Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2017/jun/14/virginia-shooting-house-majority-whip-congressional-baseball-practice-live

Virginia shooting: House majority whip shot at congressional baseball practice live

quote:

Congressman Mo Brookss full recollection of the incident on CNN:

I was on deck about to hit batting practice on the third base side of home plate and I heard a loud bam and I look around and behind third base and the third base dugout which is cinderblock, I see a rifle. And I see a little bit of a body and I then hear another blam and I realize that theres an active shooter.

At the same time I heard Steve Scalise over near second base scream, he was shot, hes our majority whip. The gun was a semi-automatic. It continues to fire at different people. You can imagine all the people on the field scatter. I run around to the first base side of home plate. We have a batting cage thats got plastic wrapped around it to stop foul balls, and hide behind the plastic. You know the plastics not real good. And I was lying on the ground with two or three others as gunfire continues.

I heard a break in the gunfire and decided to take a chance, ran from home plate to the first base dugout, which is also cinderblock and down about two or three feet so you can have better cover. There were a number of congressman and congressional staffers who help us lying on the ground. One of them was wounded in the leg. I took off my belt and myself and another congressman I dont remember who applied a tourniquet to try to slow down the bleeding.

In the meantime, Im towards the right field side of the dugout and theres gunfire within about five six seven feel of my head and I look up and theres a guy with a gun blasting away. Fortunately, it was one of the good guys. One of our security detail who was shooting back. Of course it was pistol versus rifle, our pistols versus the shooters rifle on the third base line just outside the chain link fence and he was warning us to stay down. Another security detail person was closer to home plate, probably, I couldnt see him but probably on the home plate side of the dugout, outside the fence line using the dugout as cover as hes firing back.

And there must have been 50 to 100 shots fired. Hard to uh, itemize em. Eventually it seems that the shooter shot both of our security detail people. There were some congressman on phones screaming for reinforcements.

Seemed like a long time and we werent even hearing sirens from local police officers which tells me they probably did not yet know what was going on. Eventually the shooter starts circling around third base. This is my understanding. Of course Im down on the ground helping a guy whos got a bullet hole in his leg. And the shooter starts coming around home plate towards we are outside the fence line and my understanding is thats where our security detail, maybe some of the ones who were wounded, still defending us, took him down.

At which point, once we got the all clear that the shooter was down, we ran out to second base for Steve Scalise. He had crawled into the outfield leaving a trail of blood. We started giving him some liquids. I put pressure on the wound in his hip. And Brad Wenstrup, congressman from Ohio, Cincinnati, fortunately is a physician, he started doing what you need to do to minimize the blood loss.

Shorty thereafter more the police showed up. Again, it seemed like forever but it was probably shorter that what it seemed. A helicopter landed in center field and took away whomever folks decided was the most wounded, most critical. I dont know who that person was. At that time the police were causing all of us to gather outside the first base line and the chain link fence and cordoning off the area to help ensure if there was a second shooter we would be better protected.

https://twitter.com/AlexandriaVAPD/status/874976014379749376

quote:

Update on the condition of majority whip Steve Scalise from his congressional office:

This morning, at a practice for the congressional baseball game, Whip Scalise was shot in the hip. He was transported to MedStar Washington Hospital Center, where he is currently undergoing surgery. He is in stable condition.

Prior to entering surgery, the Whip was in good spirits and spoke to his wife by phone. He is grateful for the brave actions of US Capitol Police, first responders and colleagues.

We ask that you keep the Whip and others harmed in this incident in your thoughts and prayers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
praying for a speedful recovering

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Gotta steal all the good jokes now!

So much for the tolerant left field!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
http://theweek.com/speedreads/705668/capitol-police-officer-shot-leg--still-reportedly-ran-after-shooter-took-down

CONGRESSIONAL BASEBALL PRACTICE SHOOTING
This Capitol Police officer was shot in the leg and he still reportedly ran after the shooter and took him down

quote:

The officer who took down the congressional baseball practice shooter was reportedly nearly taken down himself.

Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), who watched the events unfold, said that it was a member of House Majority Whip Steve Scalise's security detail who helped put the shooter in custody. That Capitol Police officer, though, had reportedly already been shot in the leg when he was in pursuit of the gunman.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) told reporters that the only reason Capitol Police were at the game in the first place was because Scalise, being the House whip, was in attendance. If they hadn't been there, "it would have been a massacre," Paul said. Jeva Lange

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ive heard of pistol whip, but this guy was the senate majority whip or something and he got SHOT!!!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
The tolerant left

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it makes you think, but only tasteful, respect filled thoughts about how violence doesn't solve anything.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
where was the good guy with a gun

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I'm glad to hear that even though this was a dangerous situation, everybody was safe

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Congrats liberals, they're saying Middle Aged white guy

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
http://theweek.com/speedreads/705658/rep-brad-wenstrup-baseball-practice-shooting-felt-like-back-iraq-but-without-weapon

Rep. Brad Wenstrup on baseball practice shooting: 'It felt like I was back in Iraq, but without my weapon'

quote:

At least five people were wounded when a gunman opened fire at Republican lawmakers' baseball practice Wednesday morning in Alexandria, Virginia, including Majority Whip Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.). The members were practicing for the upcoming annual congressional baseball game.

Ohio Rep. Brad Wenstrup, a former combat surgeon in Iraq, was at the practice and described the scene to Fox News. "I felt like I was back in Iraq, but without my weapon," Wenstrup said. Alabama Rep. Mo Brooks said other members "deferred to [Wenstrup's] judgment on what to do" and described Wenstrup as using "some kind of scissors device" to cut through Scalise's pants to treat his wound. "We were very lucky" Wenstrup was there, Brooks said.

Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) said he was the first member to reach Scalise where he'd fallen in the outfield, and that he and Wenstrup together "applied pressure" to Scalise's wound. Flake said Scalise "seemed coherent the whole time." Scalise was shot in the hip and is reportedly undergoing surgery for the wound.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TheIllestVillain posted:

In the field, shooting at the congressmen.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
some kind of scissors device, most likely a scissors, has come down from the hills seeking food or possibly employment

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Every time I hear "House Majority Whip" I'm reminded of my MILFy 9th grade civics teacher.

I don't recall what the whip does but I do remember those knee-high skirts rawr.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

blugu64 posted:

Congrats liberals, they're saying Middle Aged white guy

Ahh good, so just a crazy person. Phew! A little more melanin and this might have been a terrorist attack!

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

That's pretty fuckin' bad rear end of Wenstrup. I'll buy that guy a beer.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who What Now posted:

In the field, shooting at the congressmen.

dude, too f***ing far. this is a congressman whe're talking about here.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I hope two things - one that this doesn't become a trend, and two that this puts the fear of god into our elected representatives. Maybe they'll think twice before voting yes on legislation that has real world negative impact on their :hmbol: who am I kidding they'll just make violence against a public official punishable by death and vote to receive taxpayer funded hazard pay

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
They are shutting it down.

From the Guardian.

quote:

4m ago
15:03
From the office of Steve Scalise to Congress:

Members are advised that, given todays events, no votes are expected in the House today. In addition, there will be no morning hour speeches at 10:00 a.m.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Ahh good, so just a crazy person. Phew! A little more melanin and this might have been a terrorist attack!

Definitely terrorism, and attempted assassination

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Who What Now is trying to get the thread gassed again/call attention to the forum by the secret service. He's what you'd call a "bad hombre", in my humble opinion.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Helical Nightmares posted:

They are shutting it down.

From the Guardian.

I thought you meant the thread for a second there, cause they did it once already.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

TheIllestVillain posted:

You mean the Capitol Police, who are being credited with preventing a massacre?

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Shucks, nobody died?

Mass shootings are getting lamer and lamer every year.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Any word on if Rosie Odonell has been picked up?

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

paul_soccer10 posted:

it makes you think, but only tasteful, respect filled thoughts about how violence doesn't solve anything.

Well, it doesn't.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cda posted:

Well, it doesn't.

agreed

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cda posted:

Well, it doesn't.

Big if true

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Who What Now posted:

So much for the tolerant left field!

nice

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Who What Now is trying to get the thread gassed again/call attention to the forum by the secret service. He's what you'd call a "bad hombre", in my humble opinion.

Bad threads should be gassed. I'm doing my part to make that happen as fast as possible.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Nice to hear all of them following the normal rules of baseball and running to bases while this is going on.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
That's one way to break up a double play. Coming hard at 2nd base.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
The gritty reboot of the "Naked Gun: Tales from Police Files" seems to be ahead of schedule.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wow, talk about tasteless

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

SpaceClown posted:

Shucks, nobody died?

Mass shootings are getting lamer and lamer every year.

That's a clown statement bro!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Is hombre Spanish for poster?

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
Good

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

If democrats stopped shooting people, gun violence would drop by 90%

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
lib tard lousy loving aim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

TheIllestVillain posted:

shooting at congressmen
edit drat: someone made the joke

how about

"gently caress this guy, not for what he did but for the inevitable legislative response"

or WATCH TRUMP START A FUCKIN WAR

• Locked thread