Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Strong disagree on the hot seat ranking for Mike Riley, especially if UCF has a good year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Nebraska fans were also (justifiably) skeptical of Riley from the start and he immediately had a lovely season that was way below expectations. That fanbase is crazy even when the team is relatively good, so I don't think that's going to be a very long leash.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kayakyakr posted:

Kliff is absolutely on the hot seat. No one wants to fire the guy who turned a 3* QB into a top 10 pick, especially since we all know that if we do fire him, he'll wind up at some other Big XII school as an OC and will proceed to destroy us for years. But we can't stay bad.

Frankly, I think he's the best OC and QB coach in the country. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's a good HC. The defense being as bad as it is is simply inexcusable, especially after 4 years.

It's a pretty low bar: 6 wins and he coaches another year. Transfers and recruiting defections are not promising, though.

Tech's replacement hire is a total ??. Sonny Dykes is an obvious option, but retreads are a hard sell for a mid-level team like Tech, even if they have such strong ties back to the school. Neal Brown is another obvious option, seeing as he's the only good thing that came out of the Tuberville years. Willie Fritz is my darkhorse mid-major pick: Tulane's gonna be dangerous this year. Craig Bohl would probably be the knee-jerk, opposite style choice. And there'd be the comedy option of Ruffin McNeal, the guy we should have hired after the 2009 season. Art Briles will also have his supporters and all I can say about that is that I will completely disown my school if they hire loving Art Briles.

Would they go to a completely different style of offense? Dykes is probably the most likely guy but i think Brown is the best combination of coach and fit. Fritz isn't a pure triple option guy like some people think based on his time at GSU but he'd be a pretty radical departure. He also probably needs to actually win at Tulane first. I think he will eventually but he has that Chad Morris thing where people are trying to rush him to the next level before he really does anything significant where he's at

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 15, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I still don't get the Morris thing. He hasn't even won 6 games yet. June Jones did way better at SMU than he has so far, but everyone from the state of Texas talks about him like he's the next Bear Bryant.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 15, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

SMU was a dumpster fire when Morris got there. June Jones really struggled to recruit within DFW and around the state. I'd really look to see if the team finally does well this year before I'd call Morris a disappointment.

June Jones' eyes were not on Texas

It was way better than it was when Jones got there. If he did such a poo poo job why did he consistently produce better seasons than Morris has?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Tyson Summers is likely in trouble if Georgia Southern fails to show improvement. There were a lot of injuries last year, but the offense was totally not what Georgia Southern's fanbase wants to run. The co-offensive coordinators were replaced, so the season shall be interesting.

I am way more invested in this happening than I should be because I really want them to go back to being a dope option team, especially because there are so many fun option OCs for them to hire right now. Irvin Jasper has been at Navy forever and would be loving perfect for that job. Or if they want to go a little more outside the box I love the offense Bob DeBesse has run at New Mexico.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

They were good for a couple of those years, the other two they just outlasted the rest of the lovely Big 12 North.

Which you can tell by how they lost by a combined 106 points in the 04-05 championship games.

For real in two of those seasons the second place team in the North was loving Iowa State

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Bobo is a lot more likely to get a better HC job than he is to get fired at CSU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

an adult beverage posted:

the SEC way, Bobby Petrino style

holy poo poo, Houston Nutt's attorney ratted out Freeze? 1. How did they have that info? 2. Isn't that illegal, isn't that like textbook blackmail?

It's his university phone so he could have FOIA'd it and no

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Everyone not named Saban in the SEC is so dang dumb.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

I feel like it somehow ends up with Tuberville on the sidelines again, but I don't know anything.

Still a chance for him to get carried out in a pine box and prove all those haters wrong

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Webbeh posted:

Kiffin is going to try to get a job at every SEC school.

Given recent SEC hiring trends someone is probably going to bite eventually

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
lol at giving Kirk credit for grooming guys who worked for him during his awful 3 year stint at Maine and then got a head coaching job like 20 years later.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

Granted, the program was abysmal when he started- worse than it was when Chad Morris took over- but June Jones never went better than 8-5 in 7 seasons, and the majority of that was in C-USA. Yeah, Morris isn't a proven commodity, but anybody who is a proven commodity is locked up. It's not like we're going to go out and get Dan Mullen or Gary Patterson or something.

