Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

xeria posted:

Things seemed okay in the first couple SB dungeons (I was even able to multi-pull trash packs in the lv63 dungeon with no real health concerns), but stuff has gotten real dicey for me in the lv65/lv67 dungeons, to the point where I asked one of my healer buddies if something happened with SCH healing throughput in SB because each time I did 65 and 67 dungeons, I had a SCH healer and it genuinely felt like they just could not keep up with the damage output on either trash packs or bosses.

Scholars are more than capable of keeping up with the damage output in the dungeons, they just have to actually use all their tools now. Emergency Measures and Dissapation now are something worth using instead of icing on a healing cake. A lot of Scholars are trying to play them exactly the way you could in HW and getting punched for it because SB expects you to be using more of your tools. It's absolutely a lot more work than it used to be but as a Scholar I've never had any trouble keeping up with healing unless my teammates are critically failing mechanics repeatedly (which is when healing should get outpaced)

Emergency Measures is on a 30s cooldown now and so should be used a lot more regularly than most scholars are using it. By not using it they're effectively turfing their healing ability. Likewise a lot of scholars are not manually controlling Eos and losing out on good regens. It's also worth remembering that Scholar shield can be incredibly hefty without actually showing up as health so a lot of the time you may be low but have a lot more effective health than it looks like, doubly so when you count their new ability that is a heal-below-50%. In general a major thing is that Scholars now should be using all their tools instead of DPSing while Eos does all the work/DPSing and occasionally using lustrate.

But seriously, if you are having trouble healing a Scholar, Emergencies Measures. It has a super-low cooldown now and is a huge-rear end heal. I've not done WHM or AST yet to say what their gimmicks are but I'm willing to bet "press the buttons you previously ignored" is relevant there.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Adlos cost 1800MP and aetherflow was nerfed. SCHs cannot sustain that healing throughput.

To emphasize: aetherflow returns less MP than an adlo. Emergency tactics-> adlos will run you dry fast. Energy drain actually makes matters worse because you're giving up a free heal to recover less mana than the equivalent physicks, let alone adlos.

I've done all the content so I don't actually know what you mean by that. If you mean they can't sustain it forever and ever then yes, they can't. They can more than sustain it throughout the entirety of any dungeon or boss fight though. If you're going "Well, you can't use EM on cooldown every single time" then you're right but you don't need to. You have multiple healing options and using the right one for the right situation gives you an incredible amount of sustain. It's a lot more work than it was in HW and there are areas that can (and probably will) rightly get buffed but with smart management you're not actually going to run completely dry.

Like the "It's IMPOSSIBLE to heal as a Scholar, you literally can't do it" poo poo is dumb. The class probably needs a buff but I've done every dungeon in the game, including megapulls, and not run dry and I'm not Pro Tier Unstoppable Scholarman.

Ryanbomber posted:

Emergency Tactics doesn't increase your healing because you are not mitigating more damage with it. A 300 heal and a 300 shield mitigates the same amount of damage as a 600 heal (if anything, it's worse because the shield component ignores max HP). The only time it's really useful is if you want to Adlo twice in a row for some reason (good luck with that after the Adlo nerf), you're running with another Scholar and think that your Galvanizes will trip over each other, or there is a mechanic that actually cares about HP total.

also the cooldown was always 30s :v:

I am assuming that you are keeping your shields up and working around that, yes. If you're not doing that as a Scholar then you're already doing something wrong. Again, I am not saying "using EM on every cooldown" because that's silly. It is however a way to replenish HP when you're low on other options which a lot of people overlook.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 23, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

That's because the same throughput is significantly easier as AST and WHM. WHM deal more damage too.

That is not the same as "Scholars literally can not do it, it's impossible" though. I've no doubts that WHM is easier and deals more personal damage. (Though Scholar getting Chain Strategium is very nice in trials and in boss fights.) However there's a difference between "it's easier" and "It can't be done." Scholar involves a lot of meter management and direct pet control but I also feel that is what Scholar should be. I don't argue it needs a buff (probably to Bane) but buffing it also could very very easily push it into the territory of "too good at everything" even if it's mechanically harder than the other two. I don't think its healing needs a buff at all, though if it does I would target its MP costs before anything else.

nuru posted:

Dedicated Scholar healing is fine, especially if you bring out Eos (ugh) but it isn't particularly fun in dungeons compared to the other healers.

