Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Quest duties are still borked, just got punted from the lvl 56 SAM one.

This is approaching WoD levels (which was bad btw, the first few evenings were full of downtime because their generous estimates were still off).

Sinteres posted:

Yeah it seems like they may have actually done what they said they were trying not to do and started getting people booted from every other instance by fixing the Raubahn instance. Everyone in my party got booted trying to do a frontline, and now I got booted the second my queue popped for the first stormblood dungeon, and the world queue is up to 1300.

This is -really great- since I've been going back and forth based on what's not working. Definitely disappointed coming off of HW's smooth launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

WoD huh.

Lemme tell you, son.

Oh I know. We're a ways off from geometry duplication, item/level rollbacks, and stuck characters requiring GM intervention to log in, but there's plenty of gamestoppers.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It makes this doubly concerning that they do back-to-back instances though. You'd think this would have been caught in testing surely

Only so much that can be tested and modeled. Nothing beats a live environment, especially with millions of concurrent users. While their structure should support scalable/cloud server capacity, even that can be vulnerable to DDoSes. Either way, "testing" only gets so far.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

I feel like even a one-day beta test would have figured this out.

Maybe, but -

1) SE doesn't really do extensive external betas, at least the FFXIV team doesn't.
2) Warlords had a significant beta period and over a month in the pre-expansion preparation patch, and the launch was ghastly for the first few days.

I don't disagree that this sucks and that expectations were higher, but this is (to my recollection) the first major miss on estimating server load since ARR launch. I do think they should look into more easily scalable server tech for the next expansion, if players are equally/more engaged with Stormblood as we were in Heavensward (but even then, that remains vulnerable to the aforementioned DDoSes). They have some smart folks, so they're probably already exploring this if they haven't already. Comes down to budget, security, some bureaucratically entrenched rear end in a top hat they need to convince, etc.

*edit -

The Black Stones posted:

They've had 2 launches now to realize their game gets SUPER popular and busy at launch. Now, I'm 100% admitting I don't know if it's possible but if it is, they should add some temporary sever storage to account for that spike and then lower it down to whatever they expected the needed for the normal routine.

To be fair, the HW launch was mostly smooth, a few minor snags. But yes, it is possible - Amazon (for example) rents out their servers so it's a matter of the security/budget/etc. concerns I noted above.

isk fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 17, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

FWIW I'm getting repeat 90002s atm, trying to log in to Excalibur, ~200-ish login queue.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

the paladin

It's real good.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Just finished the final HW SAM quest. No spoilers - it's dope.

Happy how this glamour came out. FANCY LADS

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Elentor posted:

How's the gameplay of Samurai? How's it compared to old DRG?

3 smaller rotations for single target, one main rotation for AoE, same number of self-buffs to manage. A bit burstier with a few small cast times. No positionals. I'm enjoying it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

To be clear, by positionals I mean extra potency from flank/rear (like MNK and DRG combos), not cone/line AoEs.

*edit -

Resonance22 posted:

You also get bonus Kenki for flanks with Kasha and rears with Gekko.

I stand corrected.

isk fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 17, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Ohtsam posted:

I work in tech and am extremely sympathetic for other devs when shits on fire and they're in a scramble to fix it having been on the other end of that before.
This still isn't in the bottom half of worst mmo launches anyways.

This.

The duty cap is obviously a critical error that moving forward shouldn't happen again - or if it does, SE should be able to alleviate it within a few hours (ideally one). I'm upset, too - I resorted to farming Ifrit Hard for RDM/SAM weapons. I wanna progress! I've got the time off, I have tons of food and drinks and snacks, and all my errands are taken care of. But saying "they should literally be fired" is a bit much.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I mean, it's not the devs' fault, it's the fault of them not having enough resources allocated for the launch. They're trying their best, it's just a dismal launch because Square corporate is stingy with server resources. If they were willing to pay, they could have been using Amazon cloud services for the duration of the launch to dynamically allocate instance space.

Sure. They're still open to DDoSes, though, and as others said, it's not a simple process. I do agree it or an equally/more effective solution should be in place next time.

vOv posted:

It's fine because for some bizarre reason nobody seems to actually use them. Like I'll be in runs have 3 damage/defense pomanders because I'm the only one actually using them.

