Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

MourningView posted:

Strong disagree on the hot seat ranking for Mike Riley, especially if UCF has a good year

I remember Steven Godfrey saying on PAPN that there were some boosters pushing hard to get Scott Frost there when he was still at Oregon. If he's able to put together a really good year, then yeah, Mike Riley's seat will be on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

kayakyakr posted:

Kliff is absolutely on the hot seat. No one wants to fire the guy who turned a 3* QB into a top 10 pick, especially since we all know that if we do fire him, he'll wind up at some other Big XII school as an OC and will proceed to destroy us for years. But we can't stay bad.

Frankly, I think he's the best OC and QB coach in the country. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's a good HC. The defense being as bad as it is is simply inexcusable, especially after 4 years.

It's a pretty low bar: 6 wins and he coaches another year. Transfers and recruiting defections are not promising, though.

Tech's replacement hire is a total ??. Sonny Dykes is an obvious option, but retreads are a hard sell for a mid-level team like Tech, even if they have such strong ties back to the school. Neal Brown is another obvious option, seeing as he's the only good thing that came out of the Tuberville years. Willie Fritz is my darkhorse mid-major pick: Tulane's gonna be dangerous this year. Craig Bohl would probably be the knee-jerk, opposite style choice. And there'd be the comedy option of Ruffin McNeal, the guy we should have hired after the 2009 season. Art Briles will also have his supporters and all I can say about that is that I will completely disown my school if they hire loving Art Briles.

I'd throw Chad Morris's name in the hat as well. I know there's a fear that he will leave for A&M as soon as that job comes open but Tech really needs to move on from the Mike Leach coaching tree.

Also, speaking of Ruffin McNeil...

Lincoln Riley taps former ECU coach Ruffin McNeill to join Oklahoma staff

Wiccan Wasteland fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 15, 2017

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
SMU was a dumpster fire when Morris got there. June Jones really struggled to recruit within DFW and around the state. I'd really look to see if the team finally does well this year before I'd call Morris a disappointment.

June Jones' eyes were not on Texas

• Locked thread