Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

nerdman42 posted:

The lack of Jackie has me wondering, is the fact that Kelly is in the final image of that new theme supposed to imply that she's a main character now?

I think I remember reading somewhere that Kelly will be getting more development and a larger role in season 3, but I can't recall who exactly said it.

About Ludo: I really hope he gets a redemption arc, because I've always loved that little poo poo and I want him to be okay. In both "The Hard way" and "Starchrushed" he showed signs of wanting to change, even if he's not quite sure how to go about doing that. It'll be interesting to see what they do with his character once he gets that lizard out of his brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Corte posted:

So I'm caught up and going through one of my oh so predictable bouts of ennui after having no more episodes to watch. Anyone have a recommendation for something in a similar vein? I've watched Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra.

Wakfu and Dofus: The Treasures of Kerubim.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If it's any consolation, we actually know when the next episode's going to air, unlike SU :v:

For now. After July 15th though, who knows.

Anyway, I really like how both Jackie and Oskar are both pseudo-cryptoids, although I'm not sure why. It's just kind of cool how they both have these weird visual motifs that look like they might mean something but don't (probably). It's hard to explain, but I like it

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Madurai posted:

Can we all agree that's Eclipsa frozen in the crystal, there?

Yes, and just in case anyone missed it: you can also see her frozen in crystal in the episode Crystal Clear.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Huh, could the skeleton arm that Ludo's wand is made from have come from Eclipsa?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Not gonna lie, of all the segments of the event, this is the one I'm the most excited to see. They've been playing their cards fairly close to their chest when it comes to Queen Moon, and it'll be interesting to finally get some backstory on why she is the way she is.

I feel the same way, I'm also interested in learning more about Eclipsa.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lanz posted:

I think

Toffee's gone; the pact with Eclipsa only frees her if Toffee's dead so... yeah, unless he's explicitly resurrected by another person, I think he's done.

Yeah, Toffee is dead, and Eclipsa is free. She seems nice enough though, maybe they just locked her away because everyone in the past was racist and they were mad at her for being in an interspecies relationship.

I wonder what'll happen to Ludo this season? I'm worried about that little guy.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lupus Rufus posted:

I just noticed something: Moon didn't miss Toffee's heart--she intentionally shot off a finger to send a message, she couldn't aim it at his heart at the time.

No, the reason she didn't aim for his heart is because if she did Eclipsa would have been freed. The deal was "when your foe is dead, I get my freedom". Moon found a loophole, she just used the spell to wound/scare Toffee while not killing him which kept Eclipsa imprisoned. Unfortunately, now that Star has killed Toffee for real the contract is complete (the deal never specified that the spell needed to be used to kill Toffee, just that Toffee needed to be dead) and Eclipsa will be freed.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

By the way, what's the over/under on Eclipsa being the one who offed her mother?

I dunno...Eclipsa was frozen in a crystal when Moon's mother was killed, that's a pretty good alibi.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Offed her own mother. Eclipsa said her own mother died when she was young, too, but not how it happened.

Ooooooooh, yeah that's plausible.

Still, I'm not sure yet that Eclipsa is actually evil. So far she really hasn't done anything wrong, it seems like she just wants to be free so she can eat chocolate and date monsters.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Is anyone else kind of hoping that Ludo and Eclipsa team up?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ironslave posted:

Eclipsa and Ludo as the surrogate mother and (monster) son they never had.

I really hope that, wether she ends up a villain or not, Eclipsa is just super sweet and supportive towards every monster she meets.

I'm picturing her as a combination of Mortica Adams and Mary Poppins, which is pretty appropriate since her wand was an umbrella.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Yes, this. This is exactly what I'm hoping freed Eclipsa will be like.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 18, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Not ture, turns out Toffee is extremely weak against both Joy blasts and getting crushed by pillars.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Xelkelvos posted:

Something I just thought about and it might have been speculated before, but where did Ludo get his scissors? I don't think he could have earned them so I guess stolen?

You don't think he could have earned them? Bullshit. Heckapoo's test was all about endurance and single minded obsession, Ludo probably ACED her test. His key charteristics are never giving up and enduring massive amounts of pain and suffering in pursuit of his goals.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Awwww, Tom's mom is adorable.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Will Ludo ever get a boyfriend?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Popcornicus posted:

The vocal tracks in season 2 & Battle for Mewni are awesome and replayable. I hope they do full versions of Too Little Too Late and Waiting for Me at some point.

Per these tweets from Marco's voice actor, Jarco will suffer its brutal end in season 3. I wonder how long they're planning to draw out the collapse.

Yeah, it says so right here on this thing. This...paper, piece of paper...

I really don't care about Jarco or whatever, but I like Jackie as a character and I hope she doesn't just get written off the show.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Between this show and Steven Universe I'm getting really tired of bomb formats, but at least we've got a date for the new episodes now.

Also hey, Glossaryck's back

I can't believe Star Vs. is probably going to come back before Steven Universe, but that seems to be how things are going to play out. Really didn't think Cartoon Network would keep the show on Hiatus this long...

