Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

TheGreyGhost posted:

Boston College - Steve Addazio is signed through 2020 and has had 3 good years with one abominable one in the middle. They're always good for one stupid upset and one completely blown cupcake with the type of low risk-low reward football they play, but it's BC. Only thing that makes me think that Addazio might get fired this year: This is year 2 of the Scot Loeffler experience. He hasn't made it past 2 years in a a job in the last decade. 2/5

This is a 4/5, he's on a very hot seat.

quote:

Rutgers - Oh poor Chris Ash. You fix Ohio State's coverage and introduce a terrifying press man scheme that no one in the conference has the skill players to beat, then you have to try to beat it with a Rutgers team that was recruited for the complete opposite offensive philosophy to what you want to run. You probably have one more year of safety, assuming it doesn't get too much worse, but that seat will heat up very quickly. 3/5

Closer to a 2. I think everyone expects another year of struggles with the roster Flood left, although switching back to a scheme the offense actually fits will help. He won't be under any pressure until 2018 where they'll expect real progress in year 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

General Dog posted:

Jackie Sherrill though early RC (mid 80s to mid 90s) is definitely the apex of the program (post-integration).

This was with Texas down, and it's not a coincidence that their performance fell off post Mack, even if they arguably should have done much better.

In theory UT, TAMU, and OU should all be good, but that SEC West schedule every year is brutal.

General Dog posted:

Not sure how I'd feel about my own team taking a flyer on him, but I kind of think Rex Ryan might kill it as a college coach.

People who say this should look at how terrible Lovie is at Illinois. At this point, the NFL is a different game.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

yeah, athletics is doing well. the university however is really hurting (cutting professors, closing dorms) because a lot of rural/suburban students who usually went to MU are going to Southwest Missouri State instead, and out-of-staters are still thinking the university is run by those people and thus giving them a pass

Why would you pass up a national research university to go to the middle of nowhere? Are they just really into farming?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
There's been talk for a while that Mullen is very gettable, although certainly could just mean his agent likes having negotiating leverage.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I wonder if Tennessee would take a shot at Bobby Petrino?

I thought they were crazy to hire Butch over him, scandal and all. And I'm not trying to rag on you here, I was shocked from day one that they hired a guy who was so consistently mediocre in the Big East.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Rutgers:

1973-1983: Frank Burns - A pretty good FCS coach. Played a FCS schedule for half of his tenure, but had 0 resources to work with. Half fired half retired
1984-1989: Dick Anderson - An ok coach who was a bad recruiter. Fired
1990-1995: Doug Graber - A solid coach who had horrible team discipline. He could have been very successful if so many players didn't fail out or get kicked off the team, he was signing top 25 recruiting classes. Fired
1996-2000: Terry Shea - Utterly inept in all ways. Fired
2001-2011: Greg Schiano - A great program builder and recruiter who can't coach to save his life, so, uh, congrats Tennessee? He runs a clean program though. (I'd bet on him being the New England DC next year though...) Left for the NFL in hilarious fashion
2012-2015: Kyle Flood - I truly hate this man. Fired
2016-: Chris Ash - Has done well at the program building piece, but has made a LOT of mistakes so far. Not fair to judge him until next year, but starting to get restless. At least our players are going to class and not getting arrested every week like they were under Flood.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 13, 2017

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Lovie is really bad, but Illinois will just be a parade of sadness forever I guess.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

I don't have a ton of faith in the hire but it's way too early to judge Lovie. The cupboard was completley bare and last year was basically a throwaway. He got hired late in the process and didn't have any time to recruit, so the freshman class was whatever a lame duck Cubit managed to cobble together after the Beckman disaster. This is his first actual class and they've started 13 true freshman already, including 4 on the offensive line and I think 3 on the DL

Small sample size, but both times we played them they made insane, unthinkable mistakes. The two guys who seemed completely over their head were him and Claeys, and Claeys is gone. Illinois looks like the closest thing I've ever seen to Greg Robinson Syracuse.

Cubit was also a lot better with that roster. I think this is going to end up like when Lane hired his dad at USC, and also disproves the oft-repeated Rex Ryan/Herm Edwards/etc... should just get a college job argument.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Simplex posted:

He's playing a bunch of young players who are all presumably "his" guys. But, I wonder a lot of time in those situations if those guys are playing because they actually are better, or if they are just playing because they are his guys.

