Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I am going to blood all the storms.

Goodbye to this snowy place.

Hello to Fantasy Japan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I like that the first PLD job quest in SB gives a reason why there was no gladiatorial fight when leveling GLD. "Oh, we just didn't do it for 100 years." Rhalgr help me if I don't get to stand on the bloodsands this time!

Tiger Millionaire posted:

While I saw about an equal amount of hype for both jobs pre launch, now that I'm in its nothing but RDM (a band wagon I have also jumped onto)

Hows SAM for the people on it?

I haven't tried SAM yet, but I'm still seeing a lot of them, and a goodly number in the 60+ zones already. My RDM is at a meagre 51, because I haven't been leveling it that fast. I should do more roulettes with goons, but I've always been in the middle of other things. :P

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Athropos posted:

Been doing hella pvp to level as Red Mage. Does anyone know if the 180 pvp gear can be glamourable without ranks now?

I'm pretty sure all PvP gear is just glamour gear now. Definitely the new stuff is.

By the way, if anyone hasn't seen it, head to Wovles' Den and check out the Stormblood Dark Knight PvP weapon.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Mazed posted:

I really, really want to be good at Red Mage.

I really wish I would stop accidentally hitting Jolt when Dualcast is up.

I really hate that the only indicator of it is a tiny-rear end buff icon when they specifically said that they want to do away with reliance on tracking tiny-rear end buff icons.

Is this just a matter of keeping going until you've got the muscle memory down or what?

Red Mage is all about rhythm, so yeah, you just need to practice. Always try to have a veraero or verthunder ready to fire after every hard cast of anything, and really only use jolt if you're dry on verstone or verfire procs.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Givin posted:

Reminds me of old EQ Primal Velium Club monk days. S&M bat.

Just a good ol' fashioned thumpin' stick.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is MCHs peloton animation the same flute thing that BRD has? Pretty hilarious if so

No, Machinists just sort of flex or something. No flute, 2/10 worst expansion ever.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

The Paladin oath gauge seems kinda tacked on, but after doing the first new dungeon, I think I get the point of it. Bosses don't really attack enough to generate the blocks needed to get your Sheltron and Interventions up quickly in Shield Oath, so it encourages you to switch to Sword to at least get the auto-attack points. I don't know if later bosses become much more painful in DPS stance, but I found I was able to survive in my admittedly-not-fully-augmented-shire rear end and use my cooldowns a bit more, besides. I used to be nervous to switch out of Shield if I didn't know the dungeon, but now it doesn't feel so bad.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Line Feed posted:

Don't talk poo poo about Thieves' Cant. :colbert:

They call them stabbers, but your attacks are all slashes.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

screech on the beach posted:

Dumb question but I accidentally picked the wrong job when creating my character, there's no reason to reroll right? Just level up to 10 and pick a new job right?

The only thing that would change is if you wanted a job that starts in a different town. Your early quests will be a little different in Ul'Dah compared to Gridania for example, but once you have access to the armory system you can change jobs at any time after doing a quick unlock quests at their respective guilds.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/877194344003887106

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

It's harder to judge individual performance as a tank, which turns a lot of people off of it. Or at least I think it's less fulfilling. Like as a DPS I can always tighten my rotation or try for bigger numbers, but the only satisfaction I get off tanking is pulling increasingly bigger packs and surviving, but that's at least 50% on the healer too.

I love just facing down the boss. For me, tanking isn't about numbers or statistics, but the thrill of having the boss facing me and only me.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Palace of the Dead is where I am and Palace of the Dead is where I shall remain.

RIP Excal.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Oh. I haven't actually done the PVP yet (tried to last night, got 90kd) so I just assumed the roulette worked like all the others.

So it sounds like shatter is the one to grind and to ignore the other two then? I know nothing about how any of these game modes work so I look forward to making my team salty

I'll also join the chorus of people digging the PVP changes. RDM has like, one button that actually costs mana, it looks like?

The roulette will likely dump you into shatter and that's the one most people do. The other two are okay.

Fields of Glory (Shatter) is all about killing ice, as they randomly pop up across the map.

Seal Rock (Seize) is a king of the hill thing where you capture and guard nodes for points, but the nodes expire so you constantly need to find new ones.

I've only done Borderlands Ruins (Secure) once, but if I remember right there's an element of base capture + there's a killing drones that pop up thing to get points.

In the meantime, you kill other players to rob them of points as well.