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I honestly wouldn't be at all shocked if CN is actively trying to kill SU without openly saying as much. I can think of several ways in which the show is probably a PR nightmare for them.

That would be more plausible if they weren't giving the same treatment to all of their other shows minus Teen Titans Go. Also, they're still putting out lots of Steven Universe merchandise (including an art book and a vinyl record of the shows soundtrack) so they clearly do still think it's marketable and have financial reasons to want it to succeed. They've just decided not to release new episodes because ????

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

paradoxGentleman posted:

This guy has a tendency to forgive male characters' issues than female ones'. I distinctly remember him seriously hating on Mabel from Gravity Falls and not on Dipper, and if I'm not mistaken he did the same with Steven Universe.

He wasn't wrong about Mabel though: the show had her do some pretty bad stuff and, unlike Dipper, she never really gets called out on it or is forced to change in any meaningful way.

Dipper gets to have a character arc and change and stuff and Mabel doesn't, which is a shame and a major flaw in an otherwise pretty great show. She did have a lot of good episodes though and when the writers weren't having her do horrible stuff she was a fun and entertaining character.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pakled posted:

A bit late on what was clearly supposed to be the Halloween episode, weren't they?

Look, the Network executives wanted more eyeballs on Ducktales at that time.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Shitenshi posted:

He still did that dumb play hard to get stuff at that dance, not mentioning how he still deliberately pushes Marco's buttons for no reason. He's kind of like a male Janna with obnoxiousness instead of her weirdness that make her cool.

He wasn't playing hard to get, he was legitimately trying to give Star some space. Ponyhead was wrong about his motives, the same way she's usually wrong about most things.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Toffee/Ludo confirmed canon.

Also, Holy Hell poor Meteora. From the look of things this is what happened to her:

Her father was killed, her mother was taken away and crystalized, and then (as a child no less) she was forcibly imprisoned and brainwashed into forgetting who she was. She was then enslaved and used as a tool to brainwash other girls like her for hundreds of years. :smith:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Acebuckeye13 posted:

New episodes have been announced! And they're... on a weekly airing schedule? Not a bomb? I don't understand :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/DisneyXD/status/961781714531115008

Edit: Also if my count of the episodes is correct, it looks like the end of the season is gonna be another hour-long finale.

Ludo is coming back!!!!

Man, I don't know if I'm the only one who loves him, but I'm super happy he's returning.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BioEnchanted posted:

I love Ludo too, he's just so earnest. It was really satisfying watching him master the Levitato spell because he made a good counterpoint to Star - far weaker power but he was trying so hard, where she had limitless power and couldn't be assed.

He's a great character, and his final blow against Toffee is one of the best/funniest moments on the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4CmKfRxF9o

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Maelstache posted:

So are they gonna recast Jeffrey Tambor or is Glossaryck going to have even less to say from now on?

Aw man, is he dead or is he a sexual harasser? (Looks it up) ding ding ding! Sexual harasser wins!

There's been no official statement, but I hope they replace him.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Though to be fair, my least favorite part of the show isn't Earth (though close!) It's Ludo. I still think he's a crap character. He isn't compelling in any way, and his design is pretty poor. Any section of the show that focuses on him is worse for it. That kind of character can work in small amounts, like say Starscream, but is absolutely intolerable as a major force.

I guess it's just a matter of personal preference, but I adore Ludo and wish he showed up more often. Ludo is a character who's very similar to the Bergens from the Trolls movie or John Doe from the most recent Telltale Batman game (which any one in this thread likes Batman even a little bit should defiantly play): He's a monster who's incapable of understanding goodness, but not necessarily in a malicious way. He's fascinated by concepts like love and friendship, but he doesn't quite understand how they (and a lot of other things) work. He accomplishes his goals through brute force and violence because that's all he knows, and they may not be an elegant solutions but by God are they effective. He's silly and cruel at the same time, cheerfully doing horrible things without quite comprehending how horrible they are. I don't know what this says about me as I person, but I find that both enduring and hilarious.

I also disagree that he has a bad design, I feel his appearance perfectly captures who he is: A gross little dumb monster.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Madurai posted:

I'd like to suppose that the next season will be a nuanced take on Star helping Eclipsa reform Mewni, but the series isn't titled Star vs. the Forces of Entrenched Culture.

"Entrenched Culture" and "Evil" are basically synonyms.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skippy McPants posted:

Absolutely. Another thing that's very hard is moving from romantic tension to a romantic relationship. Writers are terrified of that transition and the associated risks. There's a reason nearly every film and TV show that has a "will they/won't they" at its center ends the moment the couple is together.

I dunno man, Brooklyn Nine Nine and Parks and Recreation have given me a taste of what it feels like to let characters get together and stay together and continue to develop as people and it tastes pretty amazing.

It's actually way more fun and interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skippy McPants posted:

I think my only disappointment is that, like Avatar, this show doesn't even address the negative consequences of the choice. I mean, yeah, it is a kid's show but if they pull something that dark, then I don't think that gets them off the hook for not engaging with it.

Well, the show ended before they got the chance.