Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I don't really play this game much anymore, but I do occasionally log in (to the JP version) to pick up my quartz and see if there are any neat servants on the gacha. I had 5 10-rolls worth of quartz saved up, so I decided to try rolling for the new 5* Berserker Xiang Yu. I got him on the third 10-roll, so I've now finally accomplished the goal of being able to run three 5* Berserkers at once (Vlad, the one with the huge boobs, and this guy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I finally started playing on the English version. It is painful, because I have a zillion good things on my JP account.

Did they up the 4* drop rate on the initial pull? I got two Lancer Elizabeths and Ruler Martha.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Aurora posted:

congrats on somehow getting a swimsuit character

Oh, it was Rider Martha, I had them confused.

The biggest thing that stands out from restarting is the extremely low total cost; I can barely field anything! I imagine it'll increase pretty fast with the master xp daily, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This game is kind of fun to play just as a single-player story thing without stressing over gacha poo poo (I'll never equal my ridiculous JP account, which I'd played since release and has like 30 5* servants or something similarly ludicrous). I did the New Year's gacha just so I could start out with a 5* and got Tamamo, which is an acceptable result (I did the Caster one because I figured a 2/3 chance of getting one of the best servants in the game was worth the chance of getting a mediocre one). Mash and Tamamo are a pretty good defensive combo (in JP Mash + Tamamo + Merlin was my "never die" party).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Finally reached a master level where I can do 40AP quests, even if they're a bit of a pain without any good damage dealers of my own (though I have a number of strong people on my friend list already). Gotta find myself a good AoE NP and get the 4* +NP charge craft essence.

The servants I miss most from my JP account are Quetzalcoatl and Gilgamesh.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been grinding the gently caress out of the dango event so I can at least be off to a strong start on my English account. I don't think I'll need any hearts for quite a while, given the first 40AP free quest has dropped a bunch as well.

I forgot, the 40AP free quests have a chance of giving the craft essence, right? While I'm confident in getting enough dango to get all the materials, I'm not sure if I can farm up enough for all 5 CEs (and that's a good CE to ascend IIRC; I remember using it on my Gilgamesh in JP).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

YggdrasilTM posted:

I'll throw some tickets to Dantes.

Yeah, I'll roll on him too. I never got him on my JP account, so it'd be nice to have someone new to play with.

Need to play more of the story once this event ends, since I've been using all my AP on grinding it. Just finished France before it started. I'm doubtful I'll be able to get that 5000 dango CE (though I'm almost done with everything else), so I'm crossing my fingers it drops once during the next couple days.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hypocrisy posted:

I'm kind of in love with Saber Lancelot's kit so I will try and use him to do it if possible.

Moon Festival ended up being a really relaxing experience. Since I already had CEs from last year, farming was a breeze.

Seeing Roman again so soon though...

Saber Lancelot was hands down my favorite servant on my JP account, and I really hope I can get him against in this version (which fortunately should be a bit less difficult due to him being 4*). I grailed him to 90 before (I used all my grails to get 4* servants I liked to 90, plus Lancer Cu since he's extremely good for a 3*; more "bang for your buck" than using 5 just to get a single 5* to 100).

I like crit-based servants, because you can get bigger numbers with crits than with NPs if you're using the right servants/skills.

(Speaking of the Moon Festival, I somehow managed to get all the CEs before the event ended, with just like 2 hours to spare. I prioritized it pretty heavily because that CE is damned good and benefits a lot from a limit break.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yay, got Dantes with "just" 3 ten rolls! Second 5* servant, and one with a AoE NP which will be a huge boost for grinding.

Also got Lancer Cu from the same pull.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Whoo, just got Angra Mainyu from the friend point gacha. Did I get lucky or did they lower his chance for the US version? I remember he was even rarer than 5*s previously.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been using Lancer Cu, and I'm reminded how ludicrous his "dodge 3 attacks" skill is. Between that, his Guts skill, and my Tamamo NP (which shortens skill cooldowns), he can last a really long time.

