Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

LeeMajors posted:

I'm legit unsure where we will look to be honest. Some folks are clamoring for Taggart as tailor-made for UF - but I dunno if he'd leave Oregon after a year.

Maybe throw a boatload of cash at Fuente?

gently caress it - let's get Holgo throwing bombs all everywhere. Or Leach.

gently caress. Off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Pakled posted:

So what's up with Bud Foster? I thought the general consensus for years was that he was waiting for Beamer to retire before taking the reins at VT, but that came and went and he's still there despite, I'm sure, some interest from somebody to get him as a HC. Does he just not want to be a head coach? Does he have some horrible Sanduskyan open secret preventing anyone from hiring him?

The rumors from rival fanbases (read: UVA) say he's a terrible interview (possible) and a mad drunk (possible but not probable). You never really hear those things ever inside the fanbase even from fringe fans who wouldn't care about saying a rumor like that about a beloved coach and I've heard my fair share of poo poo about the staff over the years so I don't lend a ton of weight to it, especially not when far bigger known pieces of poo poo get HC jobs everywhere. He's very no-nonsense which is usually a poor HC quality for a major program when it comes to dealing with media, recruits, etc. although there's something to be said for him going from a very, very bad recruiter to an average one the past 4-5 years.

My personal opinion is he backed himself into a corner on purpose because he knew how good he had it here. He publicly refused to take other DC jobs (why would you if you were him) or to take a G5 or traditionally bad P5 job although he was probably approached dozens of times over the years for this or that, most famously by SOS to DC for UF in '98. If he was going to go somewhere it'd have to be a top-40ish school and those are hard but not impossible to get with no HC experience whatsoever no matter how talented you are as a coordinator. I also think Frank promised him the job or slotted him as such with the old AD, Jim Weaver. Problem was not only did Frank hang around too long but Jim Weaver got terminally ill and had to retire before Frank and so unless VT hired from within (absolutely no chance) for AD he wasn't going to get the job since Beamer would have no pull with a new AD who wasn't about to hitch his wagon to Frank's whims. If Weaver had stayed healthy I think Bud would be the HC but between that and Frank hanging on too long it screwed him. VT hired Babcock, who is probably a top 5-10 AD currently, and the choice was made.

I'm not sure how Bud would have done. I think he'd have hired an ace OC but I don't know how recruiting would go and I don't know about him as the big chief. Given his age I don't think he'd have been there for long and odds are I think his tenure would have ended on a bad note and forever soured his stay in Blacksburg where he will leave as admired or moreso than Beamer. I think Bud made peace with all of that when Weaver had to step down early which is why Babcock was able to convince him to stay and whenever he leaves they're going to name something for him, which is virtually unheard of for an assistant. I feel for him but sometimes things just aren't meant to be. The day that man retires I will weep because it's difficult to point out a non-HC who has carried a program further and longer than Bud Foster.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 30, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Chip Kelly, coach, was really good. Chip Kelly, recruiter who also had Nike backing him everywhere, was pretty good. Chip Kelly, recruiter who no longer has a billionaire behind him showering the facilities and needs of recruit with dollars, is unknown.

Chip will be fine again in college if he wants because any high scoring offense sells itself and 95% of fans are happier losing 56-53 than 17-14.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It seems more likely that if they have made a decision to fire Butch, that they're either going to let him coach out the year out of respect or they're still working out the details of a buy out.

No chance the former is true.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I know I'm at a good place in my fandom because I have absolutely no loving clue what Fuente's wife looks like. Hell, I couldn't pick Cheryl Beamer out of a lineup and Frank coached at VT for 29 years.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The year is 2022, and Tennessee has just spent 60 million dollars to buyout Butch Jones and hire Jon Gruden. They have finished 3rd in the SEC East the past four years...

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Benne posted:

Every 2-3 years, Jon Gruden makes some mumbling half-assed statements about how he'd be open to coaching again someday, and he conveniently gets a raise from ESPN shortly afterwards. It's like how Saban plants Texas rumors every time he wants a new boat.

Gruden's not even doing that this year. It's a hilarious pipe dream.

He said the exact words "Man, I miss coaching sometimes" on Sunday and I was instantly laughing at all the Vol fans who probably started chubbing up. He's either dropping hints or trolling UT hardcore.

