Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
RE: Nebraska

The schedule this year and next — the latter is especially brutal — aren't going to do us any favors, so some marked improvement is definitely necessary. We can lose to OSU, just not by, you know, 59 (though that game last year was just a lovely situation all around).

But barring an epic early season collapse, I think Riley will survive this season regardless because I doubt Shawn Eichorst would fire him — he'll have probably been shown the door, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Already columns out about the mess Nebraska AD Shawn Eichorst has created, which is unsurprising. (E: the columns, but come to think of it ... gently caress)

I don't know what the gently caress anymore. I didn't expect greatness but I also didn't expect us to get manhandled by NIU or barely eek one out against Arkansas State, either. I wanted Riley to succeed, of course, but this season could enter snuff film territory with back-to-back home dates against Wisconsin and OSU.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
The Shutdown Fullcast guys posited that Jeff Fisher will be Odom's successor

:)

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Mullen was at the top of my list in 2014.

... Hire me, Chancellor Green

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
My guess as of Sept. 21, 2017 AD is that Riley keeps the job with six regular season wins.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

MourningView posted:

He's even more of a toxic rear end in a top hat now.

Yes. (Y'all, google his name to see what's going on at YSU right now)

quote:

Feels like it's probably Scott Frost as long as UCF is at least a bowl team. I feel like if they could pull someone at Mullen's level they wouldn't have wound up with Poor Man's Kirk Ferentz last time, though I guess they were also hyper focused on finding a nice guy.

I think he was dialed in on Riley from the start. I've read twice in the past week that Eichorst also pursued Kyle Whittingham, but he would've been "too expensive" — and that's what makes me skeptical about the rumor. Nevermind that weird poo poo with Bielema that lasted a few hours; I still think that was bogus, given who we ended up with.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah, money's not really an issue 'round here.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

My father in law would have a heart attack at more than once a decade Nebraska trick play

From 1998 to 2003, we called this a "pass"

Konstantin posted:

His son plays for the team

Athletic Director Rick Spielman
Head Coach Les Miles
OC Kurt Warner
Recruiting Coordinator Keyshawn Johnson

poo poo, we're on to something here

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 22, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Callahan ran some fuckin' batshit fake plays, man

Check this poo poo out (the guy who catches it was a defensive end)

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Feldman posted this last night

quote:

Early speculation has Nebraska wanting to return to its roots by hiring Trev Alberts, now the AD at Nebraska-Omaha, to become the new athletic director, then luring former Huskers quarterback and current UCF head coach Scott Frost (who was Oregon’s offensive coordinator when Nebraska’s coaching job was last open in 2015 yet never got a sniff from Eichorst). A source plugged in at Nebraska told me there’s truth to that speculation. First things first, though, the university needs to move on hiring its new AD. The school announced Tuesday that another Huskers legend, Dave Rimington, will serve as the interim.

Sure, fine, I guess

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
If — and it's certainly possible — Wisconsin and OSU blow us out (emphasis) at home, I think he's probably done.

Seaniqua posted:

I'll still be very, very surprised if they hire Frost, but okay.

Why?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Seaniqua posted:

It reminds me a lot of all the Jim Tressel chatter after Bo was fired.

The difference being that was always nonsense, whereas Frost seems at least semi-logical.

That said, I'm all for a Mullen or Harsin-type hire *COUGH* should one need to be made

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 27, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I also just learned he's a Boise native and alum, so yeah, fine shelving him

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I see you, Pete Lembo

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Thermos H Christ posted:

Pitt fans, if you're out there, I'm sorry that your OC sucks.

Huh, so that's where he is now.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Because the now-former AD wanted someone he'd never have to worry would be recorded saying "Our crowd. What a bunch of loving fair-weather loving—they can all kiss my rear end out the loving door. 'Cause the day is loving coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm loving gone. I'm so loving pissed off."

Vitalis Jackson posted:

they think like rural people think.

OK, sure.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Komet posted:

Did Pelini say this? If so, he was right, wasn't he?

