Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

Tressel was still under a showcause until like this year so I don't really see how that's comparable.

The Riley hire caught people off guard and made fans mad because he was old, had a solid like decade of being an 6 to 8 win coach at best, and was from the other side of the country with no connection to Nebraska. Frost is a young up and comer with a short but encouraging track record as a head coach, a great history as an assistant, and also happens to be a beloved former player. I don't think it'll cause anything close to the same sort of outrage the Riley search did it that's where things end up.

Nebraska fans get angry whenever an "outsider" is hired, they think like rural people think. They will only be happy if Scott Frost or Turner Gill or Trev Albert or some other familiar face is hired. If Riley is fired after/during this season, though, NU will once again face another 3-4 years as it "rebuilds" and tries to use players recruited by a previous coach. It would be completely disastrous for the program, and completely in-line with what NU fans deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

Real Name Grover posted:

Jesus christ, CB.

Uh, anyway, RE: Mike Riley, if the coffin wasn't already nailed shut, it's been welded shut after that loss. I don't remember the last game played in which we weren't straight-up outcoached (save for Illinois, but c'mon). Watching Iowa destroy Ohio State, who beat us as comprehensively as I've seen a team beat us in memory, didn't help matters much.

I just hope Bill Moos has a plan in case the draw of raising his kid near his grandparents isn't enough to bring Frost back home, or whatever the argument is.

At this point, the majority of the fanbase and boosters would take just about anyone over Riley. Recruiting is already starting to suffer and next year's schedule is how-the-hell-did-the-B1G-clear-this hard. A new coach will get some leeway with it.

It's very unwise (in Nebraska's case, anyway) to allow the fan base and boosters to make hiring and firing decisions, though. They are basically too emotionally invested in the Cornhuskers to be able to separate their self identity from the results of football games, and they are a big part of why NU has become such a shipwreck since Osborne's last year of coaching. Personally, I hope that the NU administration is intelligent and professional enough to look long-term and not at the rest of the season. Riley has installed a recruiting system that had been largely ignored for years; there is a reason why so many freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and sophomores have replaced juniors and seniors this year. I didn't know Riley when he was hired, but I support him now. I think he needs two more years to turn things around on this team. It was a disaster after Pelini was fired and that disgruntled coach actively campaigned against NU when he left. It was a carnage.

Riley's biggest mistake, IMHO, is that he tried to "make nice" with Pelini's remaining recruits when he took over. He should have just ripped off the Band-Aid in his first year. Instead, he waited until he had a couple of season's recruits and then tried to install a completely new offense and defense with players that had no exposure.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

Riley was an obviously awful hire from the start. He hadn’t been good at Oregon State in several years and was clearly trending down. He only got the job because they were embarrassed by Pelini and wanted someone who was nice and polite with the media.

Anyway, I agree, Nebraska should definitely keep him, because recruiting. They should have kept Callahan too.

I definitely agree with the Callahan comment. NU has entered into an era that has head coaches having to use players recruited by the previous coach, and it's happening now with regularity. It really has to end.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

Real Name Grover posted:

All of that would be fine, but I don't think he, Diaco, Langsdorf and several other position heads have proven they can coach worth a drat. I seriously struggle to think of the last game in which they outcoached anyone not named Lovie Smith.

Don't forget, though, that the immortal Tom Osborne was regularly "outcoached" by Barry Switzer until he got better players.

• Locked thread