Most of the time no one uses Lusts the boss unless I do. Which, whatever, more comms for me and 51-60 is trivial.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Red Red Blue posted:

I dunno man, either they didn't see this coming which is a downright incredible lack of foresight, or they did know that the instance servers wouldn't be able to handle this pounding and still put a line of story battle quests like a half an hour in to the expansion. Neither is a good look, really

Don't get me wrong - this is a critical/priority 1 problem. In my job, someone forgets to check a box and it costs thousands if not millions of dollars - equally rare and impactful. "I'm really mad" is a valid reaction. "They should be fired" is an overreach. Unless there's a trend or demonstrable malfeasance, like if this was a genuine mistake or an incorrect estimation, I'm reasonably confident whoever's responsible a) feels like poo poo, and b) wants to take steps to prevent this moving forward.

*edit -

Also: don't be a bad like me and miss the flank/rear combo -> Kenki boosts.

isk fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 17, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Obligatum VII posted:

You forgot a potential alternate C) Repeatedly said this was going to happen and was ignored by people who don't feel like poo poo over it and are incapable of learning from mistakes

This too! Said it earlier in the thread - might be some bureaucratically-entrenched rear end in a top hat everyone else can't wait to see leave the company.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Minrad posted:

And know what?

Minera source ur quotes plz

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I'm in.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Also for whoever was asking earlier - lvl 62 has a considerable impact on SAM gameplay. Somewhere between 3x-4x as much Kenki if you hit your single target positionals, but you still get more than pre-62 if you're solo/lazy. Quite a bit more Kenki during AoE as well. You get an oGCD single target attack that you can use, like, every other combo while still having Kaiten for every Midare. It owns.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Yeah, think something happened - either SE implemented some fixes or other realms on the data center went down. Cold Steel worked with no drama, and when I was done there were 2/3rds fewer folks around Raubahn. Rhaelgr's Reach is packed with folks doing fetch quests.

*edit - yep, 9000xs at Pipin. Awesome.

isk fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 18, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Hows SAM for the people on it?

Lots of fun. Level 70 might be a different beast but it didn't take long for me to adjust from DRG, and with the buff to Kenki generation at 62 the combos are pretty much endless. The occasional 20k crit is neat.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

65 SAM quest is so good, straight out of a Kurosawa flick. The class is fun to play after the brief acclimation period, and it only gets better at 62.

Susano is impressive, Violet Tides is rad, whole first half of the launch owns. Dungeons rain loot. Only thing that sucks is the queue times for DDs, but that was expected.

Also glad that SE got the duty fixes in. Aside from the server explosion last night which lasted only a few minutes including the login queue (unless you're on Balmung, RIP), it's been rock solid.

*edit -

Intoluene posted:

I really hope the new dungeons are faster than the hw leveling dungeons. They were good but so slow to complete.

They feel about the same to me, maybe a touch quicker so far. As I noted above, it really helps that loot is plentiful and that significant upgrades over the previous patch's best gear start at 64 (instead of 56-57).

isk fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 19, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Conot posted:

My main issue is that so far I don't have many suitable glamour katanas. I have the Ironworks katana glamour on at the moment, with the Shire Katana as backup, waiting to do some more PotD to be able to get the Kinna Katana, but as far as "cool lookin' katana glamours" go those are my options so far, unless I want to blow multi-millions on the marketboard crafter pieces.

Inferno Katana's probably the best 2 million gil I've ever spent.

If you wanna save money, the regular Inferno Blade drop isn't bad, and Ravana EX is cake on unsynched.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Some leveling recommendations for folks who skipped early access (at 68 atm) -

1) Save sidequests for later as much as possible, at least for when you're in queue for a dungeon/trial, after you at least get a mount speed increase in the zone, and ideally after flying. Not always feasible depending on the status of FATE trains, but Shatter is really good XP.

2) Aether currents are often behind sidequests, but they're often at the start of a long chain and as usual designated by a blue icon with a plus sign.

3) Stormblood mount speed increases are locked behind the MSQ, usually towards the tail end of a zone.

4) Augmented Shire gear starts getting replaced at 64. Big jumps in defense every level after. Reminder that the final boss of every leveling dungeon in HW and SB now drops one piece of gear not in your bags for your job. The number of total drops per dungeon is generous.

