Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

lol

its not the cheating that sinks him, but his dick

the SEC way, Bobby Petrino style

quote:

n July 13 — one day after Nutt filed a federal lawsuit against Ole Miss alleging that the school violated the terms of its severance agreement — Nutt’s attorney, Thomas Mars, sent an e-mail to Lee Tyner, the school’s general counsel, referencing a “phone call Coach Freeze made that would be highly embarrassing for all of you and extremely difficult to explain.”

holy poo poo, Houston Nutt's attorney ratted out Freeze? 1. How did they have that info? 2. Isn't that illegal, isn't that like textbook blackmail?

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Dead Man Walking.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

The football version of the Peter Principle. Its crazy how many poo poo tier coaches never get forced out of the sport.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Raku posted:

i would suppose we're assuming sumlin is already dead

Sumlin's dead, Jim.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Unfortunately Butch is probably a dead man after they get stomped by Georgia this week.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Heh I forgot about the Falcons thing

:same: totally forgot those great laughs.

Also I don't know why we are discussing Petrino ITT, there is no reason to fire him and he hasn't done anything bad during his second stint at Louisville.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Will Les Miles get a job this year? Especially after how bad LSU has cratered without him, some teams might looks twice at him. Also there will probably be a poo poo-ton of openings this year.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Lane Kiffin 2 Tennessee, Urbz 2 Florida, Nick Saban 2 Michigan State, Les Miles 2 LSU, Houston Nutt 2 Arkansas, Coach O 2 Ole Miss.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

*shakes magic eight ball*

You get Dennis franchione, im so sorry. God bless.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Seems like the one did enough damage.

At some point I want to earn a PhD, but it certainly won't be from an SEC school. I'm not moving back to that part of the country ever. I do hope to continue my trend of attending schools with orange as a primary color tho.

Get your PhD at Bama

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

The Coaching Carousel is a zero-sum game, the Carousel giveth and the Carousel taketh away.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

nachos posted:

I’m seeing all kinds of rumors about Mac being out soon at Florida. Please be true.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Get that rich Orange Baron from Yeehaw Junction to back up a dump truck of money to Chip's house.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

General Dog posted:

Yeah I'm sure everybody will be hunky dory when they're losing every game 56-35 instead of 28-10.

Honestly yeah. At least the losses would be entertaining football rather than boring 5 TDs through 8 games or whatever we have now.

2007 8-4 Florida is a great example. Awesome offense with Tebow's Heisman season with a green, lovely defense. Sure it was frustrating that the defense held the team back, but I enjoyed watching the team that year even with the mediocre record. I'd rather have 2007 Florida not even winning the east, but being fun to watch, than 2015-2016 Florida winning the east but like watching paint dry.

And I'm not too worried I guess about the defense since Florida has had ten years of pretty great DC hires:

Charlie Strong (Texas, Louisville, USF HC)
Greg Mattison (DC Ravens, Michigan)
Teryl Austin (Lions DC)
Dan Quinn (Atlanta Falcons HC)
DJ Durkin (Maryland HC)
Geoff Collins (Temple HC)

Ehud posted:

I want to hire

...uh...

lol

Chip Kelly baby.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

I guess I'm okay with Frost but can somebody reassure me that it isn't another potential Mac? Good OC has great offense at major program and then does well as HC at a mid-major.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

drat Jim McElwain was the god drat gift that keeps on giving for Colorado State. CSU made out like bandits.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

LLCoolJD posted:

If there's a coach out there who's able to seriously contend with Bama/Ohio State/Clemson, he's not easy to spot. This is one of those years (like most years) where the ceiling on new hire quality might cap out a little lower. Which would still be a welcome improvement for Florida, mind you.

Florida pays top dollar and has access to top-10 recruiting classes each year. I don't know what you guys are smoking if you think there are any other top programs without similar pressures.

I think a major thing in Florida's favor is that it will be the best job available for this hiring cycle.

And yeah I don't want any more Saban assistants or retreads.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Plus Florida has already had multiple opportunities to hire Strong, if they wanted him they would have already had him (and probably fired him by now).

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

fyallm posted:

With comments like this from Dan Mullen's wife I highly doubt he is coming back to Florida...

“The former school where we were at before, we won championships there, won practically every single game we played for four years there,” Megan Mullen said. “It wasn’t if we won or lost. It was if we didn’t score 43 points or more, I was going to the grocery store in Orlando where I worked with the Golf Channel and I was driving the groceries back to Gainesville, because it was that bad.”

