Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
This talk about wanting Bobo back just cracks me up because of how much UGA fans bitched about him when he was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I don't get Shoop's stance here. His contract clearly calls for him to pay it back but all his lawyers are seeming to say is "nope not doing it" without any explanation or defense on why.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
http://tennessee.247sports.com/Article/Should-Ole-Miss-football-consider-Derek-Dooley-to-replace-Hugh-F-105331035

Lmao

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

an adult beverage posted:

Unfortunately Butch is probably a dead man after they get stomped by Georgia this week.

I just went "Unfortunately?!?!" and then I got it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Why would Louisville want to fire Petrino though? He's been a big success as far as I can tell.

If another school takes a shot at him his buyout is less? Or is that a different thing?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

He hasn't done anything awful at Louisville that I can recall so why rock the boat and even bother with the buyout when he's been hugely successful for them?

I don't know why they'd fire him but I think the better point (because it's mine) is that he becomes cheaper to hire for another school (mine)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven't really followed Petrino all that much and I remember the banging coeds and the motorcycle wreck, but aside from that what's he done to make him a "bad guy"? I feel like I haven't heard about him in a while except for just being attached to Louisville's success.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Heh I forgot about the Falcons thing

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey so he fired yet

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This team isn't blowing anyone out. They barely beat loving UMass. You could pull those surprise blowouts when Dobbs would pull games out of his rear end but Dormady/Guarantano aren't doing that. They blew out Indiana state and the offense has gotten worse week to week. It wouldn't surprise me at all for this team to go 2-5 the rest of the season, and I'm not counting LSU as a loss.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LLCoolJD posted:

Give Butch a chance. I want to see the degeneration of his press conferences into full-blown stream of consciousness rants as the season progresses.

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Bolt/Tennessee-Vols-Butch-Jones-shrugs-off-hot-seat-talk-as-nonsense-108360226

quote:

Vols' Butch Jones shrugs off hot-seat talk as 'nonsense'

Coming off Tennessee's 41-0 loss to Georgia on Saturday, Vols coach Butch Jones was greeted Monday night at the Touchdown Club of Memphis by questions about his job security.

Jones shrugged off the increasing speculation about his future at Tennessee as "nonsense," adding that he and his staff will have to "put blinders on" and ignore the criticism as the Vols (3-2, 0-2 SEC) look to make the most of their open date this week.

"That's part of being a head football coach," Jones told Memphis' WATN-TV. "I think that kind of comes with the territory. That's nonsense. It's out there, but again, you put blinders on and you go to work each and every day."

Tennessee now finds itself two games back in the SEC East standings just five games into the season going into its home game Oct. 14 against South Carolina.

But Jones said "it's a long, long football season," and the Vols still have "a lot out there to play for."

"We have a great, passionate fan base, and they're very, very loyal," he said. "We're working hard each and every day, and it's a long, long football season. And the coaching staff, the players, we understand that. But there are seven games left to be played, and there's a lot out there to play for, so we just have to stay the course and continue to work each and every day."

Tennessee will return to the practice field Tuesday afternoon, and Jones said the Vols plan to shake things up during their open-date practices by putting on full pads.

"This bye week is coming at the right time, but also it's a critical moment in the stage and growth and development of this football team, so we'll go back. We're going to go to full-pad practice, and our players want that," Jones said in comments that were aired Monday night on Knoxville's WATE-TV.

"Everyone's driven, and so, again, the next few days are going to be critical."

oh and while I'm at it rumors are flying that 5* OT Cade Mays has/will decommited from the Vols.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 3, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

Dang media has no respect for a coach who consistently leads his team to championships (of life)

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20824576/tennessee-volunteers-coach-butch-jones-criticizes-fake-news-program

quote:

Butch Jones criticizes media coverage of Tennessee program

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee football coach Butch Jones criticized the media coverage of his program Monday while responding to a question about an injured player.

As the final question of his Monday news conference, Jones was asked whether a teammate caused the injury that prevented defensive tackle Shy Tuttle from playing last week in a 17-13 victory over Massachusetts. Jones started out by saying "football is an emotional and a competitive game" before noting the injury wasn't caused by a teammate and that Tuttle merely landed on a helmet.

