Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Can't wait to gently caress this up again!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

All the remaining teams are teams no one likes anyway good riddance

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I cant wait to draft the worst team again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

IMHO as the team that finished last in the EA sim I'm pretty sure I should get first overall so I can ruin Connor McDavid.

e: and also rightfully draft him to the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club of Canada

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jamwad Hilder posted:

FYI I'm out of town starting tomorrow. I shouldn't have a problem announcing my picks, but I won't be putting them in the spreadsheet since I'm not taking a laptop. Thanks in advance.

disqualified

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

gently caress it, the Toronto Maple Leafs are proud to select local boy Steven Stamkos and bring him and his banged up knee home.

edit: Jordan is up

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think this is the first pick that feels like a reach to me.

Yeah I like Mitch Marner and all but still

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Furnaceface posted:

Im making this pick now because I have an 11 hour day at work tomorrow and I dont think whoever is up next should have to wait until 11.

Gonna take one Brent Burns because the Rangers love to do everything big; facial hair, bad tattoos, and contracts.

Yeah if people want they can keep picking through the night but no one is skipped until 12:00EST

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Scheifeles shooting percentage is worrying, for sure, but he was still top ten scoring in the NHL. I had a different player in mind to be honest but ultimately I felt I couldn't pass up the 24-year-old 1C with a nice cap hit. Even if he's "only" a 60-65 point 1C I feel like 17th isn't a terrible place to take him given age and contract.

There were about 5 players I was seriously considering at 19 but I'm figuring with how Stamkos played to start this year and having the entire offseason to get back I'd take a chance that he'd be a 40ish goal scoring center again given that he's only 27. If Scheifele had been available he'd have been right there in the mix, dude had a beastly year even if his goals might drop next year. Even without that he was a 30/30 centerman at 23 without Laine and has turned into a great playmaker with him.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Give me Torey Krug, phone posting.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

ThinkTank posted:

I'll take Taylor "Once #2" Hall

you know Adam Larsson is still available right?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Vincent Van Goat posted:

Nathan MacKinnon

Arabian Jesus has until 11:23 tomorrow to make their pick, and then it moves on to Good Soldier Svejk

By the by since Arabain Jesus missed their other pick Good Soldier Svejk is good to pick whenever.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think we need to do something about Arabian Jesus before the next round gets too deep. My suggestion - highest scoring forward and defenseman available under 30.

For here on out I'd just do some back and forth of highest scoring available Forward or Defenseman still available until he shows up or doesn't unless we find a taker.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Verviticus posted:

trouba here and lindholm at 60 is really funny. i almost took lindholm at 29 and even then hes probably undervalued

shattenkirk, keith, hamilton, krug, ekblad... none of these dudes are as good

With Krug I wanted a defenseman with top end point scoring/powerplay production with my first pick. As much as I like Lindholm as one of the best defenders in the league it was too much to take a 20-30 point defender with my first pick over a 50 point guy. As far as I can see Krug is also more than serviceable as top pairing defenseman in terms of shot generation and defense. That's my story anyway.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Phone posting but give me Viktor Arvidsson please

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I thought about Matt Murray over Arvidsson but I love Arvy.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jordan7hm posted:

I was wondering when he would go. I find we suffer from serious recency bias during these things.

I mean he's 29, has 5 more years at 8,275,000 with a full NMC and has seen startling point drops the past 4 years year over year. And it's not just his shooting his primary assist totals have been falling at an even more alarming rate. He used to be one of the very best in the league at setting people up but not so much anymore. For what it's worth he still seems fine at driving play so that's a decent sign. His decline sure seems to be coming fast and hard though.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Boomer The Cannon posted:

gently caress him up, Socrates.

Just like Socrates I smell bad and am losing hair

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I was hoping for one of Kadri or Slavin in paricular for my pick, now there's only bad players left.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Verviticus posted:

you just need to pick two goalies. honestly i dunno why most people care, the average goalie is like 1% worse than the vezina winner in this stupid league

Tell that to the Winnipeg Jets.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I'll take Nino "El Nino" Niederreiter.

e: ThinkTank is up

Technetium fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 19, 2017

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

mentholmoose posted:

I think I'm going to go with Jake Gardiner to pair with Justin Faulk. His fancy stats seem really good considering the terrible Leafs teams he's played on, and he's coming off a breakout year that isn't bolstered by anything that looks particularly unsustainable.

Here's my team so far:

Eichel

Faulk-Gardiner

Holtby

drat I really wanted Gardiner.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

corn on the cop posted:

The Chicago Blackhawks need a center that can shore up the top-6 and play a stingy defensive game. Come on down, Jordan Staal.

Chicago is also seeking a veteran at RHD. Come on down, Matt Niskanen.