1. Yes he did

2. That's not really the point, Komet

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Trev Alberts took himself out of consideration for the Nebraska AD gig, which is fine.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I'd live in Oxford on an AD's salary

(This is the first time I've even heard him mentioned in any of this, so, uh, OK)

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2017/10/canzano_gary_andersen_vowed_he.html

quote:

Andersen also reiterated that if he didn't believe he could win at Oregon State he would pull the unprecedented move of tearing up his contract and letting the Beavers go free. And that appears to be what happened today in Corvallis in an announcement that shocked the campus.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
So here's a thing from the Omaha World Herald. Obviously Riley's fate depends on this hire, unless the university president wants to fire him now and let Bob Diaco take over going into a bye week, gently caress if I know anymore.

quote:

LINCOLN — Look for Nebraska to introduce a new athletic director this week.

It’s not official, but three sources with ties to NU’s administration Saturday indicated interviews took place late last week and that a decision is either imminent or already made. Other sources told The World-Herald that Interim A.D. Dave Rimington mentioned to friends his time in North Stadium is down to a few days.

As for who succeeds Shawn Eichorst, fired Sept. 21, the guessing game continues. Nebraska President Hank Bounds and Turnkey Search have kept the legitimate information flow to a trickle, at best.

Multiple calls to current and retired athletic directors and to revenue-sport head coaches active in the college grapevine revealed two general themes about the search:

» Nebraska wants a sitting Power Five A.D.

» The Huskers are willing to pay handsomely to hire one.

The salary isn’t a surprise considering Eichorst, who came to Lincoln from Miami five years ago with only 1½ years of experience running a program, stunningly was hired at $973,000 — and was scheduled in 2017-18 to rake in $1.1 million. Those figures were both top-five national salaries.

Any list of possible candidates is largely semi-educated speculation.

So I posed the following question to the A.D.s and coaches contacted: “If you were Nebraska — with its tradition, resources and need to reboot football — who best fits the job?’’

Four names came up regularly:

» Jeff Long, Arkansas: Long has football chops and Big Ten ties. The 57-year-old is an Ohio native, played quarterback in college at Ohio Wesleyan and coached at Miami of Ohio, Duke and Michigan before entering athletics administration.

Michigan legend Bo Schembechler hired Long, who spent 10 years with the Wolverines as an assistant/associate A.D. He eventually had stops at Virginia Tech, Eastern Kentucky and Oklahoma before replacing Steve Pederson at Pittsburgh in 2003. Long then replaced Frank Broyles at Arkansas in 2008.

Why would Long fit? He knows the Big Ten, he’s a football guy — he was the first chairman of the College Football Playoff committee — and after nine years at Arkansas, he might be ready for one more move.

» Rob Mullens, Oregon: The 47-year-old West Virginia native and two-time graduate of WVU has an academic background in accounting and auditing. But he rose quickly in athletic administration with stops at Miami (Florida), Maryland and Kentucky before getting hired at Oregon in 2010.

Mullens’ tenure has been labeled “Decade of the Duck’’ for the widespread success of Oregon athletic teams, capped by finishing a school-best No. 9 nationally in the Director’s Cup all-sports standings. OU has appeared in the College Football Playoff, the men’s basketball Final Four, the volleyball national title match and the Women’s College World Series. He is on the CFP committee.

Why would Mullens fit? The overall success of the Ducks would be attractive to Nebraska administrators, who say they want to win championships across the board. Mullens also is well acquainted with Scott Frost, current Central Florida head coach and former Oregon offensive coordinator. That should please the group that wants Frost to return to NU.

» Jamie Pollard, Iowa State: Here is another guy who knows the Big Ten, despite spending the past 13 years in the Big 12. Pollard, 52, grew up in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and was a champion distance runner at UW-Oshkosh. He worked in athletic administration at Saint Louis, Maryland and Wisconsin before signing on at ISU.

Pollard has national respect among his peers as someone who does a lot with fewer resources than many have. He has tripled athletic department revenues during his term, expanded the football stadium, got fans to fill the seats and has made some splash coaching hires, such as Fred Hoiberg in men’s basketball.