Jones then expressed his displeasure with the "drama" surrounding media coverage of Tennessee's program and cited "all the positive things we've done."

"I'm the caretaker of Tennessee football," Jones said during his two-minute answer. "I'm here to develop and grow a football program, recruit the best possible student-athletes to represent the University of Tennessee and win football games and graduate our players. That's my responsibility. I take that very seriously.

"But also I love our kids and I'm gonna protect our players, and I'm gonna protect our program. Sometimes the negativity is overwhelming, and if everyone is Vol fans, how do we let our opponents use that in the recruiting process with fake news?"

Jones also said he would "fully anticipate" Tuttle being available for Tennessee's game Saturday with No. 7 Georgia (4-0, 1-0 SEC). The exact nature of Tuttle's injury hasn't been specified.

Jones' rant came as he discussed the need for the Volunteers (3-1, 0-1) to show more passion as they prepare to host Georgia after two straight disappointing performances. Tennessee fell out of the Top 25 after a 26-20 loss at Florida and followed that up with a closer-than-expected victory over winless underdog UMass, an underdog of more than 27 points.

"We have to understand, what do we want out of our media?" Jones asked. "It's this place, with the drama."

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

buddhanc posted:

How the gently caress is butch Jones not fired yet? Buyout be damned, shouldn't schools understand now that the longer something like this festers, the worse off they'll be in every aspect of their program?

We have the week off then play South Carolina, Bama and Kentucky.

I would be surprised if he makes it past Bama.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gruden keeps coming up for the UT job because he was a grad assistant or something a million years ago at UT.

To answer your question, I like to joke about it but no, I don't want him

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fine but what is even the drive to have him as a coach anymore? Forgetting the length of time it's been since he was a coach he still wasn't THAT great of a coach at the end of his career. He couldn't coach up young guys and was obsessed with bringing in old as hell retreads. What about that makes anyone think he'd be a good college coach?

Yeah he won a SB but it's arguable that he did it with Dungy players because once he started bringing in his guys the team tanked.

Bucs offensive rankings:

2003: 10th
2004: 22nd
2005: 23rd
2006: 29th
2007: 18th
2008: 14th

He's supposed to be an offensive genius but 10th was the best he did which was the Super Bowl year.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 5, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

Is Tennessee at the point where they are only going to bring in a Tennessee Man to Right the Ship?

bring back Jim Bob imo

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

I have read a few people say that without a hint of irony.

I could see doing it as an assistant coach or something like that but lol at making him a head coach.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean if you're looking at records alone, sure.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Wait, I'm sorry Jim Bob Cooter is an NFL coordinator?

How the gently caress didn't I know this?

And a pretty good one too! (Detroit)

Did you know Derek Dooley is a coordinator in the NFL too??

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

Iowa hasn't fired a coach since 1978 so I can't play this game

I wonder who has had most head coach firings in this time, if we limit it to P5 teams.

Tennessee has 3, likely soon to be 4.

Johnny Majors was HC in 1978, started in 77' though. Was "forced to resign" in '92 so I'll count that as firing.
Phil Fulmer was there '92-08 and fired for Kiffin
Kiffin left of his own accord (bastard)
Dooley fired in '12
Butch likely won't last the season.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

I would pay good American money for Kiffin just to be in talks with the Vols, just to see if the campus burned down.

Personally I can't imagine them doing it but I also wouldn't care because of him leaving, I don't really give a poo poo about that anymore. I'd care because I don't think he's actually any good as a head coach.

But who knows maybe he learned from papa sabes.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Probably a ton of schools. Ron Turner, Ron Zook, Tim Beckman, Bill Cubit, that's just this century. Koenning might count too but he was just interim for a bowl game.

