Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Durant's contract is also up after next year. He said he'd be willing to take a discount to stay, but I don't think that really moves the needle considering rising salaries and who needs to get paid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Boooooooooooooo

quote:

About 30 minutes after Game 7 of the 2016 Finals, Warriors forward Draymond Green sat at his locker in full uniform, fiddling with his phone. All around him, teammates hastily showered and dressed, rushing from Oracle Arena and the champagne fumes that polluted the air. But Green was in no hurry to leave. He replayed in his mind the climactic moments of a weeklong collapse against Cleveland: the chase-down block by LeBron James on Andre Iguodala, the clanked three-pointer by Steph Curry over Kevin Love, the mysterious cold front that froze Golden State’s usually reliable flamethrowers. How, Green wondered, can I make sure this never happens again?

He could start a group chat, or plan a Hawaiian retreat, or sleep in the gym every night from June to October. But grand gestures guarantee nothing against James. “What will get us over this hump,” Green asked himself, “and make us incredible? Not just incredible for a year. What will make us incredible for a long, long time?” Rather than what, the question was who. Green believed the Warriors needed a player to take stress off Curry, so he wouldn’t always have to hit the 35-footer, and apply it to James, so he would never again be able to hide on Harrison Barnes, freelancing for blocks and steals. Only one such person who walks the earth was available.

And so, at that locker, in that uniform, less than an hour after the most excruciating loss of his life, Green punched up Kevin Durant’s number. “See what we’re missing,” Green says, recounting the text message he sent Durant. “We need you. Make it happen.” Green had been courting Durant for months, but this was his strongest pitch yet, delivered at the most dramatic juncture. “Right after you lose Game 7,” Green says, “shows you’re serious.” Of course the Warriors did not need Durant, not really. They had gone 73–9 without him. But Green would leave nothing to chance. Neither, it turned out, would Durant.

Green stared at his phone, waiting for a reply. Up to that point the Thunder were confident they would re‑sign Durant when he became an unrestricted free agent on July 1. One Oklahoma City official kept in touch with him through June and was encouraged by his upbeat tone. “The day Golden State lost, everything changed,” the official says. “The phone calls, the text messages, they were more distant.” The Warriors would have to endure a summer’s worth of mortifying memes—punishment for squandering a 3–1 Finals lead—but by the time Green peeled off his home whites and hit the showers, he could sense that his squad would laugh last. Durant’s response flashed across the screen: "I'm ready. Let's do this."

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/06/13/golden-state-warriors-kevin-durant-nba-championship-draymond-green-text

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Bulls are going to trade Jimmy Butler for the #3 pick and draft Luke Kennard

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
My best guess as to Ainge's possiblee motives, other than his unquenchable thirst for assets:

1) He likes Jackson just as much as, if not more than, Fultz, and so there's no reason not to move down and get more pieces while still picking your favorite guy

2) He likes Jackson nearly as much as Fultz, and he thinks it's worth a marginal downgrade in talent to accumulate more pieces that keep Boston's roster-building options wide open. They can move any future picks they get, along with the Brooklyn 2018 pick and their unending stock of wings, at any time. If they need to do so now to woo a big free agent, they can do that. If they're doing really well in the regular season and Cleveland looks vulnerable, they can do it at the deadline. And if they want to wait until next offseason, sure, why not?

Basically, I think there's probably not a "next move" already etched into stone. It could materialize quickly, or it could never happen because Ainge can't bring himself to pull the trigger. And it might be fun to laugh at Boston for not pushing its chips forward, but it seems like "getting a bunch of lottery picks while your team is still good" isn't a terrible outcome either

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Niwrad posted:

They just seem incredibly valuable. Unprotected picks from bad teams. There's a decent chance that Lakers pick is top-5 next year and that Kings pick is top-3. And this doesn't seem like a draft with a huge gap between players on top to move up two spots.

I think it makes sense. Fultz and Jackson are definitely two players where one GM could see them as more or less equal prospects, and another could see a huge gulf between them. Fultz is a great fit for Philly's needs, and Jackson is the type of prospect that Ainge seems to really like.