5) There's a 30 minute boss FATE in each zone I've seen (not sure about The Lochs). Clearing it on Gold should provide an achievement and an Orchestrion roll.

6) None of the single player duties (at least so far) require you to die right away. If it looks like you're a bit outmatched, there's probably a trick.

7) If you'd like dungeon/trial walkthroughs, Meoni has a few out on Youtube. He's accurate and informative with brevity (as an alternative to MrHappy).

isk fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 20, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

A DDoS, huh? Called it (kinda).

isk posted:

Only so much that can be tested and modeled. Nothing beats a live environment, especially with millions of concurrent users. While their structure should support scalable/cloud server capacity, even that can be vulnerable to DDoSes. Either way, "testing" only gets so far.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

By the by, has anyone who ordered the digital version from the SE Online Store gotten their retail key yet? I'm beginning to get antsy.

Got mine at, like, 10 AM US Central yesterday.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Final story dungeon and trial own bones. So many mechanics in the final trial -

1) Tidal Wave - move towards the wave (find it) / away from pools in back (knockback) - get right on the edge, not much tolerance
2) Purple marks - get away
3) Alternating columns
4) Earth Breath - big cones, someone will be marked
5) Hellfire - get in pools
6) Pulse beacons - run away
7) Kill adds - long columns - keep folks topped off during add phase - interrupt Death Sentence on the big adds
8) For the ATE, move your cursor towards the center of the screen, then tap the button rapidly, huge column afterwards
9) Dodge the square tail attack, then kill it - avoid standing on cracked platforms after it's hit by a tail - leave the corners if possible to dodge AoE later
10) Aerial blast - get to center, repeat knockbacks + damage
11) Diamond Dust - stay still, don't move when the ground is ice
12) Akh Morn - tanks stack (?) or just use cooldowns?
13) Stack up for the orange/yellow arrow circle - must do this, heavy damage
14) Break chains (marked)
15) Earthen Fury - two players marked, should run to the edges and point the big cones away from the group
16) Icicles from the edge will push a bit, be mindful of edges

Left off a few others, old & simple stuff (move away from the marked people, etc.).

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you have any podcasts or audiobooks you've been wanting to catch up on, potd grinding is a great time to do it, it really takes the edge off.

Tensokuu posted:

Yeah, if you've got Netflix just go watch the new season of MST3K while you're pushing through.

Did these as well, can confirm it helped a lot with getting SAM to 60. Got thru the new (to Netflix) season of Parts Unknown.

isk fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 21, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Overall liked Stormblood 4.0 a lot. Various thoughts -

* Hits a lot of the same notes as Heavensward 3.0, resolves most plotlines and leaves a few others open. Great characters written pretty well, with some surprise yet appropriate appearances. Follows the guideline of making the audience care about the cast, and then puts the cast in dangerous situations. Don't recall any quests that were as frustrating as the 3.0 Churning Mists find-the-moogle ones, but I do have a few more to do. Speaking of -

* I -think- there are significantly more sidequests in SB. I did most of them until the late 60s, and I only did FATEs and dungeons casually, yet I only had to double back and do a handful of sidequests to meet a level requirement right at 69/70. I also like how long sidequest chains usually (always?) give an aether current at the start, giving you the option to do other stuff and come back later.

* Dungeons are great! Relatively challenging but not overly so, none that feel as brutal as The Vault with pubbies. Loot all the time - while the final story dungeon lacks the guaranteed personal drop at the end, two guaranteed grade V materia per person is an inspired design choice. The trials aren't playing around either but the mechanics seem a bit more upfront and transparent than HW's early ones. Lakshmi is really good but Susano is THE RULES OF NATURE

* Music owns, both day and night themes. Soken's a god and Uematsu did well with the main theme. The melody hosed me up pretty much every time it played. Also, (Azim Steppe) the Doma theme kicking in as you meet Hien at a cliffside (somewhat like Cyan in the World of Ruin) is a wonderful moment.

* The zones are pretty and diverse with a massive sense of scale. The tower in the Ruby Sea, the walls of Yanxia, etc. Underwater gives a preview of flight speed, and I like the increase to ground mount speed (though I'd argue it could be given a bit earlier in each zone). The Lochs upfront aren't quite as visually interesting as Azys Lla, but that's made up by what's under the surface, the architecture of the palace, and also the fact that it's Ala loving Mhigo. Overall you can see the benefit from PS3 deprecation - zones are big and instances have far fewer load screens.

