Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sesq posted:

So, what's the best way to level from 50 to 60 these days? I've been away for a while and ready to jump into MAX FASHION. Will there be any crafting catchup mechanics, by any chance?

The easiest way is to do the MSQ. Besides that do Roulettes and Palace of the Dead.

Crafting Catchup Methods are Leves, Beast Tribe quests (Ixal for up to 50, Moogles up to 60), and the fact that gear doesn't hugely matter for crafters up until the level cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The worst thing I know of that Mr.Happy did was try and cheat at Fanfest a couple of years back. They had a "Do a 2.X EX Primal at i90!" as a challenge. Apparently Mr. Happy got that particular challenge and tried to cheat by not actually equipping the i90 and instead staying in the default i100 gear on the toon they give you.

Still not even close to a reason to call him a human being.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Ok, that's definitely the song I was expecting to hear :swoon:

someone please :filez:

I recall someone saying it was actually in the game's filed ever since Deltascape dropped, which is why people were guessing who the Deltascape V4S boss was.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blockhouse posted:

I like Hingashi's twist of no, it's actually real world feudal japan-ish with rampant corruption in a government that only exists because people are terrified of going back to the sengoku era not some kind of magic idealized version

Same. I rather liked Hingashi being presented as actual historical Japan, IE super isolationist. Like Hingashi is full-on 1800s Sakoku Japan with Kugane being basically Dejima (even in rough geographic location). If there's a twist to Hingashi is that it's a stand-in for Historical Japan with all the warts, and us weirdos from Heir's Ear aren't from it and are being treated as such.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I think the only class remotely close to interesting below level 40 or 50 might be Pugilist. By level 30 you actually have a couple of different combo chains available to you and you actually have a sense of the class' core mechanics.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

DanZX posted:

That, I want that holy poo poo

The problem in FF14 is not finding good looking armor, it's choosing which set of good looking armor to wear.

Ever wanted to dress up like a Metal Gear Rising character in your fantasy MMO?

FF14 is there for you.

(Not depicted is that the spear generates a magical energy dragon when you pull it out to hit things with it)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

edit: what the hell did krile and y'shtola do to this person jesus christ

Seconding this question. Y'shtola is one of the ones I've seen that even the smarky people who hate the story kind of like. Usually people complain out the ears about Alphinaud and Thancred and Minfilia and give Y'shtola a pass.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

A Spider Covets posted:

Lol. What's going on here?

@8bit yeah I agree. I was so dismayed by her role overall, but maybe they'll do something more with it in future patches? It just seems odd, like they handled Alphinaud's development in HW so much better. I loved that when he was a dumbass, he paid for it and we watched him grow as a person.

Ali is still the star of SB for me atm, although Hien was awesome, too. I love Yotsuyu as well, I hope things turn out OK for her. It'd be great if she actually didn't join our side, but got a chance to live as a normal person. I doubt they'll do that, since it's not the kind of storyline that could be readily tied to dungeon content, but it'd make me happy.

They could do something like Yda and Papalymo at the resistance with her. Gotetsu and Yotsuyu being on the periphery and only popping later as an expansion lead-in after it turns out they were washed up on Hingashi or Garlemald or wherever the next expansion will be

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

cheetah7071 posted:

They nerfed the vault shortly into heavensward

I genuinely do not remember that.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Fat Chocobos get even better in Heavensward.

Minor spoilers on that on I guess.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Fister Roboto posted:

Ivalice gear will almost certainly be 330. Void Ark gear was 200, which was the same as unupgraded esoteric gear.

24-player raid gear has consistently been 10 item levels lower than the highest level of tomestone gear since Labyrinth of the Ancients. It went i80, i100, 120, i200, i230, i260 so it's very safe to bet Ivalice will be i330.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

meiram posted:

Learned about /gpose controls from this thread this week, and tonight I figured out two things: (1) your character and companions/pets will look at the camera and (2) there are picnic benches on the moon gates in Doma.

Well yeah, where else are the imperials going to eat lunch?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The wonderful thing about Omega is that 7 of the next 8 bosses can be just about anything. The rules in place and the precedent introduced in Deltascape are such that Omega could bring in just about any character SE owns to be a boss to fight.

My random goofy guess for the inevitable Omegascape raid is that O9-12 will all be different versions of Omega. Imagine a raid where the bosses are Warmech, Omega Weapon, Omega MK12, and then actual Omega.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SwissArmyDruid posted:

As someone who has not played FFXII, does this mean that the bosses we'll be seeing are the ones associated with FFXII?

I was hoping we'd finally get a body to associate with the names Duma, Zebbeb, Sel, Cheraub and some other ones I can't remember at the moment, but this is fine too.