Thuryl posted:

On average, you can expect to spend somewhere in the ballpark of 1 million FP before getting him, so if you spent less than that you were lucky.

Ah, I just started my English account a few weeks ago so I guess I got lucky (if I had to guess I'd only spent ~50k FP).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dee Ehm posted:

I've easily spent over 10 million FP and have still never seen AngerMan.

On my JP account, which I have had since the game's release in Japan, I have only gotten him once. That's why I was so surprised at getting him so quickly on my English account.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Even these earlier Orders have pretty enjoyable stories, though I know Camelot is where they're supposed to become significantly better. I just finished Okeanos. I think this might be the only gacha game I've encountered that has a story mode that can actually be considered a respectable game on its own, though Fate's whole setting lends itself well to this sort of thing (as opposed to a property like DBZ or One Piece or whatever).

One thing I've noticed is that I'm encountering far more "interesting" choices of supports than I did on my JP account. I'll frequently see level 90 or 100s for pretty unusual servants. My favorite is probably this one level 100 Billy the Kid with maxed out skills.

edit: Speaking of the later Orders, I'm really curious to see how I fare against those, since I remember a bunch of fights from Camelot onward being pretty tough and sometimes requiring me to use the "resurrect everyone" command seal thing. On my JP account I had a ridiculous party full of level 90 5* servants, but I'll be working with something a lot more limited now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This event is going to be a pain in the rear end, because I don't have a big roster of strong enough servants of different classes yet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Whoa, apparently Avengers give bonus to all classes? That'll make things waaay easier with Dantes and the Angra Mainyu I was lucky to get recently.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

They give bonuses to "All"-class coins, not all classes of coins. Only the shop CEs boost all classes of coins.

Dang! Oh well, I'll just have to aim for the shop CEs fast then I guess.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Was able to get up to +19 Assassin coins by stacking a bunch of event CEs on a party full of casters. Might just stick to grinding that and buying those things that make the enemies into assassins when I run out (IIRC you can buy them from the event shop).

edit: Make that +22, managed to find another Merlin with a +5 CE. This might actually be easier than the last event to max out (not counting the chocolates, which I'll only get for a few characters I like).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 8, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is the quest content for this event dependent upon your gender? The one that just unlocked had Emiya and Diarmuid, so I'm wondering if the two attractive male servants were in the question because my avatar is female.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Billzasilver posted:

Use molds often, they’re a lot of fun

Yeah, they're pretty cheap to buy (10 chocolate each, which you more than make back with the benefit from the mold) and they also make farming the highest AP round doable since you can fight enemies who are weak against you. I can usually get +22 now due to finding a couple people with the +5 CE equipped.

I would go as far as to say that not using the molds is just doing the event wrong. You're clearly intended to use them to grind large amounts of specific chocolate types.

I just got one of the 5* CEs from grinding; which effectively saves me the time of grinding 400 chocolate. Wish that had happened during the last event, since I ended up cutting it really close for that. This event's CEs aren't really that great, though the Divine Servant damage bonus one is situationally useful (and I've been unlucky with getting +NP% CEs, so even the +NP% from the Altera NP is better than nothing).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As a counter-anecdote, I played the JP version from release and never got a single 5* from single ticket pulls; all were from 10-pulls. If you really want to maximize your chances, 10-pulls are slightly better (just because they eliminate the very small chance of going 10 rolls without a single >3* card), regardless of people's anecdotal experiences.

Unrelated, but I was just checking out the "special summon" section and holy poo poo; who is actually capable of using that? You apparently get one of the currency for each SSR servant you get after the 5th one, and you need 10 to exchange them. I dont think I've ever seen someone who is so much of a whale that they've maxed NP multiple 5* servants, much less done so enough to get 10 of the currency. It seems like it's a feature for the minority of players who are literal millionaires who blow $10,000 a month on the game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Apparently Astolfo is actually pretty good now (or at least is good in the current JP; not sure if the NA version has their upgrade to their third skill yet). That's good to know because I wanted to use them anyways since Astolfo is cool and I have them at NP2. Seems to have good synergy with Ozymandias (who I also have), who can increase buff chance.

