the cap may not be any higher.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure Livingston is going to leave for an offer they don't want to match. Kawakami waffles and says it is 50/50. No one else that matters has to take a discount. I also agree that Klay probably will be gone after two more years unless something unexpected happens.

I'm not that worried about the scrub bench. Unlike Cleveland, the bench will have Iggy and at least one of Steph/KD at all times.
McCaw is going to fill in fine for Clark. So you really just need some mediocre bigs who are willing to hustle on defense.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

I wouldn't be too worried either, but the team will be worse next year barring a really lucky signing and will likely continue to decline each year going forward, unlike the Big 3 Heat. Fortunately declining slowly from an all time top 5 team is still a way better next 3 years than any other team is likely to have. In 2020 the team will probably be a big three of Curry/Durant/Green at the end of their primes plus nothing but late rounders and exception vets, and that will still be over the tax even if Iggy's deal expires then, which would mean he didn't sign for length. It's all gravy but this was probably the peak.

I think next year will be the peak, and then the decline will happen. It took most of this season to fully integrate KD into the team. Curry subsumed his game to make KD more comfortable, they didn't have their timing down on switches, etc. By the late season Curry was currying, the defense was great, and they were a juggernaut - they ended on a 32-2 run. Absent injuries, I expect to see that level of play again next season.

After that, it will decline. The bench will get shallower, they might get bored, Klay will leave in FA or get traded, etc.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

now I know for sure that it is the offseason

*fart*

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

So if Durant is now clearly James Joyce, what modernist author is Lebron James? Which one is Kawhi? Who is TS Eliot? So many questions opened up by Kev's fart lust

Kawhi is Ernest Hemingway because he is a man of few words
Jeremy Lin is Harper Lee because he was great for a brief moment then disappeared
Derrick Rose is David Foster Wallace because his career is dead

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

Im the obese gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you guy from the Canonical Yankees Fans gif right now

I'm smug Warriors techbro

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Metapod posted:

this is me reading all these rumors

gently caress beaten

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Tae posted:

I just realized Matt Barnes is probably staying on the team

darth vader noooooo .gif

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Fisherman's Wharf has really bad clam chowder, which I don't understand how you gently caress up. Even Cambells in a toasted bread bowl will get a C grade from me. I'll find any reason to crap on SF like a hobo but I'll give them a break on wharf related criticism

7 times out of 10 I'm in SF to meet some out of towners who are going there the first time so 7 out of 10 times I'm eating at some poo poo place on the wharf. I went to some poo poo pizza buffet on the wharf one time and died a little inside

Avoid the loving wharf please.

I had a tourist friend in from out of town last Friday and we got amazing sushi and then drove out by the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset and there were about 15 humpback whales breaching and splashing right there in front of us at the bottom of the cliff and now he thinks that San Franciscans get to see wild whales every day and I'm not telling him any different because it sort of justifies why I'm dumb enough to live in a city where people pay 3 million for a balsa wood shack on top of an earthquake fault.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

He probably said the Cavs don't actually have the assets to trade for PG or Butler and bald LeBron made the throat slash gesture

ftfy

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

If I was Cleveland, I would trade Kyrie rather than Love. Kyrie is a great one-on-one scorer with the best solo handle I have ever seen, but his passing is middling for a point guard and his defense is lacking. Lebron is the primary facilitator anyway. Trade Kyrie for Butler, put Butler at off guard, and watch your defense and rebounding skyrocket. You might be able to slow down the Warriors. You probably won't even lose much scoring - Butler is drat good at that too.

I know it's a hot take and I know that sometimes Kyrie looks like a god among men for stretches, but overall I don't think he helps you win nearly as much as Butler would or a (properly used) Kevin Love does.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Well, the inevitability of the Warriors may have ruined the regular season and playoffs,

but one could argue that it has all but guaranteed an AMAZING offseason.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

morestuff posted:

Needs some of those down-home Carolina mustard-style farts

I'm sorry to lord it over you once again, you sad little Red-stater, but there are no farts with quite the delicate aroma as chardonnay, sun-dried tomato and goat cheese farts

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

BWV posted:

Durant for sure loves farting in a dense space and then pretending like he doesn't notice it while he closely observes how his rancid smell is affecting everyone. it's enthralling

I heard he crop dusted the entire Chesapeake Energy Arena on his way out and they had to replace all the upholstery in the luxury boxes

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

kevin durants pbj sex cocoon doubles as a gas chamber

the David Carradine gambit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ce-zC_n8E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

BWV posted:

what do you call it when Kevin Durant tries to convince everyone that the woman who accused him of sniffing farts is crazy?

a flatulent argument, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing

• Locked thread