Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

I am loving astounded at the ignorance of this posted by a fan of a team who just fired a coach in year 3 after showing, hmm, a 10-4 and 9-4 record in his first 2 years after the team went 4-8 and 7-5 in the two prior years and winning the division each of those years as well. Absolutely loving astounded you could be this stupid.

You guys are such a broken record at this point. Everything you bitch about concerning your team is a legit point worthy of discussion and highly valued, the exact same situations elsewhere "what are you talking about shutup you have it so good". Like just about every last one of you does this and I'm not even sure you grasp that you do.

The hire is so bad even the people who assume no coach can do wrong thing it's a lovely hire. When the entire fanbase comes together and agrees on something it's a pretty bad sign for, well, anything.

The 10th coach is a recruiting hire at every school (if it's not, you're in trouble as well) and Fuente hired a guy he knew from Memphis who has no connections whatsoever to any recruiting footprint VT hits up and who has no experience at the P5 level. Fuente had months and months to get this hire right and he waits until the last minute and hires from within. It's a really, really bad sign and just another reason why I think he won't be here in 4-5 years.

Fun fact, we at least waited until his 3rd year coaching before we had these types of reactions.

But yea, keep melting down you crazy diamonds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Wait wait, did I mention where Fuente promoted another coach to co-DC, sharing the title with Bud loving Foster now?

I mean holy poo poo.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 30, 2018

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You're basically the Virginia Tech version of Marquis De Pyro, Crotch Bat.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

vyst posted:

Fun fact, we at least waited until his 3rd year coaching before we had these types of reactions.

But yea, keep melting down you crazy diamonds.

You didn't, at all. You guys were bitching about his recruiting from the start. Also there isn't a medal given to "waits until first season that isn't 9+ wins to complain".

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
:jerky:

I am so glad we literally can't fire our coach for like 8 years so we can just be in for the ride and not worry about whether it makes sense to fire him. It's like when Cortes burned his ships.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Crotch Bat posted:

You didn't, at all. You guys were bitching about his recruiting from the start. Also there isn't a medal given to "waits until first season that isn't 9+ wins to complain".

Pretty sure the complaints about recruiting were all directed at Muschamp since he left Mac 5 total OL on scholarship his first year. People even gave him a pass because of Muschamps lopsided recruiting. Even prior to this season, it was 50/50 on him being fired or giving him a final chance to turn the offense around. It was clear from the first game the offense was going to suck, so that 50 flipped real fast.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Virginia Tech is an austere campus tucked into the frigid talent desert of SW Virginia's New River Valley. If people find Tech fans' lamentations overdone it's because the expectations in Blacksburg are really sky high despite what to outsiders appear to be powerful headwinds and a program in relative disarray when Beamer retired. Fuente has the ACC's fourth best recruiting class, which isn't bad.

Florida got rid of a coach who couldn't run an offense ranked higher than 110th despite top 10 recruiting classes.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Recruiting is bullshit

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

swickles posted:

Pretty sure the complaints about recruiting were all directed at Muschamp since he left Mac 5 total OL on scholarship his first year. People even gave him a pass because of Muschamps lopsided recruiting. Even prior to this season, it was 50/50 on him being fired or giving him a final chance to turn the offense around. It was clear from the first game the offense was going to suck, so that 50 flipped real fast.

Not once have I said fire Fuente. I just said I can see he won't be here eventually (and not like a cosmic eventually, I mean probably 4-5 years). His hires and decision-making are not what they should be for a good P5 program like VT and will cause his eventual downfall. I'm not actively campaigning for him to be fired right now, he's clearly done some things well initially but he's not making decisions to move VT forward and when he spins his wheels eventually the tires will deflate and then he'll get removed. It's exactly what happened with Beamer. He won 10 games a year a lot of times in a row, that became his goal each year (he would literally flaunt the 10 win streak as proof things were perfect in Blacksburg) instead of moving the goal posts, he made poor hires, and eventually, well, you saw what happened.

His current on-field results are mostly fine but he's made several poor off-field decisions that will eventually do him in, in my opinion. The only reason I feel so strongly about this is because I saw Frank's end come years and years before it even started and Fuente is doing all the same stuff. This hire is to a point exactly what Beamer would have done and that's not a good thing because Frank had very few good hires over his long career, which is why he doesn't have a coaching tree to speak of either.