Hinkie-worshippers like to give Colangelo poo poo, but I think the Sixers are at the point where they can overpay for what they think is the Last Piece before they push toward contention.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

EvanTH posted:

this seems premature to me

I don't think they should be signing Lowry to a huge deal just to try to get the 8th seed in the East or anything. They'll probably benefit from another year or two of mid-to-late lottery picks to flesh out the roster as their young guys learn to play together (and stay healthy, hopefully). But if they think Fultz is a star-level player, they have Embiid, Simmons and Fultz all with franchise centerpiece potential. At a certain point, you should probably get antsy to get out of the high lottery, and I think the 76ers are in a place where they can do so.

Plus they'll always have the Kings 2019 pick to fall back on if one of their young players flames out!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Woj indicated it was the Lakers pick and a protected Philadelphia 2021 first, which seems pretty balanced on both sides

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
That's a dicey trade both ways, depending on how the protections work. Two high lottery picks is an overpay, but if they're top-1 or top-3 protected, does Boston just lose out on a big portion of their haul if the protection kicks in?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Cool Buff Man posted:

Danny Ainge. Just deal everything for Butler already you mormon bastard

Strongly agree

Although if the Bulls actually pull the trigger on a trade with Boston the protections on the future picks will all kick in and Chicago will end up getting the 2023 76ers second round pick (60th overall)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/876273837536575488

Hmm this seems like a bad motive for Philadelphia. Is it possible that Bryan Colangelo might not be a good GM???????

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The roster is going to get more expensive, so we're comfortable trading away picks that would guarantee us players on cheap contracts

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Forget how this changes the balance of the deal - what does it mean if Woj was wrong

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/876279056202964992

I buy that Ainge just loves Josh Jackson, but if the Lakers wanted Fultz could they have beaten this package? Hmm

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think, if nothing else, this is confirmation the Celtics probably would have just taken Jackson #1 if they couldn't have traded down

Now Celtics fans just have to trust that Danny Ainge is a good enough talent evaluator to buck the conventional wisdom regarding the tiers in this draft...

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Does it make sense for Boston to draw the line at "top 5" for the 2018 Lakers pick? What happens when Buddy gets the Kings up into the late lottery

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Look, we don't have room for Fultz right now, but we also don't wanna give up any of our future picks to improve our team right now either.

Also, this allows the Celtics to focus on the real weak spot on their roster: wings

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I can see a scenario in which the Kings roster is around the same talent level as the Suns this year, but without the incentive to unabashedly tank toward the end of the year. They won't be good, but you add a top-3 talent next year and they're at least potentially interesting.

Plus maybe teams will be worn down by the even-more-brutally-effective 2018 Warriors championship run, and there will be a race to the bottom as GMs wait out Golden State's dynasty.

What I'm saying is: Buddy Will Lead The Kings To The Playoffs

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't see the Celtics cashing in for a star this offseason at this point.

Maybe it's a smokescreen, but the move down from 1 to 3 gives off a strong indication that Boston intends to make a pick in this draft, and the trade was a reflection of how Ainge views the top prospects, not another GM. Does anyone think the Celtics realistically move the #3 pick now?

If not, would Chicago or Indiana trade Butler or George for a package built around 2018-or-later picks right now, considering how much uncertainty that carries?

I guess if the Celtics were drafting Jackson and acquiring Butler/George, they could trade Jaylen Brown without much worry. But I think the simplest explanation is that Ainge really didn't see much difference between the top 3-4 guys, so he moved down and got another asset without really losing anything, in his eyes

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
He doesn't have The Look. He looks zonked out of his mind in half of the pictures of him playing

T-Mac was able to overcome his sleepy eyes to become a star, but is that what prevented him from making the second round for almost all of his career? Most advanced analytics suggest yes

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah, jesus, what can you even get back under those circumstances?