There are cases like Rutgers where 90% of the players the old regime recruited are garbage. But it doesn't seem like he's recruiting that well?

Like I would bet millions of dollars on Lovie failing at Illinois, beyond just that most people do.

DJExile posted:

what the gently caress is happening at Maryland :psyduck:

They've been a complete dumpster fire for years. Their AD is deep in debt because of spending on basketball facilities after they won the national title 15 years ago. Their football program has been bad for decade since Fridge left, and even then it wasn't that good late in his tenure.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 15, 2017

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Brohm has a lovely roster, and he has a track record. He's a good coach. I think he'll wait for Louisville to open up.

I'll add Dino Babers to the list. Baylor was stupid not to go after him last year. His tenure hasn't been perfect, but dude knows how to coach offense, and I think he'd be insane with better talent.

Dave Clawson and Dave Doeren seem like good candidates to move up. Nebraska would hire Paul Johnson if they weren't stupid.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

What the hell kind of fine art is there in Nebraska

Not Nebraska, but most people don't know that Tulsa has an insane museum scene.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

an adult beverage posted:

I don't see why Butch wouldn't be fine at a G5 school. He did decent enough at Cincy and Central Michigan, he would probably be sufficient for say a Ball State or Kent State or other similar G5 school in a midwest hellscape town.

Edit: Looking back at his record, I'm surprised Tennessee hired him, what was the deal with that year's carousel? Seems like he did fine, but not so stellar that I would hand him the keys to a top-20 job.

It drove me insane at the time. I actually watched him in the Big East. He was a caretaker for Brian Kelly's players and you could see them getting worse.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
McMurphy used to be the USF beatwriter, so at minimum the Leavitt story came from his agent, if not him. Leavitt's also a crazy person btw.

MourningView posted:

He’s was the coach last year. Because what better way to endear yourself to an extremely uninterested new market than with the excitement of Jeff Fisher?

I don’t think he’s in LA, but he’s from here and played at USC so he always inevitably gets mentioned when jobs at one of the local teams open up. UCLA isn’t as good a job as people want to pretend it is because of location (it’s like west coast Illinois in that regard) but it can obviously do way better than Fisher

It's not like it's in Riverside and they've been more successful. It's more they've been kinda meh and should be much better. The fit isn't perfect, but if anything, it's like west coast Texas or Florida. People forget how good they've been.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

Schiano is an rear end in a top hat but he’s a really good coach

He's not an rear end in a top hat and he's a really bad coach. He's a good program builder, but he is such a horrific fit for there.

iospace posted:

Considering he made a program, somehow, out of Rutgers...

Schiano wasn't significantly better than the norm for Rutgers. He was a really great program builder and recruiter who is horrifically, comically bad at game management. He is a better coach than Dooley and Jones but definitely will be in the bottom half of the SEC.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

DJExile posted:

Paul Haynes has been fired by Kent State.

Near as I can tell it was mostly down to that. Team was doing well with him but supporting the players considering a boycott of the bowl game basically became a "with us or against us" thing as far as the athletic dept was concerned.

Watching the games, the wheels were SERIOUSLY coming off. He 100% deserved the shitcanning just for on the field. Just I think they made a bad hire to replace him.

Your persistent refusal to consider facts remains as charming as ever.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

Everyone had already spent like 400 posts explaining why you are insane and delusional for continuing to push the idea that Rutgers is anything but one of the worst P5 teams historically, I don’t think anyone really needs to read it again. Congrats on owing the Pat league for a few years, everyone is very impressed

If you mean people refusing to actually look at the numbers and not constructing arguments. Schiano is a really bad gameday coach who is wildly overrated on the field, and you can quote this post after his inevitable failure at Tennessee just like you can go back and find me wildly laughing about the Butch Jones hire.

Randaconda posted:

"Facts"

"Guys, it's totally fact that Rutgers hasn't been a basement dweller for the modern football era!"

You know that Google exists right.

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is when he tells you to google them and then ignores when the results disprove his point.

They don't. Look them up.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

They get looked up and posted literally every time this discussion happens and inevitably prove that Rutgers sucks rear end by any reasonable standard. Your posting is a vicious Rutgers football induced cycle.

Literally everything you said is wrong.