The money they're going to spend to jettison Butch and hire Gruden is so high (I'm saying 16-18 mil a year for Gruden + assistants) that it just has to fail for the sake of hilarity. As funny as it is for him to dash hopes by not accepting the job, crushing their very spirits by accepting then turning out to be poo poo as a college coach is a thousand times better.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

As hard as you are over this, which is really weird, the only people I’ve heard that want this are the guys over at r/ockytop. Even the 247 boards don’t want him.

There’s also no one here that does either.

I personally think it’s all a bunch of BS and we end up with someone that has only been mentioned in passing or someone no one thought of.

I also think UT is building a case to fire butch for cause and shirk the buyout, so there’s money saved.

I absolutely do not believe Gruden will be the guy and I’ll be really disappointed if he is.

Right, hating some teams and wishing abject failure upon them is so totally crazy in the sports world.

Don't take it so personal. I want weird poo poo to happen to teams other than mine and your fanbase is ripe for ridicule.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

Not taking it personal, you’re just acting like all vol fans want it to happen and that’s not entirely true. I then offered my opinion on the matter, which probably isn’t far off from what the other guys here think.

Outside of the news outlets running with every story about it and the weirdos at r/ockytop I honestly haven’t heard of a single rational person wanting him there.

e: why the gently caress does my phone keep making this stupid bullshit when I️ type I

Nobody here is representative of their fanbase in the slightest, we're all way smarter and more realistic about who our staff, players, and programs are at the end of the day. I agree entirely that Gruden is not only an odd choice but would have a good chance to bust (which is the funny part to me). That said, your fans would go apeshit if he was the pick, the grumbling of skeptical fans would pale in comparison to the cheers for the hire.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Duke cares about football as little as Kansas and was essentially neck-and-neck with them for bottom of P5 status in a given year, if they can turn it around there's no reason Kansas can't. If anything, they need a situation like Cutcliffe where a coach is less likely to leave them to move up. Find an older assistant that might want to end his career as a HC and go in that direction unless you want to constantly replace up-and-comers as bigger P5s steal from you. With Kansas the way it is now if all the guy does is 6-6 each year he could coach there for life.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

If UF wants Fuente I hope you enjoy never winning a big game.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

lol dude come on

What part of them needing literal goddamn miracles to beat FSU and GT, scraping by hapless UNC and lovely Cuse and loving STEAMROLLING VT isn't making sense?

Iowa State has more big wins in one season than VT has in its entire history.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I like Fuente, and think he was a great hire. He will close that gap, and VT will win the ACC sooner or later. Also at least he is beating the teams he should beat, unlike my coach Butch Jones.

:lol: what part of Fuente makes you do anything but remember Beamer's last lovely years? I mean be 100% honest, sit down and ask yourself where he is making the difference that will beat a coach like Dabo in the ACCCG. This isn't the snoozefest ACC of Beamer's day.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He’s coached one and one half seasons for you.

3 big games, 3 big failures. Only reasonably close game was when Jerod Evans carried the entire team.

Dilber posted:

I told you we aren't as bad as we looked against UNC.

Wouldn't use us as anything resembling a yard stick for success since we have no big win to speak of, you beat a nothing.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

you lost to a really good team, it’s not the end of the world. Your starting QB is a true freshman! Fuente is an awesome offensive coach and VT is still gonna be a like top 20 team, you’re gonna be fine.

And “in its history” jesus christ. You played in a national title game!

Like, I feel like none of you get this: the loss isn't what loving bothers me, it's HOW we lose. Every single time we play a game worth a loving poo poo we get absolutely steamrolled. Every goddamn time. Turnovers, no aggression, lovely tackling, can't catch, coaches overwhelmed, team unprepared, zero effort or intensity shown. Every. Single. Time.

If we turned out against Clemson and Miami this year and lost one score games I would be totally fine because I didn't expect to necessarily win a big game this year but just getting humiliated over and over, nothing ever changes.

If Matt Campbell can take Iowa loving State and beat two top 5 teams in a season (fun fact: VT has one top 5 win ever) then Fuente should be able to take a much better VT program and appear competitive in any sort of game against a decent team.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

“We aren’t competing with the reigning national champions and losers of only two games in the last two years with our new head coach, WHAT IS HE EVEN DOING HERE?!”

.500 Cuse can beat them but VT can't stay within 17, it's just :lol: that you guys excuse bad coaching failures.

I do like how you can't easily explain away getting rolled by Miami though.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

Clearly that one random game is the one that is representative of what Clemson is this year and not, like, every other game they’ve played.