It's also an issue because right now Miami is on an enormous upswing, he can't beat GT, and UNC is making hires that if they don't beat him on the field will beat him in recruiting and that's all before crossing the issue that is FSU and Clemson in the other side of the conference. Half the conference is ahead of VT on the field and/or off of it, that simply can't be if he's going to have long-term success.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 30, 2018

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Crotch Bat posted:

Not once have I said fire Fuente. I just said I can see he won't be here eventually (and not like a cosmic eventually, I mean probably 4-5 years). His hires and decision-making are not what they should be for a good P5 program like VT and will cause his eventual downfall. I'm not actively campaigning for him to be fired right now, he's clearly done some things well initially but he's not making decisions to move VT forward and when he spins his wheels eventually the tires will deflate and then he'll get removed. It's exactly what happened with Beamer. He won 10 games a year a lot of times in a row, that became his goal each year (he would literally flaunt the 10 win streak as proof things were perfect in Blacksburg) instead of moving the goal posts, he made poor hires, and eventually, well, you saw what happened.

His current on-field results are mostly fine but he's made several poor off-field decisions that will eventually do him in, in my opinion. The only reason I feel so strongly about this is because I saw Frank's end come years and years before it even started and Fuente is doing all the same stuff. This hire is to a point exactly what Beamer would have done and that's not a good thing because Frank had very few good hires over his long career, which is why he doesn't have a coaching tree to speak of either.

It's also an issue because right now Miami is on an enormous upswing, he can't beat GT, and UNC is making hires that if they don't beat him on the field will beat him in recruiting and that's all before crossing the issue that is FSU and Clemson in the other side of the conference. Half the conference is ahead of VT on the field and/or off of it, that simply can't be if he's going to have long-term success.

Yeah, it's entirely true. We're not the premier program in our division anymore, much less our conference, and hiring a guy whose only experience is following Fu around TCU and Memphis as support staff to be a P5 assistant coach is asinine. We whiffed on hiring a coach from a smaller D1 program in North Carolina specifically for his recruiting footprint, and are now left with promoted support staff, with 0 experience or proven talent, as an actual assistant. Our expectations are actually pretty reasonable for the premier program at a football-first school in a talent-rich state with multiple talent rich states around us with no premier football programs of their own: 9-10 wins most years and a shot at the conference championship game. Fuente's offense has been bad for a P5 school, and that's his entire wheelhouse. He hasn't signed a single ACC starting caliber running back yet in three years. He hasn't even been competitive in any big games, though he has won a ton of cupcakes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

"His record is inflated by cupcakes" is my favorite 'coach is actually bad' argument, as it implies there are P5 coaches out there who play a full slate of 7 wins or better P5 bowl teams.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

General Dog posted:

"His record is inflated by cupcakes" is my favorite 'coach is actually bad' argument, as it implies there are P5 coaches out there who play a full slate of 7 wins or better P5 bowl teams.

Our conference games are cupcakes, our OOC were cupcakes. Our best win in his entire tenure is against a 7-6 unranked team. Very impressive. Keep in mind your conference schedule for one year is harder than our OOC for the last 3.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Nur_Neerg posted:

Our conference games are cupcakes, our OOC were cupcakes. Our best win in his entire tenure is against a 7-6 unranked team. Very impressive. Keep in mind your conference schedule for one year is harder than our OOC for the last 3.

I'm not even saying it's necessarily wrong in your case, but I'd say it's stupid maybe 80% of the time. "What's the best win?" is a much stronger way to get at essentially the same point.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

General Dog posted:

I'm not even saying it's necessarily wrong in your case, but I'd say it's stupid maybe 80% of the time. "What's the best win?" is a much stronger way to get at essentially the same point.

