Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
I got extremely pranked by Waver while rolling for summer nero but this was after getting Summer Nobu and Summer Fran in the previous two ten rolls so, I can't stay too mad at him. In general this event has been a blast compared to the latter half of summer original and i can't believe how much it's warmed me to Medb of all characters.

Speaking of being warmed up, I'm fairly new to the game and only just completed Babylon and Solomon and it's hosed up how the writing in FGO actually is good sometimes???? It took me like the entire 7 worlds to get me to warm up to Romani in any way and somehow that wasn't too little too late. The games gone from being a lovely anime I watch because I have nothing better to do to a lovely anime that I'm also really invested in now and then and I did NOT expect that at all lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

God right, Every other part I was pretty invested but the entire back quarter is just the most tedious battles possible. At least the climax was worth the slog

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Feeling kind of burnt out on grinding and lacking the quartz reserves to really do any fishing for craft essences, I might just stick to lottery currency, it really is a massive bummer after Summer 2 the sequel to summer going back to 1-per ce bonuses and multi-currency drop nodes T-T.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Uh he already has an Archetype, it's Evil Deity Dragon, this is like season 1 stuff come on

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Been doing leftover interludes to take advantage of the half AP campaign in its last days and it made me like, extremely renew my gratitude that Ibaraki was my first 4 star, bless this girl

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

She was ALSO my 2nd and 3rd 4 star pull so, I'm way ahead of you on both counts '<'.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Same, even if the medal grinding was too miserable to touch beyond the bronze stuff (which sucks because I need those drat crystals and gears so bad) the feel of suddenly having a ton of servants max level and on top of that getting so many important skills up past 6 is GOOD. It's nice to just have a bunch of options for content now and just take things as they come rather than constantly feeling like I can barely scrape together a front row on anything a berserker/rider can't instantly fix

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

just came in her to ask about that lmao, what a weird bug

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

I always thought Mordreds deal and the fact she isn’t given the same treatment as similar characters was that she experienced gender entirely through the lens of Camelot’s dumbass rules; she’s essentially imposing the same situation artoria was in on herself because she thought it was a necessary thing to do in order to be a worthy heir for all the multiple things that meant over her lifetime. But like, on the flip side, even an essential formality is still a formality and she’s always seemed pretty uncomfortable with people extrapolating the binary opposite from her not wanting to be called a woman; it’s not that she’s a man so much as she can’t tolerate others identifying her as a girl.

This isn’t to say trans dude mordred isn’t a valid reading of course, I’m fact I think it’s super neat and well supported, it’s just my personal reading of the material. Mordred rules no matter what you think of their identity imo

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

I HAD THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME (well I wanted tomoe instead but) Musashi jusrt likes tickets I guess lmao

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Part of the problem with the male MC specifically is it means a lot of the writing is played WAAAAY more straight in both senses of the word, like, it’s harder to ignore all the harem poo poo as being what it is, and it makes him feel way more passive as a result, which is carried over in official works where he’s played in he most boring and flat way possible. The LWM stuff sucks rear end but imo it is way easier to like Ritsuka when she reads as a genki lesbian disaster rather than as an extremely average faceless avatar mc, even if they are ultimately in the same situations and given the same lines.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

I'm just finishing off Agartha now to get it out of the way and gOD y'all weren't kidding about how bad Fergus Jr is huh, good grief

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Latest Babylonia anime thoughts: the fact that the MC apparently just stood completely still while 2 separate servants dramatically unleashed their noble phantasms for 5 minutes apiece to give him time to get away was REALLY funny, the animation itself is incredible but the direction so far has been really predisposed to bad visual-novel adaptation traps, even ones not contrary to the original text like flubbing the climax of Ushiwaka's second noble phantasm by having it do literally nothing. It's so weird it wraps around to being super goofy tbh.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

The problem with Babylonia anime isn't that gudao is inherently less interesting than gudako (though that is A problem, it's not one that couldn't be overcome with good writing) but that he's the least interesting interpretation of the character possible. Dudes just very lifeless and passive, like, to the point where he and Mash occupy such similar spots in the writing in a lot of scenes, and it just sort of sucks the life out of their side of things (and in a way that's going to get even worse when the goddesses all start falling instantly in love with him.) It just kind of makes the non-servant scenes kind of lame, but hey, if all Babylonia gives us is a bunch of cool fights to watch on youtube independent of anything then it's better than nothing, and extremely better than first order lmao.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, I'll freely admit a lot of the charm of any mc is in interpretation and I WOULD be happier with just the bare minimum same crappy writing but it's a tiny lesbian doing it instead (and yeah I fuckin hate the Riyo style ultra-predatory poo poo). The point is more that that space for interpretation exists and writing the dullest boy alive who spends every fight dramatically hiding behind Mash's shield and having every plot beat and relationship just Happen to him as a result is a deliberate and kind of lovely Choice than saying it is confirmed unfaithful to the text and a betrayal of the writing or whatever.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Grailing Sparticus so he can become the true Antifa-Supersoldier he was always meant to be is in fact praxis

