Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

TheGreyGhost posted:

Oklahoma - Riley is in a position where he would need to really bungle this to get fired, but it's still wholly possible if they're 8 wins or less. 2/5

OU would have to go winless for Riley to get fired in year 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

an adult beverage posted:

the SEC way, Bobby Petrino style

holy poo poo, Houston Nutt's attorney ratted out Freeze? 1. How did they have that info? 2. Isn't that illegal, isn't that like textbook blackmail?

Nutt's biggest win at Ole Miss.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

General Dog posted:

Not sure how I'd feel about my own team taking a flyer on him, but I kind of think Rex Ryan might kill it as a college coach.

I think he'd be a better foot fit for UNC.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

MourningView posted:

If you’re gonna do this why not aim high and get Ken?

Kelly would make sense at UCLA but yeah I can’t see them outbidding Florida if Florida really wants him. It’d also probably be a good spot for Frost but can’t imagine them beating out Nebraska for him. That’s an interesting job, there aren’t really a ton of obvious west coast candidates that I can think of because most of the good coaches in the most obvious feeder conference (the MWC) are all pretty old

Theres uhhh Tedford

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Grittybeard posted:

How common is an in-conference move for a coach out of curiosity? I'm drawing a blank off the top of my head but I'm sure it has happened a ton.

Its fairly common in the SEC. It’s really incestuous there. Also they steal each other’s coaches.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I have it on good authority that Mike Stoops, the DC of the #2 team in the country, is available. Someone should definitely hire that guy.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

MourningView posted:

heh those morons at Iowa paying a coach 3 million a year to win 7 games

To be fair winning 7 games at ISU is basically winning 10 at florida when you adjust for it

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
with his new extension ISU is paying their football coach more than OU is which is probably a first

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Qwijib0 posted:

not "current Washington State" coach. Would people on the east coast not have heard of wazzu?

Scruggs is a sportscaster in DFW. His viewer base is going to be much more familiar with "former Tech coach" than "Washington State coach."

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
baker mayfield has more big 12 championships than any other current/former big 12 team. except for texas. he only has just as many big 12 championships as texas.

e: this was supposed to go to the GDT but the point still stands thank god we kept lincoln riley

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Sab0921 posted:

He got fired as OU's OC for being bad and was replaced by Lincoln Riley - that's all I got.

It wasn’t so much being bad as it was not being elite. We still scored a lot of points under Heupel.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Taggart to FSU is official.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

kayakyakr posted:

I updated the OP. There's only one job left open, Kent State's, from now until the Giants hire Brian Kelly.

18 positions came open this year, which is relatively quiet, but that seems to be because none of the usual mid-major positions came open. 13 P5 is a crazy number. 5 G5 is barely more than background noise.

Did SMU hire someone?

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Grittybeard posted:

School that moved up to FCS a few years ago and was considering hiring Art Briles a week ago, so this is a good hire.

It wasn't considering it so much as Red McCombs trying to force it on them, from my understanding.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

MourningView posted:

Next year will literally be his 20th at Iowa. The rumors of him leaving for the NFL are now almost old enough to drive a car. And yet somehow it still happens every season, even when we're terrible. The NFL is amazing.

It's funny that the same thing happened with Stoops. Every year people listed him as a candidate and to my knowledge he never interviewed for one (and also was on Spurrier's coaching staff at UF and knows exactly how that went for him).

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Arizona has one Pac-10 championship. They shared it.

Let's be realistic.

Baylor has a Big 12 championship. Wazzu has won the PAC10. Mizzou made 2 straight SEC championships.

There’s no reason Arizona can’t win the PAC12 with the right coach.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

I do not like this

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

KKKLIP ART posted:

This is actually a good hire, like was said on the previous page, UGA's special teams have been off the gat dang chain this last season

I’m pretty excited that it seems we’re actually trying to uh try on special teams for the first time in several years. I seriously never understood why Bob just totally gave up on special teams towards the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

KKKLIP ART posted:

A lot of it was limited space the NCAA gave for an on field coach for all positions and it was tough to have a guy who just does special team work. Most special teams even just practice by themselves so dedicating any real manpower at the college level is tough

I get all that, but for the last several years our punt return game was essentially having all the potential blockers just stand up straight and pray for a fair catch. Like they straight up did not try.

• Locked thread