* Stated this before, but SAM is a well designed class that plays fluidly. For the most part, new abilities are introduced at a reasonable pace, and it wasn't until Guren that I felt even a bit taxed (but that was also b/c I was dealing with new dungeons/trials).

* FATEs are okay. A bit better with the random bonuses, and the 30 min boss / Orchestrion roll in each zone (I think) is neat.

* Love the QoL changes. Only had to clean out my bags once on the way to 70. Being able to change jobs anywhere with no cooldown penalty is the best.

Only snag for me has been the server issues, but relieved to see it was due to a DDoS (both b/c it was due to external causes, and b/c I've experienced the same at my job. Solidarity!). Even with those, then getting mostly to 61 w/DRG followed by a switch to SAM and lots of PotD runs, I was able to get within a shade of 70 during early access without poopsocking. Lots of stretches where the servers were solid.

This expansion should be real good moving forward. Only real doubt I have is if Savage raids are initially overturned again, but the team's generally shown an ability to learn from past mistakes.

Maguoob posted:

Final Trial Mechanic Spoiler
On #8 you don't need to move your mouse and tap the button. Any input works, so you can just bang away at your keyboard and be fine.

Thanks! Great tip, will add to my macros.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Which is a neat bit of design because your AoE combo gives two Sen.

Yep! Job seems complicated on paper but it flows in practice. Only thing I want is for Hakaze to proc off one of the abilities, but that's it.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I was really impressed with how organically the samurai skills come together to steer you toward your correct rotation.

That said, I'm only 54 or something on mine, it might get harder once you get more kenki spenders (I'm not clear on the purpose of some of the lower-potency ones (please don't ask me their names I don't remember them))

A little but I didn't feel challenged until 70. The extra Kenki at 62 is liberating.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

ULDAH: lol I'm Dalmasca
LOCHS: Hold my beer

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Temple of the Fist, 2nd boss -

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I really enjoy SAM but in hindsight PLD would've been better as a first job to 70.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I made a linkshell on Excalibur for A & S rank hunts. If you're interested and would call out marks you run into, shoot a whisper to Raia Khatri.

isk fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 26, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Hug phase, solid Lakshmi EX group -

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Different (but still solid) Lakshmi EX group. Everyone's yelling at me so I know it's good.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

are they different in a way that makes a melee healer untenable in ffxiv?

Potentially, depends on the fight and the group comp. If melee are constantly having to move/miss positionals/lose GCDs because the healer is increasing the chances of a nearby AoE, or if the healer has to interrupt their casts more often to move from the extra AoEs (whereas at ranged they could spread out and have a lesser chance of getting targetted), they'd probably get phased out of the meta until SE adjusted encounters. Considering the encounter design is already pretty good with certain baseline mechanics, I'm alright with them not going wild with a new healer archetype.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I'm really glad the Stormblood launch EX primals are accessible. Never gone after EX primals when they were relevent/endgame but Lakshmi and Susano are just challenging enough to be interesting.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

And just like that, I've gotten primal EX weapons for my two main jobs when I'd previously not picked up any outside of glamours. Stormblood is extremely my poo poo.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Nigulus Rex posted:

I'm returning after 18 months to play samurai (who isn't?) and I wanted to make a healer or tank as well for queue times and general usefulness. Any thoughts on paladin versus white mage? I have no real preference on tank or heals, I've done both in the past.

There's always a need for tanks but I saw some people saying there's a huge lack of healers too.

Since there are so few of each it'll spike depending on time and situation. Anecdotally, I've seen considerably more tanks than healers in my hunt groups. Really what I'd recommend is to focus on the job you find more fun.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Such a ridiculous mount. Hope the flying animation gets patched because at the moment it's pretty :effort:

cheetah7071 posted:

Ideally you put the boss close enough to the border that melees on either side can hit him

This. It helps.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Oh right, glams -

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

- More enmity gen for tanks is always welcome (especially considering SE's desire to gut their damage).

It's an especially nice bump for low level tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Shy posted:

The gear would've been amazing if it was dyeable.

If it follows Alexander rules, the Savage versions will be dyeable.