Maybe the Cavs could actually grab him for a season before he bolts now

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
What's the motivation for (presumably) George's side to leak this now? To get the Pacers to pull the trigger on a trade now? Because if I'm Magic, I don't wanna give up anything for a guy this thirsty to play on my team anyway, so I dunno if that works out

I guess the Knicks traded stuff to get Melo, so who knows

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I see people acting like Love-for-George would a good gamble for the Cavs, but other than potentially improving how they match up with the Warriors (and I don't even take this as a given), the downside way outweighs the upside there, right? You can say "oh Lebron is gonna leave if they lose next year anyway, so you might as well go for it," but wouldn't you rather retool with Kyrie and Love locked down instead of just going all-in against a juggernaut in 2018

Who else should be interested in renting PG? Boston probably has enough excess pieces to try to sell him on winning. Morey could see it as the kind of Hail Mary play Houston needs to have an outside shot at contention. The Clippers, if they had anything worthwhile to trade.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-paul-george-tells-pacers-plans-leave-franchise-prefers-joining-lakers-191520531.html

quote:

In the past 24 hours, Pritchard has become more aggressive in pursuing trades for George, league sources told The Vertical. Pritchard has yet to show an inclination to engage the Lakers, but has discussed deals with several teams – including Cleveland – in which the expectation of teams would be that George is a “one-year rental.” It is unclear how robust those offers to Indiana will ultimately be, given that teams believe he will sign with the Lakers next summer. So far, Indiana is asking for a substantial package of talent and draft picks for George, league sources said.

Good luck with that, Kevin

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Pacers are probably in a beggars can't be choosers situation, but if they have to dump George would they even want a player like Love in return? He inflates their record and doesn't line up with any realistic shot at contention Indiana might have

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Spoeank posted:

The only positive ramification of the Warriors winning it all is KD is back on his twitter bullshit

https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/876595568121970688

Durant artfully dodges denying that he likes when girls fart in his face. Kevin Durant canonically likes girls farting in his face now

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
If the Hawks trade for George he might impregnate so many strippers that it would be easier for him to just stay

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

EMC posted:

Is it just me or has PG gone from underrated earlier in his career to fairly overrated now? Maybe it is more an aesthetic thing for me because I kind of hate watching him play compared to a heap of other wings

I definitely think he underperformed relative to his reputation this most recent season. I think a lot of people just kept imagining him living up to the trajectory he was on before he snapped his leg because nobody watches the Pacers play in the regular season.

He played better in the second half of the year, though, and he's got such a good skillset for the modern NBA that it's hard not to see him as an insanely desirable piece for any team

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

I guarantee the Bulls front office still loves Kris Dunn, because they haven't done any follow-up on how he's performed in the NBA

Dunn + 7 + ...let's say Gorgui Dieng, for someone who isn't that good, yet will still make the Bulls needlessly better without getting them any younger

(Italian chef kissing fingers)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Wait what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/876907779981590528

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/876909436736065537

Get that GarPax ripoff thread ready to bump

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Sorry to be the Trade Machine Posting Guy, but does this make sense as the parameters of a Chicago/Cleveland/Phoenix deal with #4 going to the Bulls?

I can't decide how much the Bulls would need to be compensated for taking on Knight's salary, since they're going to suck anyway

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/876973020866367488

Is this good

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Anything Lowe genuinely passes on as a reported tidbit is solid. 60% of the time that has to do with court design changes or proposed lottery odds adjustments, but still, he's decently sourced and doesn't throw poo poo out there in a "reporting" context unless there's validity to it

It's not surprising the stuff he hears in passing that he only feels comfortable mentioning on a podcast doesn't usually come to fruition. If there was more substance there, it wouldn't be confined to The Lowe Post

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/876996442434535424

Is there something wrong with Russell I should know about? Because I'd do that

Please trade D'Angelo Russell for Luke Kennard

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/876994999593746432

I can't tell whether the Cavs were as close to a deal as this passage suggests, but one thing's for sure: Dan Gilbert is Good

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/877006123357929472

Oh my god

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Never forget that, in the midst of a public meltdown about losing a free agent, Mark Cuban never got distracted from his main focus: promoting something called Cyber Dust

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Finally, someone with the Bulls organization remembered, I dunno, any part of the season before the playoffs began

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Rename thread "Rick suicide watch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me