Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Its not going to be hard to cast Penn State as a villain guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So which team hires Jeff Brohm this offseason

Florida hopefully.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Komet posted:

By "schools", do you mean "school"? And by "school", do you mean Penn State?

Have you never heard of the University of Tennessee before? You are going to hear it in like 2 weeks days.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

I'd argue this about UCF and Nebraska except for Nebraska having :10bux: while a third of UCF's athletic budget comes from student fees

UCF is also huge with like 65,000 students.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

RC and Moon Pie posted:

LSU
Ed Orgeron (2016-) Will be fired eventually

Hey now, don't count out the possibility of his heart exploding after his 9th Red Bull of the day.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

General Dog posted:

Maybe one of the powers that be was looking for the source of an information leak so he did the thing where you give everybody you suspect contradictory information and see which version comes out. Tell booster A "keep this on the down low but we're looking at what it would take to get James Franklin", and tell another you're looking at Dan Mullen, and another you're looking at Mike Gundy, etc. Like in Game of Thrones.

edit: a "canary trap", that's what it's called

Daniek Stern did that to the owners in the NBA right before he retired. Sent a notice to each team with slightly different wording.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Bad for recruiting?

Also bad for recruiting, IMO: Bad coach Butch Jones. I do not want him coaching at UT this is my mild take

Is it really that bad for recruiting? Especially when a four star decommits right after the loss today.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

AsInHowe posted:

It's time for Interim Head Coach Brady Hoke.

Why didn't Brady Hoke work out? I mean I know he wasn't a good coach, but was it bad recruiting, bad playcalling, no defense, what?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mac fired yet?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Just pay the buyout, whatever Mac did is probably pretty dumb but it's not worth sending this message to the next coach you want to hire.

The rumor is that UF is negotiating a reduced buyout with his agent. If he doesn't take it, they will do the "for cause" firing and let it run through the courts for a few years.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/MikeABCColumbia/status/924307368191635457

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Adun posted:

Don’t hate the player hate the game.

I mean the whole ''making up death threats' thing seems flimsy as hell. Gonna be hilarious in 5 years when McElwain finally wins the lawsuit and UF is stuck paying his full buyout and the buyout of the next coach they fire

You don't know much about working at a school, do you?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Guys, this was all a plan by Stoops to get out of Oklahoma and come home to coach the Gators. It's a move out of an old Florida coach's playbook called The Urban.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

nachos posted:

Who is the interim? Is nuss gone??

It had loving better be Spurrier.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

EvilHawk posted:

So how does this work now? A lot of the names floated are currently in positions - would they move immediately or would it be Shannon(/Spurrier?) as interim HC until the end of the season? Similarly the coaches - Nussmeier needs to go too, but would we have someone else to step up the mean time?

A Shannon HC/DC and Spurrier OC/AHC until the end of the season would be p cool I guess.

The actual hire won't happen until the end of the regular season. Well, there may be an agreement and rumors, but no official announcement until then. Some coaches finish out the year with their current team, especially if they have a big bowl game. Some leave immediatley, especially if the program is going to promote the OC/DC.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

Hmm, yes, Bob Stoops, who retired to save his own life, yes, he's going to come coach Florida

Hmm, yes, Urban Meyer, who retired to save his own life, yes, he's going to come coach Ohio State

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

General Dog posted:

I'm not mad at Sumlin, I'm just disappointed.

Thats just mom for mad.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Laterite posted:

There is no way Mike Riley is coaching at Nebraska next year, right?

Right?

:smith:

Depends on if Florida lands Scott Frost. At least Nebraska's options are limited. Next year, either Riley of Scott Frost will be coaching Nebraska.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I meant more along the lines of keeping him a year to lower the buyout. Its a bad look if you can't land the top prospect coach who was the face of your school for a while. Better to just keep Riley and go after then top guy next year. It would be like if Tebow was the hot coaching name and he turned down Florida for another school.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MourningView posted:

This is dumb. He’s a bad coach and they have more than enough money to pay the buyout. Would you have wanted Florida to keep McElwain another year?

Nebraska isn't Florida, and Tim Tebow isn't the top coaching prospect.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

vikingstrike posted:

Jesus that’s pathetic.

Does Mac land somewhere next year?

