Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It doesn't help Morris' case that Clemson has actually done better since he left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

General Dog posted:

I think a lot of times the midseason firing is to ensure that the coach in question doesn't have the opportunity to rebound/pull off a signature win and make the decision more controversial. I think it was definitely the case with LSU and Miles last year. I also remember A&M canning Fran before the Texas game (which he won as a lame duck).

Correct. Miles was all but fired the year before but then he won the A&M game and the players carried him off he field and you can't fire a guy after that. You're gotta strike while the iron is hot, meaning when things are at their worst, after a humiliating loss.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

General Dog posted:

Graphical guide for SEC coaching vacancies

In the end you just hire Ed Orgeron because he's already moved into the head coach office and had the nameplate changed and nobody wants to deal with the hassle of kicking him out.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

General Dog posted:

Seems like it would take something like $8 million to get him away unless he's just dying to get out. He's making $4.8 million right now, and I'd think Mississippi State would be willing to dig in their pockets and match up until you start approaching Saban numbers, especially if they're a 10 win team this year.

There are reasons other than "more money" why he might want to leave. It's not like he hasn't interviewed for other jobs in the past. Obviously he's open to it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Orgeron "only" makes 3.5 mil a year, which is cheap by SEC standards, but somehow negotiated a 12 million dollar buyout when literally nobody else wanted him. Impressive, really.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

General Dog posted:

There's also that. But that's such a weird place to find yourself- "let's fire this guy before he tricks us into thinking he's not as bad as we think he is now"

It's more "let's fire this guy that we know we want to fire now, when things are at their worst, rather than wait for no obvious reason and risk backlash if we have to fire him after he strings together a few wins."

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

[quote="“General Dog”" post="“477079615”"]
Chip Kelly at LSU would be kind of cool.
[/quote]

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Roasted Donut posted:

I've really enjoyed the strong uptick of lovely 2011 jokes this year

This scandal is so young even Jerry Sandusky wouldn't gently caress it yet. It ain't going away for a long time.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

It’s good that someone is finally willing to stand up for the labor rights of the REAL mistreated and exploited: millionaire college football coaches.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Adun posted:

It’s good that someone is finally willing to stand up for the rights of the REAL mistreated and exploited: big name college football programs that make $150 million in revenue a year on free labor who are too stupid to stop giving big contract extensions and huge buyouts

So actually by paying a bad coach and possible liar a bunch of money for doing nothing it’s actually a win for the athletes. Good point. He’s the real victim here. It’s bad that colleges make a bunch of money on these kids but good when coaches get paid millions to get fired.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Adun posted:

No one would give a poo poo about this death threats thing if UF was 7-1 this year. It seems pretty stupid for everyone to suddenly pretend like they care if a football coach reports random Twitter death threats.

UF signed a contract with an employee and they’re trying to get out of paying him what he’s owed. That’s pretty lovely!

And all the employee had to do make literal millions for doing a bad job and getting fired was not do something that might give the university cause to fire him.

Also, your argument applies with no modification to golden parachutes for lovely fired executives.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

General Dog posted:

With Auburn and LSU left on the schedule, Sumlin really needed to win the Mississippi State game, and he certainly didn't need to get embarrassed by them. 7-5 is looking more likely than 8-4, and that's probably not going to do it.

Well, I think LSU is a worse team that Miss State so you might still get that one

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

Mullen's got really little reason to leave Miss. State and Stricklin is probably happy to be done dealing with him.

His reason would be to go to a school where he can actually get enough talent to win something meaningful. And to not be stuck in Starkville.

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Mullen would be a boring hire but it is hard to tell what his ceiling would be at a program that gets top 10 talent. I would prefer a different style of spread though, because Mullen's offense strikes me as overly dependent on a heroic juggernaut QB.

Mullen has done a pretty good job or finding or developing those guys throughout his career. Nobody was beating down the door for Dak Prescott or Nick Fitzgerald but they turned out pretty good for Mullen.

swickles posted:

Hmm, yes, Urban Meyer, who retired to save his own life, yes, he's going to come coach Ohio State

Urban Meyer is a dirty lying shitbird and I don't think Stoops is. Also, Stoops probably didn't really leave to avoid uncomfortable questions about his mass murdering tight end.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

He is paid $5,000,000 to cruise through a division where nothing matters while Saban is at Bama. He's also a terrible interview. There's more than a few reasons he's been at Starkville for so long.

Your argument was “why would he leave Starkville” and the answer is “he would, and he’s tried in the past, he just hasn’t gotten an offer.”