Seal Rock also has winning achievements that grant some gear.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 21, 2017

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

While you were partying, I studied The Blade.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

Found the perfect sam glam

Glamurai

I've already put it on Eorzea Collection. https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/glamour/i-studied-the-blade

(when do we get a striking dummy that's just a few milk crates with some water bottles on top?)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Machinist, I think, still has one of the highest skill caps in the game. It's a tough job to master, and I was never very good at it. I could never get the wildfire rhythm down at 60 and I'm a bit intimidated by the heat mechanic. I haven't tried the class much since SB launched. I like it for glamours because guns are cool, but I don't think I'd subject anyone else to my subpar machining in a raid or primal fight.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Leveling question: is there some trick to avoiding mobs with Bad Breath? Even when I'm clearly outside the telegraph, it never fails to hit me. And if it hits me, I seem to be screwed.

You can usually stun them, so you can try that. Melee DPS and tanks get a stun via a role action. Otherwise, try to be prepared to move a second or two earlier. In my experience, malboros usually use bad breath after a couple of GCDs.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I'm playing a conjurer, I don't have a stun. I'll try preemptively moving. Died four times so far to this stupid thing. >_>

Fluid Aura can usually knock them away and interrupt the cast, so you have that option too. Running through, like motoh said, also works. Do you have your chocobo companion? You can get the bird to eat the bad breath if you let it get some threat over you. Makes the battle a bit slower, but you should probably only need to deal with one bad breath before you can kill the thing.

(I guess if you say Conjurer you probably don't have a chocobo on second thought, seeing as that's a level 30 thing.)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Level 20, actually. I've been using it as a mount. Don't know anything about using it for combat.

Still, I've hit level 30 in the free trial and picked up white mage, so I'm calling it a wrap on the trial. Thank you for all the advice, everyone. I'll probably buy the game in earnest before long.

Oh yeah, I meant the quest that unlocks the combat ability, which is a sidequest at level 30. You'll get your bird to serve as an rudimentary, AI-controlled battle pet. You can't command it or anything, but you can level it up and give it healer, tank, or DPS skills. Tanking 'bo isn't very good, because it doesn't really generate a lot of enmity and never enough to keep up with a well-played player class, but it can still help out in some of the tougher fights. Having it heal you is useful for solo stuff.

Shy posted:

Level 30 quest called 'my feisty little chocobo' in camp tranquil (south shroud)

Yeah, this is it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Ah well. Thanks for the advice, folks.

One other question: as a conjurer, I got a quest at level 30 that ended up awarding a unicorn mount. Does every class get a unicorn, or is it a class-specific thing?

Tanks get mounts as achievement rewards for doing a buttload of roulettes and/or endgame full party duties.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I very nearly said "god, just gently caress already" out loud at one point, yeah

I had that same comment about Ysayle and Estinien.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

If they make a chemist healer in a new expansion, they should be like the X-2 alchemists.

I know lots of people aren't super keen on FFX-2 but come on, who wouldn't want to shoot potions at people?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Note Block posted:

This belongs in a museum.

No, that's this one. https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/glamour/it-belongs-in-a-museum

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

"I never did my rez spell quest" and "I never did the water totem quest" were things in WoW for a good while.

The tank stance quests for Warriors was like level 10 and people didn't have it.

Kurieg posted:

Or the druid that can't rez you because prior to Cataclysm their only rez was the instant cast one, usable in combat, on a 20 minute cooldown.

Didn't you also need a reagent for it?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Classic WoW, much like pre-ARR FFXIV is a wild ride to read about and really makes me question how much people really want things like official classic servers and such.

I honestly think it's just a pining for days gone by. Vanilla WoW had a lot of problems but it was better than anything that was available at the time and it created this community that I think people miss the most. A lot of people were also teenagers or early into college when it came out over a decade ago and had the free time to put up with the stuff the game made you do, like be mountless until level 40, or go on extensive, cross-continental quests. It was unlike anything I had ever played in my life up to that point, so it was really exciting, and I made some friends in the game that were fun to do content with, but I can see now why the design choices then would never work in today's market.

FFXIV fits my free time, such as it is, and my play style so much more. All games are timesinks, but with WoW there are so many classes and they all do interesting things, and so many cool races with neat lore, but, up until recently if you wanted to try something else, you had to start all over with nothing. Cross-character mounts weren't a thing, level boosts weren't a thing, you were level 1 with no items. Sure, you could mail yourself some gold and crafted stuff but you wouldn't be progressing on your main. With XIV I can switch to whatever I feel like playing at the time and switch back, but still have the story done. I like that a lot better. It was the main thing that led me to this game.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Glagha posted:

I've decided that Gladiator was a mistake. Dark Knight should have been a class, and the job should have been Paladin. I demand my Final Fantasy 4 lore. Fight me Yoshi-P.

