Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Stone 4: 250 potency. Broil 2: 230 potency. Malefic 3: 220 potency, and malefic 2 ate a 20 potency loss. AST worst healer confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

Harrow posted:

Can't you just... use it? Admittedly I didn't play AST before the changes, but did clicking off the card buff give you a shorter cooldown on drawing another or something? Or is there some other reason why just using the card to get rid of it is a poor choice?

You use balance then sleeve draw. You get spire in spread, expanded in royal road, ewer in draw. No one needs any tp or mp. That happened to me the first sleeve draw I did, though most of the time you get something at least marginally useful.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Today I joined an emanation EX PF group that had sprout/learning and "Let's wipe!" in the description. There were 5 new people in the group and we killed it 10 times without wiping. One time both tanks didn't get vril for the transition, died, and then both died at the same time again to the off-tank cone, and yet we still beat it that time. That fight is real easy. That's my story.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Who cares about getting low on TP, AoE until you're out or you're a big dumb doodoo head

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Here's the rundown for class balance changes:
AST - UNPLAYABLE
WHM - UNPLAYABLE
SCH - UNPLAYABLE
WAR - UNPLAYABLE
PLD - UNPLAYABLE
DRK - UNPLAYABLE
MNK -UNPLAYABLE
DRG - UNPLAYABLE
MCH -UNPLAYABLE
BLM - UNPLAYABLE
SMN - UNPLAYABLE
MCH - UNPLAYABLE
BRD - ok i guess
RDM - ok i guess
SAM - PLAYABLE

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

This game follows a strict item budget, except when it doesn't. There's several categories of items, such as blue 320 gear having 2 sockets and the same stats as crafted 320 gear which has 2 sockets and allows overmelding which has the same substats as wondrous tails greens that have 5 sockets. Then there was the time determination cost more per point on the budget but you could have relic weapons with determination that cost the same as other substats. So on and so forth.

also chant this into a mirror with the claps if you are having problems understanding stats:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

weapon 👏 damage 👏 trumps 👏 all 👏 other 👏 stats 👏

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Fire up the illegal third party program and join a level 50 24 man raid, do nothing but blizzard 1 every gcd. Look at the dps chart. Realize nothing matters.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Hot take blue mage looks fine to me. Gimmick mode where you're chunking bosses with flashy abilities could be fun. Though it would also have been funny to mighty guard to reduce damage taken by 5%, or use a primal's fuckoff oneshot ability to do 300 potency, or bad breath to apply 10% less strength and dexterity for 10 seconds, etc.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

The lancer quests stick out in my mind for being the worst.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Not-Europe, Not-Middle East, Not-Russia, Not-India, Not-China, Not-Mongolia, Not-Japan

I'm don't think we really have a feel for what Meracydia is supposed to be though, Not-Scandanavia?

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

If damage intake in dungeons and easy max level content is high enough that healing throughput is interesting on its own, then the game will be drastically more difficult to the point that it will be an issue. The game has always been very easy to heal in that level of content and raising that bar will cause a lot of people to run straight into it. They wouldn't be happy.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

What's the main difference between WoW combat and XIV combat? I haven't played since Cata, but then it was basically press your CDs as they come up, use your resources as they fill, and fill with your spam attack.

It seems identical to XIV, but replace your spam attack with a combo or two.

The main difference is WoW updates roughly seven trillion times more frequently and trusts the client more, so combat feels more responsive and for a topical example dodging AoE a second in advance means you've actually dodged it which is not always the case in 14. To actually answer your question though, WoW has a lot more complex class mechanics revolving around a lot of random procs or other things that change what you should be pressing on the fly. Encounter design also requires reactive play to things that happen. The idea of mapping out what buttons you'll press for optimal dps throughout an entire savage fight is mind boggling to someone used to WoW.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Impermanent posted:

the thing that's confusing is that there's usually a delay between the big warning orange aoe disappearing in sync with the castbar completing --> the AoE damage blast. The AoE damage blast feels like that's when you should have to have moved out by, but its wrong. It's the castbar completing/AoE depletion thing. Yes, this is weird and feels bad. But it is also the way that it is.

The game is also just slow to update your positioning. Even understanding that spells are resolved the instant the cast finishes and at the very start/before the actual animation, it's routine to be hit by things you've dodged on your screen with time to spare. Everyone learns to dodge with even more time to spare. It's a hell of a lot better than it was in ARR (for a lot of people largely thanks to the server move, but also they did some upgrades at some point to how the server determines your position) but it's still glacial compared to WoW.

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm trying not to add too much to this WoWtalk but this doesn't really ring true for me, I did recently try WoW for about a month and while I only played hunter and druid neither seemed to have "a lot more complex class mechanics" than anything in FFXIV. I can't speak to encounter design too much, but the class design wasn't anything radically different. I mean the red mage is all about reacting to procs/a not-strict rotation depending on the status of your black/white gauge and it's considered one of the simpler FFXIV classes. Even as summoner with a stricter rotation based around timers you're going to want to drop Ruin IIIs for Ruin IVs reactively when they proc so you don't "waste" procs (at least currently, the stacking of Further Ruin procs in Shadowbringers may change this), as Ruin IV is significantly higher in potency.

14 has been moving to a more often relevant priority system and more reactionary decision making since the 2.0 launch but it's still far more rigid in both class mechanics and encounter design. It remains major difference in gameplay. I would also say bard is the most alike due to the number of spinning plates to manage and different procs.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Second boss of ghimlyt dark's fire laser thing, the lingering fire will still kill you if you run back in. They're exceptions though. e: oh i dont think that one has a ground marker now that i think of it

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

This is the ideal state of desynthesis. You may not like it, but this is what peak shb preparation looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Who hurt you

It's not even that bad, and you make money doing it. Leveling fish desynth past ~325 though... that's a bit too real for a joke grind for me.