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

You can hire a good coach without necessarily trying to chase Chip Kelly or whatever the hot name is. Iowa State and Purdue made arguably the best hires of the last two cycles.

Every time the question of who they should hire comes up on the LSU forums 90% of the answers are Jimbo Fisher, Nick Saban, or some of the wall poo poo like Sean Payton. Fans are loving stupid as hell about what a good and also realistic hire is.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Florida has had a bottom quarter offense for like Mac’s entire tenure and he was hired to fix their offense. It’s not stupid to fire him given that he’s shown no indication that he intends to change anything on that front.

The east has been a cripple fight for years, just because Mac was the best cripple for two of them doesn’t mean he was good.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

These guys are paid $4,000,000+ per year. They need to be able to ignore noise like that.

His wife isn’t being paid 4 mil a year to coach football.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is mostly all laughably untrue.

Charley Strong was a really bad coach at Texas. He lost to Kansas, and not because he had to be nice to boosters or go on TV. Being a bad cultural fit doesn’t explain why his teams could play neither offense nor defense.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

A) Saying Mac 'produced much better results' is debatable - he won the east on the merits of a defense he didn't build, and only then because the rest of the division was an actual pile of smoldering rubble. He also got badly boatraced by any good team (save the Ole Miss upset with Grier).
B) Our fan base wants the appearance of competence, and there are plenty that will suffice. Some fans at every school are unreasonable--wanting Mac fired for abject mediocrity and no semblance of improvement is far from unreasonable.

Beating LSU last year was a good win. They were a very different team after the Miles firing.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Texas absolutely would not have won the East. Those Texas teams were dismal.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

General Dog posted:

Bert's going to be a good get for somebody, I have a hard time believing he's just forgotten how to coach. Something is wrong at Arkansas.

What evidence is there that he’s ever been a particularly good head coach? Wisconsin looked that same under him as it looks under everyone and he has like one decent year at Arkansas.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

What part of them needing literal goddamn miracles to beat FSU and GT, scraping by hapless UNC and lovely Cuse and loving STEAMROLLING VT isn't making sense?

Iowa State has more big wins in one season than VT has in its entire history.

He’s coached one and one half seasons for you.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

:lol: what part of Fuente makes you do anything but remember Beamer's last lovely years? I mean be 100% honest, sit down and ask yourself where he is making the difference that will beat a coach like Dabo in the ACCCG. This isn't the snoozefest ACC of Beamer's day.

3 big games, 3 big failures. Only reasonably close game was when Jerod Evans carried the entire team.

Wouldn't use us as anything resembling a yard stick for success since we have no big win to speak of, you beat a nothing.

“We aren’t competing with the reigning national champions and losers of only two games in the last two years with our new head coach, WHAT IS HE EVEN DOING HERE?!”

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

And Iowa State is traditionally dogshit and VT is traditionally good but I'll trade in buckets of losses for not being humiliated every single time they play a big game.

Like I said, ISU has more top 5 wins in one season than VT has in 120 years of football. That's what is unacceptable to me and I'm sorry if that offends you.

I like when people say things are unacceptable even when they have no choice but to accept them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

So before this season VT had as many top 5 wins as Iowa State did, just so we're clear. That's totally acceptable, though, right?

You clearly didn't watch the game, you just saw the score and said "OK" and moved on. Miracles needed to beat a 2 win FSU or a .500 GT but them manhandling a so-called top 15 VT is totally fine because "Miami is pretty good". At no point should I hold my staff accountable for the total lack of preparation shown by the team though.

Iowa literally lost to Northwestern, literally. Scored 10 points. They scored 55 against Ohio State. Football is weird and high variance and sometimes a bad matchup or two leads to one team just walking away from another pretty good team.

Calm down and go to sleep.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Vitalis Jackson posted:

It's very unwise (in Nebraska's case, anyway) to allow the fan base and boosters to make hiring and firing decisions, though. They are basically too emotionally invested in the Cornhuskers to be able to separate their self identity from the results of football games, and they are a big part of why NU has become such a shipwreck since Osborne's last year of coaching. Personally, I hope that the NU administration is intelligent and professional enough to look long-term and not at the rest of the season. Riley has installed a recruiting system that had been largely ignored for years; there is a reason why so many freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and sophomores have replaced juniors and seniors this year. I didn't know Riley when he was hired, but I support him now. I think he needs two more years to turn things around on this team. It was a disaster after Pelini was fired and that disgruntled coach actively campaigned against NU when he left. It was a carnage.

