Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Niwrad posted:

Plenty of owners have paid for their own stadiums. Usually they are in cities that can support NBA teams through ups and downs.

do you have a source for this cause i dont think its true. its certainly not in the nfl and almost all stadium deals im aware of use some amount of public funds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Niwrad posted:

I think it's way more than that. Seattle should have a team. But after that, what other city would an owner really want to move their team to? Kansas City?

LA, New York, Chicago, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Miami, Boston, Philly, Denver, Washington, Toronto, San Fran (Golden State), Phoenix, and Portland all seem safe from any threats to move. That's 17 teams if you have 2 in LA and NY.

Why would SA or Portland be safe from the threat of their team moving to a larger, wealthier metro with no team, of which there are 4-5 for each? Why would a team be averse to making a lateral move if the new city offered better terms? A team left Seattle (~3.5 million metro) for OKC (<1.5 million). If your city won't pay up, one or more of San Diego, St. Louis, Seattle, Tampa, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Las Vegas, Kansas City, Cincinatti, Austin etc will be willing to. And right now the good times are here and teams don't struggle in major metros. Not so very long ago in real world terms, Chicago and DC and Detroit all had teams fail and fold. Philly and Chicago also both had their teams relocate. Chicago drat near lost the Bulls in the late 60s when attendance dipped to like 1000 a game - and keep in mind the city's population was much HIGHER then (the metro was considerably smaller).

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

when is the game 6 gdt going up???

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

do you have a source for this cause i dont think its true. its certainly not in the nfl and almost all stadium deals im aware of use some amount of public funds

Staples Center (LA), United Center (Chicago), MSG renovations (NY), Pepsi Center (Denver). The new Chase Center (GS) will be privately financed. The new Clippers arena will be privately financed. And Hansen has offered to pay for an arena in Seattle.

There are a lot of dumb cities that gave in to owners when they didn't have to. Certain cities hold more power than they realize. The Celtics aren't moving to Pittsburgh because the city won't pay for their arena.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Why would SA or Portland be safe from the threat of their team moving to a larger, wealthier metro with no team, of which there are 4-5 for each? Why would a team be averse to making a lateral move if the new city offered better terms? A team left Seattle (~3.5 million metro) for OKC (<1.5 million). If your city won't pay up, one or more of San Diego, St. Louis, Seattle, Tampa, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Las Vegas, Kansas City, Cincinatti, Austin etc will be willing to. And right now the good times are here and teams don't struggle in major metros. Not so very long ago in real world terms, Chicago and DC and Detroit all had teams fail and fold. Philly and Chicago also both had their teams relocate. Chicago drat near lost the Bulls in the late 60s when attendance dipped to like 1000 a game - and keep in mind the city's population was much HIGHER then (the metro was considerably smaller).

For the same reason the Packers are staying in tiny Green Bay. San Antonio and Portland have passionate fanbases that have shown they can support an NBA team. Maybe that changes someday.

All I'm saying is if you're putting out the kind of money that Milwaukee is to keep its team, it probably isn't an NBA city. Of course the Bucks could find another city to pay for their arena. But they're just moving from one city that can't support an NBA team to another.

That's why I hate the talk of expansion. You're just adding more cities that can't support an NBA team on their own.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Niwrad posted:

Plenty of owners have paid for their own stadiums. Usually they are in cities that can support NBA teams through ups and downs.

Not too many. That mostly happens in California, because everything gets put on the ballot.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

huh, wonder if its cause nba arenas are so much more multiuse than nfl stadiums or the just staggeringly stupid level of greed the nfl has even for billionaires. Good To Know either way.

also the packers stay in green bay cause the city literally owns the team.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Not for a few years...

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Staples Center (LA), United Center (Chicago), MSG renovations (NY), Pepsi Center (Denver). The new Chase Center (GS) will be privately financed. The new Clippers arena will be privately financed. And Hansen has offered to pay for an arena in Seattle.

There are a lot of dumb cities that gave in to owners when they didn't have to. Certain cities hold more power than they realize. The Celtics aren't moving to Pittsburgh because the city won't pay for their arena.

IN other words, huge metro areas where the owners would be fools to leave. And one in Denver, where they got some nice tax breaks to stay put.

Owners still put all pretty much smaller cities over a barrel. "You don't want me to move out of Milwaukee to Louisville? Fine - gimme 500 mil"

And it works.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

predicto posted:

IN other words, huge metro areas where the owners would be fools to leave. And one in Denver, where they got some nice tax breaks to stay put.

Owners still put all pretty much smaller cities over a barrel. "You don't want me to move out of Milwaukee to Louisville? Fine - gimme 500 mil"

And it works.

Yes. All I'm saying is that if your city has to give up $500 million to keep an NBA team, maybe it shouldn't have one.

This won't change because it's a great business strategy for billionaires. More just a fantasy scenario.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

huh, wonder if its cause nba arenas are so much more multiuse than nfl stadiums or the just staggeringly stupid level of greed the nfl has even for billionaires. Good To Know either way.

Downtown multi-use arenas built near mass transit are both cash cows for the owner and generate a lot of tax revenue for their cities. Any time a basketball arena or a baseball stadium is built in a big parking lot in the suburbs a horde of economists, city planners and environmental engineers cry themselves to sleep.