And Iowa State is traditionally dogshit and VT is traditionally good but I'll trade in buckets of losses for not being humiliated every single time they play a big game.

Like I said, ISU has more top 5 wins in one season than VT has in 120 years of football. That's what is unacceptable to me and I'm sorry if that offends you.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

This is not true and also completely insane.

Uh, yes it is. VT was 1-29 all-time under Beamer against top 5 teams. It's 0-1 under Fuente and pre-Beamer VT probably was 0-fer against like top 20 teams much less top 5.

VT has A win against a top 5 team in its history.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Jesus Christ Miami is pretty good, why are you melting down about this?

Also to be noted Iowa State has 2 of their three top 5 wins of 150 (however many) years of football this year. Their season is not a normal thing (you know this though and just want to be angry).

So before this season VT had as many top 5 wins as Iowa State did, just so we're clear. That's totally acceptable, though, right?

You clearly didn't watch the game, you just saw the score and said "OK" and moved on. Miracles needed to beat a 2 win FSU or a .500 GT but them manhandling a so-called top 15 VT is totally fine because "Miami is pretty good". At no point should I hold my staff accountable for the total lack of preparation shown by the team though.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Iowa literally lost to Northwestern, literally. Scored 10 points. They scored 55 against Ohio State. Football is weird and high variance and sometimes a bad matchup or two leads to one team just walking away from another pretty good team.

Calm down and go to sleep.

Quick, ask me if I'd rather be Iowa or VT this year. You think I care about lovely losses to bad teams? VT does that anyway. Iowa plays with more heart against better teams than VT ever does, that's what I loving care about seeing.

MourningView posted:

Top 5 wins is some arbitrary poo poo. Top 5 teams are really good! They’re hard to beat! And really it’s not like a win over a team ranked 6th or 7th is fundamentally that much different. You’ve had a top 25 team almost every dang year for like two decades. You are extremely spoiled.

Great, take it all. Take the bowl streak, take the 10 win seasons, give me all the aches and pains you have as an Iowa fan and give me the big wins and the heart you guys pull out when the games actually matter. You think I give a gently caress about 10 win seasons?

Nothing about VT ever makes you jealous as a fan. Nobody sits down and wishes for VT's consistency. I don't care about it at all.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

I like Kirk (winner of 5 of his last 6 home games against top 5 teams) but if you let me trade him for Fuente I would do it so loving fast. Enjoy inexplicably losing 4 straight to UVA.

You guys are insane, you act like VT doesn't also lose inexplicably too.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Alaois posted:

please check yourself into a mental health institution, CB, we care about your health

lmao get hosed you histrionic buffoon

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Bud Foster posted:

I've never been to a bad bowl game.

Behold the VT staff after losing in embarrassing fashion in yet another major game.

loving :laffo: if you can't see this stuff.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I never saw him as a good fit there anyway but that's easy to say now. No idea where Aggies go next, though. Maybe some hotshot OC/DC?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Chieves posted:

The only thing I don't like about r/cfb (and reddit as a whole) are the nested comment format. Is there a method people use that doesn't make following a conversation impossible?

But that's exactly how conversations on reddit happen. Follow a comment tree to its end then collapse it back to whatever starting point you want then find the next branch, read it and collapse and so on. Honestly, I barely even collapse stuff, your brain will adjust to the flow and your eyes will be able to tell you who is responding to who without having to scroll back and see how the comments align. Just takes a bit of time. If a comment tree contains like more than 5 branches and they aren't wordy replies they're doing memes or song lyrics and you can instantly ignore it. It can get super circle jerky but that comes with the territory of any big site unless you're like SA and openly punish that kind of stuff.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 7, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Zero reason not to give him a shot.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Is KSU going to let Snyder bully them into hiring his son instead of going after Venables?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I hope UT realizes they have to at least pretend to publicly list the opening before hiring someone. They can't fire Butch at 12:00 and hire Gruden at 12:01.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

DJExile posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Darren's right on at least that second front. ADs largely hate dealing with most traditional agents and I think you're going to see them start dying off more and more as coaches keep realizing just how expensive they are.

Anyone signing another person or entity hates dealing with agents because agents are educated and designed to prevent their client from getting hosed over which, make absolutely no mistake, every company or school will do to a perspective client or coach if given the opportunity.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

DJExile posted:

Agents gently caress their own clients over plenty though. Jimmy Sexton literally couldn't represent his own client fully in McElwain because he wanted so badly to get the deal on the next guy going in to Florida, which is a massive conflict of interest. They also almost always tie their compensation into the coach's deal and instead of being compensated one time for the contract work (like most standard contract lawyers), they create their own contracts with the coaches that lock them into paying the agents massive percentages for perpetuity, even if they haven't done anything since the contract.