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Shimousa is 100% my favorite part of Fate Go so far but I'd also be the first person to admit it's not for everyone and, yeah, it does kind of live or die based on how much you like Musashi as a character or relate to her internal growth and struggle, I get why people don't rate it as consistently highly as Grampa Crimes Big Night Out.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Hey I'd take a tutorial servant only ticket rn, there's always space in my gay heart for Carmilla (though, considering the day 1 ticket blessed me with my 5th copy of Ibaraki literally right after I finished getting her max bond essence I already can't complain about my december haul lol)

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

I'd be down with christmas replacing every event if it meant more designs like this I.E. gradually giving all the worst designed servants some actual clothing.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

A Bystander posted:

The real hell isn't the gacha. It's leveling your servants and their skills.

As someone who got a random Artoria off her end of week ticket and was 100% not prepared to raise another 5 star, let alone one who wants 100% of my dragon fangs, I have finally started to feel this lmao (also that makes the third SSR in a row I have gotten off tickets while I haven't seen gold in a ten roll since july, my luck is extremely wonky these past months)

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, Salem has done a great job of selling its scenario and atmosphere on a human-level in a way the other EoR chapters didn’t, it’s got great writing and direction within the games limited scope, even the music and visuals have been really on point to constructing a strong vibe. The really somber track they made for it has been putting in SO much work, I’ve been super impressed! Excited to see how it all comes to a head tomorrow!

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, Shimosa had a lot of scenes of Violence but it didn't quite stick to a consistent feel of it in a way that differentiated it from like, the normal singularities where people were getting mowed the gently caress down, you didn't quite "feel" them past Inshun, it's always one or two scenes happening somewhere far away to people without even portraits (my one big complaint with the manga actually is that they don't flesh these kinds of things out, they stick pretty rigorously to the games pacing in a way that feels a little rushed). I think it's like, the contrast between "good ideas and stories that don't quite live up to their potential due to being in the form of an expansion patch for an ongoing visual novel rpg" with "A good idea and story that feels completely designed to be told in this amount of time and in this game space" more than anything else.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

klapman posted:

reading this like an MGSV pre-mission rundown

Guest starring the "FUJIMARU" Parasite Unit

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getting Sheba as a FTP player feels wrong somehow, but then, maybe the three dud ten rolls that followed her were payment enough ‘<‘

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Seeing dumb lines like that replicated with a canon feMC is heartwarming lmao

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, Chaldea is a context where the majority of Servants tend to retain their sense of self outside of different iterations of them being summoned in singularities, the issue of them being different "people" only comes up when it comes to the literal living versions of characters like Nero Which while it doesn't come up often, is why say, the scene of "servant" Musashi waking up after the events of Shimosa is so significant

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

A lot of this is beginning to feel like this is the result of being a Fate anime rather than a Fate: Go anime; the scenes with existing fate anime characters like Gilgamesh and Ishtar seem to be the ones that have the strongest adaptational focus while the writing and direction doesn't know quite what to do with the Gacha Originals half of the time. Fujimaru's characterization makes a lot more sense when you compare it less to all the different interpretations of the characters game players have and more to a lineup of existing anime protags featuring the likes of, say, Sieg. Not that this is, really, some grand disservice to some flawless text or anything, it's just a lens that makes a few creative calls make sense I guess.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Budgeted a good twenty tickets for this and am looking forward to updating the "number of rolls without a gold servant" total back up to 50 in a few hours for a great end to 2019

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Guess the Gacha interpreted my pessimism as being Tsundere because lo, even I managed Eresh (as well as a hefty bounty of event CE's).

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Thats kind of a nice idea, it'd be cool if never-returning welfares started getting added to the FP gacha to get some use out of them for newer players

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

yeah the anniversary is when the GSSR starts to offer something almost like actual value for money in terms of variety and price, this one is kind of miserable for the bad odds of getting someone you want alone.

The Divine Orator fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 31, 2019

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

oooh, nice to have a new foriegner! Shame about the LB5.5 delay but given the unusual state of events for november/december I'd hesitate to complain, I'd say the team must be pretty under the pump on it already.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Was bitter about not getting anything but a surprise wassup from a new homie over the New Years rolls I made but then I actually sat down and dug in to all the rank ups/interludes I had on the back burners and made back a ton of quartz as well as a reminder that Eresh owns and was a great past pull all her own so I’m actually content. It’s funny, that’s twice now I’ve overspent quartz and things have just aligned to gift it right back to me lol, vive la France indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

dogsicle posted:

the real kicker is having to wait 5 months for sieg

Top Tip: Astute players will notice that you can choose not to deploy a servant and leave a slot in your party blank, allowing you to get a sneak preview of siegs character as early as launch!