Football stadiums? gently caress those giant white elephants. You don't want one in your city. Huge waste of money and land. Let the suckers in Santa Clara pick up the tab for that stinker.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

AggressivelyStupid posted:

idk, I'll sit here indian style, patiently until it goes up

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Brolander posted:

Excuse me, it's called criss cross apple sauce

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Brolander posted:

*cue OP will surely deliver skeleton meme*

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

BitterAvatar posted:

Excuse me, it's called criss cross apple sauce

Excuse me it's called How do you do that I'm not flexible enough it hurts

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Niwrad posted:

For the same reason the Packers are staying in tiny Green Bay. San Antonio and Portland have passionate fanbases that have shown they can support an NBA team. Maybe that changes someday.

Packers ownership scheme and resulting fanatical fanbase (sry for cognate redundancy) warms my collectivist soul and strikes fear into the twisted blackened hearts of every team owner the world over.

A city of 100,000 supports one of the most successful franchises in sports because they own it and can't nobody take it from 'em.

Haha you can almost put the entire city into the stadium

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 16, 2017

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Fairly certain the ACC was mostly funded by MLSE (the owners of the Raps/Leafs/TFC, etc). After the debacle with the skydome and the fact that every single person in Ontario knows how much money MLSE prints (it's also owned by the two largest telecoms in the country which most people consider fundamentally evil) I dont think taxpayers here will pay for a stadium for quite some time.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ESPN had a video of Spurs winning the 03 title

Young Manu with hair is something else

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Niwrad posted:

All I'm saying is if you're putting out the kind of money that Milwaukee is to keep its team, it probably isn't an NBA city. Of course the Bucks could find another city to pay for their arena. But they're just moving from one city that can't support an NBA team to another.

That's why I hate the talk of expansion. You're just adding more cities that can't support an NBA team on their own.

As multiple people have already pointed out, Green Bay owns the Packers dingaling. That's exactly what I suggested as the real solution - public ownership of the teams by local government, or alternately by a community funded syndicate. "Passion" and "support" are currently expressed entirely in the form of spending, whether this comes in the form of merchandise and tickets or subsidies for operation and construction. The extent of that passion is subject to exogenous financial factors. People in SA won't stop caring about the Spurs when the economy tanks, but they will probably buy less poo poo

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

have it on good authority that this is the only way to express passion for the spurs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

I'm always grateful to the Player's Tribune when I read pieces like this. This, and Dion Waiters Shits On Dudes For Thirty Paragraphs

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

TildeATH posted:

Not for a few years...

Savage

I need a bot to autoquote this picture every time

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

If the NBA contracted the Grizzlies I would kill the NBA. This is an explicit threat on the life of the NBA. I am not joking. You will need to be lucky for the rest of your life, I will only need to be lucky once.

this is how i knew the guy who wrote that list was full of poo poo.

who the gently caress wants to get rid of the grizz? the grizz loving own.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

EvanTH posted:

NYC has no landscape, has like four days of good weather a year and then is either way too loving hot or wet and freezing, outside of Plain Slices we got barely anything in the way of food culture (unless you're rich) and we also have a massive pricing issues but we blame it on our landlords, it's nothing to get defensive about.

nah evanth nyc has proper food. well, at least in queens

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

have it on good authority that this is the only way to express passion for the spurs

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

lemme get my scotch and i'll see about making a taebot

a bot of a bot

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why the diapers though

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Why the diapers though

They are both a fashionable and functional garment for such an occasion. Even the Spurs' fans are efficient.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

BWV posted:

They are both a fashionable and functional garment for such an occasion. Even the Spurs' fans are efficient.

i'm dumpin my drawers right now and i didn't even have to waste time going to the bathroom

literally poo poo posting

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Because they're gonna get or already are shitfaced and maybe now you can guess the story behind the phrase shitfaced.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

E2M2 posted:

I guess Lebron finally shaved his head huh

He looks good and should have done it a long time ago

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

quote:

I get it. When people look back, they think of Kenny Anderson, Stephon Marbury and Sebastian Telfair, the guys that had the ball on a string.

Actually, Sebastian Telfair has a ball on a chain

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Latinx posted:

nah evanth nyc has proper food. well, at least in queens

heard good stuff about all kinds of cheap queens food but it's way the gently caress out there. It's second on the list of places that are barely NYC anymore after Staten Island

edit: how is rockaway part of queens instead of brooklyn Queens is huge and weirdly shaped and usually feels like long island

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 16, 2017

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

EvanTH posted:

heard good stuff about all kinds of cheap queens food but it's way the gently caress out there. It's second on the list of places that are barely NYC anymore after Staten Island

edit: how is rockaway part of queens instead of brooklyn Queens is huge and weirdly shaped and usually feels like long island

I consider way the gently caress out there like mt vernon. just get out the city some and eat some proper fuckin food my G

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/875549092981637120

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Before I even read the tweet I was like, goddamn Boogie lost some serious weight. That's probably great for his stamina and longevity, hopefully he kept some rear end fat though cause that's a big part of his skillset.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
We'll look back nostalgically and chuckle at the time when Boogie got svelte and played the 3 for a year

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lmfao

https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/875478266697572352

KD wins a title and is back to his prime Twitter days. Hell I'm for that

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Metapod posted:

Lmfao

https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/875478266697572352

KD wins a title and is back to his prime Twitter days. Hell I'm for that

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

as high expectations Scott Skiles quit on Lebron, who are signings or CJ and I was out means. "What if the balls, attempted multiple franchises get

• Locked thread