"A ton of schools" is not the correct answer for "I wonder who has the most"

Randaconda posted:

Has any coach from Saban's tree did really good, though? (Besides Jimbo, obviously)

Kirby lookin pretty good but it's still early on him.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

Dooley- retired to focus on being AD (he was both for decades)

Even though I know this is the good Dooley it still made me twitch

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

There's this from 3 minutes ago:

https://twitter.com/coachjfranklin/status/918813757094223872

:shrug:

I'll just blame Jay Paterno

I don't get what he's trying to say here

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

He's saying people are leaking misinformation to create drama and create doubt for recruits. The list is three reasons that he wouldn't leave Penn State.

The way the initial report is phrased (Penn State officials brace for A&M to make a run) makes me think his source isn't even anybody associated with A&M.

Thanks, I didn't get what the list was because #1 would be enough to make me want to leave.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well that’s why I feel like you fire and hire the new guy ASAP. There’s going to be attrition but the hope is the new guy keeps the kids that are going there because they want to go to the school, not because of any specific coach. Then he also has time to build up his own class.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I woke up to like 40 new posts in this thread and got excited.

gently caress you guys

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/haynesworthiii/status/921075772923809792

:woop:

Looks like Jimmy took some of that Pilot money and is footing the bill for Butch's buyout.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We’re getting Gruden so I dunno who you other losers are getting. We’re going to the super bowl baby!

Wait what

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
R/ockytop at full frothing madness over Gruden. I’ve seen everything from :siren:planes are heading for Tampa:siren: to UT has already signed him (5yr 10mil a year)

They’re gonna be so disappointed

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
FIRE HIM

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Benne posted:

I'm surprised that Chris Petersen isn't getting more run in the rumor mill. Not that I think he'll go anywhere (he won't), but because that seems like the type of pie-in-the-sky name SEC fans chase every year next to Gruden and Chip.

HEY PAWL HOW 'BOUT WE GO GET DAT COACH PETE FROM BOISE OR ALASKA WHEREVER HE IS NOW

Mostly because we don’t sound like that :colbert:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I'm angry thinking about how many of our dumbass fans are going to bite on this.

Obviously Belichick should be our first choice.

I saw this back when it was +300 or whatever and he was still the best odds but he was also at the bottom. Why do they put best odds at the bottom?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
IDK what The Read Optional is but they're reporting that Butch knowingly played a player with a concussion in the Kentucky game last week.

https://thereadoptional.com/source-butch-jones-tennessee-played-player-with-concussion-in-loss-to-kentucky-1497e5b70938

quote:

Butch Jones is done at Tennessee, but things could potentially get messy before he exits Knoxville.
Communications received by The Read Optional show that Tennessee’s staff knowingly played a player with a concussion. Brett Kendrick, the team’s starting right tackle, played at least two quarters of Saturday’s loss against Kentucky with a concussion, per a source with knowledge of the situation.
“He is resting in a dark room. He doesn’t remember anything about the second half of the game”. A text received by The Read Optional reads. “They left him in until the last 22 seconds and only pulled him out because he finally threw up on the sideline.”
Kendrick (#63) was visibly wobbling throughout the second and third quarters. He missed assignments and often appeared unaware that the ball was even snapped.

Sources within the program confirm that Kendrick suffered a concussion and is currently in the concussion protocol. Sources also confirm that Kendrick told a member of the Vols staff that he was feeling woozy. It is unclear when and what Jones knew himself.
Kendrick was not made available to the media after the game, with the school citing a “schedule conflict.” A source confirmed no such schedule conflict existed.
Kendrick was not made available to the media on Monday or Tuesday. He has spoken to the media at least once a week throughout the season prior to the Kentucky game.
Endangering a student-athlete opens up the potential for the school to fire Jones with cause. As we reported earlier today, Jones’ agent Jimmy Sexton is pursuing Jones’ next landing spot. A buyout has been agreed in principle with Tennessee.
This is not the first time a Jones staff has been accused of endangering or mistreating players. In 2015, former Cincinnati kicker John Lloyd accused Jones personally of “hitting” players “multiple times”:
“No surprise Butch Jones “allegedly” struck a Vol football player during practice.” Lloyd wrote on Twitter in 2015, via The Sporting News. “I’ve seen this man hit players multiple times at Cincy lol. That man probably made the video crew delete over three hours of questionable actions at UC. Karma…”
Gridiron Now reported in 2015 that Jones was involved in “physical altercation” with a senior offensive lineman at Tennessee.