Looking forward to this event ending so I can continue the story quests. Been trying to grind out all the stuff from the event; almost done, just need a few more statues. Neither of these events have given me the stuff I need to ascend my 5* servants, though! Really want to hurry up and get my Dante leveled up (and also come across that loving 4* CEs that give +60% (or 75% limited broken) NP); it'll make grinding dramatically easier, since I've currently been having to fight my way through the first two waves of the dailies normally, which sucks.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like Ozymandias and Gilgamesh would get along. Since I finished getting all materials and CEs from the Valentine's shop (except for the 1000 cubes) I spent what I had left over on a bunch of Valentine chocolsates for various male characters. Caster Gil's was good (and referenced events that haven't happened yet in the story lol).

Now I really need to spend some time grinding XP cards. I desperately need to get Dantes and Caster Gil leveled up so I have some more AoE NPs to use on grinding.

Pureauthor posted:

Unfortunately due to the wonky wording, Ozymandias' skill does nothing for Astolfo. (Ozymandias increases your chance to get buffed. Astolfo has a 100% chance of buffing himself to get 60% chances to do things)

Ahhh, that's a shame.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Since I'm actually using some 3* servants on my NA account, I find that Euryale is quite good! Lots of enemies are male, and she can use her NP frequently with an arts team (and I have Tamamo, so I can create a good team for arts and recharging her skills). She's also my first fully-ascended servant on this account; even though I grinded all the mats from the last two events, I had bad luck with my 5*s needing ascension mats from neither event (Dante, Tamamo, and Ozymandias in this case).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Charm and stun are basically identical, right?

Asimo posted:

Arash is probably the single best farmer in the game, and still great anytime you just want a wave of trash to Go Away while making room for a boss-killer in your lineup.

Spartacus isn't quite as handy in general use, but he's also an amazing farmer and (I think?) the only AOE berzerker with an NP self-charge skill, which has obvious utility.

What makes Arash better than most 4 or 5* servants (who can also 1-shot a wave of farming mobs with an AoE NP)?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dogsicle posted:

Also Arash is better than higher rarity units because he is both a waveclear for any non-lancer node (and even sometimes, lancer nodes) who also swaps in your next unit for free. Otherwise you realistically only get one swap per battle, and only if you use the Plugsuit (so your MC options are limited by that).

Ahhh, I hadn't considered the bolded. That actually is really useful.\

nyttyn posted:

Got Jeanne, Arjuna, Billy, and Orion.

I remember using Arjuna a lot on my JP account. He's supposed not that good according to tier lists (for a 5* servants), but he seemed good to me and his second skill is pretty ludicrous.

I also like his character design and animations a lot.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 4, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sodium Chloride posted:

Used far more sq than I wanted. Got D'eon, Lobo, saber Lancelot, Emiya alter, Edison, Yan x2 and Herc.

Pulled Enkidu, got pissed off and grabbed 90sq from fragments and then this:

That was 540sq used and the most I've ever used. The other times I've pulled have been under 200sq.

This brings back memories of when I got dual Arthur Prototypes in one 10-roll on my JP account back when he was first released.

I wanted Amakusa from this one. Instead I got...uh, Karna *and* Tesla, which I guess is a fine trade-off since I needed a good lancer and archer anyways (previously I had nothing above 3* for both those classes). They're also both servants I never got on my JP account (which is also why I wanted Amakusa; I'm trying to focus on servants I've never gotten to play with).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dogsicle posted:

its secretly the Karna banner. i got him in a ten pull on the Amakusa banner too, along with a copy of Versus (what i actually wanted)

Cool art aside, why were you aiming for the Versus? Is it good for some specific things? I have already the CE from the recent-ish event that gives +30% (limit broken) against Divine servants without the turn limitation (plus +50% NP charge to boot IIRC).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Liffrea posted:

Perfect beautiful husband man showed up after 17 tickets and 60 quartz and I still have plenty left over for a try at Waver and Cuzilla later. :dance:

I know gacha is bad civilization, but I'm a little annoyed that 17 tickets and roughly 80 quartz (I rolled some more after Arthur just to show who else would show up) only summoned two gold Servants. After about thirty quartz I got a silver Saber card that sparked gold...and it turned out to be NP 2 Saberlot, which, great, but also led to yelling.

