Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Never forget: the Warriors were prepared to trade Curry for Bogut but the Bucks took Monta instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Paperback Writer posted:

Nope.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2016/03/22/shutting-warriors-urban-myth-no-not-ready-trade-either-curry-ellis-bogut/

There were serious talks of Klay and Draymond for Kevin Love though. Thank you Jerry West for calling everyone crazy.

sure, Tim Kawakami's job is to produce content from the Warriors' perspective in exchange for access to the team, to the point of writing up some junk that doesn't actually challenge the only crucial piece of evidence:

Joe Lacob posted:

I’m getting chills talking about (Ellis) right now. He’s one of my favorite players in the NBA. Anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy. I feel very strongly about him. It was incredibly difficult to trade him, but he’s the piece it had to be to get Andrew Bogut. We would have traded either (Curry or Ellis) to take the next step for this franchise

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/1708621-golden-state-warriors-nba-trade-monta-ellis-andrew-bogut-stephen-curry

Kawakami's evidence that the Warriors weren't willing to trade him is that his salary didn't match Bogut's and that the Bucks wanted Ellis lmao. Hmm I wonder if there's a more direct piece of evidence we could marshall here, such as the owner of the team admitting directly in an interview that the organization was prepared to trade Stephen Curry for Andrew Bogut..

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Are we all glossing over the fact that Morey is about to trade for Carmelo or what

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Tae posted:

The offseason is the most exciting because it's not about the signings as much as seeing how long-standing teams like the Cavs and Clippers deal with horrific cap situations with no way to improve on talent.

What exactly are the Clippers with no assets, letting JJ Reddick walk, and then maxing out CP3 and Blake? Will Wesley Johnson finally see the light of day after randomly getting the full MLE?

The Clippers could implode via FA, the Jazz could be reset by Hayward leaving, Westbrook has to either sign the designated player extension or get traded. Like, the Grizzlies could randomly be the 3 seed next year if enough (plausible) things happen this summer.

Spacebump posted:

Blake and CP3 take pay cuts. Wouldn't it work if CP3/Blake/LeBron each take about $20 million?

Chris Paul's max deal starts at around 35.7 million and Griffin's max contract would begin at 30.6 million. It wouldn't be a discount in the vein of David West chasing a ring--it would be 3 top 20 players simultaneously sacrificing 100s of millions of dollars in salary to play together. Paul and LeBron lobbied during the last round of CBA negotiations to increase the total value of maximum contracts for veterans who will turn 36 (now 38) over the life of a longterm contract. They did that partly so that they (and their friends) could increase the value of their deals as they age into their mid 30s. I started to do the math on completely emptying the roster outside of Blake, Paul, rookie deals, and empty roster charges, and then stopped because it's so logistically unlikely as to make this "People around the league believe.." rumor absurd. The Lakers will almost certainly have max cap space for one player in the summer of 2018 though.

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 15, 2017

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Ian Sjumpert isn't the worst; he's the next Prime Minister of Sweden.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
We'll look back nostalgically and chuckle at the time when Boogie got svelte and played the 3 for a year

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

DeimosRising posted:

"Everyone will take a discount except curry"

Hey maybe so but good luck with that

https://sports.yahoo.com/potential-pitfall-warriors-burgeoning-dynasty-140717749.html

Marks' analysis doesn't include this inside info about Iguodala's deal, so he's overestimating the luxury tax implications of the next few years by a few million. But it lays things out in much clearer terms with numbers instead of a bunch of extraneous garbage text.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
The Kings have so much cap room and no long-term salary on the books beyond Kosta Koufos and Garrett Temple (christ). With the cap flattening over the next two summers, fewer teams will have cap space for FAs or even room below the tax to use on their own bird rights guys. The Kings could randomly overpay a few mid-career vets and Joerger their way to 32 wins.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Morey just said last week he's ready to up his risk profile. He traded a protected first and some flim flam for Ty Lawson when Lawson was bottoming out. Seems like a probable candidate to take a crack at PG.

e: lol hey i'll clarify for you Ringer NBA Guy: we can 100% infer that #2 is so far away from the table it's in outer space.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

morestuff posted:

If the Cavs can find a deal for him I'd at least consider it if I was L.A. The Lakers are probably going to be real bad next year and it'd be really hard to walk away from a Finals team for less money.

