Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm gonna go a little outside the box and say Ole Miss lures Gundy away from his unhappy marriage with Boone Pickens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't want to admit that 8-4 isn't good enough because i feel like I'm living an 8-4 life. If I concede that Sumlin is a loser, I'm somehow conceding that I'm a loser.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He's not going to be fired mid season

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

General Dog posted:

He's not going to be fired mid season

Update- he's likely to be fired mid season (possibly as early as September 30 after the South Carolina game)

Chad Morris seems to be an overwhelming favorite for the job. He honestly seems to check all the boxes of what you'd look for: has some personality, spread guru, lots of Texas high school connections(he coached HS for 16 years). That profile is pretty similar to you-know-who up in Waco (except for the personality part).

Chip Kelly is a pipe dream. I'm willing to bet he never returns to college football, and if he does it's going to be to the Pac-12.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 12, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Neil Armbong posted:

What has Morris done at SMU that makes you think he'd be any better than Sumlin?

Nothing, I don't think he'll be much better than Sumlin on the balance, clearly something ails this program that goes beyond coaching. That said, Sumlin being gone is a fait accompli at this point, so I'm just looking at who the least disastrous options are going forward.

As far as his tenure at SMU, he's taken a program that was in pretty bad shape when he found it and shown linear improvement over three years. Yeah, a lot of his appeal stems from his time at Clemson and his high school career, but what he's done at SMU certainly hasn't taken any of the shine off of him as far as I'm concerned.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 12, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think we're to the point that Sumlin and A&M could each use a fresh start.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Neil Armbong posted:

June Jones did better than Morris has, so I'm not sold he's worth a flyer as a hc. Also, yeah, 9 - 10 wins is about what A&M should expect looking at historic performance.

Granted, the program was abysmal when he started- worse than it was when Chad Morris took over- but June Jones never went better than 8-5 in 7 seasons, and the majority of that was in C-USA. Yeah, Morris isn't a proven commodity, but anybody who is a proven commodity is locked up. It's not like we're going to go out and get Dan Mullen or Gary Patterson or something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

After looking at sports reference, this in a good season.

RC Slocum did go 12-1 one year though!

Jackie Sherrill though early RC (mid 80s to mid 90s) is definitely the apex of the program (post-integration).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Jeff Bhrom y'all

A&M fans have a massively inflated sense of where they want the program to be vs what they have actually won (not much)

I think something like Georgia under Mark Richt is a reasonable ceiling for A&M (9-10 wins more than half of the time with a high floor), and as someone who's been a Sumlin apologist for quite a while, I think I've finally seen enough to conclude that we're just not quite getting there with him. His run is very respectable within the context of the program's history, but for whatever reason, he reliably loses control of the team for multiple game stretches. It's a symptom that's getting worse every year, and it's not something that can be fixed with a good recruiting class, or a new coordinator, or a new conditioning coach. For everything that he brings to the table, it seems he's not a good leader, and there's no fix for that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't want him to be fired mid-season because it never accomplishes anything beyond the hastening the dismantling of your recruiting class and embarrassment for all involved parties. The program always says "now we can get a head start on the coaching search and be on the radar for all the top candidates," and then after all that they end up with Herm Edwards or something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a billboard near my old house that used to have Herm Edwards on it talking about the benefits of adoption or something. All I could ever think of was herm in front of fountain.gif.

That was Tony Dungy wasn't it? Either way- I get them confused, too.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Not sure how I'd feel about my own team taking a flyer on him, but I kind of think Rex Ryan might kill it as a college coach.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Alaois posted:

what's Reggie McNeal up to these days

He ran a 4.35 at the combine and then ascended into heaven.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think a lot of times the midseason firing is to ensure that the coach in question doesn't have the opportunity to rebound/pull off a signature win and make the decision more controversial. I think it was definitely the case with LSU and Miles last year. I also remember A&M canning Fran before the Texas game (which he won as a lame duck).

General Dog fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 13, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So which team hires Jeff Brohm this offseason

I don't think anybody is brazen enough to leave a P5 after just one year, even Purdue.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

pillsburysoldier posted:

That is quite the fall his career took

He'll go back to the Petersen-Harsin family like he always does and be fine. My sister was friends with his daughter in elementary school when he was at Baylor under Guy Morris; it's been kind of interesting following his career all this time.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

an adult beverage posted:

The football version of the Peter Principle. Its crazy how many poo poo tier coaches never get forced out of the sport.

It seems like the opposite of the Peter Principle also often applies- with guys like Pease, or more notably Lane Kiffin- where they eventually fall back to their level of competence.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Except I'm not sure Pease has ever been competent

Petersen seemed to like him since he kept moving up the ladder at Boise for six years (eventually to OC), and then brought him to Washington, but maybe the good will has run out.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Possibility Mullen jumps to Tennessee/A&M? I can't see any other huge jobs being open, maybe if he falls apart at the end of the year and his price comes down some UCLA would be in the mix.

