Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I will bring glory to Arizona again, so long as we still have no native Arizona fans more inclined to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I turned Tarasenko into Ovie and Arizona into the Washington Capitals.
It's a marked improvement for them.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Contract the unclaimed teams.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'll still never forget the guy who took Tyler Johnson in the top 15 (I think it might have even been top 10) like 3 years ago.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Tough choice between 4 or 5 guys and I kinda wish I picked later so I didn't have to make the choice but I'll go with Tyler Seguin

e: oh gently caress Seguin in Vegas

Make sure you save a roster spot for a body-pillow packed full of azithromycin.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Teemu Pokemon posted:

The Nashville Perds are proud to announce that there has been a skipped pick, and that pick is skipped to the Nashville Perds. With this skipped pick, a player must be selected.

That player will be selected by Nashville.

That player is Vladimir Tarasenko.

That's the word, ya heard?

drat, that scoring slump last season has goal-scorers at a premium this year.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Man, picking at this stage is like pulling teeth.

I was hoping for Hedman so instead I'll take John Tavares
I imagine he's due a big payday but I think he's got at least 5 good years left in him and maybe 5 more decent ones after that.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I legitimately think that he is elite or just on the cusp, is young, signed decently long on a contract that doesn't even look that bad now, and has good fancies on a so-so team. I was going to pick Kucherov for similar reasons but he was sniped on me (and I might've gone this way anyway because Kucherov is gonna get like 9M in two years). There were a few centers (one in particular) that I considered there, but I feel like top flight wingers have the shallowest pool compaired to centers and D of a similar caliber so :supaburn: positional scarcity :supaburn:

Also maybe I'll get a good center and what then???? What say you Blues? Wanna see Tarasenko score 60 goals when he's not saddled with whatever aging crap you trot out there???

e: McDavid, Laine, Matthews, Karlsson, and maybe Eichel were the only guys on my list I had ranked ahead of him

e2: I've been phone posting for the last few days because I never unpacked my laptop when I went away last weekend so I'll update my team page on the spreadsheet later

Don't get me wrong - I think he's a solid pick (I got him at 14 last year and would've jumped to have him at 12 this year.) Guys who can score 40 goals are rare, winger or no - and when it comes to quality centers I think that well is a lot deeper than wingers of Tarasenko's stature.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Phone posting so will try to effort it later.

Patrick Kane was already taken, and this guy is just a younger Patrick Kane. Carolina takes Mitch Marner.

e; it feels like this year is skewing younger than years past.

I think this is the first pick that feels like a reach to me.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Really surprised Josi went "before" Doughty, and maybe a good 5-10 other defensemen in that age/skill range.
Maybe I don't know his body of work all that well, though so I could be off base here.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Lol if you took a winger just lol

The following is a list of successful teams built around a winger:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Habibi posted:

Sorry I'm late guys; life, work, etc..

I'm having all sorts of trouble bringing the spreadsheet up on my phone right now, but with all of my early forward picks off the board, give me Josi and Werenski if they're still available.

Werenski is. Josi isn't - a lot of you folks are high on that guy for some reason. His suppression stats are pretty garbage.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm at a wedding but I will make my pick tonight since I will undoubtedly be too hungover to do it tomorrow morning.

Mr. Benning? Is that you?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm phone posting so Seth Jones please. There are better players out there but I'm buying into the youth for this one as a building block. That and right handed D-men seem more scarce than left.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Laderhan posted:

Gimme boring rear end Sean Monahan

I almost took Monahan over Jones. I really like boring Sean Monahan - to the point where I'm almost certain I overvalue him, but he's awesome all the same and I'm surprised he went so late in the 2nd round.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think we need to do something about Arabian Jesus before the next round gets too deep. My suggestion - highest scoring forward and defenseman available under 30.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Well it's Kessel and Jultz if we're going for under 30 or Kessel and Keith if we're going straight for points. Keith might be the better logical choice than Jultz even factoring in age. He's got another 3-4 years left in him and I could see him playing out his contract pretty easily, actually.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

take me you ANIMAL posted:

What's gonna happen when he has ten picks and hits the cap hit already?

I'd say if it goes another round or two and we can't find a taker we can do a consensus BPA. We had to do that before and it worked out pretty well.
Might be worth posting it in the off-season thread and seeing if we can get a taker in here though.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

The Florida Panthers have scoured the defensive landscape and only one name tickles our collective pickle - Colton Parayko

You bastard he was almost back to me!

But anyway - really good pick. I don't watch a whole lot of St. Louis but when I do this guy is consistently one of the most impressive guys on the ice.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

take me you ANIMAL has until 12:09, then Teemu Pokemon

Also Letang is a definitely a steal. He's a legit #1 and I think he'll come back like a man possessed next year. Until he gets concussed again.
But I also think that with each concussion he loses a bit of human compassion and knowledge of things outside of hockey, so in a way he's only going to get better.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Teemu Pokemon is on the clock until 2:09 ET, then Kilza

Also, all told Letang has played 75% of the total regular season games over the last 10 years. While his health is devastatingly suspect, he has still somehow managed to keep himself around for the most part.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He's getting old and he's expensive, but he's still on the board and all of you guys are building young so someone needs to build to win now.

