Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Why not, I'll do the American...which gets two ratings because of its position in the carousel -

West -

Navy - Could be the next Navy coach to go to Georgia Tech if something happens to Paul Johnson, but being fired oh hell no.
Fired 1/5
Poached 2/5

Tulsa - Might be stuck at Tulsa for a while with the stench of Baylor on him.
Fired 1/5
Poached 1/5

Memphis - Mike Norvell's kept some of the Fuente momentum going which is about all he was asked to do in 16. If he keeps it going in 17 some P5 will go to the coaching mine -
Fired 1/5
Poached 4/5

Houston - New coach, but with the UH president publicly saying 8-5 isn't good enough it's not impossible if Houston has a down year.
Fired 2/5
Poached 2/5

SMU - Everyone's just kind of waiting for Chad Morris to take off but it hasn't happened yet. Still more likely a poach than a fire for now.
Fired 2/5
Poached 3/5

Tulane - Fritz will get at least two more years given they're so bad.
Fired 1/5
Poached 1/5

East -

Temple - New coach, but with tons of SEC experience.
Fired 1/5
Poached 3/5

South Florida - Charlie Strong was the steal of 2017, but was so bad in Texas it might be a while before he gets back into the Power 5...unless he takes USF to New Year's -
Fired 1/5
Poached 2/5

UCF - Scott Frost is gone as soon as UCF gets a good year which is more likely to be 18 than 17 -
Fired 1/5
Poached 3/5

Cincinnati - New coach
Fired 1/5
Poached 2/5

East Carolina - Scottie Montgomery was a complete dud in 17 and ECU is looking at another year as a doormat. Maybe now they regret kicking what eventually ended up being Oklahoma's coaching staff?
Fired 1/5
Poached 1/5

UConn - Welcome to the Bill Snyder plan Randy Edsall -
Fired 1/5
Poached 1/5

Wichita State - lol basketball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

oops, posted in wrong thread, have a pic of bert bielema's career instead

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 10, 2017

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Moving to Ole Miss without coaching a down at FAU would be a very Kiffin thing.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I give Norvell maybe one more year for lack of resume-padding NY6 bowl win, but if Arizona State wants him back at all they're going to have to do it this year.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Was looking into Houston's fired coaches and found this bit about Kim Helton -

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/houston-fires-football-coach/

quote:

After reverting to a pair of 3-8 seasons, Houston again went 7-4 this year and finished with consecutive victories over Tulane, Louisiana State and Army. The Cougars finished sixth in Conference USA with a 3-3 record.

"Beating LSU used to be pretty good, but they just happened to be down this year," Helton said. "I'm very proud of this football team."

Fortunately, his son Clay is way better.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

pillsburysoldier posted:

Frost actually like UCF, and, per rumor, wants to turn it into "the oregon of the east", but he's gonna get can't-say-no offers soon

That rumor is a load of crap, the only way he's even around in December is if UCF is in the Peach Bowl.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Thermos H Christ posted:

And for reasons that are not clear to me, he's been pursuing pocket passers lately (Kyle Allen at Houston and our 2017 QB commit). I don't know if he thinks he'll just turn them into dual threat guys, or if that's not really what he wants to do in the long run, or if he's just going for QBs with a lot of upside and figuring he'll be able to play to their strengths, or what.

Kyle Allen is so useless to a run-pass option offense that I think Herman used him for publicity. Allen will grad transfer out next year and I hope he finds a good program for a pocket guy to start at.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Now that running games are getting new prominence Nebraska really ought to try a run-pass option guy or maybe even David Shaw's OC at Stanford. A run-first offense plays to Nebraska's strength in never lacking for big farm boys, many that even would be willing to play the greyshirt game just to play there, so they could invest a ton in strength and conditioning to turn out a bunch of run blockers and run the dang ball.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

an adult beverage posted:

Looking back at his record, I'm surprised Tennessee hired him, what was the deal with that year's carousel?

There was a shallow talent pool due to realignment and Butch was the big name after winning back-to-back titles in a BCS conference.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Crotch Bat posted:

Isn't the kicker about Patterson that he was so spurned when he was trying to get a job before TCU that now he basically refuses to even listen to other schools as a "gently caress you" to them?

He got low-balled by Tennessee and Nebraska back when he was a Mountain West coach, but it's much more to do with being second to God at the Saudi Arabia of college football. TCU can cheerfully match any school's offer and that's before any of the poorly kept secret oil and gas royalties given by boosters. Obviously that will never be publicly disclosed but if he has more than a couple of acres his real take-home could look more like a corporate CEO's.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

nate fisher posted:

(I can't imagine any coach interviewing before season ends)

I'm going to save everyone a lot of salt by saying yes it does happen, and in the group of 5 it's standard practice.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

He had a pretty good run at Houston?

Everyone seems to have a pretty good run at Houston.

Along those lines, Arkansas is kicking the tires on Major Applewhite.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

At least with that $20 million Schiano can enjoy a nice retirement.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

never mind this threads movin too fast pawl

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

angryrobots posted:

Whether he's right remains to be seen, but this guy is the sports director at a Houston NBC affiliate.

https://twitter.com/RandyMcIlvoy/status/934891984862547968?s=17

That's a legit account alright but when it comes to Houston TV guys the only one with credibility is Mark Berman at KRIV, the Fox affiliate.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

an adult beverage posted:

Where does Jim McElwain go?