The Red Mage LB3 should have been called W. Meteo.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

So two people own a whole series of identical houses in an entire housing ward?

I mean, if you want to recreate the hellscape of suburban living, I suppose that's your dream. You do you. :shrug:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

vOv posted:

I don't get it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/29/us-woman-shoots-boyfriend-dead-youtube-stunt-boost-online-profile/

Givin posted:

Why do people rage/care about winning and losing in PVP still? The exp is the same either way, except the pvp exp which doesn't matter. The gear is useless except for glamour. If I could send comms to the team the beat our tits off in 10 mins or less at frontlines I would. I guess if you were still going for the mounts it might be a pisser.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never get the remaining gold and black Garo horses. I am pretty convinced that I am somehow the angel of death because every team I am on, be it in frontlines or the feast, always loses. I need 15 feast wins for the gold horse and 30 wins of either to get the black one, and I doubt that'll ever happen. I still do the daily roulette for XP and I'll do feast if it's in WT and maybe get the last of the stickers I need with second chance points that way, but I'm convinced I'll never get the wins I need.

I still try, though.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Xun posted:

What are the items between the pillars adding texture to the walls? I might want to steal this idea :v:

Those look like Manor Bookshelves.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The full Sirensong caster set, undyed is... interesting.

That's just the wind silk set. You can get that super cheap on the MB because it drops from Palace of the Dead accursed hoard bags, and with so many people running palace again lately to level up there's a new glut of cheap glams.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Today, I LLDRed into Toto-Rak. Normally, this would be a bummer, but I looked up to notice I had three friends with no job stones. A quick glance at their gear showed me each one of them was new, new, new. All of them about the level for the dungeon, all of them in a smattering of white and pink leveling gear.

The tank stopped to read every poster and we took a wrong turn at one point, clearing a whole hallway of mobs I didn't even know existed. :kimchi:

My only complaint is that they never spoke. None of them said a word, despite attempts to engage, so we just silently completed the dungeon after wiping twice on the final boss. I switched diversion for drain and managed to help win the day with erase, and mana shift. Drain allowed me to stay alive, while the other two let me clear poisons on the healer and feed her MP. No comms, but I told them to enjoy the game and left.

Also, it let me hit level 60 on RDM, so now my glamour is nearly complete!

I like the Sabotender rapier, but I'm thinking the ultimate in luxury would be the upgraded Shiva weapon, so I'll have to try for that soon.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Harrow posted:

I regret not focusing enough on my GC rank when I played back in 2.0 days because now I want to do hunts and I'm pretty sure I can't unlock them because I'm still second corporal.

I'm gonna focus on finishing Stormblood MSQ first, but then I guess I'll need to find the fastest way to get GC seals.

Vadoc posted:

Fates also give seals, but yeah, the higher the ilvl of an item, the more seals you get for for turning them in. There's also GC hunts that you've probably ignored and have to complete for certain ranks.

If you do PvP and have wolf marks to burn you can grab some of the Heavensward gear and turn that into seals, too. The items are unique so you can't just buy like 10 shields or whatever, but I think the best way to go is buy a belt or ring for every suffix, since those tend to be the cheapest armor items.

I did it with 180 weapons once, I think, and it's about 1000 seals per.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 3, 2017

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Time does not pass while people are talking, in anime or in anime MMOs

Shirogane housing isn't open yet, are you sure you're looking in the right wards? also the FC tags change constantly, DGKK is <<dung>> right now and TPT is <<ADTRW>>, idk what PBC is currently

TPT is back to being ĞEULAğ

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Question for PS4 users: If the power goes out do you always have to redownload the game? I'm pretty sure my system was completely off, not in rest mode, when I went to bed last night. We lost power briefly, but when I turned on the PS4 today I got a notice about not being shut down properly and now I have to download 23 gigs worth of data.

I'm just wondering, for the future, is this a regular thing? It's possible the PS4 was in rest mode, but we usually turn it off completely at night. Anyone else experience this?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

nuru posted:

Make all the bathing suits raid only. The outrage would be incredible.

:bisonyes:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/FFXIV_Kelly/status/786615741659295745

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

If you're gonna go gaudy, go all the way

Hello ridiculously fabulous red mage buddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Fridurmus posted:

I liked the 60-70 quests for the Gladiator callback but given that there's a loving war you'd think we would've gone and done some protecting the weak or something.

The very first Samurai quest puts you in the coliseum right away. You have to wait like 63 levels as a Gladiator before you can do that poo poo.