Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

It's time for the ever-glorious SAS FANTASY DRAFT: ROUND FIVE!

3031 goons assemble to flex their muscle and give credence to all of our awful posts about hockey throughout the season. Each poster serves as their team's GM and drafts from a pool including all current players who are property of an NHL team. You can draft any kind of team you like - if you want to make your team all of the fattest skaters in the NHL, you go for it but Kessel is going to go early. If you want to pretend to be a savvy and seasoned GM trying to make his way to a Cup, you can do that too. Post about your dumb players, and my dumb players, and everyone's dumb players because it's a lot better when people are active and discussing things.

The draft order will snake and be randomly chosen. We use a Google Spreadsheet to keep track of picks and you can make your own pages in there to show devotion to your fake teams if you so desire. As with all pursuits that combine nerdery and sports, this requires some time investment and as the game goes on, perhaps some research to find players to fit your drafting plan; expect to spend a month or two with your good buddies in this thread. Despite the serious element, this is all about fun (and escaping the miserable emptiness of the hockey offseason). I will do my best to discuss my picks and explain what I am doing and it would be cool if some other folks would do the same.

Some people have already laid claim to teams in the N/V threads, in Discord, or wherever and those are reflected in our initial list. Teemu Pokemon and Infidel Castro both called dibs on the Predators, they can fight over who gets it now that the Preds proved themselves as a loser team. I would like to have this started in the first week of July, probably right after our American participants recover from getting brutally drunk on the 4th.

RULES
1. Players you select must be the "property" of an NHL team. This rule seems to have always had a lot of leeway, with people drafting UFAs and various unsigned players. I think it makes sense to do it as, they must have been the property of an NHL team, played the past season in the NHL, or are in the process of coming to the NHL (i.e. the current Ilya Kovalchuk situation). Any input on this one?

2. The 2017-18 salary cap is expected to be a flat $73,000,000 if/when the NHLPA denies the escalator. The projected cap floor is $54,000,000. We will be using both of those numbers for our draft.

3. The draft timer only runs from 10:00 AM EST to 10:00 PM EST. Each drafting team has a 2 hour window during this period and that 2 hours rolls over - if your pick comes on the clock at 9 PM, you have until 11 AM the next day to make your choice. If someone fails to draft within that time, their pick is skipped. They will be auto-skipped until they return to make whatever picks are still due of them. You can pick outside of this window as long as it is your pick, but the timer will not be running on anyone. If you know you are unable to be around to make your pick, there are always several people around that you can send a short list of players to and they will pick for you.

4. We will be selecting 23 players and 1 head coach. You need to take at least 12 forwards, 6 defenseman, and 2 goalies.

TEAMS
EAST
Toronto Maple Leafs - Technetium
Ottawa Senators - Laderhan
Montreal Canadiens - stab
Buffalo Sabres - Jonathan Fisk
Boston Bruins - FBS
Florida Panthers - Aye Doc
Tampa Bay Lightning - mentholmoose
Carolina Hurricanes - Jordan7hm
Washington Capitals - glyynenstein
New Jersey Devils - Vincent van Goat
Pittsburgh Penguins - Ginette Reno
Philadelphia Flyers - Infidel Castro
New York Islanders - Iodized QQ
New York Rangers - Furnaceface
Columbus Blue Jackets - ThinkTank
Detroit Red Wings - Thufir

WEST

Winnipeg Jets - Yaya
Nashville Predators - Teemu Pokemon
Chicago Blackhawks - corn on the cop
St. Louis Blues - eXXon
Calgary Flames - Boomer The Cannon
Colorado Avalanche - take me you ANIMAL
Minnesota Wild - lazerwolf
Vancouver Canucks - Verviticus
Edmonton Oilers - Kilza
Anaheim Ducks - Habibi
Dallas Stars - JoelJoel
Los Angeles Kings - Arabian Jesus
San José Sharks - Jamwad Hilder
Arizona Coyotes - Good Soldier Svejk
Las Vegas Golden Knights - T-Bone

You can see 2016's draft spreadsheet right here if you want to get an idea of where players went last year. If there are rules anyone thinks we need to add or change, point it out and we'll try to make things better.