Randaconda posted:

Yes? And it shows they've been mediocre at best, off and on, and loving terrible the rest? I mean, unless some other site has the numerous major bowl wins, defeats of top ten opponents, and high end of season rankings.

My point is that they've been mediocre by norm, that's what the actual data shows. So Schiano really didn't accomplish that much on the field. He was really good at recruiting and developing players, and then kept losing games to inferior teams. I've never said they were world beaters, just that everyone who claims they're historically awful is wrong.

Flood was not a significant downgrade from Schiano on the field. It's off the field where he was probably the worst program administrator in the history of time.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

General Dog posted:

Off the field is like 60-70% of the job, how can someone follow CFB and not understand this

I didn't say it wasn't. Just that Tennessee has had two straight recruiters who can't coach, if they want to hire another, be my guest. It was the exact same logic used to hire Al Golden at Miami.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I don't know why we have to argue about this every 3 months. Look up the all time records dude, your team is loving garbage. You're in the Northwestern/Duke/Vanderbilt tier all time. The recent stretch Michigan has had that makes Michigan fans insane and has seen us go from fans of a powerhouse program to a miserable also ran that never wins anything would be historically great at Rutgers. That's how lovely you are. gently caress man. Why is this so important to you? Rutgers won TWO big ten games this year! You're on the way up! Stop living in your lovely past!

I mean look at this poo poo

And if you're saying, AHA, look at those bitching Frank Burns years that show we haven't been a doormat for the past 4 decades, it's because Rutgers had found its level back then and played similar football schools every year, like Bucknell, Yale, Princeton, Villanova, Cornell, Holy Cross, Colgate, Holy Cross again, Villanova again, Bucknell again, and William & Mary.

When Rutgers has been in a real conference, they've been bad, outside of like 2 good years with Schiano. That's been true for almost 100 years

So your argument is you're a spoiled Michigan fan and anything that's not Bo is poo poo.

If you actually look at the yearly records and schedules, the norm is Rutgers playing an average schedule and being mediocre. What you cited completely contradicts your argument. Schiano was slightly better than Dick Anderson and Doug Graber playing worse schedules, while having way more institutional advantages. Frank Burns was the best coach of them all in that he was competitive against top SEC teams.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 26, 2017

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Dude y'all played like Princeton and Baker-Fuckfield state until like, the loving 90s

You're 20 years off.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Eh, I don't know about that. Recruiting bases change, facilities need to be kept up with.

Like look at Pitt. Pitt was dominate for years, but the recruiting base starts changing, they don't make good investments in their infrastructure, have some incredibly bad hires and weeeelp.

And poo poo, holy double standards. Pitt had a very brief stretch of being really good in the late 70s/early 80s, and it was absolutely, 100%, all SWC, bags of cash and cadillacs cheating. You yourself know how profoundly disappointing they've been for the past 35 years, to the point where it's unarguable that Dave Wannstedt was their absolute peak.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Eltoasto posted:

He was already DC at OSU when that testimony was unsealed, so that's why it wasn't brought up when he was hired. It may be that the Wapo article is poorly written but it's saying this happened in 2005-2006, and Schiano was gone from PSU for a decade before that.

It said Bradley told McQueary about it then. Schiano worked at PSU from '90-'95.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Schiano didn't abuse his players at Rutgers and was generally well liked, although a handful of people hate him because he was a crazy control freak.

But anyone who knew about Sandusky and did nothing is a piece of poo poo who should never work again, even if he was just a scared nobody and even if he told garbage king Paterno.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

He's a middling, limited gameday coach, a better program builder who ran a squeaky clean program (even with guys who had bad pasts or who went on to do bad stuff after they left like Ray Rice) and a good guy in the community. He was here for 10+ years and no one ever had a bad word to say about him personally. He also really handled himself exceptionally during the whole Eric Legrand injury.

Mostly yes, but

quote:

It's impossible to believe that he's the type of guy who would know about something like that and not report it.

It really doesn't have anything to do with the other. You can tell stories about how this is plausible that put him in better or worse lights, but we don't loving know. I would have never in a million years thought Ray Rice could hurt a fly based on countless stories of him being this shy little wallflower, and it's not a homerism thing because there are guys who nothing would have surprised you. If the past few years haven't taught you that hero worship is bullshit, I don't know what to tell you.

