Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Komet posted:

Just caught up on the other thread...

So who does Michigan State go for now that it's almost February?

John Harbaugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Is Dantonio out confirmed?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

an adult beverage posted:

Is Dantonio out confirmed?

Nah, just speculation on him and Izzo running rampant right now.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Do they go Narduzzi, or is his name going to pop up a lot in these reports to come out soon? Like, either way if I am the Pitt AD I am doing a low key search for a new HC.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

swickles posted:

Do they go Narduzzi, or is his name going to pop up a lot in these reports to come out soon? Like, either way if I am the Pitt AD I am doing a low key search for a new HC.

I feel like even if his name was clean, AD probably wants fresh start.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

swickles posted:

They're not going to be able to go within like 3 degrees of the old regime, it's all toxic now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah he'd have been the obvious move under normal circumstances but hiring a long time Dantonio assistant is probably not the best look.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Narduzzi just signed an extension at Pitt through 2024. I have no idea what the buyout is on that kind of deal, but I imagine it's pretty steep given that Pitt has been on the carousel way too often the last several years.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I doubt it's much of anything. This is the second time in 24 months Pitt has given him an extension, they want him way more than he wants Pitt. They were already paying him peanuts, I doubt they hit him with any meaningful buyout number for whatever moderate bump they gave him which, by the way, happened just about 2 months ago and there's still no actual numbers on it so I'm guessing it wasn't much.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

I doubt it's much of anything. This is the second time in 24 months Pitt has given him an extension, they want him way more than he wants Pitt. They were already paying him peanuts, I doubt they hit him with any meaningful buyout number for whatever moderate bump they gave him which, by the way, happened just about 2 months ago and there's still no actual numbers on it so I'm guessing it wasn't much.

There aren't actual numbers on it because Pitt doesn't have to disclose full contact details if they don't want. They were a private school until the 60s and are now "state-related". They're basically like Temple.

E: Penn State's also state-related but it was a more round-about way of getting them there. Something with land grants that I don't remember exactly.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

DJExile posted:

There aren't actual numbers on it because Pitt doesn't have to disclose full contact details if they don't want. They were a private school until the 60s and are now "state-related". They're basically like Temple.

E: Penn State's also state-related but it was a more round-about way of getting them there. Something with land grants that I don't remember exactly.

Narduzzi's previous salary is a known thing (it's super low, almost dead last in the ACC) and the fact that it's been 2 months since they've announced the extension and not a shred of the contract has been disclosed likely speaks to its shittiness and not to some pseudo-private nonsense.

It's probably not a good contract, that's all. If it was, Pitt and Narduzzi would have been the first to tell it.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 29, 2018

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Programming note: if Dantonio falls from this, that'll close the 2017 carousel and open the 2018. I didn't think it'd get earlier than the last two (May and June respectively), but that'd be it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kayakyakr posted:

Programming note: if Dantonio falls from this, that'll close the 2017 carousel and open the 2018. I didn't think it'd get earlier than the last two (May and June respectively), but that'd be it.

Please let us know when the carousel is "officially closed". Thank you :)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'd say it's closed after signing day, since at that point there's really no purpose in attempting to bring in someone new as opposed to just naming an interim.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Goldmining the hell out of this thread on that day.

This offseason must live forever

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

If/when D'Antonio is out I'd guess you'd go interim at this point with whoever you can get and address it next year?

Maybe some low level MSU grad coach is hanging around who might want the job. I guess Jim Grobe is out there if he wants to finish his career up by taking jobs like this.

Loving the idea of Jim Grobe wandering the country like the 70s Hulk, waiting to take one year jobs at schools rocked by rape scandals before moving on, unwanted

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

I'd say it's closed after signing day, since at that point there's really no purpose in attempting to bring in someone new as opposed to just naming an interim.

Generally singing day or after the super bowl, imo.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Loving the idea of Jim Grobe wandering the country like the 70s Hulk, waiting to take one year jobs at schools rocked by rape scandals before moving on, unwanted

Lmao

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Jim Grobe is the hero we don't deserve.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

"THE MERC," coming this fall on ESPN 8 THE OCHO.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Until LSU, Coach O sort of fit the bill for go-to interim coach. Although with him he was more of a Jonah, already on the staff.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

Until LSU, Coach O sort of fit the bill for go-to interim coach. Although with him he was more of a Jonah, already on the staff.

Doesn't he actually have a pretty drat good record as interim coach? Like way better percentwise than as a head coach?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KKKLIP ART posted:

Doesn't he actually have a pretty drat good record as interim coach? Like way better percentwise than as a head coach?

Yeah. His USC stint was great, all the stories were about how he had saved the team by like taking them out to movies and pizza, like he was a new step dad trying to bond or something.

I think LSU and USC lend themselves well to an interim too, because they're free from all the tension of the old coach possibly getting fired and by necessity the interim has to keep things super simple, so the talent can just go out and win without the coach getting in the way too much

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah. His USC stint was great, all the stories were about how he had saved the team by like taking them out to movies and pizza, like he was a new step dad trying to bond or something.

I think LSU and USC lend themselves well to an interim too, because they're free from all the tension of the old coach possibly getting fired and by necessity the interim has to keep things super simple, so the talent can just go out and win without the coach getting in the way too much

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
E: double post

MourningView fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 30, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
E: triple post what the gently caress

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Tech hired Kevin Johns as OC away from Western Michigan. Don't know if he'll actually call plays or just work on offensive game planning and bring in more running concepts, but that's what it is.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

Tech hired Kevin Johns as OC away from Western Michigan. Don't know if he'll actually call plays or just work on offensive game planning and bring in more running concepts, but that's what it is.

