Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't understand how their infrastructure is *so bad* that they can only handle 11 solo duty instances at any given time. Like, how did this not become a problem during ARR/Heavensward? The playerbase is, what, a million or so? They never EVER had more than 11 people doing a solo duty instance at any one time, ever before?

Their justification is that letting more people through Raubahn Savage would lead to server instability in the later zones, but right now on Leviathan there's like thousands of people all hanging out in the Fringes (spread out over a few instances) doing FATE swarms and such and the servers are handling that just fine. Letting more people through so you have like 500 people in a later zone is too much for the servers to handle?

I'd guess they can handle more solo instances but something hosed up and they're not really sure what. I'd suspect it has something to do with the new datacenter but I doubt this is restricted to just NA.

macfam posted:

Can someone explain why AoE attacks always do less damage to each enemy instead of doing a flat amount of damage to every enemy inside its effect?
I'm just annoyed that deathflare will do less damage now
On a related note now you're unable to cast shadow flare again for 60 seconds? You usually have to recast it every 15 seconds because enemies won't stop moving around.

People were clearing dungeons a lot faster than initially anticipated because of huge AoE. Before HW, it was easy to just train every encounter up until the next gate or boss and just AoE them down. They've tried combating this in numerous ways, like having more gates to break up the trash encounters between bosses or not spawning a bunch of enemies until the first or second clusters are dead. By lowering AoE damage this way, AoE remains viable for small packs while making it harder for the tank to survive, say, tank five packs at once. Even if the healer can keep up, making it take longer makes it just that much more dangerous. You could view the sagittarius in Baelsar's Wall in as a similar countermeasure. The random tank you get in EXDR often didn't know how to handle ranged mobs and the archers would be dicks and dot up random party members, making it harder for the tank to keep aggro off the healer as they'd have to devote a little more time to everyone else. It's dumb but this is a situation SE has decided is a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Fun tip: Don't name change when there's congestion.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

hagie posted:

I just want to get on to loving play...ANYTHING. Servers have been perpetually full all day today and most of Saturday.

Yeah but at least you can queue and get in. I got a name change and now I have to change my name before I can play again, and I can't name change while there's congestion.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Speaking as someone who started catgirl, went dragongirl, then went back to catgirl, Au Ra horns don't work too well with a lot of outfits and outfits that show a lot of skin can clash with their scales. You can make stuff work but it has its difficulties.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to see an issue with my Au Ra in the level 50 RDM in Ishgard gear...

Makes me want to spend the 10 dollars on a Fantasia...

On top of that, I'm not fond of their emotes. That said, they have a far better selection of standing idle emotes than catgirls. It's going to be down to your personal preference.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Cool Bear posted:

That's right. What drew me to this allegory was at some point during the MSQ, someone said that the Garleans first attacked Eorzea BECAUSE the primals were out of control.

Imagine being a Japanese person right now, and you hate the behavior of the people during WW2, and you think to yourself "drat what kind of weird monsters were they" it was primals summoned by the beast people.

You've got your timeline mixed up. Primals were sealed until after they invaded.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Cool Bear posted:

I seem to remember that someone said the first meteor attack was from a Garlean force which invaded Eorzea because the Garleans were worried about too many primal summonings.

If I remember that wrong, then my understanding is all wrong. It is just this detail that made me think of the historical parallel.

That still came after their invasion of Eorzea. First they took Ala Mhigo, waited five years, then flew an airship fleet into the center of the region and ended up igniting a battle with dragons that they lost that unsealed the primals. Only after they were fed up with fighting primals summoned by beastman fearing for their lives because of the Garlean invasion (and increased friction with their neighbors due to the whole situation) did they try calling down a meteor.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Minrad posted:

little of column a, little of column b. Garleans were the laughing stock of Eorzea because they had no magical power, no aetherical connection. Building magitek was their way of becoming great, and they didn't forget about getting picked on, so they went and conquered everything in revenge.

also, the empire is loving big and failing at this point. it spans an entire continent and it's still trying to expand and subjugate entire kingdoms while all its rulers become psychopaths like every evil kingdom does before collapsing; of course it's lost sight of its own goals and missions and the left hand's never aware of what the right hand's doing.

