Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm a bad healer because I pre-Regen tanks when they pull mobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Sometimes i'll accidentally Aspected Benefic the tank between pulls and think to myself "(please click it off please click it off please click it off) WELP I'M DEAD"

Despite the fact that healing aggro exists, I feel tanks have enough AoE abilities in their toolkit so that they can intercept mobs or at least stagger pulls to the point where you wouldn't get aggro.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

So long as Flash or Overpower connect and hit the mobs they're going to be stuck on the tank. Regen threat isn't going to pull off a tank with the innate enmity boost of tank stance.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You can also drop back into tank stance for a hate combo if a DPS is crawling up the threat meter.

I usually do about two hate combos and then do Storm's Eye right before I enter into DPS stance for OOOOH BUDDY FELL CLEAVE TIME.

You're not going to get healing aggro unless you're bombing the whole team with Medica as soon as the tank runs into the group of mobs. Regen is a super small amount of threat in comparison.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Tanks and healers in this game care more about DPS than doing their actual roles.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Holyshoot posted:

its in wow too, go sit in the druid discord for guardians and all they talk about is parsing and getting best in slot relics for thrash damage. Once you know you can live, focus on dps.

Is catweaving even a thing still?

Don't get me wrong I still drop out of tank stance to do DPS when I know things are under control, but I'm focusing on staying alive if I'm doing new content and learning fights.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Shirk is very useful post tank swap but I'm too dumb to do the threat lead thing at the beginning of the fight.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I have healed through a string of absolutely terrible 56DRs on my WHM this week. The highlight was last night when a PLD tank joined the group with LESS HP THAN I HAVE and then refused to put up Shield Oath or ANY aura at all. I'll take that 30 minute DR penalty, gently caress it I'll play Sonic Mania while it wears off.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

kzin602 posted:

Get rid of the shield stance button, give paladins shield stance as a constant passive trait. Keep the sword stance button, put it on occg with a 10 second cooldown or something. This would make things easier to manage, and free up a hotbar button.

I don't know enough about WAR or DRK to comment on their stances.

It became easier to stance swap as WAR because they removed the 50% wrath penalty when you swap.

Lol @ leaving tank stance on trash unless you have a goon healer in your pocket. I'm still blowing defenses and holmgang if I try and pull over two packs and even then it makes me nervous. I'd rather pull one less pack than have to do the run back.

I need to log my warrior DPS on dungeon bosses when I get my fell cleave dumps going. That's like 11k non-crit every 2.5 seconds.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm usually too drunk to stance swap on trash so that's my excuse.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

hobbesmaster posted:

Dropping tank stance in an aoe pull is a tank swap to the BLM.

No that's actually because I shirked to him.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think most DPS doesn't care because they've been waiting in queue for 30 minutes.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Can somebody tell me which WAR abilities properly mitigate a tankbuster? I think I was doing things wrong trying to mitigate Stormsplitter in Susano EX last night. I was trying to stack Rampart with Inner Beast, which would be 40% damage reduction, correct?

Also, what is the proper role skill loadout for trials/raids? I'm using Shirk/Provoke/Rampart/Anticipation/Convalescence.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Shere posted:

In Susan EX either of your damage reducing cooldowns (Rampart/Vengeance/Inner Beast if you're in Defiance) on their own should see you live through stormsplitter. I usually press Vengeance for every one since it comes back in time with the swaps, and that's with doing the entire fight in Deliverance.

I'm willing to wager you maybe didn't hit them soon enough, or too soon in Inner Beast's case, or your healers weren't keeping you topped off from background damage.

I'd drop Convalescence for Reprisal. It doesn't affect as many incoming heals as it really should and Reprisal is the only thing Warrior gets to assist the party.

I think it was more of a healer issue because as soon as I engaged Susano I dropped to like 5000 health even after popping Rampart and Inner Beast on pull. I'll swap out to reprisal and see how that goes next fight.

Problem is that I'm trying to pug into these EX groups and it's very hit and miss naturally. I'm at ilevel 313 so gear isn't an issue. Funny thing is, the first time I tanked Susano EX was with a goon group and we one shot him.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I started my journey into craftical espionage action and I would like to know what crafting professions go with Botanist? I'm assuming Carpenter and Alchemist at first glance.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I always enjoy having a newbie in the party, because that means I get more stuff at the end.

To be fair though, FF14 is my chillout game, so waiting an extra 10 minutes in a dungeon won't kill me.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Honestly just convert the two MSQ dungeons into a single player duty and call it a day.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Speaking of housing, how much money do I need to get a small place?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Wow I didn't realize they were ports. Kind of explains how they can be ball busters if you have a poo poo group.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Is there a good guide or TLDR for the DRG rotation at 70? Seems to me like I get eyes, hit Gierkisgokul and the go hog wild with Nastrond.

Like the main part of the rotation is fine, I just don't know what to do with the Life of the Dragon stuff.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sarrisan posted:

So the basics of life cycles are you want to make sure you get maximum amount of them per fight, and you want to ensure you always get 3 nastronds per cycle. At the end of the fight, your mirage dive uses should equal your nastrond.

What follows from this is that you want to ensure that you are using Jump and Spineshatter dive asap when they are up. You should never delay either one unless doing so would force you to eat a mirage dive. This means you should get enough eyes to enter life every 60 seconds or so.

It’s generally natural that this happens as long as you push your buttons on cooldown. The one exception to this is the first life cycle, which you should delay.

Generally, you will have enough eyes to enter life when your second geirscogul comes off cooldown at 47 seconds; however, instead of entering life right away, you want to delay it by using geirscogul before your third mirage dive. This will put you at 3 eyes with geirscogul on cooldown. In 30 seconds, geirscogul will come off cooldown and you will enter life around 1:17 seconds into the fight. This will ensure at least one (optimally 2) of your nastronds are used under your second blood for blood. After this life cycle is over, you should have enough eyes to enter your second right away. 2 of these nastronds should fall under Dragon Sight.

