Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tyson Summers is likely in trouble if Georgia Southern fails to show improvement. There were a lot of injuries last year, but the offense was totally not what Georgia Southern's fanbase wants to run. The co-offensive coordinators were replaced, so the season shall be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

On a similar note, David Dean and Rance Gillespie (former co-offensive coordinators at Georgia Southern) have sued Georgia Southern for breach of contract.

quote:

After being offered the job by [head coach Tyson] Summers and receiving formal offer sheets, both David Dean and Rance Gillespie signed 18-month contracts on Jan. 27, 2016, that established June 30, 2017, as the end of their term.

Both coaches claim that more than nine months later, they learned the school’s Board of Regents and the Georgia Southern University Athletic Foundation never signed the contracts. According to the lawsuits, Summers notified the coaching staff on Nov. 3, 2016, that new contracts were being prepared.

The second contract, which was given to the coaches following the 10th game of the season on Nov. 16, had changed the end of the agreement to Feb. 28, 2017.

The two were fired immediately after last year's tortured season.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

Kliff is more of a Mike Leach, Dana Holgerson, or Bill Belichick disciple than Kevin Sumlin. I mean, I guess he followed Sumlin from UH to A&M, but that's giving Sumlin a bit much credit.

Actually, looking through a bunch of those, it's giving a lot more credit to a lot of people than they deserve. Dana in Gundy's tree? Nah. He installed the O at OSU, but that's about it. And why is Neal Brown joined under Mike Gundy?

If they had done it that way, Leach and Holgerson would be on the Hal Mumme coaching tree (and if Dykes was still at Cal, so would he). Though their styles are far from it, Kirby Smart and Will Muschamp would be grandchildren of that tree as they were on a single staff under Chris Hatcher.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Wrong thread.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 2, 2017

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It's mining baby! It's mining!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

At Georgia Southern, the jobs of head coach Tyson Summers and AD Tom Kleinlein are really heating up.

The team is horrible at 0-4 and is getting shithoused regularly. Going into last night's game, their offense was 128th out of 130 teams in offensive yards.

Add in that the program has a lawsuit hanging over its head from last year's offensive co-coordinators and I'm betting that both are gone at the end of the season, barring a miracle.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

LSU

Charles McLendon (1962-79) - retired
Bo Rein (December 1979-January 1980) - died in plane crash
Jerry Stovall (1980-83) - fired
Bill Arnsparger (1984-86) - resigned to become Florida AD; 26-8-2 record
Mike Archer (1987-90) - forced to resign
Curley Hallman (1991-94) - fired
Gerry DiNardo (1995-99) - fired
Hal Hunter (1999) - interim; coached bowl game
Nick Saban (2000-04) - Fled for NFL
Les Miles (2005-16) - Fired
Ed Orgeron (2016-) Will be fired eventually

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Duckaerobics posted:

Georgia Southern has fired their coach after an 0-6 start.

Tyson Summers was a really bad fit for Georgia Southern. Before he'd been in Statesboro a year, he'd already burned through co-offensive coordinators, who now have pending litigation against the university for breach of contract.

Expect AD Tom Kleinlein to get the ax soon as well.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

vikingstrike posted:

It surprises me how many UGA (and SEC, in general) fans I see out in Colorado. I was at the freaking pumpkin patch with my kind in a Georgia t shirt one Saturday and got a go dawgs

The south is insane about football.

When Georgia is playing well, "How 'bout them Dawgs" is an acceptable conversation starter. With anybody. With little old ladies. Especially with little old ladies.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

D.N. Nation posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Tennessee_Volunteers_football_team

Up and down, mediocre season, but they had a respectable loss to #1 Florida, another respectable loss to #1 Alabama (you can't just say that "if it weren't for Terrence Cody," because Bama kinda let the Vols back in the game themselves), and blasted da fuk out of Georgia and South Carolina in Knoxville. Recruiting was good. I remember thinking that Kiffin was going to be a pain to deal with for the foreseeable future and then d'oh

I had season tickets to Georgia basketball that year. Kiffin departed the week Georgia hosted Tennessee.

It was so much fun to just chant Kiffin's name at them. It didn't matter that this had nothing to do with the game being played, Kiffin screwing them over was just that hilarious.

Then we got to chant "we're up 20" at various points because Tennessee stunk it up that night. And later the guy covered in peanut butter ran out on the court after the game.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

DJExile posted:

Little of column A, lot of column B.

Jim Mora Jr. once got fined by the NFL because he made a phone call in the middle of a Falcons game because he did not know the playoff ramifications if the game was tied after overtime. Now ties are certainly rare in NFL outcomes but the head coach of an NFL football team hadn't even entertained that possibility.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Well, the Cheetah is perhaps only the second best known Atlanta club these days - behind the now departed Gold Club - but it's certainly a well-established place of business.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Seven years ago, I was with a crowd of students at a basketball game chanting Lane Kiffin's name.

That was a Georgia-Tennessee game and we were doing it to mock the Vols.

We also chanted "We're up 20," because, hey, we were up 20.

The world is weird sometimes.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

This has been the most magical month of college football ever and it's only December 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

an adult beverage posted:

Is the 2017 carousel about wrapped up, who's left on the board?

I was going to say Georgia Southern, but they apparently made interim head coach Chad Lunsford permanent.

• Locked thread