But man, making Emergency Tactics the hill to die on is pretty strange.

I'm not? "Hey, actually use Emergency Tactics and Dissipation sometime" isn't the same as going "and it's the solution to EVERY PROBLEM."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 23, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nuru posted:

Your tone felt that way. But it's just funny in general because of how emergency tactics actually works mechanically.

Take the aetherflow requirement from bane and excog and maybe call it a day. That would effectively give us a free lustrate per minute, better mana regen (since aetherflow stacks are effective mana), and reduce the awful feeling of only having bane and not being able to use it. I bet it would feel pretty good.

The issue with removing the Aetherflow requirements from those is that they clearly want you to be spending Aetherflow, not saving it, in order to power up the Aetherpact mechanic. I don't think the Aetherpact mechanic is rewarding enough right now, especially since it comes at 70 and thus is only used in a handful of dungeons and trials so far. Excog's really unsatisfying right now because as near as I can tell its was designed entirely with this in mind. (Which makes it dumb you get it at 62.) I

Honestly I find Aetherpact in general super-underwhelming for a capstone skill with its own meter and everything. It just doesn't feel very good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nuru posted:

They're both mediocre but I don't expect them to change them at all. Our best case is maybe that quickening gets a higher proc rate and the bar grows by fifteen rather than ten. I'm not expecting much more realistically.

I wouldn't be tremendously shocked to see Excog get a potency boost because as it stands "50 more potency but on a longer cooldown than Lustrate" is a bit much for a skill whose only purpose seems to give you an option to not sit on an Aetherstack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, honestly, I saw people complaining about the main plot earlier and by and large I understand why people were cooler on it than HW but I have to admit I forgave a lot because this was basically Suikoden 6: Final Fantasy XIV, almost bluntly so. They did a good job with the character beats and the general "liberation" tone and the feeling that you're building up an army that I forgave the actual core plot being pretty basic. It scratched my itch for a Suikoden game better than 3 of the last 4 Suikoden games so I'll excuse a lot for that. I was genuinely pleased for the entire expansion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Suikoden 5 was pretty good. though 2 is king and probably the best JRPG ever made. I got some serious Grasslands vibes from the Steppe too.

Suikoden 5 was the good one I was thinking of there. (I was counting the DS and PSP Suikodens.)

By and large though it wasn't very morally complex and the villain was Just Luca Blight but honestly that isn't a bad thing. After an entire expansion of Everything Is lovely it was really satisfying. I also admit though that I fully expect either the 4.x plots or the next expansion to be The Garleans And Ascians gently caress Everything Right In The Face because as it stands now things are almost too good in Eorzea and that can't last.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

General in FFXIV you're going to want to be DPSing unless you need to heal. When and where you can DPS will be something you have to figure out with practice but all of the classes get an 'emergency button' that is an instant relatively high potency heal among other things so you have a lot of leeway unless you're doing cutting-edge content.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skaw posted:

I agree that Stormblood has been better than Heavensward storywise, but aside from the regular dungeon boss music, I think it's worse in that regard. I like Thordans theme a lot more than The Royal Manageries as far as base expansion finale battle themes go. Ala Mhigo itself is a trillion times better than the ARF however.

Lakshmi's theme owns though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UHD posted:

Alisaie is my new favorite NPC :allears:

I want a mission line that is nothing but Alisaie and Krile dunking on everyone they talk to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Also can I just say again how loving amazing the last boss of the 67 dungeon is, and can I have his weapon please stares meaningfully at avatar

A tiny version of him is the rare minion drop for that dungeon. I got it on my first run. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I did all of ARR as an Arcanist/Summoner and my dude would pull out a goddamned book.

Honestly even if I end up switching to Black Mage or another job at some point, I'll probably do all the story stuff as Red Mage because, well, pulling out a sweet sword and looking like a swashbuckler is way cooler from a story perspective. Really I just have an easier time believing that the Warrior of Light is a Red Mage, from a story perspective, than I do some of the other jobs I enjoy.