Maybe I'm just overestimating PG's odds of leaving for LAL under all circumstances. I'm having trouble reconciling the guy broadcasting his intent to join the Lakers regardless of their quality so he can be "the guy" with the guy who's willing to play third wheel to LeBron and Kyrie in exchange for postseason success.

I'll be happy if the Pacers get something good back for him. As I understand it, the timeline is that Larry Bird ignored all the signs that PG wanted out, refused to trade him, didn't improve the team, and then quit his job so this could be someone else's mess. Like, poo poo, the organization got hosed a little bit there.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I see we reached the part where Dan Gilbert takes LeBron James completely for granted.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
annual reminder that Sam Amico's sources are jack poo poo and he's never scooped any of the reliable big names out there. Anyone might reasonably infer that Cleveland is fielding offers for Love because why not, but the odds of him scooping, say, Windhorst, on some Cavs news are nearly zero.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Cool Buff Man posted:

Kevin Love to Boston, I agree.

Indeed it's going to be a wild few months with many tears shed; may summer santa leave you a griffin or a gordon underneath the tree.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Cool Buff Man posted:

It's gonna be GREAT

https://twitter.com/Reggie_Jackson/status/568538515543175168

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Randle+low salary 1st rounders (27+28) can't complete the trade for PG. I didn't calculate the 27th pick's cap figure, but the Lakers didn't actually gain any immediate space from this deal. It's going to have to be Clarkson and Randle and the picks or Clarkson and the picks. Or a third team with space gets involved and takes some salary.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
*ties off arm*

Phil taking calls on King Zing because he won't pick up the phone?

*flicks syringe full of mysterious drug substance*

Lakers traded Russell to dump Mozgov..?

*injects purestrain NBA offseason into my veins*

because they think they're getting LeBron???

*sighs and leans back*

yeah...

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
miles plumlee gettin passed around like a flatulent young lass in 2017

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
If the Kings make their own picks, renounce Rudy Gay, Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway, waive Arron Afflalo, and refuse to tender Ben McLemore a QO, they could have upwards of 65 million dollars in cap space.

I wonder what they'll do with it.

I wonder if they want my favorite team's bad contracts.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
#4, Bledsoe, and take-your-pick of Chriss and Bender for King Zing and Courtney Lee

let's get blazed out of our minds on this trade

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
matching on Crabbe was surely painful but perhaps defensible. Coming to terms with Harkless was fine. But that loving Meyers Leonard deal.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Cool Buff Man posted:

Broussard tries to chime in with the most obvious of all takes

https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/status/877989519353561088

true enough but its still all right for someone to say, "he wants that loving money" instead of local newspaper guys saying he's "determined to lead the Bulls back to contention and Glory in the Eastern Conference!"

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
https://twitter.com/AlbertNahmad/status/878302967438336000

Paul George actually does have some financial incentive to R+E in a trade with Boston (or anyone, assuming he's happy with the immediate destination)

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Whooping Crabs posted:

What contender needs/can afford them?

The Celtics are the only playoff team that's a small move away from max space. Houston and San Antonio are overtly gearing up to clear max space. Hawks Pacers and Bulls could all clear max space with a little maneuvering, but they seem headed the opposite direction of pitching max FAs at the moment. Jazz could clear max cap space with a few moves if poo poo goes totally sideways with Hayward and Hill. Every other playoff team is capped out or close to it and would need to work a byzantine sign and trade or make a series of severe moves.

Heat are outside the playoffs but lurking with space. Timberwolves could get there if they move Aldrich and Bjelica.

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 23, 2017

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Writing fan fiction about the spurs being bad now is the ultimate off season tradition.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
"danny green only shot 38% from 3 and patty mills is leaving in free agency, spurs are hosed now!"

yeah, it was patty mills and danny green's shooting variance all along. that's why they were good.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Tae posted:

Is there any difference between the 10 year vet max and the all nba max?

yeah the all nba/dpoy/mvp extension (or designated player extension) can be between 30-35%, so players with fewer than 10 years of service are eligible for that 35% pay scale.