This isn't a court of law, it's not like he's getting arraigned over this. He's losing a job and possibly a payday. He still has a really good job, and he still has reasonable career opportunities. 99% of Americans would kill to be in his position professionally. It doesn't matter if UT fans are full of poo poo or not - the good/bad coach poo poo is besides the point. Once that article came out in June of 2016 and he was even associated with Sandusky, I wouldn't want anything to do with him here. It's a more than fair principle that anything tied to Sandusky and PSU is 100% toxic under any circumstances.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

swickles posted:

For real though is Schiano a bad coach? I mean he is clearly a bad NFL HC, but we all know that is an entirely different skill set than college HC. He seems to be a good DC, and the fact that he made Rutgers above average seems to be a huge plus in his favor. I guess he doesn't have any other college HC experience to point to. I know its a huge thing to say "lets ignore the cover up of child rape" but I am genuinely curious why he would be a bad hire as a college coach.

He's a bad gameday coach who is good at the other stuff. They could do a lot better, but they probably won't know that the job is seen as toxic.

edit: obligatory the Big Ten sucks and hopefully we'll get our poo poo together as Kyle Flood's trainwreck of a tenure hits the rearview mirror.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 27, 2017

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Y'all hired Schiano's incompetent right hand lackey (who committed recruiting violations when he worked under Flood) as S/T coach, so congrats on that.

I never thought anyone would top 2013 Rutgers for most embarrassing public athletic department civil war, but here we are. Although that was like the indie, hipster version, not this Michael Bay, epic masterpiece.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
There were a lot of reports two years ago that UCF tried hard for Schiano and he passed, because he thought he had a good chance at Miami and USC that year.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Cristobal is exactly what Schiano is/would be, good program/recruiter who can't coach. The whole 70+ players petitioning thing really scares me, that usually doesn't end well.

I'm curious to see how the early signing day wrecks havoc with some of these changes.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

what is bad about his coaching

I followed him very closely at FIU because he was seen as a potential successor to Schiano. He, like Schiano, built these very strong teams relative to the other teams on their schedule, and then would lose 2-3 games per year against inferior competition.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Raku posted:

What could possibly be considered inferior competition to fiu and rutgers

Pitt, Syracuse, BC, UConn, etc... Schiano's teams were way better in terms of on field talent and would lose these WTF games.

MourningView posted:

FIU was an absolute pit (they had literally never been over .500) when he got their with no institutional support for football at all. Basically the only thing it had going for it was location. He recruited amazingly well under the circumstances but it’s not like he was lapping the Sun Belt or something, especially because they had huge academic issues before he got there and were on scholarship restrictions as a result, which hurt depth. Like TY Hilton was obviously way too good for the Sun Belt but it’s not like he had a whole team of those guys.

That doesn't refute what I said. Both Cristobal and Schiano are awesome at rebuilding. They also are bad choices for top jobs.

Sent from my iPad posted:

Cristobal’s potential is huge and the downsides contained. If Oregon can retain a lot of their staff, especially Leavitt, it’s hard to see them not be in the top 2 or 3 of Pac teams next year. If things implode (or are even just meh) over the next couple years, they can fire Cristobal and make a run at a top flight coach earlier in the annual carousel process, without having to rush or get leftovers.

Broken record at this point, but this is exactly what we said about Kyle Flood, and would have been the case if it wasn't for a basketball scandal that caused our AD to be fired and a Tennessee-style AD civil war to break out. You can't leave poo poo like this to chance.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 9, 2017

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Even if your coach is horrible, if you fire them every two years, you turn into the Browns. Beatty sort of seemed like he was making progress last year, and aw gently caress what does it really matter anyway.

They should throw a bunch of money at one of the Air Raid guys, or see if Venables wants to get revenge on Snyder's stupid son.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

3 wins in 3 years should be unacceptable anywhere even historically terrible programs like Kansas or Rutgers

God it's going to be amazing when Ferentz retires and you're Iowa State.

nate fisher posted:

Edit: I just read Fulmer passed his recruiting test, and will be hitting the road to recruit. What in the hell? Has an AD ever done this before?

Tim Pernetti at Rutgers, and I'd be surprised if Alvarez hasn't done this.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

an adult beverage posted:

He's dead, Jim.