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

The timer will officially start at 10:00 AM EST on Thursday, July 13!

Draft Order:
1. Chicago Blackhawks - corn on the cop
2. Washington Capitals - glynnenstein
3. Philadelphia Flyers - Infidel Castro
4. Boston Bruins - FBS
5. Tampa Bay Lightning - mentholmoose
6. Ottawa Senators - Laderhan
7. Detroit Red Wings - Thufir
8. Calgary Flames - Boomer The Cannon
9. Florida Panthers - Aye Doc
10. Las Vegas Golden Knights - T-Bone
11. Colorado Avalanche - take me you ANIMAL
12. Nashville Predators - Teemu Pokemon
13. Winnipeg Jets - Yaya
14. Arizona Coyotes - Good Soldier Svejk
15. Los Angeles Kings - Arabian Jesus
16. New Jersey Devils - Vincent van Goat
17. San Jose Sharks - Jamwad Hilder
18. Columbus Blue Jackets - ThinkTank
19. Toronto Maple Leafs - Technetium
20. Carolina Hurricanes - Jordan7hm
21. New York Rangers - Furnaceface
22. Pittsburgh Penguins - Ginette Reno
23. Buffalo Sabres - Jonathan Fisk
24. Dallas Stars - JoelJoel
25. Edmonton Oilers - Kilza
26. Minnesota Wild - lazerwolf
27. Anaheim Ducks - Habibi
28. St. Louis Blues - eXXon
29. Vancouver Canucks - Verviticus
30. New York Islanders - Iodized QQ
31. Montreal Canadiens - Marc "stab" Bergevin

Our 2017 spreadsheet can be found at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HpjAH9GXLGBV_UrSMokwzh1wMwj9gualaX6fvrdyA68/edit

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 12, 2017

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

updated the team list

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I've updated the list again and by my count, we only need 12 more GMs

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Id love to do this again but my work schedule is going to be tight this summer so I wouldnt be able to pick on time very often, plus I have a 4 day vacation coming up in July where I might be unavailable.

If that doesnt bother you guys and you just want warm bodies to help fill in rosters, Id be willing to see if I can somehow draft an older and more expensive Rangers roster than Sather could ever dream of. :unsmigghh:

i'm perfectly cool with this. i'm going to put you down as the Rags future destroyer

with all these updates, we need only 9 GMs to get this going!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

only 4 spots left! I'm sure we can find some more half-committed folks to get this rolling

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

tofes posted:

I'll play but only if I get first pick

i will bend the knee for no man.

list is updated. if tofes would play we'd be full, so one more person left!!!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

i will bend the knee for no man.

list is updated. if tofes would play we'd be full, so one more person left!!!

fake news! sad!

vincent van goat is a shy boy and volunteered to take on the task of making the new jersey devils flourish, so we are full. i'll get the spreadsheet and draft order set up tonight and set a start time :toot:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i worked a double today and i want to die. here's your draft order:

1. Chicago Blackhawks
2. Washington Capitals
3. Philadelphia Flyers
4. Boston Bruins
5. Tampa Bay Lightning
6. Ottawa Senators
7. Detroit Red Wings
8. Calgary Flames
9. Florida Panthers
10. Las Vegas Golden Knights
11. Colorado Avalanche
12. Nashville Predators
13. Winnipeg Jets
14. Arizona Coyotes
15. Los Angeles Kings
16. New Jersey Devils
17. San Jose Sharks
18. Columbus Blue Jackets
19. Toronto Maple Leafs
20. Carolina Hurricanes
21. New York Rangers
22. Pittsburgh Penguins
23. Buffalo Sabres
24. Dallas Stars
25. Edmonton Oilers
26. Minnesota Wild
27. Anaheim Ducks
28. St. Louis Blues
29. Vancouver Canucks
30. New York Islanders
31. Montreal Canadiens

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

stab posted:

Holy poo poo i could not be further from the top pick

Edit: makes sense, i was the simulation Stanley Cup champion :smug:

it means all of the players who best define Habs-nes will be available to you!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

what a great thing to wake up to. god bless this man.

so just to give everyone a day to look at the thread and see that this is starting,