As good as he is, I have a hard time seeing anyone else in the SEC shelling out the $7-8 million a year it would take to pry him away from Miss St.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Graphical guide for SEC coaching vacancies

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It occurred to me that if Malzahn was to be fired this year, Nick Saban would be the only coach in the conference to have won the conference in his career. Has this situation ever existed in one of the major conferences?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

The chart is also inaccurate because SEC ADs loving love to hire former SEC head coaches, regardless of how badly they actually did at their former school. Really anyone with SEC EXPERIENCE jumps to the front of the line regardless of other qualifications.

This one is from the fan perspective, though admittedly the fans also have a weakness for hot DC's with SEC experience.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Troy Queef posted:

what's HOUSTON DALE NUTT up to these days

Busy perusing everybody's phone records for familiar 1-900 numbers

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Duckaerobics posted:

Lol if Malzahn gets fired how many head coaches will have a win over Saban at their current job, 2?

Kevin Sumlin
Gus Malzahn
Dabo Swinney
Urban Meyer
Kyle Whittingham

General Dog fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 21, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

Nebraska seems like a tougher sale than MSU. The expectations are astronomical, the recruiting is as tough and location wise...:shrug:

It's a pretty soft division though; if you aren't a total fuckup it shouldn't be hard to get back to the 8-9 win level and stay there. That's not going to be enough for the fans indefinitely, but at least it's not like the SEC West where the talent margin between 9-3 and 5-7 is razor thin.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Willie Fritz or Troy Calhoun

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

And he is making $2.2m MORE than Mike Riley. Would Nebraska pony up for both a buyout and the $6m+ it would take to drag Dan out of Starkville? Doubt it.

Seems like it would take something like $8 million to get him away unless he's just dying to get out. He's making $4.8 million right now, and I'd think Mississippi State would be willing to dig in their pockets and match up until you start approaching Saban numbers, especially if they're a 10 win team this year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

Tom Jurich and Rick Pitino have been fired by Louisville. In addition:

https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/913037614575493120

Why would Louisville want to fire Petrino though? He's been a big success as far as I can tell.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He is also literally Bobby Petrino and if Louisville wants to clean house entirely, he's a good option to go

Then they can hire Jeff Brohm and not miss a beat

Sounds like throwing out the baby with the bathwater to me

Granted, it's a famously disloyal baby with a weakness for interns, but the sentiment still stands. Louisville isn't on a level where they can just guaranteed go to the coach store and pick up an elite coach.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 27, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

Nebraska has to have the highest degree of difficulty of any of the historical powerhouse programs.

Army

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Particularly in the SEC.

I'm not sure what Mac's buyout at UF is, but UF paid his 10m$ buyout from CSU so he isn't going anywhere despite the team eroding before our very eyes.

I don't know if eroding is the right word, they seem solid as a rock to me. Without especially paying attention, I know exactly what Florida is going to be every year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Which SEC coach gets fired first

Butch, Bert, Sumlin, Odom, Gus, or Orgeron

I'd eliminate Bert because of the absurd buyout, Gus because Auburn is probably going to win 9 games, and Orgeron because I think even LSU is going to be too proud to fire Orgeron mid-season in his first season.

If Sumlin can complete the sweep of Arkansas and South Carolina, and avoid humiliating blowouts against everyone other than Bama, I think he makes it to the end of the season and gets fired before the bowl.

I'd say Odom is most likely, but if he's still there after the last three games I don't know what's going to make them pull the trigger mid-season.

What's Butch's buyout again?

I'd say Butch, Odom, Sumlin, and Orgeron probably aren't on the sideline for their teams next year, but none of them are fired mid-season.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Butch's buyout is around 9 million.

Which would be more likely to get him fired immediately- losing to Bama by 50 or losing to Kentucky by 14?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

edit: wrong thread

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Gus should make it to the end of the season at least -- should be favored against everyone until Georgia and I don't even know if I'm scared of a stumble in any of those as bad as the SEC looks this year. Now is he actually safe winning nine but losing the exact three everyone cared about? That probably depends on the turmoil in the athletic department and the nature of the losses -- the Iron Bowl would have to be bad enough for a Sunday morning firing cause they couldn't let him coach probably a decent bowl with a shot at a tenth win if they really wanted him gone.

Even for Auburn it seems insane to fire Gus when everything is in place for him to win 9-10 games per year for the next 4 years or so with with basically everyone else in the conference except Georgia and Bama in flux.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So firing his OC bought him two weeks

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pelini said nothing wrong.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

buddhanc posted:

How the gently caress is butch Jones not fired yet? Buyout be damned, shouldn't schools understand now that the longer something like this festers, the worse off they'll be in every aspect of their program?

It actually doesn't accomplish anything, as either way the recruiting class will be a shambles until the new coach is in place, and the much-touted "head start" on the coaching carousel never, ever means anything. The mid-season firing is exclusively about throwing a bone to the fans, and honestly gently caress every fan of anything, they deserve nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

Mid-season termination helped UF get rid of Ron Zook before he had a strong finish to his season.

There's also that. But that's such a weird place to find yourself- "let's fire this guy before he tricks us into thinking he's not as bad as we think he is now"

• Locked thread