There's a couple gifs in the article but I'm not sure what they're trying to show - I'm not the best at reading what an Olineman is supposed to be doing at any given time unless it's really obvious he hosed up. The first one he looks lost but the second he doesn't seem out of it but it's relevant because it was when he was taken out of the game. Kendrick is #63:

Also, SDS is reporting that the buyout is in place and they're looking for somewhere for him to go:

quote:

Many Tennessee fans are waiting anxiously for news that coach Butch Jones has been fired, but that doesn’t seem likely to come before this weekend’s game against Southern Miss.

That doesn’t mean the wheels aren’t turning when it comes to making a change in Knoxville, though, and one report says a change could be coming soon.

According to Trey Wallace of The Read Optional, Jones’s agent, Jimmy Sexton, has been working on a buyout that has reportedly been settled:

https://twitter.com/TreyW_Radio/status/925500923710967808

Where Jones would end up should he be canned by the Vols remains to be seen, but there should be some interest in the Tennessee coach who has led his team to back-to-back nine-win seasons.

It seems as if it’s only a matter of time before Jones is out at Tennessee, but if Tuesday night’s report is true, things could be in motion to make it happen sooner rather than later.

Same guy from The Read Optional tweeted the above and wrote the article about Kendrick. If the concussion thing is true, is that enough to fire Butch with cause? If the buyout/landing place thing is true, it makes sense why this has taken so long - they're looking for someone to split the buyout with them.

Ehud posted:

Why would anyone want Gruden to coach their college football team? I have never understood that.

Big name, "offensive guru". If you think about it for more than a minute it makes less and less sense though. I think he'd be a great recruiter just because of his name but unless he got a really good support staff to help develop players he'll fail. He was terrible at developing young guys while in Tampa.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 1, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I know you're being facetious, but seriously- do high schoolers give a poo poo about Jon Gruden?

He's a popular name, does the QB camp stuff, MNF etc etc. They know who he is from that. They don't know what it was like for him to be a coach - they length of their knowledge is probably "won a super bowl". I can imagine that it would hold a lot of weight for them and he's got a strong personality.

This is me trying to give you an answer on what an AD is thinking, not that I believe any of this. I think kids will know who he is but who knows if they'll give a poo poo.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Still no idea why the #1 odds are at the bottom. Help?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

New conspiracy theory: VFL resignation an inside job intended to provide Tennessee a way to fire Butch with cause.

Literally was just thinking this haha

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Bat posted:

He said the exact words "Man, I miss coaching sometimes" on Sunday and I was instantly laughing at all the Vol fans who probably started chubbing up. He's either dropping hints or trolling UT hardcore.

The money they're going to spend to jettison Butch and hire Gruden is so high (I'm saying 16-18 mil a year for Gruden + assistants) that it just has to fail for the sake of hilarity. As funny as it is for him to dash hopes by not accepting the job, crushing their very spirits by accepting then turning out to be poo poo as a college coach is a thousand times better.

As hard as you are over this, which is really weird, the only people I’ve heard that want this are the guys over at r/ockytop. Even the 247 boards don’t want him.

There’s also no one here that does either.

I personally think it’s all a bunch of BS and we end up with someone that has only been mentioned in passing or someone no one thought of.

I also think UT is building a case to fire butch for cause and shirk the buyout, so there’s money saved.

I absolutely do not believe Gruden will be the guy and I’ll be really disappointed if he is.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not taking it personal, you’re just acting like all vol fans want it to happen and that’s not entirely true. I then offered my opinion on the matter, which probably isn’t far off from what the other guys here think.

Outside of the news outlets running with every story about it and the weirdos at r/ockytop I honestly haven’t heard of a single rational person wanting him there.

e: why the gently caress does my phone keep making this stupid bullshit when I️ type I

• Locked thread