Riley's biggest mistake, IMHO, is that he tried to "make nice" with Pelini's remaining recruits when he took over. He should have just ripped off the Band-Aid in his first year. Instead, he waited until he had a couple of season's recruits and then tried to install a completely new offense and defense with players that had no exposure.

Hi Mike. Sorry about your pending unemployment, you seem like a nice dude.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm sure changing SEC rules to hire a coach will work out just as well for Florida as changing the SEC rules so they could play Malik Zaire did

Hiring a good and formerly very successful coach would probably work out well for Florida, yes.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Chip will be fine evaluating talent in college, just like the last time he evaluated talent in college.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

OSU is pretty clearly a better job, i think. Much better facilities and investment from the school, by far the best program in a fertile recruiting ground, easier path to the playoff, etc.

OSU also notched a win in the “did your head coach fake a terminal heart condition to get out of coaching for you so he could go here instead?” column.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I’m sure both programs were just so incensed at a coach negotiating that they said “thanks but no thanks best possible hire we could make, we’re moving on.”

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

The OC of a mediocre defensive team

Truly an inspiring hire

Like, I get that its Oregon State, but I feel like they could do better

Edit: Looks like he had a good run at Eastern Washington as HC

He was really good at EWU. They beat Washington State last year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Well, I guess not every AD can be smart enough to hire Ed Orgeron instead of Tom Herman.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Boo, I want Campbell to stay at ISU, it’s more entertaining when they’re good enough to upset Oklahoma.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

iospace posted:

Here's some fun facts for you:

2 out of the 3 post-Alvarez coaches are out of jobs :laffo:

Wisconsin hasn’t had any post-Alvarez coaches.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Lol that Tennessee fans were like “Peterson might come here, there’s interest there,” when they were getting Schiano all along.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ehud posted:

what's the downside on Mullen? I honestly haven't followed MSU that much

Worst I can say is he’s generally a good offensive playcaller, but he gets too cute sometimes and makes some fairly dumb coaching decisions. His system is also really dependent on having a QB who can both run and throw well, but he seems really good at developing those guys, so he should be fine. Biggest issue with that at Florida is if he makes guys look good too early they’ll leave for the draft and he will constantly be grooming a young QB instead of working with an experienced one, which is what he’s had during his best seasons at MSU.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

General Dog posted:

Yeah, nobody's been beating down OSU's about the matter for the past year

No one at the Ohio State University protesting a guy who enabled child molestation? Hard to imagine why...

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I’m unhappy about Mullen to Florida, but at least if he’s going to beat us now it’ll be at a real school and not a trumped up farm academy.

Also, lol at the MSU fans who thought Mullen wasn’t going to leave because they paid him a middle of the road SEC salary and he really totally like Starkville.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

He was bailed out by Mike Evans every other pass attempt.

This meme is stupid as hell. He lead the SEC in rushing in 2012 while also throwing for 3700 yards with a 68% completion percentage. He had 47 total TDs. That same year Mike Evans had 1100 yards and 5 TDs.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Well yea but we are also talking about a guy losing a $20 million dollar contract, this is beyond merely the Internet and radio gossiping about him being a shithead (He probably is, If I had to guess). Seems like an appropriate situation to actually care about evidentiary standards.

Why? Nobody is entitled to a college coaching job. It’s a symbolic position. You’re the figurehead for the college in many respects. Wanting someone with a squeaky clean image is understandable. Tennessee is at fault here for not doing their due diligence and testing the waters before announcing.

And it’s not like the allegations against Schiano are a complete fabrication. He was working for Sandusky at Penn State during a time when Sandusky was routinely raping boys in the football facilities. It’s not really far fetched to believe that he knew something given how much of an open secret it seemed to be.

Even if he didn’t, wanting to avoid the taint of “potential child rape enabler” running your football program is a legitimate reason to not make a hire. I can’t prove that James Franklin covered up a rape at Vanderbilt but i still wouldn’t want him running my football program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

General Dog posted:

Every tweet saying something definite about Jimbo one way or another has turned out to be false, but I'd say the further we get into the week the more likely it's going to happen. He's going to stick around to finish the regular season at FSU, but if A&M had gotten a definite "no" they'd already have moved on.

Eh, we went through this same dance with Jimbo and LSU last year and there are a bunch of people on tigerdroppings who still think he was totally in the bag until <thing> happened at the last minute. Until he’s standing at a podium talking about how excited he is to take orders from a dog general and watch men grab their nuts for motivation it’s all just smoke.

• Locked thread