I also got about fifty copies of the Merlin CE, slightly fewer of the Neverland one, a copy of Hot Sands, Cafe Camelot, the Fionn and Diarmuid one, NP 2 Bedi, and about ten copies of Saber Giles who would not stop showing up, what the hell, I don't even have Jeanne, go away!

lol

If you rolled a 5* and 4* from the equivalent of about 4-5 10-rolls, that's damned good luck. Not amazing, but a bit better than average (I think that someone should normally average a 5* every ten 10-pulls or so). If it was two 4*, I'd say that's about average for that many rolls.

Also Saberlot is great and my favorite servant, so NP2-ing him is good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah it's never a good feel when someone with objectively better gacha than you complains about having poor luck!

The online gacha simulator pisses me off because after failing to get Amakusa Shirou IRL I used the simulator and got 3 copies of him in 5 10-rolls.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Welcome to the Bone Zone.

Don't forget you're here forever.

I find that the least rare mats are usually the bottleneck I run into with ascensions/skills. If you do all the events you can end up with plenty of "rare" mats, but then you'll need like 20-30 bones/disks/whatever for a single ascension or skill-up.

edit: Avengers are a pain to ascend for this reason. My Dantes is stuck at 70 right now.

Rulers are the opposite since they just use easily acquirable statues

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sophism posted:

Their handling of Da Vinci is gross, and yet I can't even tell for sure if it's because of indifference or just awful QA... now that I think about it, it's likely both.

Reminder that this is a localization team that still refuses to make use of spellchecking software. Every single interlude, singularity and event has typos on non-Nasu words that would be picked up instantly by even MS Word's spellchecker. (And adding Nasu terminology to the dictionary is trivial.)

You'd also think that with Da Vinci being such a key character, they'd put effort in treating her decently, but it's hard to expect sensibility to trans representation when the team is hired out of a fanbase that constantly calls d'Eon and Astolfo traps.

Is Da Vinci trans in this? My vague impression is that they just chose to manifest as the Mona Lisa woman because they considered her some "height of beauty" or whatever.

I also got more of just a non-binary vibe from Astolfo (and maybe d'Eon, but particularly Astolfo). I was under the impression they were an "ambiguous gender" character like Enkidu.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Will there be other 40AP event quests unlocked in the coming days? The current 40AP one is going to be pretty dire to try and grind with.

Billzasilver posted:

99% of every servant that started good is still good. Waver is still almost a perfect servant. It takes DW about two years to think of how to make a single new servant better than him.

I feel like FGO has an issue where the optimal team build for all really hard content is pretty much always stalling teams that can keep your hp up and block enemy NPs (which is why Merlin is so ludicrous, and Waver is great because of both his ability to give NP/protection to the team and delay enemy NPs). Almost anything else is just a race against the clock to deal out a bunch of damage, and the hardest content usually has too much HP to out-damage it without something to off-set enemy damage.

Waver was actually bad at release though, IIRC. I seem to remember his attack and defense buff skills originally not giving NP, and he was considered by the earliest players to be one of the shittiest 5*s.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The current 40AP event quest is good because it seems to frequently give Proof of Hero disks, which I desperately need.

Magical Bee posted:

I'm not sad, but I'm starting to think I'm never going to get an SSR Saber :sigh:

Most of the SSR Sabers are lame anyways, while you have cool 3/4* Sabers like Lancelot or that guy with the silver arm.

I also don't have a 5* Saber, though I think that's due to some sort of anti-luck since I was flooded with 5* Sabers on my JP account. IIRC I had NP2 Arturia, Prototype Arthur, Mordred, Altera, and Musashi.

The only one I miss is Mordred.

