Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Crotch Bat posted:

Not once have I said fire Fuente. I just said I can see he won't be here eventually (and not like a cosmic eventually, I mean probably 4-5 years). His hires and decision-making are not what they should be for a good P5 program like VT and will cause his eventual downfall. I'm not actively campaigning for him to be fired right now, he's clearly done some things well initially but he's not making decisions to move VT forward and when he spins his wheels eventually the tires will deflate and then he'll get removed. It's exactly what happened with Beamer. He won 10 games a year a lot of times in a row, that became his goal each year (he would literally flaunt the 10 win streak as proof things were perfect in Blacksburg) instead of moving the goal posts, he made poor hires, and eventually, well, you saw what happened.

His current on-field results are mostly fine but he's made several poor off-field decisions that will eventually do him in, in my opinion. The only reason I feel so strongly about this is because I saw Frank's end come years and years before it even started and Fuente is doing all the same stuff. This hire is to a point exactly what Beamer would have done and that's not a good thing because Frank had very few good hires over his long career, which is why he doesn't have a coaching tree to speak of either.

It's also an issue because right now Miami is on an enormous upswing, he can't beat GT, and UNC is making hires that if they don't beat him on the field will beat him in recruiting and that's all before crossing the issue that is FSU and Clemson in the other side of the conference. Half the conference is ahead of VT on the field and/or off of it, that simply can't be if he's going to have long-term success.

Yeah, it's entirely true. We're not the premier program in our division anymore, much less our conference, and hiring a guy whose only experience is following Fu around TCU and Memphis as support staff to be a P5 assistant coach is asinine. We whiffed on hiring a coach from a smaller D1 program in North Carolina specifically for his recruiting footprint, and are now left with promoted support staff, with 0 experience or proven talent, as an actual assistant. Our expectations are actually pretty reasonable for the premier program at a football-first school in a talent-rich state with multiple talent rich states around us with no premier football programs of their own: 9-10 wins most years and a shot at the conference championship game. Fuente's offense has been bad for a P5 school, and that's his entire wheelhouse. He hasn't signed a single ACC starting caliber running back yet in three years. He hasn't even been competitive in any big games, though he has won a ton of cupcakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

General Dog posted:

"His record is inflated by cupcakes" is my favorite 'coach is actually bad' argument, as it implies there are P5 coaches out there who play a full slate of 7 wins or better P5 bowl teams.

Our conference games are cupcakes, our OOC were cupcakes. Our best win in his entire tenure is against a 7-6 unranked team. Very impressive. Keep in mind your conference schedule for one year is harder than our OOC for the last 3.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

General Dog posted:

I'm not even saying it's necessarily wrong in your case, but I'd say it's stupid maybe 80% of the time. "What's the best win?" is a much stronger way to get at essentially the same point.

It's also a big point of contention with the fanbase that we've mostly avoided getting the big name teams in the conference in Blacksburg for a while now, so doubly bad competition. Combined number of times FSU, ND, Clemson have played in Blacksburg the last 5 years? Once.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Dilber posted:

To be fair, having our cross division rival be FSU and yours being BC has affected the coastal once or twice.

Matt Ryan tried to do some work there too, the rear end in a top hat. If VT's scheduling were like the VT of old where we were playing a ranked UM, ranked WVU, ranked BC every year, that'd be fine, but as it is we don't often see ranked teams in conference and still have middling records.

• Locked thread