Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Tekne posted:

The tater in Eureka seemed to have a revelation when he recalled that they called the entity an eikon instead of a primal. Isn't Odin such an entity along with the Warring Triad?

Yup. By the definition Unukalhai uses, Odin's not just a simple Primal, but a true eikon. What differentiates eikons from Primals is still flimsy, but the one thing we do know is that eikons are more powerful than Primals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Isn't eikon just the Garlean world for primal?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Philonius posted:

Isn't eikon just the Garlean world for primal?

Technically it's the allagan word for primal, but Garlemald wants to be Allag 2.0, ideally without the self-destructing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"Primals cannot be suffered to live!" - Garlemald

"Let's model ourselves after the people who decided to use Primals as batteries and use their exact same methods and machinery." - Garlemald

The fact that Xande made a pact with THE DAMNED makes me wonder if Varis is going to do the same and become a reference to Mateus taking over Hell.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yoshida's done a good job but it's getting blatantly stagnant.

It's also about 200k active subscribers ahead of where Heavensward was at around the same point in the patch cycle, and is likely producing a lot more in profits from Mogstation purchases. Businesses, by their very nature, are conservative institutions until they're forced to be otherwise. Neither Yoshida nor any theoretical replacement is going to rock the boat by introducing dramatic changes to the formula that's continuing to make them money.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I don't think the issue is yoship, but rather Komoto keeping large swathes of the game anchored firmly in game design ideas from 15 years ago. He'd be hard to displace but imo that would be the personnel change that would make the biggest difference, if we're going to talk about things that players have exactly zero input or influence over.

Yoship isn't going anywhere unless he's promoted up to a position that prevents him from having any time for FFXIV. He's a rock star inside SQEX since he basically saved the company from bankruptcy. The formula for updates may be getting a bit stale but it's hard to argue he's been doing a bad job given the results.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I can't believe we still have TWO more eureka zones to slog through. Each one probably worse than the last

I also only realized last night that you need 31 total light grind crystals to finish out a pagos weapon. I'm legit impressed that pagos has 3 different garbage grinds at once all in one singular piece of terrible content

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Leofish posted:

I've just found myself with maybe one or two of a bunch of little things like threads or raw mats. Not always enough to make something but I've got RPG potion syndrome with it. "I might need it later."

I suppose just letting that go it the key.

Right now I'm trying to find some kind of lucrative craft to make consistently while enjoying the ability to meld my own stuff. I'm still having trouble consistently HQing the current high level craftables, like i350 gear. Could be a rotation thing. I've got WVR, ALC, and GSM specialties, but I may switch ALC out for something else.

With 1676/1708/493 before matcha hq and cp hq medicine can craft 35 and 70 durability 3* hq crafts with little to no hq mat requirements.

as for making money, go find a hole in the mb and fill it. I was making crimson ciders and matchas over the weekend and I noticed that cumin seeds weren't on the MB, I think I sold ~350k's worth at 3500+ per mat. there's a bunch of furniture that has cheap mats, so that's an avenue. making levekits is not a bad route either; i was selling hq linen shirts for ~35k a pop.

That said, we are on the cusp of a new patch so having lots of raw mats on hand is going to be a solid investment. Competing at the pointy end of the high end gear market in a patch lull is really rough; it took me 3 weeks to sell a HQ sledge that started at 1.1 million and eventually sold for 700k after changing the price twice a day.

Phone fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 7, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Never giving a poo poo about relics has never served me better than in the era of Eureka

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

Never giving a poo poo about relics has never served me better than in the era of Eureka

:same:

Between that and not caring about housing, my brain is really saving me some trouble

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Blockhouse posted:

I was pumped to finally get a neato glowing weapon for my DRK, but SE can gently caress right off with another light grind, let alone one inside Eureka. Think I'll just keep waiting for them to release crafted glowy versions of the Sophic weapons and call it a day...

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Unless they nerf the hell out of the pagos grinds, the next two eureka zones are probably going to run into some real population issues. Plenty of people I think eventually just knocked out anemos but pagos is just too much bullshit for most people

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Am i the only person who thinks the games updates being predictable both in content and frequency is a good thing?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Farg posted:

Am i the only person who thinks the games updates being predictable both in content and frequency is a good thing?

No, I'm with you. I don't see a problem with knowing what's coming as long as what's coming is, like, good.

If all of the new content was bad or mediocre I could understand this disappointment but aside from Eureka, Skalla, and Return to Ivalice's story bits I think everything in SB has been great.

Now "I would like more of everything" is definitely a complaint I understand far more than "it's predictable".

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Yeah exactly, patch 5.3 will have the second part of the 8 man raid, some new dungeoms, new msq, etc. But it will probably be of good quality so that's great!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So there is some new speculation happening based on the patch trailer.

If you couldn’t make out the dialog in the background, in English it is:

“That way... sorrow... history must be changed. Ahead looms light, expunging all form and life. Twin dooms only you can forestall... a new you. Throw wide the gates so that we may pass. Ahead looms a calamity.”

Could this mean time travel?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Reraise the Metal

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

“That way... sorrow... history must be changed. Ahead looms light, expunging all form and life. Twin dooms only you can forestall... a new you. Throw wide the gates so that we may pass. Ahead looms a calamity.”