Congratulations on taking both the Men i wanted in one go

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

The Leafs are proud to select current Leafs goalie Frederik Andersen. Choices for starters was starting to get concerning and he's got the biggest track record of "Good Young Goalies" that I wanted to pick from. There's a bunch of others but they hadn't played enough minutes for me to be comfortable taking them. Andersen had a solid first year with the Leafs and seems to be able to do the whole starter thing.

Jordan is up followed by FurnaceFace.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Vincent Van Goat posted:

He seems like a standard 2nd pairing guy, with real good shot suppression

He's about as average a second pair guy as anyone but at least he's 22.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

BTW FurnaceFace is up and has until 6:25 EST as far as I can see. Following him is Ginette Reno and Johnathan Fisk.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jamwad Hilder posted:

How much of Domi having bad fancies is because he's on the Coyotes though?

the eternal question

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

T-Bone posted:

Rask definitely should have went ahead of Andersen. Talbot too. There's a case to be made ahead of Schneider even, I debated for a while but I had Rask last draft.

Rask was average last year, is 30 and has 4 years at 7 million. Andersen's posted better numbers this year and last and is cheaper and younger. No clue why people are down on Andersen but Rask is not better.

e: i should say Rask was a much better goalie than Andersen but he seems to be past his prime now.

Technetium fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 22, 2017

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jordan7hm posted:

30 is not past a goalie's prime, by a long shot

It's when most start declining yes.

T-Bone posted:

I think it's debatable that Rask is past his prime and we're also talking about the goalie with the all-time highest regular season save percentage. I may be underrating Andersen a bit based on his 5v5 numbers though.

Yeah I mean Rask has been amongst the elite during his career but back to back average seasons leave me wondering if he's ever going to be elite again or just a regular starter.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jordan7hm posted:

Patrick Roy came out of the lockout pretty rough and had two mediocre seasons before turning it back around.

Hasek was pretty meh in Detroit for a few years there before being an absolute beast for Ottawa.

Luongo had two pretty average seasons in 2012-14 and then three pretty good seasons.

Tim Thomas's three year run bookended by Vezinas (with losing his job because he wasn't very good during that middle season).

Etc

Good goalies have mediocre seasons some times, for lots of reasons.

I think it's a big assumption to make that Rask will be one of the Best Goalies Ever in terms of longevity. I mean he's proven he can perform at an elite level but age catches everyone.

Jordan7hm posted:

I might buy this argument with another goalie but Andersen has a single season with a save % above 920. His last two seasons, representing 50% of his body of work in the NHL, were barely better than Rask's "mediocre seasons". His other full season was slightly worse. Dude is a .918 goalie after about 5k shots and, other than goalies being voodoo, will probably not be more than that.

And Rask posted back to back .915 seasons to Andersen's .919 and .918. When it's just even strength the last two years (and strip Boston's league leading penalty killing) Rask posted a .923 to Andersen's .928 and declined from last year.

Of course I say all this now and Rask will come out and blow everything out of the water next year.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Give me something called Brady Skjei

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Looks like I made the right pick with Skjei based on you guys, had a hard time believing he was still available after the run on defensemen and couldn't tell if I was missing something.

Verviticus posted:

goddamn the motherfucker who got arvidsson and now his 4.25m 7yr contract

THAT'S ALL HE GOT?? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

FBS posted:

I was worried about losing him after picking Raanta but this is almost exactly where he went last year.

Imagine if he ever plays a full season at some point!

Him or Elias Lindholm would've likely been my next pick as a second line center is exactly what the doctor ordered. Ah well.

e: let's get Vincent Van Goat, Jamwad and Thinktank in here so i can make my pick before tomorrow.

Technetium fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 24, 2017

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I'm going to take the criminally underrated Jeff Petry.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Kilza posted:

gawd damnit

Petry was the other guy I was considering with my 5th round pick, but I liked Pesce and needed forwards so I was hoping he'd keep falling and I could snag him with my 8th round pick.

he's been near the top of my list for at least two rounds now but I needed a goalie and Skjei seemed really good and younger. I needed a actual righty in my defence though and it was between him and settling on a second line center.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

My team's players combined for 420 games last year.

Arvidsson - Stamkos - Niederreiter

Krug - Petry
Skjei - ?

Andersen

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I'll take Vadim Shipachyov

I literally forgot he existed

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

corn on the cop posted:

eXXon selects nice boy Patric Hornqvist.

Verviticus up.

He fell so far I'd hoped he'd keep going. Ah well.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Btw, JoelJoel is up and I think has until 5:17 to pick.

Misters Johnathan Fisk and Ginette Reno to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Near I can tell Jordan has another 10 minutes or so and is up at 7:32 and then it's me and ThinkTank up to bat.

• Locked thread