One would imagine that the guys who will be eligible for it in the next 5 years (Curry, Russ, Harden, Giannis, Davis) will just take the full boat 35%, so in practice that 30-35% variability doesn't matter much to teams with one MVP-caliber guy. The case where it might matter is Golden State, who will have 3 players eligible for the DPE in the next 3 years (Curry now, Klay and Draymond will be extension eligible in the next several years). Because teams can only provide 2 of these mega-extensions, they'll presumably give one to Curry now and then have to decide which of Klay or Draymond gets the other big extension and who will take the normal 30% max deal. The difference between the regular extension and DPE over the life of a five year deal will be over 30 million.

Idiotic all-nba position requirements could really start to gently caress this up in terms of eligibility and bargaining leverage. For example, Blake Griffin, Paul George and Gordon Hayward are currently ineligible for the DPE while DeAndre Jordan is eligible as an all-nba center.

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 25, 2017

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Gonna be odd when Woj's twitter handle changes to "WojESPN" or whatever at 12:01 and he's immediately tweeting deals.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
*sam presti renounces collison and gibson's bird rights while they're on the stage, trades kanter shortly thereafter*

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
The conceit of acquiring PG with the belief that they (the Celtics) can keep him beyond this year is the renegotiate and extend using space. The very space they need to sign Hayward. This would involve some cap wizardry of the absolute highest order and apparently yield the following:

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/879775875960627200

presumably Bradley, Crowder, and Rozier are in the Pacers trade or they're otherwise auctioned off in short order for the best bid that returns zero salary and only future assets.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah it's still a longshot and they could very well end up with neither but I'm glad they're trying

definitely worth trying--would be pretty interesting to see the arms race while the deals came together as Cleveland, LA, whoever raced to beat the offer for George. We could see Crowder and Rozier traded in, like, 5 minutes.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Dejan Bimble posted:

Somewhere between $0.01 and $26,243,760.00, closer to 26 than 0 if the Cavaliers or Clippers want to sign him. I think it's more of a "I won't waive my no trade, wherever I go, you're paying me, no matter what" than a request for a buyout

the sum total they're bargaining over is not just Melo's guaranteed salary this year (26 million), but the total value left on his deal including the ETO year (54 million). At this point Phil's been warned by the player's union to shut the gently caress up and quit his weird public negotiating/shaming routine. In addition, everyone knows the Knicks have plenty of cash on hand to pay Anthony, so I'd say the Knicks leverage in buyout talks is relatively better than the leverage they have in trade talks (jack poo poo) but not really good. I'd bet Anthony gets 20+ million in a buyout regardless of open roster spots in LA or Cleveland.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Spacebump posted:

Looks like the Rockets won't be going to the conference finals.

:perfect:

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

morestuff posted:

In general I think if you have the option to keep one of the best players in the league you should take it over years of rebuilding for ???

two all-stars? psh, loving worthless. blow it up.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Cool Buff Man posted:

The Clippers weren't working and it's probably not a bad idea to blow it up now that the best player and the best shooter on the team are gone

they did well in this s+t deal. If they can flip all of Beverly, Williams, and Jordan is short order, a complete rebuild starts to look more palatable. Griffin will be tradable though, so I see little reason to end negotiations with him.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

euphronius posted:

This was a deal organized by Chris Paul but morey did a good job getting it done

and Harden! Sounds like Harden deserves all the credit that Morey's getting quite frankly.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
brandon bass and mo williams are going to play for the ghost ballers before they sniff nba hardwood.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
*waves magic wand to replace kyle singler and enes kanter with busted old ultra-diet KD*

good.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
jim buckets is crazy like a fox, and that's just what i want in my vets.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Strawberry Panda posted:

I do not understand how a GM as good as Daryl Morey adds a top 10 player to a 55 win team and people think the trade is bad.

from the weird complaints I've heard it seems like people WAAAAAY overrate Beverly. He's not in the ball park of league average starter at his position. He's just a rotation guy on an old money deal. That FRP is probably going to be 28. Lou Williams' contract is precisely as long as Paul's. Sam Dekker is Just A Guy. I mean, if Houston is paying Paul 40 million when he's 38 in 2023, that would be surprising and not great, but I suspect they'll avoid that somehow.

e: and dont get me started on the montrezl harrell fans coming out of the woodwork on nba twitter.

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
i heard okc was interested in z-bo, any movement on that.

• Locked thread