Why would Pollard fit? He has strong familiarity with Nebraska and the Big Ten. Also, at his age and number of years at Iowa State, this might be prime time to take another position.

» Kirby Hocutt, Texas Tech: The Texas native and former All-Big Eight linebacker at Kansas State in the mid-1990s got into athletic administration right out of college. He had stops at Kansas State, the NCAA and Oklahoma before becoming the A.D. at Ohio University at age 33.

Hocutt soon left for Miami (Florida). He was replaced by Eichorst when Hocutt headed for Texas Tech in 2011. Hocutt is the Big 12 representative on the CFP committee.

Why would Hocutt fit? He’s a football guy and has great awareness of what Nebraska’s program means.

During interviews, three other names were regularly mentioned, though with qualifiers:

» Mitch Barnhart, Kentucky: The 58-year-old native of Kansas City, Kansas, has been at Kentucky for 15 years. The Wildcats are known for basketball, but Barnhart has built the program into a regular Top 10 contender in the Director’s Cup. But dislodging Barnhart from his current post is considered unlikely.

» Danny White, Central Florida: White, 37, is considered a rising star in the business, with a strong pedigree. His father is A.D. at Duke, one brother is an associate A.D. at Missouri and another brother is the basketball coach at Florida. He also is Scott Frost’s boss. But he likely isn’t quite experienced enough yet for this job.

» Chris Del Conte, TCU: In his ninth year with the Frogs, Del Conte ushered the school into the Big 12 and has upgraded nearly every facility while seeing the competitive success of TCU rise across the board. His talent is obvious, but again is considered a difficult-to-dislodge candidate.

The other question I posed was whether Nebraska needs to hire someone with direct Nebraska connections.

One longtime friend in athletics said the hire doesn’t need to be a Nebraskan, but must have a sense of what Husker football means to the state’s 1.9 million occupants.

“That program belongs to the people of Nebraska,’’ that A.D. said. “And the people there want football that reflects who they are and how they live their lives — hard-working, straight-forward and no nonsense.’’

In other words, act like you’ve been coached-up and play like you care. That’s always been the standard at Nebraska.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Had a discussion with some friends: What if Scott Frost had no Nebraska connections, and UCF loses 0-2 games this season. Would you think it was a good hire?

I think I'd say yes.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

MourningView posted:

Disagree. It'd be nice but it shouldn't be the top priority. There's gonna be a cap to how well they can recruit there regardless of who it is unless it's, like, Urban Meyer or something. They're far from any of the really talent rich states and no one in high school now remembers them as a super power. They need someone who is either really good/different tactically or someone in the Ferentz/Alvarez mold who can develop/scout like a motherfucker to get the most of the underrecruited talent in the area

Dingdingding. (although Callahan did reel in a top 5 class in 2005 :v: )

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
And here it is

https://twitter.com/huskerextra/status/919632888341114881

Had been at Wazzu since 2010; was at Oregon from 1995 to 2007. Anyone want to tell me how I should think about this

E: From Wiki

quote:

Moos left Oregon in 2007 after a dispute with Nike founder Phil Knight, who was a big donor to the Oregon Athletics program.[2] He had signed an agreement which pays him $200,000 a year for not taking an administrative position at a BCS conference university west of the Mississippi River. During his hiatus between 2007 and 2010, Moos took to raising beef at his Valleyford, Washington ranch. The exact reasons for his resignation are unknown, but the dispute with Knight regarding funding for an arena to replace the aging McArthur Court "strained a bit toward the end." After Moos resigned, Knight donated $100 million towards the building of a new arena for Oregon.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 15, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I was impressed by Moos in his intro press conference (plus we got to hear the story about his interview with Leach, which went about like you'd imagine it would). Afterward, in response to a reporter, he said something along the lines of "I don't see the point in firing a coach mid-season" so that answers that.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Kim Jong Il posted:

Nebraska would hire Paul Johnson if they weren't stupid.