Not disagreeing but agents exist because employers try to use legalese to gently caress employees at every step of the process. It's akin to trying to hustle a 5 year old, of course the kid won't be able to keep up with what you're saying and will just shake their head at the first thing they hear.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Ehud posted:

Have things seriously devolved that quickly?

Of course not. It sounds like he will be forced to make some (possibly necessary) staff changes but there's no way his seat is even warm.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Isn't the kicker about Patterson that he was so spurned when he was trying to get a job before TCU that now he basically refuses to even listen to other schools as a "gently caress you" to them?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

https://twitter.com/calhouns/status/932050993788936192

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

People have said Kelly wants complete control and maybe that's something UF won't accommodate :shrug:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

I don't understand why any AD would dictate what staff an incoming coach would be required to hire. If true, that's a colossal piece of stupidity by UF.

VT did this actually but a coach would need to be retarded to turn down Bud Foster.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Has Chip always been so monstrously fat? That pic on ESPN's front page makes it look like his cheek fat is about to fold around and swallow his ears.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

This hire feels crucial, and it's already a dog and pony show.

A lot of the "Florida will be fine" nonsense that's been floated since Urban bailed is starting to dry up. Maybe we won't.

Single most talent-rich state in the country and the backing of the SEC, you will forever be fine unless half the state succumbs to flooding from global warming and/or the SEC implodes. It's dumb to think otherwise.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

Counterpoint: While not awful, UF was uniformly mediocre for 90% of its history before 1984 or so. And most of that 80s success was wiped out by cheating.

While there are many built-in advantages, success is certainly not guaranteed in Gainesville.

You can't remove foundations once they're built. Even VT is unfuckable to a certain, different extent. FSU, Miami, Texas, UF, OSU, Michigan, USC, UGA, Bama, etc. can all lose 10 games a year for 20 straight years and if they hire a competent coach in year 21 they could be back in the title game by year 22-23.

Pre-SOS UF has almost nothing in common with current UF and their bottom was far lower than it is now. The draw of the SEC was nothing like it is today and whatever the gently caress happened in HS football down there to make it explode was also nothing like it was pre-SOS.

Once the foundation is established returning to glory days is a question of when not if.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Eh, I don't know about that. Recruiting bases change, facilities need to be kept up with.

Like look at Pitt. Pitt was dominate for years, but the recruiting base starts changing, they don't make good investments in their infrastructure, have some incredibly bad hires and weeeelp.

Or Colorado -- yikes.

Like you need to make a concerted effort to tank a program to erode a foundation. VT was an independent that conferences scheduled for an OOC cupcake and they made like 3 bowl games before Beamer arrived. It will be super duper hard to go back to pre-Beamer levels of play.

Colorado is a bit misleading. Their little run was not at all indicative of a true change as a program, it ended up as more of a blip on the radar. You could maybe say they didn't seize enough on the success to push them forward but it wasn't even a decade and they were right back down to mediocrity where they sprang from anyway.

Pitt is debateable but a lot of what Pitt was pre-dates the modern era which has demonstrably changed the game. I also think they're one of the only places where a recruiting base like that could die due to how jobs dried up and people moved elsewhere. Most of the schools we're talking about have evergreen recruiting grounds or national pull due to decades upon decades of tradition carrying their name even if their team isn't at the moment.

I guess it's not impossible to erode a foundation but it is intensely difficult and requires almost deliberate effort to do so and that's for a lesser program like VT or something. Trying to turn UF back into pre-SOS UF is virtually impossible short of defunding the entire thing.

C. Everett Koop posted:

And by foundations you mean money. If the money got pulled out of one of these programs, or football in general, they'd absolutely fall apart.

Football is a bubble to a certain extent, and it may be a too big fail one at that.

Obviously but like I said, the second they luck into a decent coach all of that floods back anyway. Blueblood programs can suffer historic droughts and usually respond by breaking donation and attendance records the second things look better.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 26, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Nevermind, I totally forgot Kelly was only at Oregon for 4 years.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

VolNation is working at a crawl currently but the top thread is "It's Schiano! Get a rope" and I'm just :allears:

• Locked thread