Probably as an OC for a Saban acolyte.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Yep. People forget that “University President” as a title is mostly a figurehead and fundraising position. Given the fact that Tressel was a god among men in Youngstown even before he was hired as Ohio State coach, he was absolutely perfect. Enrollment is up big time, and he even convinced some big Ohio State fan to buy up several residential blocks full of vacant homes and move his manufacturing company there.

In a typical college town, the University President is probably the most important player in local politics.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

DJExile posted:

Also you're gonna be awfully hard pressed to get boosters to just pony up $8mil to make him go away. Even a goof like Haslam isn't just gonna throw that at the school without there being more of a plan in place.

Guarantee you some booster is going to send a death threat and try to make a scandal so he can get McElwain'd.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Sumlin hasn't flamed out like McElwain and Muschamp. He has had at least 8 wins every year, so I could see bim getting picked up my some middling P5.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

I'm starving for information SOMETHING HAPPEN

This reads like a Trump tweet.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

This has been right about things in the past, but grain of salt and all that:

quote:

AndrewSpivey
Recruiting Reporter
GC Staff VIP Member

I’ve received a lot of messages last night and today about things with Chip Kelly. Believe it or not the holidays sometimes give you more information as sources higher up talk and are with other higher up sources. Anyways here’s what I’ve got.

Everyone I speak with is sticking to their guns and saying that Chip Kelly is coming to Florida. Everyone says that unless Kelly is telling Florida a story than its the Gators for his choice.
I was told a piece of information that I haven’t heard before until last night but I was told that Florida never wanted to announce Kelly before Sunday. The reason behind this was to not distract people from the team.
I was also told that Florida is vetting people for Kelly’s staff still and that he wants to announce his staff fairly quickly after he’s announced as head coach.
Again unless Florida is getting played then the Gators are expecting Kelly to be the coach on Sunday or Monday.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I kind of want Florida to just say gently caress it and go get Leach. At least it would be entertaining to watch.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Florida is now a baseball school.

But for real, I had reservations about Muschamp the same way I did about Zook. At the time, and even now, Florida is not a good school to learn how to be a head coach. Spurrier and Meyer each had head coaching experience coming into the gig. Thats why I never liked the Zook hire and was hesitant about Muschamp. Mac at least had a couple good years at Colorado State, so I thought he was going to work out.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

If Tennessee hires Greg Schiano I will cease my Tennessee fandom immediately and jump to, uh, another orange team

Go Gata!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

an adult beverage posted:

Has there ever been a hire hated by the fanbase at the announcement? I don't ever recall backlash like this before. I wonder if it will be enough to rescind the offer. Vols fans online are talking about dropping all their gear in front of the ADs house.

Notre Dame and Ty Willingham, but that wasn't because of football reasons.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Couple things:

If Schiano signed the contract, would we still owe his buyout if there was one and if he signed the contract, doesn’t that mean he’s no longer employed by OSU? Does OSU take him back?

Usually large contracts like these things have an effective on date of like 48 hours so that this very thing doesn't happen.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Guys, we finally found the magical intersection of the Anti-OSU tard Brigade and The Enemies of Rutgers Athletics.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

For real though is Schiano a bad coach? I mean he is clearly a bad NFL HC, but we all know that is an entirely different skill set than college HC. He seems to be a good DC, and the fact that he made Rutgers above average seems to be a huge plus in his favor. I guess he doesn't have any other college HC experience to point to. I know its a huge thing to say "lets ignore the cover up of child rape" but I am genuinely curious why he would be a bad hire as a college coach.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Yeah but it’s about as lockdown as you get at a place like Iowa State.

Yeah, Iowa State knows eh is gone soon, they are just maximizing their payday for it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Yeah the only Frost isn't announced on Sunday is if chaos reigns and UCF ends up in the playoff.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Doesn't most of that go to Colorado State.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What the hell is the point of search firms? To find an unknown guy that the AD would not have thunk of otherwise? Cause SBNation does that for a lot less than a search firm would.

A search firm is a step between the AD and the coach. So if you try to hire someone like Schiano, you can save your job when that backfires.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I don't care who Tennessee hires, I just want a full blown campus wide riot to happen at some point. Also acceptable is the permanent shuttering of the football program because they can't get anyone to coach it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The weird thing about that poisoning thing is that if I read correctly, his 20 year sentence started in like 1998, so he only had a little more to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MourningView posted:

Two of theses are true

Yeah, I don't think he is actually autistic.

• Locked thread