Garlemald isn't anywhere near Eorzea, but they were the laughingstock in the region of their homeland for those reasons. Conquering Eorzea was just another notch to add. First Emperor of Garlemald was getting old, so may as well add more to the list of his accomplishments. Eorzea was to be another of the grand achievements under his reign, but then that went pear-shaped. It would remain a blemish on his record which is partly why Project Meteor was given support. No need to build more airships or lose more armies if they just destroyed Eorzea.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

UHD posted:

Everything is an atomic bomb when you think about it

Your body is made of atoms.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

The Ascians use corpses to get around, right? Could Elidibus have hijacked Zenos' corpse?

Well. We don't know all their rules but the one case we saw had them inhabiting a living person.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Eopia posted:

I'm pretty sure, in the summoner questline in heavensward, we saw them inhabiting corpses, but that was something for lesser ascians who weren't powerful enough to take over living bodies.

It's been a while since I did those then so I don't quite remember. Pretty sure that wouldn't apply in this case considering the character.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SonicRulez posted:

MSQ Ending Stuff:

- What's Estinien's deal? Was he purposely hiding from us? I mean I'm glad we closed out all the HW stuff, but it was bothering me.

I suspect it's because of how he left the stage in 3.x. He clearly doesn't want to get involved again but feels responsible, and his travels his Alphy have left its mark on him so he's probably too shy to just show his face in front of him.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Augus posted:

Third and final part of the Noclip documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONT6fxiu9cw

Is the 5 million subs number mentioned news or just old information?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I had a vague idea of Dancer as the Thavnair-themed healer who used thrown needles for attacking/healing via targeting pressure points, and dances as aoe stuff.

But I'm not a lifelong FF-fan or anything so I've no idea how that fits and poo poo.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

While I'd love it if they shifted the MSQ or just added extensive sidequests to revisit city storylines, I don't think it should end with us solving everything. The problems of the three (well, four but Ishgard is actually kinda trying given recent societal upheaval) city-states are more rooted in social issues and wouldn't feel appropriate if you could solve them by defeating a boss. Defeating the leader of the Coeurlclaws won't unfuck the underlying social pressures that lead to their formation for instance.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

WhiteHowler posted:

Actually, another thing bothers me about the end of Heavensward's MSQ:

I understand what Ilberd was trying to do with his false-flag attack on Baelsar's Wall. He was trying to force the Garleans to retaliate or invade, which would spark a full-scale war with the Alliance. If the Alliance wins, Ala Mhigo is free.

What I don't get is the whole thing with Nidhogg's eyes. His fallback plan was to kill himself to summon a primal powerful enough to destroy the world (and Ala Mhigo with it)? And the way he talks after the fight, this was a key part of his plan all along. Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

On top of what other posters have said...

There's an element of revenge. When the Empire invaded Ala Mhigo, none of the other nations came to its aid. Obviously it's not like the other nations were exactly in the best shape given the lack of unity and previous friction with Ala Mhigo but the point is that the Eorzean Alliance as it stands now doesn't really have much moral ground to stand on in regards to Ala Mhigo. They didn't help then, they didn't help after, and they aren't helping now. He sells the plan to the Resistance by making it both a chance to get back at the Empire as well as draw the Alliance into conflict with the Empire. But the real goal is revenge on everyone. The Empire for attacking Ala Mhigo, the Eorzeans for doing nothing the entire time, and you could even say the Ala Mhigans for not throwing out the invaders. For him, it stopped being about Ala Mhigo and was all about making GBS threads over everyone's face.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

homeless snail posted:

Yeah also if you get the garo title for a job you can rebuy the gear at the salvager for a tiny amount of gil, rather than having to hang on to your MGP invisible shield for all time.

Though word of warning. For whatever reason, the Invisible Shield is not part of the achievement and is not stocked at the salvager. However, it's way cheaper to get it via PVP than MGP, and it's not like you're lacking in offhand armory slots.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I was only seven victories away from my third Garo mount before SB and I prefer the new PVP a lot more.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Asimo posted:

Also the exist solely at the whims of misanthropic elemental lords, and were basically responsible for most of the Ala Mighan refugee problem by refusing to help or host them and shoving them into the desert to let Ul'dah handle it. It doesn't come up as often as the other two city states but they're plenty hosed up in their own ways.

Yeah, Gridania's frictions are much more subdued but they're there. Duskwights have been mentioned but there's also the Miqo'te population and the troublesome Coeurlclaws. Hell, there's even a delivery moogle quest with the latter, where a catgirl is hoping to convince her sister to run away with her to Ul'dah. The Coeurlclaws exist because Gridanian society is ultimately presided over by the Elementals, and everyone treads super carefully because of that, leading to misunderstandings and lots of people who are worse off because of it. Sure, it beats not having a home but it's not without its downsides.