It's also a big point of contention with the fanbase that we've mostly avoided getting the big name teams in the conference in Blacksburg for a while now, so doubly bad competition. Combined number of times FSU, ND, Clemson have played in Blacksburg the last 5 years? Once.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

OH BOY HAS IT BEEN TWO WEEKS ALREADY, TIME FOR ANOTHER CROTCH BAT MELTDOWN

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Nur_Neerg posted:

It's also a big point of contention with the fanbase that we've mostly avoided getting the big name teams in the conference in Blacksburg for a while now, so doubly bad competition. Combined number of times FSU, ND, Clemson have played in Blacksburg the last 5 years? Once.

ACC scheduling is trash and it's a joke we aren't playing 9 conference games with the ND deal on the books too. The rotation is utter trash to the detriment of the conference. That's sort of unrelated to coaching, but it doesn't help perception when you don't get to play the big dogs in your conference and just rack up W's vs the less thans.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

To be fair, having our cross division rival be FSU and yours being BC has affected the coastal once or twice.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Dilber posted:

To be fair, having our cross division rival be FSU and yours being BC has affected the coastal once or twice.

Matt Ryan tried to do some work there too, the rear end in a top hat. If VT's scheduling were like the VT of old where we were playing a ranked UM, ranked WVU, ranked BC every year, that'd be fine, but as it is we don't often see ranked teams in conference and still have middling records.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Crotch Bat posted:

Wait wait, did I mention where Fuente promoted another coach to co-DC, sharing the title with Bud loving Foster now?

I mean holy poo poo.

I'm all for making fun of VTech fans but holy poo poo this seems stupid

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Breaking News Bulletin

FSU owns

Thank you

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Adun posted:

I'm all for making fun of VTech fans but holy poo poo this seems stupid

Ya, really confused. These all seem like valid criticisms.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

pillsburysoldier posted:

Breaking News Bulletin

FSU owns

Thank you

Fake news.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I want you guys to remember these types of reactions to a 10th coach hiring when you say that Texas fans are bad

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Democrazy posted:

I want you guys to remember these types of reactions to a 10th coach hiring when you say that Texas fans are bad

Texas hired a legitimate addition to the staff for their 10th coach sooooo

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Democrazy posted:

They aren't mutually exclusive things

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Crotch Bat posted:

You guys are such a broken record at this point. Everything you bitch about concerning your team is a legit point worthy of discussion and highly valued, the exact same situations elsewhere "what are you talking about shutup you have it so good". Like just about every last one of you does this and I'm not even sure you grasp that you do.

as a jayhawks fan am i allowed to bitch about my team

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

how dare Fuentes act like he's still at Memphis, doesn't he know that now he's at Memphis But In A Power 5 Conference

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DECIDED

SCHEMATIC

ADVANTAGE

quote:

FAU: The addition of Charlie Weis as the team’s offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach has now been formally announced.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DJExile posted:

DECIDED

SCHEMATIC

ADVANTAGE

I thought this was Charlie Jr.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I thought this was Charlie Jr.

It is. He's literally my age and has me ready to do the thing where I just blanket my resume to every one of these jobs in the hopes that someone will listen to my pitch for my NCAA 14 style Wishbone/Air Raid hybrid offense that relies on having basically every RB and WR be interchangeable and the best FBs in the country. If I coat it in stupid MBA speak, I may even get the ASU job I figure.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh whoops. I was wondering why there wasn't more talk about that

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gus Malzahn is currently in the UAB dining hall. Gus to Blazers CONFIRMED

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

New England Patriots: Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano is expected to become Matt Patricia’s replacement in New England.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

As if the Pats needed some way to make people hate them more.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Makes the Grinch thing slightly less depressing for Wazzu I guess.

Pats can rest easy knowing that no one in the NFL runs Iowa's offense anymore, at least until Jeff Fisher gets another job

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Hahhaha please happen. New England needs some Schiano men

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vyst posted:

Hahhaha please happen. New England needs some Schiano men

Hilarious Iowa game aside he's a pretty good DC and it's not like the assistants really matter that much with a Belichick team

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I keep checking this thread to see if Tim Beck has been fired or killed in a car accident yet but it never happens. :smith:

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I keep checking this thread to see if Tim Beck has been fired or killed in a car accident yet but it never happens. :smith:

I feel your pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ink is on Malzahn's $49m/7 contract; Auburn owes him 75% of what remains if they ever fire him, but the buyout on his end is essentially negligible.

• Locked thread