Replacing a 64-year-old with a 60-year-old is gonna be a tough sell, nevermind the massive gear shift in offensive system that would need to occur (granted, this would happen under Frost as well)

Meanwhile,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 23, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
C'mon man, we have First Friday artwalks like all lib oases

Also,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Nebraska is 4-4, having scored a go-ahead TD in West Lafayette with 0:14 to go last night. The rest of the sched:

vs Northwestern
@ Minnesota
@ Penn State
vs Iowa

poo poo, we could finish 7-5 or 4-8 (though if we were somehow to win in State College, retain Riley, gently caress a Nittany). Not knowing how Bill Moos thinks, I'll venture a guess that not getting outright embarrassed at Penn State and winning the other three could buy Riley another year, but I sure as hell wouldn't bet on it.

And if Riley goes, Plan A's going to be "Give Frost whatever he wants." No bloody idea what Plan B is.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I would also think Scott Frost would be more interested in the Nebraska job, but you never know.

Everything out there is conjecture right now. Already read a couple columns today that say he would opt for UF because of the talent base, but nobody loving knows; Frost walks to the beat of his own drat drum

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Why the gently caress would anyone want to leave an incredibly secure job in Seattle

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Benne posted:

Do they just bring back Mangino and pretend that whole abuse thing never happened?

Fun thing I just learned: They inducted him into their hall of fame at the beginning of the season alongside Aqib Talib

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/mark-mangino-reflects-on-his-complicated-kansas-exit-and-improbable-2007-team/

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Another thing I just learned: Youngstown State is 3-5

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I think the new AD is going to throw everything at him — it just makes too much sense. I don't know if he comes home, though. Nobody does.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

MourningView posted:

none of likely open jobs except maybe Nebraska seem like a slam dunk fit for him.

Elaborate on this? Because he's gotten results in a hard-to-recruit place?

I don't disagree or anything — I honestly don't know much about the guy other than he was at Toledo prior to Ames.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Jesus christ, CB.

Uh, anyway, RE: Mike Riley, if the coffin wasn't already nailed shut, it's been welded shut after that loss. I don't remember the last game played in which we weren't straight-up outcoached (save for Illinois, but c'mon). Watching Iowa destroy Ohio State, who beat us as comprehensively as I've seen a team beat us in memory, didn't help matters much.

I just hope Bill Moos has a plan in case the draw of raising his kid near his grandparents isn't enough to bring Frost back home, or whatever the argument is.

swickles posted:

I meant more along the lines of keeping him a year to lower the buyout. Its a bad look if you can't land the top prospect coach who was the face of your school for a while. Better to just keep Riley and go after then top guy next year. It would be like if Tebow was the hot coaching name and he turned down Florida for another school.

At this point, the majority of the fanbase and boosters would take just about anyone over Riley. Recruiting is already starting to suffer and next year's schedule is how-the-hell-did-the-B1G-clear-this hard. A new coach will get some leeway with it.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 5, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
There are at least three "official" Nebraska bars in Chicago, last I checked. Watch a couple games at Kirkwood and the Bird's Nest

Grittybeard posted:

That...might actually be a decent fit? I sure wouldn't be excited about it if I were a Nebraska fan but Bert was built to coach in the Big 10.

He's not getting hired even at a down and desperate Nebraska coming off this year though.

There was a weird afternoon in 2014 when FootballScoop broke that we were going after him. It made no drat sense and to this day I think it was totally bogus. I doubt Moos goes after him.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 5, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Thermos H Christ posted:

Please hire Tim Beck, Ohio State went 23-3 when he was their OC and he’s a great recruiter, he’s totally earned a shot!

Beck's name came up when KU fired Weis and a lot of us were like "ohpleaseohplease" (and then Pelini got fired two months later so whatever)

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Or he's just waiting until Bill Snyder's Taco Bell diet can no longer sustain his current form

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/HamptonKevin/status/927726766256353280

Alright.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Excuse me, but his son is a backup fullback at Nebraska, and

(I'd take him too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
All of that would be fine, but I don't think he, Diaco, Langsdorf and several other position heads have proven they can coach worth a drat. I seriously struggle to think of the last game in which they outcoached anyone not named Lovie Smith.

• Locked thread