Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Danny Hope had a fantastic mustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/CecilHurt/status/918554039243206656

Sexton isn't Franklin's agent but this is exactly what it is. It's agents stirring up bullshit, nothing more or less.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Komet posted:

To be fair to Pennsylvania: it's not Ohio.

OTOH you're out-scoring Ohio 1-0 in "state schools that both enabled and covered up decades of child rape" so....

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

what the gently caress is happening at Maryland :psyduck:

quote:

AD Kevin Anderson has been placed on administrative leave through August 2018, as first reported by Bobby Blanco of MASN. Maryland insists Anderson is still on staff as AD. Anderson has reportedly been on leave since Oct. 1 as Maryland president Wallace Loh is upset Anderson pursued the open AD job at Cal. Update: A Maryland spokesman told ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg that Anderson is not on leave and will not be fired although “there could be an update on the situation later this week.”

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Moos is a solid AD. That's a good hire for Nebraska

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Leach and Nebraska would be a hilariously bad fit

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

6 month sabbatical/leave is weird as hell. That must be tied into some form of buyout/severance.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So if you want Matt Campbell, you gonna owe Iowa State hella dollars

TL/DR: Matt's buyout after this year is $9,400,000.

That's not a typo.

E:

FBScoop posted:

In the closest recent example we could find, Colorado State tried to fence in Jim McElwain with a $7.5 million buyout. The Gators eventually smoked McElwain out of Fort Collins thanks in large part to a public campaign run by then-AD Jeremy Foley that made the idea of McElwain returning to Colorado State impossible for both sides, but Florida wasn’t stroking a $7.5 million check to get him. Instead, Florida paid $3 million, McElwain himself covered $2 million and Florida made up the difference by paying Colorado State $2 million for a game at The Swamp in 2018.

That was Florida, a blue blood of college football, and still $7.5 million was too much for them. And Campbell’s buyout in nearly $2 million higher than that. Now add in the $4 or $5 million salary Campbell would command, a similar number he would require to pay his staff, and you’re looking at a price tag approaching $20 million in the first year alone to extract Campbell from Ames.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 24, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mullen's got really little reason to leave Miss. State and Stricklin is probably happy to be done dealing with him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

His reason would be to go to a school where he can actually get enough talent to win something meaningful. And to not be stuck in Starkville.

He is paid $4.5 million to cruise through a division where nothing matters while Saban is at Bama. He's also a terrible interview. There's more than a few reasons he's been at Starkville for so long.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Your argument was “why would he leave Starkville” and the answer is “he would, and he’s tried in the past, he just hasn’t gotten an offer.”

Yeah i should have explained that better.

He's tried to leave before but I think at this point he's pretty comfortable where he's at. He's basically a god to Miss. State and he himself has hosed up previous attempts to leave anyway. I'd imagine he's pretty well planted at this point.

E: Moreover, I'd imagine Stricklin wants to hire someone himself at this point. I don't think Stricklin was the full time AD at Miss State yet when they hired Mullen.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 29, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yall realize you're taking scionix seriously, right

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Florida: Brett McMurphy reports that Jim McElwain may only get $4 million of his $12.9 million buyout because of the “way he disclosed death threats and (McElwain’s) agent’s ties to other candidates.” McMurphy expands, noting a source told him “Sexton won’t fight it because it’s not in his best long-term interest” noting that Jimmy also represents Dan Mullen and other clients.

lmao that is a loving amazing conflict of interest with Sexton. You can't fully represent McElwain becaue you want so badly to be the guy who lands the next deal. Agents are amazingly scummy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Yeah that seems like something that would really hurt his ability to get clients if true.

Word about the bad side of agents is getting out there more and more among coaches. Athletic Directors largely hate dealing with them because they're pains in the rear end. Coaches get more and more annoyed with them partly for poo poo like this, partly also because as soon as the coach has their job (whether or not the agent did much to help), they're still paying the agent large percentages of their pay every quarter because of the scummy agreements they originally sign with the agent (that the coaches themselves very rarely ever read through).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

someone dug into the buyout language of Willie Taggert and he's a lot more available than it seems

quote:

Florida — or anyone else — could pay $3 million up front and get it over with. Or it could prorate the entire buyout over the course of the contract. Three million dollars spread out over 48 months is $62,500 per month.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I really hope Neyland is empty for homecoming on Saturday. This admin is dumb as hell.

The frustration is understandable but where are they going to get the money? They need over $8mil to buy him out.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Tennessee athletics prints money. They can afford any buyout.

The only thing I can think of is that Currie is waiting to fire Butch and then introduce the new coach at the same time. That's the only way this makes sense.

You're immediately doubling that cost to bring a new guy in though. It's not as simple as "gently caress it, this guy's out" and a new coach magically appears.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Just curious do you really think it is smart money to bring back Jones to save on the buyout? He will end up with 5-6 wins in year 5, and if he comes back next year he will be top name of every hot list. Recruiting will take a beating.

Someone mentioned it earlier but I think his buyout drops a bit at the end of this season. Could be they're waiting for that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah if you are basically any coach in the top 50 you are going to be recognized everywhere and if you're at any of the big programs you are literally never left alone if you or your family is out in public.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Harbough is gonna go from wonderfully quirky to annoying real quick for Michigan fans if there isn't a conference title in the next couple of years.