Impossible to say as of yet but its sadly unlikely.

The trailer for Rabanastre showed three bosses, two of them are recognizably Hashmal and Mateus from FF12. Including Mateus suggests they're using the FF12 cycle of Lucavi, Mateus being the Pisces demon instead of FFT's listing of Leviathan.

On the other hand the third boss they show is completely new, and more interestingly has the same magical circle that appears for its bow showy attack as appears during summon attacks in FF12 and in the trailer for Hashmal and Mateus when they're winding up. There's an outside chance that the chariot riding boss could actually be one of the unseen Lucavi (Rofochece the Sagittarius Lucavi?), but it could also be a completely original doofus to kill.

October 10th will tell.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

More black bars! Yay!

The Anti-tempering thing may not actually be a new thing, it seemed to me that Lakshmi attempted to actively temper everyone around her with a wave of energy and you blocked it just by standing in front of it because you're immune.

Tempering in general seems to come in active and passive flavor. The very first time Ifrit does it he does it by sending a giant wave of flame, but later on they talk about how Ramuh tempers Sylphs by his mere presence without really meaning to and in the 3.4 Titan stuff there's a lot of concern that the one Kobold Kid had been tempered by merely being near Titan when he was summoned. At the same time Regula warns his men to run away from Zurvan when he attempts to temper them, as though this is a battle tactic Zurvan could consciously take, and Bahamut is described as having actively tempered Nael and Phoenix. It's possible also that it varies by Primal, Odin explicitly tempers (severs) anyone who touches its real body but basically nobody else. So again, I think Lakshmi fired a weaponized tempering wave and you dissipated the energy by proximity

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Thundarr posted:

Quickly everyone, hug the angry axe maniac!

Way ahead of you.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Schneider Heim posted:

Also, I have heard Exdeath the final boss of FFV is in the game, what is the in-universe explanation for it? Does it mean other characters from other FFs will show up in the future?

The in universe explanation for Exdeath is that in the world of FFXIV he's the villain of a fairy tale and a robot with reality powers brought him to life to fight you for science.

And FFXIV has LOTS of references to previous games, coming both in the more common "This is this character reinterpreted for the FF14 world" and the less common "This is literally the person from the other games". 14 has included the Crystal Tower from FF3 including Xande and the Cloud of Darkness, The Ancient Library from FF5, The Warring Triad from FF6, Diabolos from FF8, tons of boss fights against summons including ones you wouldn't expect, and a subquest revolving around Gilgamesh, Ultros, Typhon, and other less serious characters. That's not including a lot of other lesser references like fighting random lesser things like those weird eyeball enemies from FF6 or the big dreadnought robots from FF13.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Thatim posted:

okay lets do this

played this years ago for a bit, and started a new trial. My animemans is ready for some conjuring

edit: woa i can jump now. That wasnt possible at first, right?

I don't believe Jumping was possible in 1.0, no.

Incidentally open up your spellbook, and check the description of jumping under "General actions". And all of your out there should do it as well, it's cute.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

They've been kicking around "The Minstrel's Ballad: Garlean 2 Magitek Boogaloo" since Heavensward. I think they specifically said they were seriously considering it but decided to do Thordan EX instead, so there is a hope for it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

All wearing Posing Ranger costumes I hope?

God I hope so.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Bolow posted:

So I finally finished level DRK to 70. So uh Myste is definitely some fragment of my psyche, I'm assuming regret? Good story, I liked the 65 quest in particular

You're likely correct. If you haven't read them already the journal entries are fun for the SB quests. This is both because Fray/Esteem is still writing them but also because it implies you sort of knew all along what was happening and went along with it because you actually did help a couple of people out.

Incidentally as somebody pointed out a while ago Myste is meant to really strongly evoke both Haurchefant and Ysayle, so while they didn't really fully spell out everything that happened it's not hard to put it together.

I think I genuinely liked the SB ones better than the 30-50 DRK quests, and a lot of that is because of how it builds on the previous storylines and is weirdly positive.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

vOv posted:

Speaking of O4S, Raid of the Dorks got our first kill :toot:

Our current plan is to do 7 more clears to get everyone weapons and the mounts, kill Shinryu Ex in our spare time, and then... idk.

My suggestion is get your face pushed in in 4.2 when the next raid comes out and you have to kill Dark Lich or something.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm still holding out hope that Omega 3 are all just different versions of Omega. Do a raid tier where the bosses are Warmech, Omega Weapon from 8, Omega Mark 12, and then Omega Prime from FF5.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Mr. Nice! posted:

With FFVI you do run into the problem that a lot of it's iconic bosses are already in the game. Chadernook, Wrexsoul, the three dream stooges, the guardian, and the warring triad tower are pretty much the only things outside of just basically people in the game that you fight or espers that appear in almost all games. I don't know if they can really do a four fight omega wing for FFVI quite as easily as they could do IV or VII just because those have enough unique bosses left that haven't been used.