Also Contre Sixte is the coolest spell animation in the whole game. Just stab your sword into the ground and do a kick-jump off of it, that's rad as gently caress.

The funniest thing about playing a Scholar is When Lyse asks you to spar you rush at her face with your book drawn. I can only assume the off-screen fight involved me flailing at her with my book until she got sad and left.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Electronaut posted:

So, I saddled up to this for the first time on Friday when the expansion dropped. I've played the trial since then, hit 35 today with a dragoon and hit the stopping point for XP. What's the best way for buying the game and expansion(s)(HW...?)? I'm in the US if that matters.

Also, I've noticed the DPS takes forever to DF queue thing at low levels. Should I shift over to a tank to grind out the MSQ? Any other things I should know?

Steam or a non-steam entity if you don't like the idea of having to buy every expansion via Steam.

DPS will always have extremely long queues because there are a lot more of them than healers or tanks. If you want short queues either get a tank/healer friend to help you or play one of those roles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UHD posted:

Doma music remix is pretty fuckin sweet

Does anyone have a link to a youtube of it by any chance?

Harrow posted:

Since jump potions auto-complete all your job quests up to 60, you can't get the AF gear package that the 60 job quest now gives, right?

You can get it from the Calamity Salvager I think, the same as if you discarded it? Someone told me that but I'm not sure and can't really test it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 24, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cool Bear posted:

Yeah I'm for real and just shaking my head that this is impossible to understand for some.

Is there a story written by Americans that can fit the same allegory that I describe? Of being attacked by an outside force for this specific kind of reason?

Why do enemies attack America in American made video games? Warcraft Fel Demons want power? Terrorists want to implement Sharia law? The Borg finds nonviolent assimilation to be inefficient?

This Japanese game has a different origin.

You're not actually making an good arguments, just drawing the thinnest possible parallels and expecting everyone to agree with you based off a surface reading. It's not actually a good analysis and that is why everyone is mocking you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Look.

FFXIV is obviously an allegory for how mankind is tainted by both religion and patriotic zeal. It is a game where the central theme is that gods are worthless and while country is important it is more important to bond with other nations than to put yourself above the others. Of course the central theme is that religion is evil and must be destroyed in all its forms, even seemingly benevolent ones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pissdude posted:

Lyse didn't really do anything the entire expansion, she just took credit from other characters for some mysterious reason. She didn't fight or defeat any enemies, she didn't organize anything (Raubahn, Pipin, that Gyr Abanian old guy, Alisae, Gosetsu, Yugiri, and Alphinaud all did WAY more actual planning and strategy making than Lyse did) or do much of anything to great effect at all. She was just there in cutscenes and people treated her with way more importance than she actually earned/deserved. Even loving Thancred did more than she did.

Lyse fights and defeats a bunch of enemies. She doesn't do it in cutscenes but she's part of a boatload of duties and events and is established as doing a bunch of poo poo similar to the WoL.

That said she's basically a True Rune away from being a Suikoden protagonist. The WoL is more of one but the WoL isn't the WoL.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It must be really humiliating for you to get owned that hard, I'm sorry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zenos is a good villain because he manages to be a contrast with the Warrior of Light regardless of who or how you play the Warrior of Light. He's an absurdly strong ridiculously powerful rear end in a top hat whose eventual end goal is just to fight stronger and stronger things, which is exactly what the WoL does. (And Stormblood plays up the characterization by having the WoL hype as hell to get into a good fight in addition to giving you a bunch of dialogue options that further stress that.) His whole "we're not so different, you and I" talk is fair because the dude unironically isn't that different from the WoL except that he's playing for the opposite time. He probably got as strong as he did by spending twenty hours grinding Krile Extreme and Y'sholta Savage to get the rock-rear end gear to kick rear end in a cutscene. They even explain that as soon as he went to Doma (i.e: When Stormblood was released) he instantly job-changed to Samurai and started playing that exclusively which is why he uses katanas. He's a more accurate rival fight than the Warriors of Darkness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So, uh, something I just realized:

In the original version of FF6, Cyan's name was Kaien

His son? Shun.