He was OC, QB, and WR coach under Kevin Wilson at Indiana.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

Nice quad post Gramps

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

kayakyakr posted:

1. Run the ball.

2. Run the dang ball.

3. Run the golldang ball.

4. RUN THE GODDAMNED BAWLLLLL, PAWLLLLL

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

MourningView posted:

Mods!

If month one involves Frost risking renal failure in his players, I can't wait to see what's next in Lincoln.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Fuente/VT makes the most underwhelming beameresqe hire they could imagine promoting some dude you've never heard of to be the 10th coach. Completely disappointing. Fuente is rapidly burning up his good will with parts of our fanbase by not being aggressive enough just about everywhere.

On the one hand it's probably not surprising we didn't completely move away from the Beamer mold, on the other hand we really needed to get a more modern approach than "hire your buddies and keep em forever" as a coaching hallmark.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

tell the boys, I will coach the michigan state spartan

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Fuente/VT makes the most underwhelming beameresqe hire they could imagine promoting some dude you've never heard of to be the 10th coach. Completely disappointing. Fuente is rapidly burning up his good will with parts of our fanbase by not being aggressive enough just about everywhere.

On the one hand it's probably not surprising we didn't completely move away from the Beamer mold, on the other hand we really needed to get a more modern approach than "hire your buddies and keep em forever" as a coaching hallmark.

This is as bad a hire as Beamer ever made. Abysmal and disappointing in every way possible and proof positive Fuente is not going to be the guy going forward.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vyst posted:

Nice quad post Gramps

I am blaming the poorly coded forum and not me being a fat fingered doofus who used to regularly accidentally lock threads while phone posting

Crotch Bat posted:

This is as bad a hire as Beamer ever made. Abysmal and disappointing in every way possible and proof positive Fuente is not going to be the guy going forward.

Lol

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Lol Fuente can't hire out of comfort zone
Lol hiring nobodies from nobody programs
Lol this guy can't recruit
Lol this guy has no experience at P5
Lol all of VT's best coaches are unequivocally guys with P5 experience
Lol all of VT's worst coaches are people Fuente brought with him from Memphis
Lol guess where this coach is from
Lol Fuente still acts like he's at Memphis and doesn't make moves consistent with what a good P5 coach would do

Lol

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I can't tell if you people are joking.

You went from 2 consecutive 7-6 seasons to a 10-4 in the dude's first season and lol you think the program is melting down.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

vyst posted:

I can't tell if you people are joking.

You went from 2 consecutive 7-6 seasons to a 10-4 in the dude's first season and lol you think the program is melting down.

I am loving astounded at the ignorance of this posted by a fan of a team who just fired a coach in year 3 after showing, hmm, a 10-4 and 9-4 record in his first 2 years after the team went 4-8 and 7-5 in the two prior years and winning the division each of those years as well. Absolutely loving astounded you could be this stupid.

You guys are such a broken record at this point. Everything you bitch about concerning your team is a legit point worthy of discussion and highly valued, the exact same situations elsewhere "what are you talking about shutup you have it so good". Like just about every last one of you does this and I'm not even sure you grasp that you do.

The hire is so bad even the people who assume no coach can do wrong thing it's a lovely hire. When the entire fanbase comes together and agrees on something it's a pretty bad sign for, well, anything.

The 10th coach is a recruiting hire at every school (if it's not, you're in trouble as well) and Fuente hired a guy he knew from Memphis who has no connections whatsoever to any recruiting footprint VT hits up and who has no experience at the P5 level. Fuente had months and months to get this hire right and he waits until the last minute and hires from within. It's a really, really bad sign and just another reason why I think he won't be here in 4-5 years.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 30, 2018

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

What is the joke when we expect our P5 coach to hire and recruit to the position I think most of us feel VT should be?

Most places hire a new coach and usually instantly have recruiting returns. We didn't, basically just recruiting at the same level in terms of results. Every school in the country had a year to figure out their 10th coach, and lots of quality coaches moved from good programs to other quality programs for a new opportunity. loving SHANE BEAMER LEFT GEORGIA TO GO TO OKLAHOMA. Top quality coaching staffs find ways to get above replacement level hires when a new opportunity hits. Fuente either completely whiffed or didn't care enough to look outside the building. Either way it's a frustrating point for VT fans because I think we can see the missing pieces to our program taking the next step and Fuente is def doing more of the same that kept us good, but not really good enough for a long time under Beamer. We wanted new and better, and after 2 years a lot of us are feeling like we didn't really.

Yes he got us back to being ranked, and people paying attention, and we are right back to making GBS threads the bed in primetime. We are doing a lot better than many places, but I still don't think we're maximizing what the program could be and Fuente with hires like this isn't getting us there (at least perception wise).

I'm not off the Fuente train yet, he can still prove it in the next couple seasons with what he has recruited (esp at WR & QB), but I think at this point we're past the point where he is immune from criticism for his underwhelming decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The Notorious ZSB posted:

We wanted new and better, and after 2 years a lot of us are feeling like we didn't really.

No idea why people can't grasp this one. This is so much like Beamer it's scary. It is exactly what Frank would have done and that's because Frank never gave a poo poo about recruiting.

• Locked thread