Nope. I get through these cold nights remembering how great it was to shut everyone up 12 years ago, and how great it will be soon.

Kill is legitimately great at generating a running game and horrific at passing, but holy poo poo we can't afford more turnover.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

Ah yes. The team that was top 15. College football was certainly worried.

Jesus gently caress you are dense, and that was 11 years ago, it wasn't what I was talking about. It's being a respectable program.

Bow down to the winners of the 2006 Texas Bowl, the literal highlight of the entire history of college football's oldest program

Also everyone's reaction to that season was "hey it's pretty cool that Rutgers is doing well" not "oh no, I was wrong about this atrocious program a few years removed from a winless season!"

Because the Big East's bowl tie ins were a joke.

Anyway, supposedly Rutgers and South Carolina are both trying to hire Phil Longo from Ole Miss.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 16, 2017

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Noctone posted:

I wonder if Trump is also President in whatever timeline KJI is posting from.

It's incredible how you and others keep arguing for this idiotic, laughably easy to disprove lie. I'm not offended, it's just no, facts exist dude. Roy Moore didn't ride on dinosaurs with Jesus and Rutgers is a mediocre football program that's unfairly thought of as worse than it actually has been. I don't like talking about it all the time either, but if people keep saying it then they're going to have to defend it.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Stunt Rock posted:

If Ole Miss wants to keep Longo they will keep him. Matt Luke’s contract doesn’t pay him tons, but it gives him a salary pool of a little over $5 million for assistants.

It’s possible they may not fight to keep him, as some fans were inexplicably upset with his work (particularly how the offense did against good defenses) but I thought he did a fine job and would be sad to see him go.

It's been pointed out that Jedd Fisch is out of work, so he wouldn't shock me either.

Longo is a weird schematic fit for the roster, and only really makes sense if he's on the way out or is desperate to come him. Having a spread guy when they had a roster built for running every down cost them 3 wins in 2015, and they can't afford that kind of rebuild from scratch again in year 3.

There were lots of crazy stories today about P5 teams hiring G5 coordinators as their 10th assistant (like Grinch, and Bama hiring someone's DC), so I don't know how that throws a wrench into things. Thankfully, people don't realize yet I think that Jay Niemann is a really good DC.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Second.

The names that have been tossed out are Longo, Fisch, Dan Enos, and Noel Mazzone, who seem to be making the rounds for most openings.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Rutgers is going to go .500 with our poo poo schedule next year and Illinois couldn't loving dream of that!

Ash just poo poo-canned Wally Burnham, the DL coach. He wasn't terrible, just kinda mediocre, never lived up to the hype he got at Iowa State.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Stunt Rock posted:

Longo isn't going anywhere.

He followed a bunch of Rutgers coaches on Twitter today before quickly unfollowing when people noticed. :confused:

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Stunt Rock posted:

Ole Miss just got a huge pool of money for assistants so he may just be angling for a raise. If they want to keep him they can match Rutgers easily. Longo can stay putting up stupid numbers in the SEC and jump ship to a better program. Leaving to go to Rutgers seems ... unlikely. But if he does, he does. I’m more concerned about losing WR coach Jacob Peeler, who is also one hell of a recruiter.

Absolutely, and if it's not clear I'm not saying anything's a done deal or anything, they've been linked to a few different names. The only reasons Longo is conceivably an option (and no one has said he's the most likely) are because he's from NJ and the Ole Miss sanctions.

The raise stuff absolutely happens all the time.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Cnidario posted:

Who was Arky’s DC last year?

Robb Smith, who's now at Minnesota.

The teams off the top of my head that need OCs:

Rutgers
Missouri
Illinois
LSU
South Carolina
Syracuse
And it's rumored that Michigan is trying to get Fisch and or Enos on top of Hamilton, which is odd.

Rhett Lashlee from UConn, formerly Auburn, had a good 2017 given what he had to work with and is getting some play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Democrazy posted:

If Rhett Lashlee moves on, just fold the program. He’s all they got now.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't leave. Rutgers and South Carolina are supposed to have heavy interest.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

There is a rumor that Greg Frey is leaving to go to his alma mater at FSU

If this were the case, Michigan would have plenty of room for an offensive coach.

I think it's separate in that there's also the 10th assistant thing.

• Locked thread