Chadarnook is already halfway in the game. The woman that appears in the battle is Lakshmi, who Relm was painting a portrait of.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kashuno posted:

I'm cool with throwbacks can the entire next expac be a throwback to the Final Fantasy Unlimited anime where I have to rank up a new gathering class to gather powerful Soil and summon whoever with the Arcane gun?

I want the 5.0 mechanic revamp for Machinists to be this.

Also Omega 2 being the four fiends would be a lot of fun, especially if the savage only bonus fight was against Geryon from FF4DS.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Rhymenoserous posted:

You can buy the af gear for gil at the calamity salvager.

EDIT: Had AF1 at any rate. I don't remember if it had AF2, I may have had to hunt for that.

Calamity salvagers don't have AF2 gear since AF2 gear was originally tomestone gear and not gained from quests.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kashuno posted:

I am just learning AST now but is there a reason the "Undraw" action exists? If the timer for using my drawn card is going to restart again anyway, why would I put the card back in?

It was a way around a problem that arose with 4.0 that doesn't exist anymore. To wit when 4.0 launched and they brought in Job Gauges for everyone AST cards went from being represented by a self-buff to only appearing on your Job Gauge. Because you could no longer right click the card buffs to get rid of them they made "Undraw" an action so you could draw again more quickly. After Feedback they also added actions that also work to clear Royal Road and Spread (when you get those), useful in managing the level 70 AST ability they added. Then in 4.1, I think, they went back to making AST cards appear as buffs so it would be easier to coordinate cards with other ASTs as well let your party members know what cards you were holding, but they kept Undraw et. al. around because I guess why not?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SwissArmyDruid posted:

For the people who play using controllers. That's who.

Fair cop.

As stupid as it sounds I honestly forget that plenty of people play this with controllers.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Schneider Heim posted:

I see! Is there a lot of job-specific story content aside from the job change questline? Does each job have its own distinct story separate from the main plot?

What I love above the current WoW expansion is that each class has their own story and they all get a distinct base of operations (well the Priest and Paladin classes share a base, but yeah).

All of them. They're even important to the development of the job. Job quests from 30-60 and the one at 70 all provide abilities. The ones are 50/60/70 also provide a (usually) job specific armor set to give you a leg up on the content at that level.

There's also class specific questlines for all the crafting and gathering classes as well.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Same with Ramuh. And, to an extent, Leviathan. I think.

Ramuh seems to somewhat regret the fact his mere proximity turns Sylphs into xenophobic extremists who constantly try and stir things up.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dwesa posted:

but I think Garleans have technology required for fast long-distance communication and transportation, unlike Romans.

They do. They have trains and I think everyone has Linkshells. And if they don't have linkshells for some reason they have Magitek walky-talkies 100%.

As for the Garleans I think the fact that they aren't united is what's really going to end up leading to their downfall. I think Gaius to date has been the guy closest to the party line with Garlemald in terms of subjugation and assimilation. Hydra was close, but he was enough of a pragmatist that he went his own way towards the end. Considering the emperor's scorched earth policy I get the sense that if Hydra had survived and gone back to Garlemald he'd have gotten in trouble for teaming with you, even though joining on the world's most proficient godslayer is probably a wise idea when one needs to slay some gods.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what exactly was the hard thing about Alexander Savage that made it so terrible? As sombody that's only going back through normal and seeing it unsyched to get it unlocked for raid roulette coming out.

Alexander Savage up through Midas was ridiculously overtuned.

A3S dealt monstrous amounts of damage and was so directly hard many raid statics exploded on impact. A4S was not only overtuned with a brutal DPS requirement and Nisi and Royal Pentacle which were mechanics so hatefully obnoxious it was easier to just intentionally kill half your party and rez them rather than try them normally. A6S also blew up a lot of raid statics by being incredibly nastily harsh (and as a bonus it shipped with a bug that could render it unclearable). A8S had almost all the nasty mechanics of A6S plus a bunch more, and was yet again hatefully overtuned.

I'm given to understand A9-12S were actually pretty tolerable, but the first two wings of Alexander were just way too hard in not very fun ways. Omega's difficulty curve has been much better Alexander's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

As someone who will hopefully be well enough to play Shadowbringers after missing out on Stormblood after 4.2, I'm gonna say I'm kind of eager to get back to "Samurai, but more."