Sinteres posted:

I feel like their reverence for nature and the elements is presented as canonically good though, or close to it. Preserving the land is pretty much the whole point of the Scions, though in their case it's more of a big picture thing about the planet and the star than about elementals in a specific area. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the connection elementals have with the land.

It's a mix. Essentially, if they piss of the Elementals, the forest will reject them. It did so to the Ixals in the past and the Gelmorrans lived underground rather than incur their wrath. Getting along with the Elementals means doing whatever they ask you to. They find a balance with the demands placed upon them and usually don't try to push boundaries because it risks loving up their entire civilization. This comes up as an underlying story point in the leatherworker quests. They have to make do with what little material they can get their hands on because the city doesn't let hunters hunt too much. It's not that the Elementals have set a quota or anything, but the fear that they will be punished if they push too hard.

They revere nature because they're terrified of what happens if they don't.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dr Pepper posted:

This is also why Poaching gets a death sentence in Gridania.

The day-to-day life of Gridanians isn't all that different from others. But sometimes the Elementals make a demand. Sometimes someone just fucks up. And the punishment tends to be harsh because their society fears incurring the wrath of the Elementals. Hell, then there's the Padjal. Can random Hyur child can be born a Padjal. Wanted a child? Too bad, your child is going to join one of the Padjali families because they have a special power and a responsibility. With Limsa and Ul'dah, much of their problems ultimately come from other people. With Gridania, they exist at the whims of the inhuman Elementals, and your neighbors, friends, and family would rather let something bad happen than incur their wrath.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm a casual but by being in several linkshells and keeping an eye on FC chat, I've gotten my Omega drops done with one group in one night, cleared LakEx a buncha times, and beat SusEx enough times to buy my RDM a rapier and get the BLM weapon as a drop. Get to know people and if you're good enough, they'll remember you.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sylphie hosed up because she was blowing off guild lessons to spam healing. The metaphor works for healer DPS but it's not meant to be a 1:1 taken as a whole. There's more to conjury than spamming heals and part of what the conjurer's guild teaches is to not gently caress yourself from healing.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SKULL.GIF posted:

It is very amusing to me that all everyone discusses is the Azim Steppes. Fringes, Peaks, Ruby Sea, Yanxia, Lochs? Nope. It's all the Steppes. Square-Enix did something very right with the Steppes and something very wrong with the other regions.

The people complaining about the predictability of the story honestly should have brought up actual details, like pointing out that the Ala Mhigan rebellion got wrapped up so incredibly abruptly after you finish the Othard storyline. It seems to me almost like that two separate teams were writing the Gyr Abania story and the Othard story, and had to quickly fuse them to meet the deadline.

The Ala Mhigan plot probably should have been mostly devoted to the Fringes/Peaks, with base Stormblood itself wrapping up with you conquering Doma Castle, and the extended patches dealing with you finishing off Zenos as he retreats into the Lochs and you complete the Ala Mhigo liberation effort.

That way you don't get the weirdly abrupt ending to Stormblood while focusing your efforts on liberating Doma, and you have content for Lyse being inspired by Hien's efforts, and wanting to take it back to Gyr Abania to end Garlemald's incursion into Eorzea once and for all.

Of course I don't know what they have planned for the MSQ for 4.1 and later, who knows where this will go.

Yeah, there's definitely some pacing issues. To sum it up, the 4.0 story feels the right length, but the... let's say, three segments of the story feel like the first and third needed to be longer. As is, they both feel seriously off for a variety of reasons. But if they were longer, the 4.0 story as a whole would feel waaaaay too long.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Clarste posted:

Personally I think the whole "we need to drop everything and go liberate Doma with like 3 people" segue made very little sense and disrupted the pacing greatly. I guess I can understand that they wanted Ala Mhigo to be the climax, but it just didn't work at all, imo.

I've a lot of issues with that arc but its overall its length felt right. You got to do the right amount of stuff (not necessarily in each zone) and it felt like it ended when it should've.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Speaking of the middle part of SB. What the gently caress is up with Yanxia?