Just pointing that out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Minrad posted:

his theme is also cyan's theme, and they both live in doma castle, which is built over water, before the imperials threw them out

Yeah, the Cyan's Theme/Doma thing was I thought the full depth of the cut until I realized the added joke there. I'm impressed at how far they went for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stinger spoilers: A couple of friends of mine have theorized that It's Gaius behind inhabited behind the mask, which would explain why he's so shocked by it and it would be someone the audience would recognize.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Doing Lakshimi and Susano EX with randos while waiting for the rest of my static to hit 70 is really reminding me how grossly incompetent the vast majority of players are. Neither of these fights are challenging at all!

Susano has a ton of people screw up the cloud thing which is annoying as all hell. Also people who attack the wrong rock despite it being marked and me saying which rock I'm in in chat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What materia are people melding for scholar now?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm leaning on combinations of vit and piety until we figure out out much healing and unavoidable damage is going. Healer substats are poo poo anyways.

That seems pretty logical honestly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEE LOOK AT HIM!

... what is this wonderful thing and how do I get it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UHD posted:

All jobs are cool and good.

(I don't play SCH or WAR - yet - but I have no reason to believe they're not capable, they're just not the flavor of the month anymore)

I have finished every bit of content in game on Scholar without much trouble. It's not as good as it should be but it's entirely playable including on big pulls and EX primals.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

You failed to mention just how awesome some of the dungeon music is. Dungeon 4 might be my favorite in the game.

Hell, the expansion's music is really fantastic across the board - all the trials, most zones (Lochs in particular)- I can't get the Kugane leitmotif out of my head.

I asked this before but does anyone have a link to Hein's Theme/the FF6 Doma remix?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

orcane posted:

You can make them three times overpowered in bare numbers but I still won't like playing SB SCH (same for SMN), this argument is dumb.

Criticism is not invalid because "numbers are good" and "you can beat content with it".

The issue isn't that people are saying it's boring, it is that people keep repeatedly saying it literally can't do content/can't keep up with pulls/etc. Which is genuinely 100% wrong. (Doubly so if Paladins are involved which is to be fair largely on Paladins. I did Fist with an actually geared Paladin yesterday and it was like playing HW again, I barely had to heal them and was mostly DPSing.) Nothing's wrong with disliking the changes because you don't like how they play but the "it can't be done" crowd is weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryanbomber posted:

I think I've actually seen more people complaining about SCHs whining about being terrible at healing than I have actually seen SCHs whining about being terrible at healing. Most SCHs just mourn the loss of Bane with the occasional salty and vague "CLASS SUX NOW".

Yeah, there's a lot ot complain about with Scholar but a lot of it is satisfaction.

The Bane nerf is 100% nonsense. There's no good excuse for it, especially since like WHM gets frigging Aero 3 for much less effort and cost.
Aetherpact is basically worthless. The actual healing it does isn't enough for feeling good at level 70 content and basically the only thing it does is give you a mild bit of flexibility for focused healing if you're occupied with another mechanic but even then it isn't enough to be significant while it drains really quickly. It also has an incredibly long animation/windup and breaks really easily.
On a similar note Excog is a pile of crap. A situational Lustrate with a long cooldown in exchange for +50 potency is dumb. It could have a niche if it was "absurdly large precast emergency heal" but as it stands the only reason to cast it is to blow through a lingering Aetherflow stack so you can refresh, and the Aetherpact mechanic being worthless makes it somewhat more tempting to just hold that stack for an actual worthwhile skill. Even if you want to blow an Aetherflow stack Energy Drain at least replenishes a pittance of mana which matters more. Excog either needs to not fall off or be larger.
Selene went from the suboptimal choice to entirely worthless. There is no content where you'd ever want to bring Selene at all. Having an on-demand silence and a 3% buff doesn't make up for the fact that Eos is required now.