From here on you pretty much just enter life ASAP whenever you have 3 eyes. If you don’t clip your ogcds much then it should all line up naturally. If it feels really awkward, there might be something wrong with your opener.

Thanks dude, I'm trying to get the hang of this through dungeons and I think I'm seeing how the rotation shapes up. Biggest thing for me was entering Life with a full meter so I can get off the max number of Nastronds.

Is it possible to macro instant cast abilities together? I play with a controller and it feels like things are a bit complicated at the opener just based on how my cooldown abilities are positioned.

I probably won't be doing Savage stuff anytime soon, but I still want to learn how to maximize things in case I do start doing them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I'll look at that tonight. Kind of sucks when I have to move with the left stick and use and ability with right D pad that's also crucial for my rotation.

Right now all my active buttons are just LT/RT while cooldowns and utility are double LT/RT.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I just want to have another expansion where I get to putz around with Aymeric and Estinien.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Eureka is really bad and I don't like it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Vargatron posted:

Eureka is really bad and I don't like it.

Allow me to elaborate a bit now that I've stopped being Mad About Video Games.

I think the presentation of Eureka is what upset me more than the actual content. It would have been better if the game had explained the zone a bit better other than just dropping you off at the dock and telling you "go". I'm probably a very dumb gamer but I looked at the elemental wheel and had to ask what the hell it was for. The game probably explained it to me but it got buried in the whole "wtf" aspect of me walking out and taking at least 45-60 seconds killing an on level mob solo. That's even with popping Inner Release and spamming Fell Cleave.

So if the zone was presented as "group up with friends to collect seals from monsters for equipment upgrades", then it would have been easier for me to enjoy it initially. Trying to solo the area is awful. I've been told that drop rates go up once you hit around level 7 or so, which is fine, but exp gains are so minimal that you really have to just work to get on a NM train ASAP (but you're on foot for a while, so lol).

Basically, I'll do the zone after I've done all the other DRs and then just watch Youtube while I mash overpower ad nauseum.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I get the "no hand holding" design aspect, but from a gameplay factor it's not all that fun (for me). I don't mind mob grinding every once in a while, but it was discouraging to only get up to level 3 after an hour.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

My initial reaction to Eureka was negative, but I gave it a shot after letting time pass to see how it felt, and here is my conclusion.

Eureka is the worst content ever added to the game. I am speaking as someone that played 1.0.

Like, you get in there and get to level 5, then just join a NM train until 20, but you don't actually get loot until you're high enough level. So you literally just XP leach off a group while getting one shot on everything. I can't even find a group to chain farm at my level, because it's quicker to just NM train.

Really compelling gameplay to be sure. Run to the next spawn point and AFK until the NM shows up.

"It's not for everyone".

Well who the gently caress is it for???

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

All MMOs are a sunk cost fallacy.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ainsley McTree posted:

I did a pubbie run of o7 normal tonight and met the whiniest pubbies I've ever met in my life. After the first wipe, the red mage died and just refused to get back up. He didn't go afk or anything, he sat there at his computer talking and bitching the whole time, he just lay on the floor whining like a literal toddler throwing a tantrum.

It was a pretty bad group but I think we could have probably scraped out a desperate clear, until we wiped on the dadaluma orbs because we were short one person :thunk:

Hello I see you were with my party from Friday night.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I agree. With the current setup you basically leech until you're high enough to get rewards. Soloing isn't possible since mobs have too much health but you don't get any experience unless you form a party and find an isolated area with enough mobs.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Speaking of gil, I need to actually level BTN and get to farming.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

No, but you see, it's not a problem with the content, but a problem with the player :smug:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Like it's fine and good if you like Eureka, but I had people jump and tell me my criticisms were "a problem with the player, not the content".

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

HenryEx posted:

That's some revisionist history at work here, drat.

Let me preface this by saying Eureka is p. bad.

But then you come in, complain that Eureka doesn't explain poo poo when that was explicitly the point (having content that doesn't hand-hold you) and somehow blame it on misleading presentation (???) or something, complain that you didn't read the explanation on the element wheel the game DID give you, ignored it lighting up in bright colors to tell you exactly what to do when you target an enemy, and wandered around solo when everything, like quest targets routinely being behind mobs 5 levels above your own, the fact it was hyped as a throwback to ye olde community-driven times, and it wanting you to consult with others on how to go about things, pointed towards the content being geared towards parties.

Just about the only legit complaint in that mess was that mobs at an even level have too much health.

Just man up and admit you did a dumb post (we all do sometimes) instead of moving goal posts or taking quotes out of context.

Okay, so I missed the boat on the elemental wheel thing. I figured it out after playing on the beach for a few minutes and I was very angry when I initially posted.

The design is good conceptually but does not work as executed. It's frustrating when the "optimal" way to approach Eureka is get to level 5 and then join a NM train where you AFK and leech XP until you get to a high enough level to be actually eligible for rewards. It's not fun waiting 20 minutes in one spot for a NM to spawn and then get 20% of a level after getting one shot by every mechanic.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm just thankful that by the time I run out of weekly lockouts that it's like Saturday and I can do other things. Only reason I do Eureka is to putz around in guild chat and watch anime.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Their staff was probably poached multiple times to get FF15 out the door and onto PC.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I wish they would have taken a page out of the WoW Timeless Isle book in their Eureka design.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Alone? In Eureka? Have you taken leave of your sense, man?!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Time to join the NM train and leech XP until cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Whatup fellow catdude.