Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Argas posted:

Saints are allowed to have fun without being evil or being juxtaposed with evil. Just look at Martha.

Okay, don't look at Martha. Look at Sanzang.

Hey Martha is fun when her sassy teen true nature peeks out from underneath the facade of her pious exotic dancer deal.

That's why Punch Saint rules and Gamera Rider is a unexceptional 4*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
now i need to find another device to install the game on so i dont have to wait 2 years for the only version of Type-Moon Jeanne D'Arc acceptable to my stuck-at-15-years-old aesthetic sense

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Does the summer part 2 map music give anyone else serious Starcraft flashbacks?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Has any other character had uh, as elaborate a set of redraws through her Ascensions as Archer Jeanne? Because jeez louise

Also just when I think this game couldn't get any more SRW-y they add Mysterious Heroine Double X to correct that assumption

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 9, 2018

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I was saving up for Fist of the Marth Star and got her with only two tickets.

Now I don't know whether or not to keep going.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Am I a crazy person, or does maxing out all skills seem... not really worth it, generally?

Take my boy Hercules, you might wanna make his attack buff maxed out because there's a 20% difference in how strong it is from lvl 1 to lvl 10, but then you've got his Guts move which only gives him an extra 1500 health (or, in Berserker terms, not enough hp to withstand single attack from any class of any adequately strong enemy)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
it's pretty hosed up that tange sakura doesnt get to be a magical girl but i guess she does get a whole event dedicated to her, so...

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Y'know, I'm no magical girl expert, and I've never watched Prism Illya because I like it when I can convince myself that pandering to thought criminals in anime is marginal/unintended, but the tone of this event is a little...

Do these guys even really like magical girls? It's like one of the seasons of Kamen Rider where you get the feeling the writers are going "pfffblt, justice" to themselves during cigarette breaks

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I mean, there's a difference between a bit of good natured self-effrontry (see: Archuria in part 1 of the Summer event) and the "lol this is so stupid" vibe I'm getting from the magical girl event

Then again maybe I'm not in deep enough to get what's going on and maybe there's some gears that only snap into place if you've seen every version of Nanoha and can name the entire voice cast of Magical Angel Creamy Mami

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So I got Chloe (at least her voice actress isn't as annoying as Illya's) and... she's stuck at NP Level 1 right? Because I don't see any way to get extra copies of her

Not that it maters because she hits pretty dang hard, but still, wanna make sure I'm not missing anything the way I did with my beloved Rider Kin-chan, who's stuck at level 60, NP Lvl 1...

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

NRVNQSR posted:

Just to confirm, (Prisma event main story spoilers)the First Lady and Mila aren't supposed to be identifiable historical or mythical characters, are they? They're supposed to be a story the world has forgotten?

I was waiting for there to be some kind of joke to a pre-existing magical girl series but like pretty much everything writing-related in this event other than Okita and Astolfo, I was disappointed

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That's less of a joke and more of an allusion

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
since I finished out the the Prisma missions and the new ones aren't out yet I went back to trying to finish Camelot and wow

Forgot how this game can actually hit back when it's trying to

That being said it it's nice that it basically gives you "Continues" that refill every three days. I don't see how you could run into a battle where that wouldn't save you, unless you're completely and grossly underleveled/undercompetent

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

RanKizama posted:

Brave Liz has bikini armor that is literally falling off her body and is about three pixels away from flashing her tits. Get outta here.

counterpoint: liz is not 12 years old, does not flirt with everything that moves, and does not have a pronounced "kissing" theme that is based in her origins as a character from an anime renowned for it's questionably pubescent lesbian makeout sessions

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 29, 2018

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I mean, bad is bad, but there's also such a thing as worse

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

W.T. Fits posted:

If you could have any author, musician or artist added to the game as a Caster class Servant, who would you pick?

I'd go with Mark Twain.

We've got authors and music guys already... I want another painter or sculptor or something. The Hokusai family needs somone to pal around with. Maybe Escher would fit in with all the cosmic horror stuff that part 2 is supposed to be into.