Anze Kopitar
He had a very bad year shooting percentage-wise last season. I fully expect he'll be back in the 20-30 goal 60-70 point range next season. His contract is super-loving goofy but when you compare his fancy stats to Toews it's not so far out.

Tavares/Kopitar/Jones, a little something for now and a little something for later.

Arabian Jesus is still being consensus-ed so Vincent Van Goat is up followed by Jamwad Hilder

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

FBS posted:

I was waffling between Carter and Kopitar for a while but man, if he doesn't bounce back that contract is going to be so awful. Plus I've got to pay Matthews in a couple years.

No doubt Carter is the better choice, especially if he's the #1C for a team. What really pushed me over the edge is how similar Kopitar is to Toews, down to the stupid contract. His deployment, the minutes he eats free up hypothetical Tavares to run hog-wild on

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kilza posted:

Consensus pick for Jesus right now would be James van Riemsdyk, if we want to pick for him right away.

Works for me. I doubt anyone is too terribly high on JVR that they'd be upset to lose him, at least.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Matt Murray is a drat good goalie - I almost took him with my last pick. The only thing is while I'm convinced an awful goalie can tank a good team, I'm not convinced an average to above-average goalie really makes a difference in overall team success in the same way a guy like Price or younger Lundqvist would.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I was pretty torn between Giroux and Kopitar (since Giroux's contract is shorter and cheaper and he still does a better job putting up the points).
That said I think he's probably the last unpicked unequivocal 1C (save the ancient, bearded one) so if you haven't got one by now you're pretty much a "building for the future" sort of team

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Goddamn Perry is 32? When did that happen?

Also probably a good call - he was 4% off his career shooting percentage last season so unless he is imploding he's probably good for another year or two of hitting 30

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

lazerwolf posted:

Gimme Alex Wennberg

I almost picked him over Kopitar but his fancy stats and shooting percentage spike have me really thinking he might be more of the 40-50 point player than the 50-60 sort.

That said he did look fairly impressive in the first round series against the Pens so who's to say?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Laderhan posted:

consensus pick right now would be Eric Staal, everyone fine with that?

Team old auto-pick is going to win the cup in our league for the next 3 seasons while everyone's junior teams age up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

In any case - 10AM so my turn to go.

Ivan Provorov is the one-eyed man in the land of the blind - I mean the best defenseman on the Flyers. Not exactly the highest praise, but rest assured I think he's a better than or at the very least comparable to a handful of the young bucks that have already come through (Hanifin, Slavin, Ghost, etc.) At 20 he is already playing the toughest minutes and making Andrew Macdonald look like an NHL defenseman again. More importantly, he's cost controlled for a few more seasons which is very important because of some fucker's $10 million dollar forever contract.

Kilza is up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

corn on the cop posted:

Teemu Pokemon selects the man with a two-letter first name, J.T. Miller.

Some Rangers fan can fact-check me here but I recall being told this guy is a dogshit center and infinitely better as a LW.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Infidel Castro posted:

Keep that D train rolling.

Mattias Ekholm

He was my next pick. That contract is amazing for what he brings.

Also why was Nate Schmidt drafted? Is there a gimmick I'm missing out on?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Phone posting so unfortunately lacking in gifs and elegance, but due to this dman run I'll be reuniting Tavares with his buddy Travis Hamonic

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I guess I should take a defenseman at some point, so I'm going to start now with Cam Fowler and his very big contract.

If you want a defenseman I think you'll have to try picking again.

I will never not take the opportunity to poo poo on Cam Fowler especially with his new giant contract.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

Meh, small sample size blah blah. I guess my beef is really just that I don't know who he is and he doesn't do lots of points. Really question: was he picked last time and if so how'd he do in the eshl sim?

He did. He went ~425 last year so... While he may have had a good year, that seems like a bit of a gamble erring on the side of youth over skill. I think there are a lot of comparable guys in there early 20s that might have been safer choices, but who ever really can tell with that sort of thing?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Verviticus posted:

its too early to pick goalies

i didnt want to take canucks but im left with no choice, chris tanev come on down

nobody is scoring against my team, ever

i wont lie, i kinda dreamed of putting a guy like ristolainen with a guy like tanev but oh well

I really like the structure of your team so far.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

At a bar phone posting but in the interest of keeping things going give me Gabriel Landeskog

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mentholmoose posted:

Alright, I'm going to do a thing, and take Conor Sheary. He's youngish, his fancies are good, his points are good, and while he won't get to play with Crosby anymore he can still play with Jack Eichel.

Sheary-Eichel-?

Faulk-Gardiner
?-Spurgeon

Holtby

For reference/your building, he's equally good on the left and right wing.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Arizona Coyotes are very super excited to select their second former Colorado Avalanche-ian, Mikko Rantanen.

He's a 20 year-old giant child who scored 20 goals on an abysmal, horrendous team. As much as I am remiss to select a second part of what is unequivocally one of the worst teams in the league, his ELC and prowess cannot be passed up.

Also that gives me this so far.

Landeskog - Tavares - Rantanen
X - Kopitar - X

Provorov - Jones
X - Hamonic

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Jakob Silfverberg

Good pick. Should not have still been available and would not have made it past my next slot.

• Locked thread