That's way better than any Morris season to date and there is a ton of overlap between that version of CUSA and the current AAC

There are plenty of coaches with better mid major resumes than Morris has so far assuming you're willing to look beyond TEXAS HIGH SCHOOL TIES

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 12, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's gotta be old now and he'd be ungodly awful at modern college Xs and Os but I assume he would be a big hit in living rooms. That dude says nothing but absolute nonsense but when he's done talking I definitely feel like I want to go tackle whatever he wants me to tackle

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I still kinda can't believe Nebraska hired Riley in the first place

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hed posted:

It's true. Missouri likes to tout that it is the sole FBS school in a state with no competition.

Do they? Because that's not true at all, even the way I think they mean in. There are three schools without any in state FBS competition in just the Big Ten West.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

Why would you pass up a national research university to go to the middle of nowhere? Are they just really into farming?

If you're just going for undergrad this doesn't really matter that much

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There a good mid major coaches with recruiting ties to that general geographic region they can get. Frank Wilson at UTSA, Neal Brown at Troy, Mike Norvell at a Memphis, Blake Anderson at Ark St., etc.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 19, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dango Bango posted:

Are you thinking hired as head coach or coordinator? Curious because couldn't it be argued his success is with Fuentes' players?

Why would he take a step down to coordinator?

A lot of the best players from the Fuente years graduated at the same time Fuente left, very few people expected them to continue to be as good as they have been. He was also a good assistant and coordinator before he got to Memphis; he should get a P5 head job really soon.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pakled posted:

After "not a head coach" there needs to be a box for "was he a Saban assistant?" with yes going to "Hire him immediately."

The chart is also inaccurate because SEC ADs loving love to hire former SEC head coaches, regardless of how badly they actually did at their former school. Really anyone with SEC EXPERIENCE jumps to the front of the line regardless of other qualifications.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

It occurred to me that if Malzahn was to be fired this year, Nick Saban would be the only coach in the conference to have won the conference in his career. Has this situation ever existed in one of the major conferences?

I'm guessing there were a couple years in the 70s right after Osborne took over at Nebraska where Switzer was the only guy in the Big 8 to win it but maybe not. Maybe Hayes or Schembechler at some point in the 70s too, but I think they technically tied a lot

There was no parity at all in 1970s college football

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 20, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

This is kinda before the idea of 'major conferences' but I checked the Big 8 on a hunch and OU won the conference every year from 1948 to 1959, so that's a strong possibility for only one coach having won the conference title.

I always forget that Wilkinson went like half a decade without losing a game

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Duckaerobics posted:

Lol if Malzahn gets fired how many head coaches will have a win over Saban at their current job, 2?

Saban wasn't at Alabama yet but Kirk Ferentz!

E: this cheat might literally only work for Ferentz since I'm not sure anyone aside from he and Snyder have been at their current jobs long enough to have played Saban at MSU or LSU. I guess Alvarez if you consider that he is still the actual head coach at Wisconsin

E2: Dang, I didn't realize Patterson had been at TCU since 2000, which was the year after Kirk started

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 21, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Nebraska should run it back and hire Bo

He's even more of a toxic rear end in a top hat now.

Feels like it's probably Scott Frost as long as UCF is at least a bowl team. I feel like if they could pull someone at Mullen's level they wouldn't have wound up with Poor Man's Kirk Ferentz last time, though I guess they were also hyper focused on finding a nice guy.

Grittybeard posted:

I mean, 2 nattys in the first 4 years on the job. That's starting off pretty well. His only actual down year was the last one.

I suppose you could argue he would have won 2 in his first three years at Ohio State if they weren't on probation, but that 2012 team beating 2012 Bama is a pretty massive 'if.'

That 2012 team got really lucky to go undefeated, there's no way. It's funny that they blew their chance by not self imposing the ban in the fickell year though

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 21, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

It's been years but I always wanted RichRod to go to Nebraska when he left WVU. The run first spread offense seemed like a natural evolution of what Nebraska football should be.