Honestly a lot of this can be fixed with numbers or mind adjustments. Selene needs an actual rework though. It was clearly designed for a much older version of the game. (I also feel like Selene should have a different Atherpact than Eos does, like a combat buff or something.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nuru posted:

Neat, I think we agreed.

ed: @imp I mean

Yeah, I think we're more or less on the same page, I saw your post after I wrote mine and I pretty much agree with everything you wrote. i didn't even mention Quickened Aether because, yeah, it's entirely meaningless and unsatisfying and I honestly forget it exists.]

Edit: Also I'm leveling WHM and while I enjoy Scholar's playstyle more it's pretty fair to say that getting Thin Air at level 62 is an entirely different level of satisfaction from getting Excog. Holy Spam For Days/massively limited mana issues vs one of the most yawn skills in the game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 26, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

orcane posted:

Good job using a strawman and picking the dumbest complaints for your "SCH is awesome everyone else is wrong" retorts I guess? I mean, you also have that other laundry list so why not go by that instead?

... Because that's the complaint I see most often and the one people seem to be focusing on and the one which occasionally comes up in-game? "Scholar has design problems" vs "Scholar is incapable of doing content" is a very different discussion because the latter is the kind of thing that makes people who don't know the class think it's true.

I don't give a poo poo if someone dislikes the Scholar changes at all and wouldn't disagree with them. I do give a poo poo about the "it can't keep up with pulls/can't heal enough to do content" crowd because people who believe them do actually take it to heart. I had a tank when I was running Roulette and got Doma who was going crazy slow and told me midway through it was because he heard Scholars couldn't heal enough for it and didn't want a wipe. (Once I told him to go faster and not worry it went fine but y'know.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

orcane posted:

Yeah arguing what unrelated pubbies think vs. what's being discussed by cool and good people is not weird at all.

People in this thread have said that.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This final boss queue is the longest queue for content I've had by far.

it doesn't inspire confidence.

It's unironically a harder fight than the EX Primals, though entirely doable if people don't act dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Even the classes thing doesn't make any sense to me. It's a 'patch' on a problem but we already have skill-altering traits. Just have Bane Mastery or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

macfam posted:

Wait SCH should have the original bane and SMN should keep the nerfed version? The dps should have the less damaging move? Also how many enemies do you need to be hitting with tri-bind for it to be a dps gain? You should still use ruin IV whenever it is available even against multiple enemies right?

SCH has lower-level DoTs and no other AoE options. Of the two who should get a stronger Bane it's Scholar because of how their moveset is designed. While DPSes should have the most damage that doesn't always translate to "most damaging move" because their have moves that synergize for greater sustained damage. (Thus the DP*S* part.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pussy Cartel posted:

I really love RDM, but I can't shake the feeling that my DPS is kinda poo poo. Doesn't help that I played SMN and BLM up until now.

From what people have said their floor DPS is one of the highest but their ceiling DPS is like 4th or 5th. On the other hand it's not like that'll matter too much right now and they can save bad runs with their revives.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

A WHM outdamages all that by pressing aero3 and assize.

The Bane nerf is so dumb when Aero 3 exists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Responding to the discussion a few pages back, but if there isn't a Bardam's Mettle (Hard) where the bosses are Cirina, Sadu, and Magnai at some point during this expansion I will loving riot

I'm looking forward to Doma Castle (Hard) where you fight through underwater Doma ruins filled with evil ghosts or something. The boss should be Gogo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shy posted:

I beat extreme Lakshmi a couple times today!
Not exactly as easy as I was led to believe but I had tons of fun and three bliss totems, need two more.

Mind if I ask what was giving you trouble?

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything i'm just curious. I actually found Shmiex easier than the regular version because you can nullify SO many of its mechanics that all you really have to do is basic AoE dodging and the gimmick with the adds. (And unsurprisingly any run I've seen fail has been at the adds.) I'm wondering if there's something more I'm missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

the dicey bit of lakshmi ex for me is the third (?) chanchala pattern, the one where she puts down two aoe stack markers that inflict nasty bleeds unless you pop vril, and nobody bothers to pop vril for it in pf

Honestly I think you can reliably beat her just by popping Vril every time she does an attack while in super-darkness mode except maybe the very first pattern. (And since I play a healer you can in fact do it by popping it every attack she does in super darkness mode during that because healers need to in order to prevent the slow/bleed from her targeted AoE.)