The draft timer will kick off tomorrow, Thursday July 13, at 10:00 AM EST!! HOWEVER this year's fantasy draft is going to feature some Pre-Alpha Early Access. I know the drain of the offseason has left you all worn, so we can start the picking as soon as corn on the cop feels like bringing us the sweet release of faux hockey. nobody is going to get skipped for picks until tomorrow so that everyone has a chance to see that we are going live.

when you guys make a pick, make sure you add the player to the spreadsheet and put his salary information on there. CapFriendly is a fantastic site to get salary information from. we are using the projected salary cap/floor for this coming season of $75,000,000 for the cap and $55,400,000 for the floor. let's party

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

glynnenstein can pick now

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

and we're off

Boomer The Cannon can pick as of 10:00 AM EST. he will be skipped if he does not pick by noon

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 13, 2017

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Boomer is skipped, I am up

The Florida Panthers select RW Nikita Kucherov. elite production, signed for 2 more years on a very nice contract, and just freshly turned 24. unlike all of my bad low scoring teams of the past, I intend to Score Fuckin Goals with this fantasy draft season

T-Bone can select

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

take me you ANIMAL is up, he has until 3:12 pm est

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Furnaceface is up, he has until 11:15 AM EST tomorrow to make his pick

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Mikael Granlund for the Cats

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

The Florida Panthers have scoured the defensive landscape and only one name tickles our collective pickle - Colton Parayko

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

combining the tanger's repeated brain injuries with his innate desire to kill others, i decided to pass but i sure do love him anyway

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

im at work and cant do the spreadsheet but the cats are taking C Tyler Johnson

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

Keep that D train rolling.

Mattias Ekholm

magnificent pick

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i'm tired (of waiting for these slow jerks to pick), who can i send a list to

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the cats take Brendan Gallagher

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

backlund is a most excellent pick

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i'll be at work all day tomorrow, anyone i can send a list to who'll be around?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

whoops

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the florida panthers take Sami Vatanen

x-Granlund-Kucherov
x-Johnson-Gallagher

Brodie-Parayko
Matheson-Vatanen

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 26, 2017

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

kevin fiala is really loving good and that's a great pick. good job corn on the cop.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Phillip Danault for me

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Verviticus posted:

gonna take Arturi Lehkonen with pick #1 and Sven Andrighetto with #2. lehknon is probably going to consistently have more goals than assists throughout his entire career so he'll probably fit well with backstrom and i think andrighetto finally figured it out and signed a pretty good short term contract

sven is awesome, he's good at suppressing shots because he keeps the puck on his own stick and he's shown flashes of being a good scoring line winger. i was hoping he would fall further and i am sure he's gonna make your fake team very happy

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Verviticus posted:

they love him already. there was a parade in fake vancouver

are we doing a trade period after this or during this in order to fix terrible people that couldnt manage their cap

i think this would be a fun addition, especially if we keep cruising along and finish this up with some time to spare before the season. might be down to how many people we have left standing at the end though

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

im taking Carl Hagelin

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the cats squeeze in a pick on their lunch break with C William Karlsson

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Team Fancy Cats!!!!

Danault - Granlund - Kucherov
Hagelin - Johnson - Gallagher
x - Karlsson - x

Brodie - Parayko
Matheson - Vatanen

so far - I like it. let's go team half-assedly thrown together 2nd and 3rd liners (plus Kucherov)

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Everyone get a look at all these slow drafting jabronies

seriously guys this is some canucks-ian quality drafting here. doesn't everyone else have a 79 name list of ranked and positionally-segregated players at the ready and you just pick whoever's left at the top?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jordan7hm has until 5:31 followed by Technetium, ThinkTank, and Jamwad Hilder. it's gonna be a great day of picking, I feel it

Brett Pesce signed an extension for 6 years 4.025m per so I added that info to the sheet. canes making it rain

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Technetium posted:

Give me Colin Wilson. It was supposed to be Eriksson Ek but nooooooooooo

a Good rear end Pick

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Technetium posted:

Lol which 3 teams still don't have a goalie.

there are still several Playoff Caliber, First Round Exit free with purchase, level goaltenders available tyvm

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

craig smith is a killer pick. maybe even better than the wilson pick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

all the wingers i wanted are gone so give me Jaroslav Halak

• Locked thread