Unfortunately that Arizona stint...whew. So that's never going to happen.

His last Big Ten stint also, uh, wasn't great

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oh man please

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

And he is making $2.2m MORE than Mike Riley. Would Nebraska pony up for both a buyout and the $6m+ it would take to drag Dan out of Starkville? Doubt it.

I don't think he's the guy but it won't be because of money. Everyone in the Big Ten is making money faster than they can spend it and Nebraska isn't shy about spending. They've spent a shitload on basketball facilities recently and no one at the school gives a gently caress about basketball

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

Looks like it's time for Kirk Ferentz to sign another extension!

e - well nevermind

He's gonna ride out the current contract until they name his son as successor

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

North Korea's national colors are black and gold?

First half tonight aside Brian is a really good coach, I'm honestly fine with it. I don't know who else we'd get that's definitely a better fit for the program. The other options are probably either promoting Phil Parker or hiring like Bert or someone else with a connection to the program. Parker has been a good DC but I think Brian has a lot more upside as a head coach.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 24, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He hasn't done anything awful at Louisville that I can recall so why rock the boat and even bother with the buyout when he's been hugely successful for them?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Joey Freshwater posted:

I don't know why they'd fire him but I think the better point (because it's mine) is that he becomes cheaper to hire for another school (mine)

I mean sure but I can't remember a buyout scaring a school away from hiring someone they really wanted anyway

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Seaniqua posted:

Lack of experience as a head coach in division I. I'm not saying this is something that necessarily concerns me, but I wonder if the powers that be will have major reservations about it. If Nebraska is able to hire a coach with a proven track record, whoever that is, that just seems like a more likely hire to me.

That's just my gut reaction though, what do I know? Part of the reason it seems so unlikely is that it's the name one everyone's lips right now. It reminds me a lot of all the Jim Tressel chatter after Bo was fired.

Tressel was still under a showcause until like this year so I don't really see how that's comparable.

The Riley hire caught people off guard and made fans mad because he was old, had a solid like decade of being an 6 to 8 win coach at best, and was from the other side of the country with no connection to Nebraska. Frost is a young up and comer with a short but encouraging track record as a head coach, a great history as an assistant, and also happens to be a beloved former player. I don't think it'll cause anything close to the same sort of outrage the Riley search did it that's where things end up.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't really get the appeal of Harsin, I think Boise has kinda steadily fallen off under him. They're still pretty good but it's a definite step below where they were and he inherited about as good a mid major situation as you could ask for.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

at a certain point hot-poo poo mid major coaches are going to look at fallen powerhouses with their unrealistic expectations and say 'nope'

It's a giant raise and there aren't that many power five jobs. You also don't want to miss your window to make the jump. There are plenty of mid major coaches who were hot at one point, waited too long on taking a P5 opportunity, and then fell off and were never a candidate again (shouts to Mark Hudspeth)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This rumor makes sense and is a real thing that could happen though

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Coach O hire seemed dumb at the time and it's not looking much better

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Which SEC coach gets fired first

Butch, Bert, Sumlin, Odom, Gus, or Orgeron

Butch but it's not looking great for any of them

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I think I'd rather go for a mid major head coach, except actually a head coach who's shown something instead of Memphis's DC since he was a True Son and because of that somehow trustworthy.

Alternately that Colorado School of Mines guy who's at Montana or wherever now.

Stitt hasn't been very good at Montana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Vitalis Jackson posted:

Nebraska fans get angry whenever an "outsider" is hired, they think like rural people think. They will only be happy if Scott Frost or Turner Gill or Trev Albert or some other familiar face is hired. If Riley is fired after/during this season, though, NU will once again face another 3-4 years as it "rebuilds" and tries to use players recruited by a previous coach. It would be completely disastrous for the program, and completely in-line with what NU fans deserve.

So they should keep going 6-6 with Riley forever?

They made a bad hire. The answer to that is not "never make another hire ever again"

• Locked thread