Strictly speaking, the zone isn't small. But it feels tiny, like it needs to be a third larger than it actually is. Also, the giant walls just mess with the general aesthetics of the place. They're loving huge, why the gently caress do you need loving huge walls like that? Also, imperial airships. I can accept smaller fliers getting downed by makeshift weaponry because their operators and machinery are exposed. But how the gently caress has anyone been taking down imperial airships? You see tons of them all over SB and many of them aren't fresh. Sure, the Alliance has cannons but they strike me as ye olde cannonball cannons and not the sort of thing you'd use against a mobile, let alone flying, target. So far the only anti-air thing we've seen ingame that doesn't belong to the Garleans are dragoons (haha) and Ishgard's dragonkillers. This is one of the things I'd like the game to advance along. The Alliance has confiscated a lot of Imperial tech and is incorporating what they can in their fight against the Empire.

Also, I would've loved, loved, to see The Protector, Ishgard's airship parked in Sea of Clouds make an appearance in Stormblood. Hien's appearance worked but I wanted to see more of Ishgard.

Argas fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 13, 2017

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Khisanth Magus posted:

The anti-ship tech is called Firaga, and other black magic.

Which is something only Ul'dah has. Okay not really.. There's probably wandering Thaumaturges, self-taught ones, or just other schools of it, but it's just a detail that bugs me.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

EponymousMrYar posted:

Concerning all the downed Imperial Aircraft you find strewn about the SB zones: They're much like real world aircraft in that the main thing that keeps them afloat is not getting hit in the first place. Most are assault crafts which took all of 5-6 shots from a dinky Anti-Air battery in Castrum Meriandum.

Fact of the matter is we haven't seen much of the one size larger than that outside of shots from cutscenes, heck the main one I remember is Gaius doing his grand ol' 'Emperor arrives at the Death Star' scene in 2.0. We've gotten more exposure to the Big Huge ships (the Agrias and the Gration) than we have the bigger-than-assault craft ships despite there only being 2 of those huge ones in existence :v:

I'm pretty sure the Alliance hasn't shot down any of those and we saw what it took to give the Gration some trouble (RIP Ysayle)

The Agrias and Gration are both flagships so I think there aren't any others. The Garlean Empire isn't nearly as airship crazy as Archadia. I wouldn't be surprised if the Garlean Empire is still reeling from losing their airship fleet over Mor Dhona, losing not just the Agrias but also scores of those weird cylinder-headed ones. If anything, they're probably moving away from bigger stuff they have a harder time replacing to the simpler fliers.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It doesn't.

Bahamut and Tiamat were on Merycidia for pretty much all of their lives, and were quite fond of eachother. They lived in peace with the inhabitants of the land until the Allagans attacked.

The Au Ra were created in the far East by Azim and Nhaama to fight their proxy war, as the two of them were bitter rivals in their quest to rule the new world.

Gearhead posted:

Azim and Nhaama, whoever they are, have yet to be properly revealed.

There are some weird technological things afoot in Othard, such as the freaking Space Elevator in Ruby Sea.

Unless they release conclusive evidence of a connection that isn't just Dawn and Dusk, the relationship between the two pairs are entirely coincidental. I mean, it's not like our creation myths are all entirely unique stories with no coincidental similarities at all.

Edit: It's entirely possible that it's not a coincidence and there is a connection because it's a common trend in fiction. But given that work and detail put forth into FFXIV worldbuilding, I'm not going to assume they're doing the usual no-such-thing-as-coincidence with this.

Argas fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 14, 2017

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, I can understand that. Red Mage thematically is white magic + black magic but the white magic element is fairly limited. If Summoner had a good cure + raise it would kind of thematically tread on the same ground. Though people are right that they should have something that heals pets at minimum.

I mostly find it hilarious from the balance perspective. Even if Summoners didn't have a terrible heal, Red Mages have on-demand swiftcasting through their dualcast mechanic. I'd like BLM to have a raise of some sort at least for the utility perspective, but there is the concern that BLM never runs out of MP, whereas the other two can and have to manage their MP accordingly as a battle wears on.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

macfam posted:

Regarding Magnai and Sadu being his moon, I don't see how that could work out seeing their religions are incompatible. Sadu believes she has been reincarnating as the same person over and over just with a different appearance. Meanwhile Magnai believes he is the reincarnation of the Dawn Father who is destined to find the reincarnation of the Dusk Mother each time they're reborn. How could Sadu be the Dusk Mother when they've been the same Sadu every time? That's not even getting in to the part where Magnai has his own ideas of how the Dusk Mother should be and Sadu is the complete opposite of that.