Alternately: Reveal the identity of the Riyo filmmaker bunny servant. I think it'd be hilarious if she was "Warner Bros." but given how active they've been in the Japanese media scene lately, that'd probably be a bad idea

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Was it ever revealed who the Riyo lingerie assassin was? I saw some speculation that it was some kinda hot button world war 2 espionage type, but I always personally wanted it to be J. Edgar Hoover

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
To be fair, Riders who only ever use their ride for their Noble Phantasm dates back to near the genesis of the premise

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

vulturesrow posted:

Guys just started playing and sitting on three summon tickets. Is the current banner a decent one to pull on or should I wait? I know the rates are atrocious but I don't have any idea what to wait for and don't have enough background on the game universe to want a certain character.

Personally speaking my policy on summons was to use them whenever until I had a set of guys I was happy with, and I only started saving them for events after. When you're tearing through the early game content like a buzzsaw summons make good motivation to keep you going through the first story arcs which are... not as good as the later ones and some of the events.

I'm a FTPer, I started playing when the Zero event was wrapping up, the summer event was the first one I actually saved for, and by then I had a nice robust team (I EVEN HAVE TWO FIVE STARS OH BOY) so getting Punchy Martha (and failing to get Squirtoria) weren't the end of the world. Ultimately you know your own personality best, so use the summons as you think best suits you. Are you going to cry tears of blood if you fail to roll for Musashi, or do you feel frustrated with the friendpoint pool and want to freshen up your lineup?

Just don't worry about the minmaxmeta approach because there are only certain games where that kind of thing can maybe be impressive, and this is not one of them (unless you're talking about being impressed by how much disposable income someone has)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I managed to beat the Hassan Gang in 26 turns with Nursery Rhyme/original recipe Medea/Davinci. Is that good?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Lt. Lizard posted:

My two problems with Shuten is her whole "drunk and willing litle girl" aethestics and the fact that I dont feel she has much going with her beyond that. Its less that I dislike her, and more that I feel like she is less interesting than Eric the Bloodaxe King or Phantom of Opera.

I used to be grossed out by Shuten Doji pretty hard until I realized how much she looks like her voice actress, which made my discomfort much milder, and also changed it's quality from "ew" to "wait does she know???"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Shinjobi posted:

I want a Merlin. And a Rin. And a Rin. And a Hassan. Musashi looks pretty kickass too, even if they couldn't save France I bet.

Miyamoto Musashi is invincible under the sun and not in the lame way that Gawain is: I am pretty sure that France falls under "under the sun"

Personally I want all these cool five stars but I have given up on intentionally getting any, so I think I might roll on Babylon until I get Caster Gil and then just do totally random nonsense otherwise

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Argas posted:

Summoning usually doesn't draw from parallel universes. Emiya is a weird exception because of the catalyst involved.

The list of weird exceptions in this IP is longer than the list of "standard" cases.

I mean, how many "normal" Holy Grail Wars are there that are covered in an actual story that's shown on screen? Isn't it just Zero? And even then Kirei gets up to a bit of chicanery

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't want to be lovely about how and why people enjoy this game, but it seems kind of weird to me to worry about servant tiers and most effective strategies in great detail when the difficulty level in the game is kind of trivial in general, and more dictated by how long you've been playing/how much you've whaled more than pure strategy?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Kyte posted:

Sitonai is an obscure Ainu myth (as in, obscure even for Ainu folklore in general) about (going off memory because I can't find the translator's post and there's literally no english source for it) a kamuiy (IIRC) that terrorized a small village, until one girl goes off with her dog companion to kill it (and succeeds).

That's why she's got Dragonslaying attributes (kamuiy are similed to both gods and dragons (Kanna from Maid Dragon is a Kamuiy, hence her surname)) and why she summoned Herk during LB2. It was her Illya part influencing Sitonai's animal companion ability..

