Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Fun fact, those characters only existed because Disney basically mandated that Marco had to have some male friends, and disappeared after the first season because the writers had no idea what to do with them.

At least they turned this into a really funny joke in Season 2 when Star was like "and you guys, I haven't seen you in a long time but we're still friends!" and you only see their hands raise from a crowd, not even their faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Also (don't know if I have to use spoiler tags but just in case)

I'm still hoping they run with the idea that Marco is actually in his 30s now after getting trapped in Heckapoo's dimension, which opens up so many story possibilities. But it's probably just a one-off gag they won't address again, so oh well.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Pakled posted:

Yeah this was simultaneously a really cool plot development and woefully under-utilized. I'm hoping they expand on that this season.

Given the show's history of slow-burning arcs and referencing continuity at unexpected moments, it wouldn't surprise me if that did come up again at some point. Especially if Marco is playing a bigger role in Mewni plots, which the new season appears to be hinting at.

E: Also Marco/Heckapoo>>>Starco, don't @ me.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing what Ludo will do when they finally get Toffee out of his head. I wouldn't be surprised if he gave up on magic on the whole considering how badly it screwed him on both fronts (both Toffee and Glossaryck) last season. He's definitely unlikely to be quite the same at least.

Yeah, I think they're setting up a Ludo redemption arc, especially after the Season 2 finale. His whole story up till now has been about he's always felt small and powerless, compared to the rest of his family -- remember, he only wanted Star's wand at first so he could be big and strong. This inferiority complex has led him down a dark road where he allowed himself to get manipulated by Toffee, who is way cooler and smarter than he'll ever be.

The conversation with Moon showed a slight spark of Ludo's real personality -- sweet, humble, vulnerable and more than a bit broken, but willing to let people in. He's worth saving, but first he has to get rid of Toffee's influence and truly learn to love himself.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Nobody has mentioned Miraculous yet, for shame.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The mime is a genius

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Kurui Reiten posted:

I think what kinda gets me is that at the end, Star getting a tiny morsel of magic from the pot is enough to let her reform her wand, reconstitute her body, go full on Super Butterfly 3, and cast DIE on Toffee, all in like one smooth motion. Meanwhile, to get a spell to disable his immortality, Moon had to go to the Queen that had to be imprisoned, make a pact with her, chant an entire spell, apparently taint her body, and hit him in the heart (which she missed, but still). Star just blasted out a massive rear end beam and skipped all that, with a speck of magic.

Yeah, it's a great ending, but I hope we get a little more explanation on what exactly that was all about. So far, it doesn't make Eclipsa look very threatening, since her spell was pretty much blown out of the water by a relative novice with less power.

Glossaryck has always hinted at Star's incredible untapped potential, and Baby outright said she could be even more powerful than Eclipsa one day. This didn't come from nowhere, and makes even more sense if you remember the callback to "dipping down" from early in Season 2.

The whole show has been building to that one moment, and it was awesome.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Is there a full version of the new ending song? It's like peak 90s Anime and I can't stop listening to it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Let's get back on track here. From what I've seen of the trailers, it looks like they're committing to the new dynamic of Star on Mewni with Marco on Earth, which will definitely be an interesting twist compared to the first two seasons (and Marco obviously has the scissors so they can still hang out when the plot needs them to).

I'm down for that, as long as Janna gets the proper screen time she clearly deserves (and probably won't get :()

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Eclipsa owns, give her more screen time

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Also, I wouldn't worry about the slow pace so far, since the writers have proven that they know how to pace buildup-to-payoff in a satisfying way. Toffee was a great villain partly because they took their time building him up as a threat over multiple seasons, from usurping Ludo's castle to taking over Ludo's body to (briefly) ruling the kingdom.

The whole story had a logical Point A-to-Point-B plan, so by the time Battle For Mewni came around the stakes were well-established and we got an awesome cathartic moment with the good guys triumphing.

I'm pretty sure they're setting up a similar thing with Eclipsa, with the added wrinkle of her trying to win Star over. It's still very early in the season and the show has earned the benefit of the doubt, so I'm real excited even if not much has happened yet.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, this season took a little while to get going, but once they started hitting their deeper themes and character development it was great, and the final twist really threw me for a loop.

I liked Heinous, but always saw her as a joke villain who's fun to have around without really being a threat. Suddenly shifting her to a sympathetic character as Meteora was a bold move, and I'm fascinated to see how that plays out. I guess Mina is gonna be the real villain of this season?

Also we need more Eclipsa, but I repeat myself.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

TwoPair posted:

I would love if even after regaining her memory and possibly gaining magic and monster powers, she still just nursed a big hate-on for Marco instead of the Butterflys.

I hope the next epic battle involves Metalhead Half-Monster Meteora vs. Beefy Adult Marco in Hekapoo's dimension*

*--I'm so glad they revisited this angle

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I didn't catch the holiday episodes, did anything important happen there or are they safe to skip?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Oh thank God, I almost forgot this show was back until just now.

First episode was ... just OK. Personally I find River hit-or-miss as comic relief, and thought he leaned more on the annoying than funny side this time. Still, the payoff was well done and served its purpose with Star learning an important lesson.

Second episode was awesome because Eclipsa is awesome, the end.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I always knew the High Commission was a bunch of corrupt fuckers :argh:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mraagvpeine posted:

An extended family member of Eclipsa's would have had a stronger claim to the throne than anyone else since royalty travels down the female line. It could be that Eclipsa's ex-husband wanted to remain king, so he hatched this scheme to remain in power. I wonder if the "random peasant girl" was the show's way to avoid suggesting that the king was cheating on Eclipsa and the girl was his daughter.

I highly doubt this, or at least hope not. Mostly because it undercuts the theme of Moon and Star having to reconcile their long-assumed royal privilege while being descended from a commoner, so going "oh Festivia was the king's daughter, we're cool" would be pretty drat cheap.

Also who gives a poo poo about Eclipsa's ex-husband? He's clearly a minor player in all of this. They have a pretty strong through-line with Eclipsa, Meteora and the ramifications of the High Commission's cover-up act. No need to muddy the waters even further.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Welp, Tumblr's gonna have a field day with this

Also are we just gonna no-sell Ruberiot and Fool Duke getting married? That was the real bombshell this week.

Benne fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 24, 2018

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Four seasons is a good run and they've got a logical endgame to build here, so yeah, hopefully we get a good conclusion out of this.

My only disappointment is that we get Keith David for just one season :( Can he go back and dub over Tambor's lines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This thread has a tragic absence of GIFs of Eclipsa and Moon shredding on the bone guitar