Cuntellectual posted:

Correct. To date, he's the only character that's gotten a buff that isn't an interlude or strengthen (or indirect like adding skadi)

What are you referring to with Skadi indirectly buffing someone? I read something about Dante working well with Skadi, but Dante seems pretty decent on his own.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 13, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I rolled for Cu Alter. I got Arthur Prototype instead.

Not exactly the best Saber, but at least it's good against the minority of "large enemies" or whatever.

edit: I kinda wonder if he'll get a strengthening quest at some point in the (distant, for NA, since he hasn't in JP yet) future. Does anyone know if most/all servants will receive a strengthing quest at some point? I know it's happened in JP with some servants who used to be kinda lame like Altria.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 15, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't really mind if it's 2+ years until a strengthening; I just want the peace of mind of being able to use my pretty sword man while knowing he will be Mechanically Useful in the future.

Of course, I rationally know that even a sub-par 5* is at least as good as almost all 4*s and plenty good for the vast majority of content, but it's still not the same!

(btw, I read somewhere that BB and King Protea or something count as giant enemies for the purposes of his third skill, though not sure if that's true)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Asimo posted:

This event kinda... sucks, doesn't it? I recall coming nowhere near clearing the ship last year and it doesn't seem to have improved. At least I can skip the CEs and ascension mats this time. :effort:

Unless the levels become dramatically more lucrative in terms of item drops later there's no way I'm going to get everything from this. Getting all the CEs/skulls isn't too bad, at least (only have one skull left).

I think that getting the points should be okay though; I'm more concerned about the items (which I really want because there are at least a couple mats I want to get a bunch of).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rorahusky posted:

Welcome to early FGO events, where the story is short and zero effort, the actual quests are poorly thought out, and the banner focuses on an odd smattering of random servants with barely any connection to the plot.

Do we have any idea when FGO blew up and became a pure money-printing machine? Because I'm wondering if there was a significant uptick in quality of events written after its indefinite business future was basically secured.

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

Half AP Training Grounds and the next Class Based Summoning Campaign are coming up, apparently.

I might buy some quartz so I can roll on the Assassin and Caster days, maybe?

It's always kinda a relief when a banner is something I don't have much interest in rolling on. The only kind of appealing one is the Saber banner, but I have Arthur Prototype and the only one I'd really want to use over him for a combination of character/gameplay reasons is Mordred. Otherwise there's no way I'm rolling on any banner where I don't even want most of the characters on the banner. Chances are low even even when a banner is for a specific servant, much less when it's for several and you don't want 2/3 of them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dogsicle posted:

At least class banners are useful as one of the best ways to get pesky storylocked silvers like CasGilles/Cu, Jaguar, and Bedivere. They also don't have rateup CEs so you may have better chances at the good general pool 5*s.

If they hard limit to a particular class, I guess it could also be useful if you really want a high rarity character of a particular class. For "regular" rate-ups, isn't there a 50% chance that any given 5* will be the rate-up servants and a 50% chance it'll be some other random 5*? If that's the case, I could see a 100% chance of it being "some 5* Saber (or whatever)" being useful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Getting most of the event's stuff might actually be doable now that these later stages seem to give like 70-100 per run. Highest priority is the black dust and the crystal things, since both of those are needed to ascend 5*s I have (forget which ones; I think Tesla and someone else, maybe Ozy or Karna). Doubt I'll get all the points, though I can at least get enough to NP5 Nobunaga.

Events should really let you buy more than 20 of items like the dusts where you frequently need 20+ just for a single ascension or skill-up. On my JP account where I'd farm most events, I remember ending up with this huge stockpile of rare ascension/skill-up items, like hearts, claws, etc, but constantly running low on bones, dragon fangs, dusts, and hero record disks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I'm looking at CEs, and isn't the 4* CE from the Chaldea Boys' event "Noisy Obsession" objectively superior to the 5* "GUDA-O" from this event? They seem to give identical stats (+20% crit damage and +20% NP strength limit broken), except "Noisy Obsession" also gives 15% increased charm chance.