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/former-florida-coach-dan-mullens-wife-discusses-difficulty-coaching-gainesville

~~~SEC... It just means more.~~~

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

vyst posted:

Can we fire Shannon too?

Fire them all into the Sun, God will know his own.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Dilber posted:

Shannon gonna be flyin' around makin' plays.

If you ever wondered what being a cane fan was like, now you know.

My favorite Randy Shannon memory was a UF win over Miami where Urbz called for a meaningless garbage time field goal and then Randy Shannon proceeded to spend his postgame press conference whining about RUTS.

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I’d keep him as LB Coach/Co-Dc

Isn't his appeal that he's a great recruiter right? I wouldn't mind having him still around as a Co-DC or position coach if he can recruit south Florida.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Poco posted:

i sincerely hope the razorbacks lose today so there can be no doubt that bielema is gone at the end of the year. this is a pathetic effort. I guess that raises the question of the hell would even want to coach at Arkansas?

Maybe Paul Chryst wants to get away from Barry Alvarez also.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Ehud posted:

also lol

McMahon falling out of his chair dot gif @ that Spurdog quote

iospace posted:

Dunno.

*looks in the direction of Oregon*

This also

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

wernox posted:

no more I.

Good. Good.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

I don't see why Butch wouldn't be fine at a G5 school. He did decent enough at Cincy and Central Michigan, he would probably be sufficient for say a Ball State or Kent State or other similar G5 school in a midwest hellscape town.

Edit: Looking back at his record, I'm surprised Tennessee hired him, what was the deal with that year's carousel? Seems like he did fine, but not so stellar that I would hand him the keys to a top-20 job.

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 13, 2017

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

LLCoolJD posted:

Chip Kelly, to play devil's advocate, was a college coach for just four years, and he took over a program that was already doing well (even before his arrival as OC).

Agreed, but I think a major counterpoint is how Oregon cratered without him.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Does sexton represent frost or melon?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Real Name Grover posted:

I agree, but has he even been mentioned much in Tennessee? Everyone seems fixated on other candidates. Speaking of which, Tom Shatel of the OWH is going all in

Lol this holier than thou dude actually thinks Nebraska doesn't have bag men:

quote:

Let me counter with this: The SEC is full of shady deals and dealers who push the envelope to the limit and beyond. Doing whatever it takes. I can’t see Frost wanting to be around that.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Report: SEC would not stop Florida from hiring Chip Kelly.

quote:

The Florida-based lawyer who provided an eye-opening update on Chip Kelly on Monday dropped another interesting nugget Tuesday.

Speaking on WJOX 94.5 FM, Darren Heitner said he spoke to a source who said there’s “some sort of verbal commitment” that there will be no issue for Florida in trying to hire Chip Kelly. Earlier, a report surfaced that suggested an SEC bylaw could prevent any school within the conference from hiring the former Oregon and NFL coach.

This guy seems to be all over lately. Has he called anything else besides Mac out?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

It just seems like it's that one guy who is the source of all the chip Kelly rumors though.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

We are now in the obnoxious flight tracker phase of the coaching hunt as Gator boards now posting a flight from Gainesville to Connecticut today apparently on a booster 's plane.

vyst posted:

Much like your posting.

Boom. Headshot.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Chip Kelly is my husbandfu.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

My dick will explode if Florida gets Chip or Frost while Tennessee gets Gruden. It's too much I cant handle all that goodness.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Ehud posted:

yeah today I woke up and now I think it's a good idea

Yeah get on the Chip Train, don't be a b1tch.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Ralker posted:

-me as an Eagles fan about five years ago

"I want to get off Mr Kelly's wild ride"

-Eagle's fans, circa 2015, probably

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Thats the same stuff going on in the Florida coaching search; tons of small time Twitter dudes posting unsubstantiated poo poo to get buzz and pick up followers. According to twitter, Chip Kelly was going to get announced at a press conference as head coach every day last week.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Ty Willingham to a SEC East school other than Florida.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Chip was interviewed this morning and he didn't deny any of the Florida stuff :getin:

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

He should bring his dudes for Xs and Os but I think keeping some continuity with peppering in a few current guys is fine. Urbz kept Charlie Strong from Zook's staff when he took over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Encouraging a new coach to consider doing this is fine, the new coach deciding to do this is fine. Mandating that the new coach has to keep guys is not fine.

Agreed.

If Florida whiffs on Kelly and Frost then I will go into full meltdown.

• Locked thread