That sounds exactly like Elidibus' argument that the WoL is doing too much good and will doom the world as a result. I have no idea who the speaker is but I'd not be surprised if it's Elidibus-Zenos offering some sort of pact to make a badness happen.

My guess is convincing Varis to let them turn him into the Emperor of Hell.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 7, 2018

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Mordiceius posted:

I thought that could be WoD, possibly returning or at least giving some warning.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I can't believe we still have TWO more eureka zones to slog through. Each one probably worse than the last

I also only realized last night that you need 31 total light grind crystals to finish out a pagos weapon. I'm legit impressed that pagos has 3 different garbage grinds at once all in one singular piece of terrible content

And you can't even start the light grind in earnest until 25. :haw:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If you watch the Japanese 4.4 trailer (and either know the Japanese voice acting or look up a video on it) it becomes pretty obvious that the spooky voice is Zenos

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

If you watch the Japanese 4.4 trailer (and either know the Japanese voice acting or look up a video on it) it becomes pretty obvious that the spooky voice is Zenos

Clearly my guess is correct then. :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Blockhouse posted:

Now "I would like more of everything" is definitely a complaint I understand far more than "it's predictable".

The predictable argument is mostly born from being a bitter vet who's been with the game long enough that the fancy splendor of stuff is wearing thin and you're just seeing the same old same old framework underneath.

I was tearing up in joy at the splendor of the Chaos/Omega fights so while I am a veteran of the game I am certainly not bitter enough to find that awesome laser lightshows are no longer awesome :colbert:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

If there's going to be time travel, it makes sense it'd be in the patch where Chaos is a boss.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Farg posted:

It's an MMO. You're in the overwhelming majority. So am I.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Farg posted:

Predictable content = bad.
Predictable frequency = very good.

You know when to come back but you also know exactly what you're coming back to

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I'm 100% fine with things like "the next update will have an Alliance Raid" as long as they're varying up the story, setting, mechanics etc.

I also like the idea of mixing some new ideas, just not when said new ideas are actually really old ideas which we moved on from for a reason.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Depends whether you mean predictable in terms of fundamental gameplay, or predictable in terms of "story/quests are predictable/boring." The former is only bad if you dislike the gameplay, but otherwise it's a "dont fix what's not broken" situation.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Unpredictable content got us Diadem and Verminion and Diadem again and two flavors of Eureka

If it looks like a duck...

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I just hit 50 on my black mage, how should I be using Flare?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I just hit 50 on my black mage, how should I be using Flare?

If memory serves your aoe rotation is now T4, F3, Flare, Convert, Flare, ether, Flare, transpose, repeat.

Fire 2 sucks poo poo.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
IIRC finish an Astral phase with it, ideally Swiftcast and on multiple targets

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I’m having some audio issues. The launcher doesn’t play music, and the background music misses soft notes or cuts out completely. I thought it might be a problem with my PS4 or my TV monitor, but it only seems to apply to FFXIV. I got no idea how to troubleshoot this.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Rainuwastaken posted:

If memory serves your aoe rotation is now T4, F3, Flare, Convert, Flare, ether, Flare, transpose, repeat.

Fire 2 sucks poo poo.

isk posted:

IIRC finish an Astral phase with it, ideally Swiftcast and on multiple targets

Ethers are part of my rotation? I never would have guessed.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
If you want to get wild, yes. You can do perfectly well without them by using the last bit of your MP in Astral on Flare.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

DrakePegasus posted:

I’m having some audio issues. The launcher doesn’t play music, and the background music misses soft notes or cuts out completely. I thought it might be a problem with my PS4 or my TV monitor, but it only seems to apply to FFXIV. I got no idea how to troubleshoot this.

was it working fine before they changed how the files are stored on PS4? Maybe things got corrupted and you need to verify the files(Assuming you can do that on ps4).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

It lets you squeeze out an extra flare every 3 minutes (or whatever the cool down on ethers is) but honestly it’s not a big deal if you forget. Still, unless you’re using your ethers up on other classes, no reason not to use the suckers.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Gally posted:

was it working fine before they changed how the files are stored on PS4? Maybe things got corrupted and you need to verify the files(Assuming you can do that on ps4).

It was. I’ll see what I can do about that when I get home. My sis thought I should uninstall and reinstall it, but I’ll try anything else first because that’ll take forever.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I crafted a couple hundred of them a few months back and just smash the button whenever it's available, because dropping four consecutive flares and a foul on a trash pack is delightful.

Using a single target Flare at the end of your Astral Fire section is dicey because you're waiting on a mana tick afterwards; it's technically higher damage than Fire 1 but it's so clunky I wouldn't recommend it. Against trash packs, Flare is your entire Astral Fire section. Even with the whole depreciating damage on multiple targets thing, Flare is so strong that it makes Fire 2 completely worthless. Fire 2 was usable until they made Transpose have an 8 second cooldown, but nowadays you can just drop nukes and refresh your thunder dots all day long.

This only gets more flare-heavy when you eventually hit 68 and can spend umbral hearts to stop flare from draining your entire MP pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

The real BLM answer on when to flare is: as often as possible