We are expecting an overload of Golden Kamuiy jokes.

so when are we going to get herc in a literal lion of olympus costume?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Hero Liz is not as stupid as Lancer Liz, so does that mean that video games are marginally less stupid than idols? :iiam:

No, but seriously, she does seem a lot more tolerable in this form. Is Elizabeth as represented in the previous main story chapters the victim of bad localization? Or is this dragon who's questing just better because she's the central object of ridicule? Or is it the presence of Nitocris, who is kind of similar to her, except less stupid and megalomaniacal acting as a diluting element?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
the challenges in the halloween event make you realize some weird poo poo

Like, apparently Ushiwakamaru is taller than Drake? That doesn't seem right at all??? Maybe it's because Drake is more er, voluptuous, or maybe it's because her sprite has better (as in anatomically plausible) proportions but that seems weirdly wrong.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think it's worth noting that even putting aside the 1-3 stars, you're likely to end up with a healthy roster of 4 stars just by spending the SQ you accumulate through the game, even excluding welfare servants. I think I've got 8 and I only ever used paid quartz for the guaranteed five star roll.

I even have a five star that I got for free once! Karna! For a guy with a golden codpiece he sure is dour!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't like Liz, but the game and other characters seem to dunk on her pretty consistently, so she's tolerable, as opposed to if there was a character who was annoying AND treated like they were totally awesome

She's also less terrible when infused with power of courage and heroism, even if she probably shouldn't be allowed to do her own clothes shopping

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wasn't playing at this time last year, so this event is really endearing me to OG Alter, which makes the fact that I got spooked by regular Artoria while fishing for Lancelot on the Camelot banner kind of frustrating...

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Liffrea posted:

Threw a summon ticket at the banner hoping for one of the event CEs but Jack popped out instead. :dance:

thank you for doing this because your post (plus learning how merlin's arguably biggest buff is crit related) made me throw a ticket at the jack banner on a whim and now I too am a mother

poo poo i absolutely do not have enough void dust or gears though

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 17, 2018

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Was Lu bu the first Berserker created after Heracles? Is that why he apes the whole animal noises schtick with the same scrambled text, even? Or does it have to do with Madness Enhancement ranks or something?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I like that Lancer Medusa looks like a kid from an early 00s anime convention in her stage 1 art, but when the cloak comes off it's kinda gross, and also I'm not really in the market for another Lancer right now, especially with Santa Baby coming down the chimney tonight

The upcoming banners do have me kind of puzzled about where to allocate my SQ though because despite having too many sabers, I can't deny that I am a fan of most things Musashi, and King Grandpa is exactly my flavor in the basement, middle of the night, blacked out windows, and while I don't really care about Merlin (the only real support Servant I ever use with any regularity right now is Mash, I've got Hans at level 55 but can't bring myself to bother with ascending him higher) I do have a robust lineup of powerful Buster-based Servants, including team anchor Heracles, so it seems like he would be a good addition...

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Captain Baal posted:

This lostbelt is stacked with a bunch of cool characters and I want them all and I hate this game gently caress you fgo

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Chaldea lunchtime is only going to be available until the end of the year, right? Is it worth trying to getting additional copies if you're unlikely to grab the whole set? I know that bond points are a huge rear end pain once you get past the initial five, but grinding for mana prisms doesn't strike me as being any better.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Rorahusky posted:

Okay, Brynhild, I need to ask you a very serious and important question concerning the latest Lostbelt.

WHY THE HELL DOES RED HARE HAVE THE BRYNHILD'S BELOVED TRAIT?!

YOU HAVE SOME 'SPLAINING TO DO.

Hilde is like Sailor Jupiter, literally everyone reminds her of her beloved whom she is eternally pining for

And by pining for I mean she wants to chop him down, like a pine tree

boy mamiko noto plays a lot of psychos huh

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
6 Tickets and 30 Quartz and I got

uh, everybody on the banner

...I am definitely not going to get Merlin/Musashi/Grandpa. My luck's been running too hot lately. This is my third 5 star playing FTP in the last 3 months.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So, maybe this is just because his third skill isn't available in story mode, but Merlin seems kinda... sucky, to me? Maybe it's just because I've got a "HIT IT HARD AND CONSISTENTLY" type of mindset, strategically, but his first two skills don't seem remarkable outside boss battles

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Christmas=party samba=party therefore samba=Christmas

The math checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Am I alone in getting some really strong Muv Luv Alternative vibes from this Singularity? And that was before the new enemy types start showing up.

Maybe I would just associate any kind of VN, or VN style narrative, on this scale (in the context of the singularity, not the "The multiverse is hosed" scale of Part 1 as a whole) with it but the impression is only getting stronger as I progress through