OTOH, they will give a hell of a lot more leeway to a MICHIGAN MAN

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Hypothetical question to Iowa State fans. Let's say Campbell leaves. I'm less convinced than a lot of people that he will, because I know they're really supportive of athletics and will give him a good contract, and none of likely open jobs except maybe Nebraska seem like a slam dunk fit for him. But ISU is also a super hard place to sustain success, he's young and ambitious, and he very well may never be in this position again. If he leaves, do you just keep things rolling and promote Manning to HC? He seems like the obvious star of the staff and I'd think you'd want to keep some continuity with the best team you've had in over a decade, so to me that's the clear move (you could also just go after Candle, who's doing super well at Toledo and has already worked with a lot of staff, but I think you probably lose Manning to a better OC/OL job then). I'm interested in what ISU fans think though, and if they'd want to chase a bigger or more experienced name.

Jury's still out on Candle for now, he's still very much running on Campbell's recruits.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ehud posted:

also lol

god bless spurdog :patriot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

FBScoops posted:

Mack Brown is making a push to become the next Texas AD, according to Geoff Ketchum of Orangebloods. However, Ketchum reports that Longhorns stakeholders have reservations about Brown’s fitness for the position and that TCU’s Chris Del Conte — who worked with Tom Herman at Rice — is the name most commonly mentioned for the job. Former Longhorn football player Mike Perrin has served as UT’s long-term interim AD since 2015, and interviews are expected to begin in earnest early next year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I think he might be a good AD in the ambassador/glad-handing sense. Like what USC has with Lynn Swann. No idea if he knows how to run an athletic department but he wouldn't be the first.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

call me rovert cuz i got the scoops

FBScoops posted:

Arkansas: The UA Board reports, according to Tyler Thomason, that no action is being taken on head coach Bret Bielema or athletic director Jeff Long after their executive session held earlier today. Bielema’s situation is well documented; Long’s contract expires on June 30.

Les Miles: After a report inevitably bubbled up that Les Miles held interest in the Oregon State job, Dennis Dodd reports that Oregon State has not contacted Les.

TCU: When asked by ESPN if he ever envisions himself leaving TCU, Gary Patterson replied, “It would have to be something you just couldn’t say no to, but here’s the thing with me: I never say never, because I always get pissed off at those coaches when they say, ‘This is my last stop,’ or they sign a new contract and change jobs the next year. For me, it’s not only TCU, but Fort Worth is a special place."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah this is basically the "look we asked, don't get mad at us..." thing

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Also you're gonna be awfully hard pressed to get boosters to just pony up $8mil to make him go away. Even a goof like Haslam isn't just gonna throw that at the school without there being more of a plan in place.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Auburn AD Jay Jacobs is resigning this coming summer. Tommy Tuberville wants to take the position

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike_V posted:

If Mizzou waxes Tennessee tomorrow, does Butch get canned?

Barring a scandal or something, Butch is gonna be Tennessee's coach until at least the end of the season. He's owed over $8 mil in his buyout and that's not the kind of money even Tennessee just throws together, unless they stagger the buyout payments and even then it's still a ton to be on the hook for.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SPIN DAT CAROUSEL

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

well there goes any chance he had of having another big job again

Coaches have gotten big gigs after committing far worse offenses than that, let's be real

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Yeah usually the next salary will get subtracted from the buyout.

Butch should go to *looks at MAC standings* uhh, bowling green

no

pls no

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Stricklin seems pretty sharp as ADs go. I'd imagine he knows enough to make a solid hire instead of a flashy one.

Then again this has been a weird rear end few years in terms of hires around the country so who knows

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Norvell's buyout is just over $4m, not the highest by any means.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if Darren's right on at least that second front. ADs largely hate dealing with most traditional agents and I think you're going to see them start dying off more and more as coaches keep realizing just how expensive they are.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FBScoop has a neat breakdown on a bunch of candidates' buyout clauses

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

Anyone signing another person or entity hates dealing with agents because agents are educated and designed to prevent their client from getting hosed over which, make absolutely no mistake, every company or school will do to a perspective client or coach if given the opportunity.

Agents gently caress their own clients over plenty though. Jimmy Sexton literally couldn't represent his own client fully in McElwain because he wanted so badly to get the deal on the next guy going in to Florida, which is a massive conflict of interest. They also almost always tie their compensation into the coach's deal and instead of being compensated one time for the contract work (like most standard contract lawyers), they create their own contracts with the coaches that lock them into paying the agents massive percentages for perpetuity, even if they haven't done anything since the contract.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

e: I mean poo poo, Whitewater athletics are advertised on Fox Sports Wisconsin.

To be fair this isn't the most surprising thing now. A lot of local/regional networks are getting into covering DII and DIII schools since it's cheap and an easy way to fill some timeslots.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Stricklin responding to all this bullshit with "lol nope" is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Dan Wolken reports that Texas A&M is “expected to” gauge the interest of Jimbo Fisher “once its separation from current coach Kevin Sumlin is official at the end of the season.”

:munch:

• Locked thread