Magnai's tribe doesn't literally believe they're the Dawn Father, but that they descended from his Xaela avatar. They believe that the Dusk Mother shed tears that became her Xaela avatars and their destined partners. Is the Dusk Mother constantly shedding tears? Or do they believe their destined partners could also be descended from them? Who knows.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

So, Omega got me thinking.

Previous FF references brought into 14 were of two types, either dimensional hopping (usually the crossover stuff like Shantotto and Lightning) or refluffed as natural parts of FF14, whether on Hydaelyn or part of the different worlds that are linked to ours. Xande and crew got refluffed as part of the Allagan Empire. The Warring Triad were also incorporated as eikons. Omega brought us Halicarnassus, a fictional character in the context of FF14, and Exdeath, part of a legend in FF14's world.

So, what about Ivalice? Well, I can't see them just introducing an entirely new region of the world without letting us visit it in some capacity. Given that Ivalice isn't a small region either, it'd be a waste to only see peeks of it in three raids. So why not give us a fictionalized Ivalice? Perhaps, say, the legend of Dalmasca's princess leading a rebellion against the Allagan Empire? Throw in a magical grimoire that sucks the player into it (and say, maybe three kids who roped us into investigating this in the first place to toss a bone to FFTA) and they can give us FF14-ized FF12 references.

And then just have us visit modern Ivalice/Dalmasca in 5.0, somewhere in Ilsabard. If they want to rope Thavnair into it, just have Ivalice be to its immediate north. Maybe modern Ivalice/Dalmasca is fighting off/fought off the Garleans in the wake of Doma's own liberation and wants the heroes of Ala Mhigo and Doma to come to their aid.

Bonus round: Viera refugees show up in Gridania and are accepted by the elementals. They are seen as interlopers and usurpers of the previous order despite their acceptance by the elementals, giving us a new source of Gridania-focused stories.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

For me, UI mods in WoW was a neverending quest to improve how my UI looked/felt/operated. It wasn't as bad as TES/Fallout in terms of how much time I spent tinkering rather than playing but it certainly got in the way of things, especially when something broke.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ibram Gaunt posted:

People only got mad if you didn't have it in serious content, which is something you did with a static group of people anyways where everyone would be on the same page regardless.

I've definitely had people bitch about it in LFR during Pandaria but it was basically them not wanting to bother explaining mechanics to newbies.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

King Cohort posted:

Is running every single dungeon in the game tens of times across multiple max-level characters not experience enough for you, friend? Their post is correct.

My anecdote trumps their anecdote because

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

This is what I'd assume to, although it makes more sense with Regula Van Hydrus as Solus actually considers him a personal friend. On the other hand Regula is most definately dead whereas we never actually see Gaius' body.

On the flipside, Elidibus might have his own rules for body possession.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Harrow posted:

If they redid 1-50, I think the only real option would be to keep the same overall story and just smooth out the pacing, then keep HW/SB exactly the same.

This basically. Upping the amount of exp you get in general, expanding old zones to be bigger so they can fit in more dailies. Just making the current beastman dailies scaling like HW's won't work because they take you into 45+ areas. Easier to just make new bits for that. Hell, they could fit in more side-stories that explore less covered aspects of the setting like Postmoogle quests. Make the experience of leveling classes/jobs less of a chore by making them more fun early rather than the slow-rear end trickle of poo poo.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They don't really need to up the exp if that road to 60 thing is here to stay. People are well ahead of the level curve by the time they get to HW and SB content because of all the quests.

They need to just severely trim the fat.
HW's post launch/post 3.0 MSQ content is about perfect in terms of volume.

More side-quests would at least give people even more avenues to leveling other jobs.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Blockhouse posted:

skipped through five pages of "actually they should totally rework all the 2.0 content" to say that it's never going to happen because Blizzard realized with Cataclysm that it's a giant hole you throw money down for minimal reward. Updating old content instead of developing new content is a cool idea in theory but in practice a nightmare. Thus, the story boosts. That is the only viable solution.

Well, the cheapest solution anyway.

And although 2.0 did what was thought impossible (remaking a failed MMO while it was still online, at least partway) I doubt they're going to bet on impossible twice.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

kirbysuperstar posted:

XI RDMs were just a refresh battery.

Did they explode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just have Return to Ivalice as a sucked into a magical tome telling the story of ancient Ivalice, and then modern Ivalice for 5.0