Conference USA

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Mega64 posted:

SeaWorld

UTSA is likely to need a coach here in the next few weeks, sounds like a match

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Lower down on the ladder, Louisiana-Lafayette fired Mark Hudspeth.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/ul/2017/12/03/mark-hudspeth-ul-lafayette-football-coach-fired/914953001/

He won four straight New Orleans Bowls but he had a bad 2017 - the Cajuns went 5-7, one of his assistants was busted submitting fake ACT scores to the NCAA Clearinghouse which resulted in a probation, and then a video of players singing gently caress Donald Trump really got him put on the hot seat -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9TszoPoQTw

Expect ULL to go after coordinators at regional P5 or AAC teams. As for Hudspeth, he still got work done in the Sun Belt so he might make someone a good offensive coordinator.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Not impossible. Arkansas asked around about him last week.

Chris Pezman at Cal will be the likely replacement AD at Houston.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

GobiasIndustries posted:

"Hey I have a question about your program"
"Sure, 5-star recruit, what can we tell you about? How you'll thrive in the new defensive scheme, how we plan to get you drafted?"
"....nah I wanna see Jimbo pet the dogge"

*Jimbo pets the doge*

*Multi million dollar donation*

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Rice made an amazing hire, but I don't think he's going to stay there long.

https://twitter.com/ThresherSports/status/938074503862734850

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 5, 2017

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

DJExile posted:

Arizona State: The entire offensive talent pool has been re-synergized into a forward-thinking consultancy known as the Department of Offensive Strategic Resources, with competitive merit-based compensation to be reviewed after a two year time period. Director of Offensive Strategic Resources Bill Napier has earned a promotion to Senior Director of Offensive Strategic Resources Project Management. DOSR Project Managers being retained include Napier, Senior Manager of Offensive Line Resources Rob Sale, Senior Manager of Reception Rob Likens, and Senior Manager of Rushing Capability John Simon.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

And hoo boy are Arkansas fans hot. Good goin Hunter, first day on the job and you stepped in it.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 6, 2017

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

I heard it's actually Tunica that had Norvell's money though

FedEx has plenty more to give though

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

At least they got a guy who knows something about winless seasons

(gently caress Dana Dimel)

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 7, 2017

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubw5N8iVDHI

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

I'm not sure what to expect out of Louisiana Lafayette. Probably a P5 coordinator, but their reported pool of candidates range from the Penn State DC to Doug Nussmeier.

Derek Dooley's name appeared there too last week.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

I didn't hear much about Houston this year--what did the offense look like? How'd he do with whatever TAMU transfer he got?

Wasn't much to hear about this year other than Ed Oliver. Houston was thoroughly meh. I wasn't impressed with Johnson's offense and he called way too many flats and screens. The offense sputtered along until Deriq King was promoted from the wide receiver corps and the Herman-era power spread came back. Losing Johnson to Florida seems like a win-win for everyone. Major Applewhite is calling plays for the Hawaii Bowl.

Kyle Allen (the TAMU transfer) was benched three games in and never should have come to UH. He wasn't a fit for either the power spread or whatever it was Johnson was trying to do, and if anything he was used by Tom Herman for publicity. He's at least graduating this month and he'll get to grad transfer to show the NFL what he can do.

Next year should be a lot more exciting with Ed Oliver's last year in college, a decent QB, and a friendlier schedule. We're expecting to lose Major next season.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

DJExile posted:

This is purely speculation on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me if Kent wanted to drop football entirely, and may have even looked at it, but I'm guessing the MAC won't let them stay as a basketball-only member of the conference.

If the MAC wouldn't let UMass park its football program there I can't imagine they'd let Kent State park its everything else. And if that's the case, maybe they're not long for FBS?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Shame Houston probably can't afford him

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The main name now appearing as Houston's next OC is noted enemy of Rutgers athletics Drew Mehringer. :barf:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

KKKLIP ART posted:

This late in the game and at the first of the year? I'd be surprised if the waiting to fire him until now wasn't due to a cheaper buyout.

Wouldn't sexual harassment be considered "with cause"?

page 182 snypa

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

That's going to be every program in Texas if oil hits $80 again and shale gets back to going 90 to nothing.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Houston just hired Kendal Briles as its new OC. Hoo boy.

e: and former Baylor OL coach Randy Clements. Might as well bring Art back in the fold at this point.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 6, 2018

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

DC Murderverse posted:

except no one with any sense is gonna want the Baylor job

Of course someone will, Baylor has papered over the entire place.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/951888423920553989

So much for that

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

And that hiring a triple option coach from the AAC is "beneath" Arizona because they're fair-weather fans.

I remember their last run in with an AAC squad didn't go so well

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I guess the search firm has to be diplomatic about it but that absolutely confirms Khalil Tate torpedoed the deal with that tweet

Also, Kevin Sumlin gets to return to Houston in Week 2. That game just became a big-time grudge match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76p_ncbffCE

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/954364559598542849

Good guy, just was a bad head coach.

• Locked thread