Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just play red mage, we have sick nasty heals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Still miss old Merlwyb. I'm used to the new va but she doesn't sound like she just got done smoking a whole box of cigars after getting back from the gym (she works out by shooting people) anymore

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I like Red Mage. It's fun.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

You're overthinking it. Here's the optimal RDM play pattern as best anyone can tell:

1a) Build to 40/41 (or whatever combination puts you above 40/40, less than 50/50, and has some amount of imbalance)
1b) Weave oGCDs during this, including Corps-a-corps and Displacement
2) Manafication
3) Corps in, do melee combo, Displacement out, Verflare/Verholy based on which mana is lower.
4a) Build to 80/81 (or whatever)
4b) Weave oGCDs while doing this
5) Go do melee combo

then repeat 4-5 until Manafication is available. There's a bit of subtly in when to use Embolden I guess but that's pretty much it.

This is the right explanation. Remember that manafication resets the timers on corps-a-corps and displacement so ideally you wanna give the enemy a little tickle with them before getting to 40/41 or whatever, manaficating to double your mana and resetting both timers, then going in for a full melee combo.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's also optimal to avoid hitting 100/100 since you get that proc from holy/flare if your mana is imbalanced. But once you hit 100/100 you can't imbalance it again.

E: I guess you could cast a veraero or something after your melee combo but I can't remember if that ruins your ability to cast holy/flare

Yeah I mean if you reallllly want to go into melee imbalanced from 100/100 you could probably do a single riposte then do a jolt and aero but that's really unnecessary, the only thing imbalance does is give you a proc for that type of mana from the right finisher so it's a waste of time.

E not calling anyone in the conversation dumb, just saying that while imbalance is the right thing to do it's not that big of a deal to gently caress it up. Red Mage is really hard to gently caress up in a big way, the only way to be a bad rdm is hitting nothing but one mana type and never using an ogcd.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 26, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

MikeyLikesIt posted:

I want her to burn me with the hot ashes from her cigarette pipe and tell me I'm garbage.

Again, that's more Merlwyb's thing

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

RDM is just really easy. I don't mean this as a pejorative, just that people are finding optimal rotations and able to pull them off much earlier than the other jobs. Wait a month and if RDM is still consistently performing that well relative to other jobs (assuming good players are playing both) then maybe there's something there, but I don't think existing numbers suggest RDM is overtuned.

Right about this too. Smn took like weeks of playing with before I felt comfortable doing stuff without fear of buffs and dots falling off at the wrong time, and that was after playing sch for a couple months. Red Mage is always doing about 75% of its max by just not being asleep. I was instantly comfortable with it by 70 and the only optimizations are tricks like the corps/displacement before manafication thing, loving up dualcast/mana as little as possible, and using swiftcast to fish for procs every now and then.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
The poison does hurt and made my sick dps lower bc I had to spam vercure every now and then. This was unforgivable so I destroyed it with antidote.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Being able to share kills is the biggest drat improvement to mmo design since its inception. I spent 6 hours trying to do a quest in the second Tauren area with 4 friends and a ton of random players.

Also I like that people are trying to be more realistic with blue mage expectations in here but you also gotta remember that they're gonna want to future-proof the job by not tying specific abilities to specific quests so that they can move quest reward skills around and plan for possibly combining skills later on and stuff.

For that reason, I feel like Blu could be more of a hunt-themed class. Like, they could flesh out the storylines behind specific famous hunt monsters and have you face them in instances and stuff. They probably won't tie specific monsters to specific abilities except in ability flavor text.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
She has a bad rear end cutscene in 1.0 of her doing sweet flips while blowing up some garlean machines with giant bullets from her gun's and I want to marry her.

E: found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvXSHLPB1aM

Jinh fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 29, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, really the worst it ever got was the CUL capstone quest where you prepare a feast for the Sultana while she was "dead". You never see an actually dead NPC showing up in a sidequest later.

As a side effect, it does also mean that any NPC that is involved in any sidequest ever is effectively immortal.

Yep, sadly, unless they create tech to replace characters in side quests with lower ranked npcs who can perform a similar role. You could be serving a feast for a high-ranking merchant if the queen is dead. Boring, but plausible.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mean they could say gently caress it and let the incompatibility slide, but I think it would give Koji Fox an aneurysm.

Be nice to Koji.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Agreed that I would absolutely love personal Lbs even if they're only marginally better than the amount of dps I would have been able to do in the same amount of time.

And I steal rdm bard and smn LB every chance I get as long as I don't think we need it for anything else. I got to feel the rdm LB the second day of playing it when I did susano, it owns bones.

Bard/mch also never ever gets to use theirs, except in extremely rare boss fights to take out adds that spawn far from the boss. it's not like it really matters in face roll 24-mans. Those bosses have so much hp and are being hit by so many people that at most a melee LB shaves off about a second compared to caster.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

Limit breaks aren't (rightfully) credited to you in ACT so you should never use them or else you'll ruin your hot deeps.

I'm the smelliest sweatiest ACT parsing try-hard when it comes to dungeons and 24-mans because I love huge numbers, but I'm an even bigger fan of looking extremely drat cool at the expense of trashing my parse or possibly even dying.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like the level=timeline idea

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Haquer posted:

Man I'm glad I had those pubbies there to help me, oh--

:laffo:

Is that low of a parse even possible on rdm? I'm gonna go home and full cast Veraero for a while to see. I can imagine that less than 300 Is probably literally just autoattacking

E: oh they were casting verfloor

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah larryzaur is extremely meme heavy but that's an uncharacteristically serious and good overview of the job at 70. It kinda made me wanna pick it up again.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Every once in a while if I think a tank is too big for his britches I'll save up for 75+ mana, wait for him to pull a large pack, then Embolden, Enchanted Moulinet, Manafication, and 3xEnchanted Moulinet with a Contre Sixte before he settles in

If I'm still alive five seconds later I concede the victory :v:

It's slightly slower but if you hit 100/100 then 2x enchanted moulinet then use scatter twice to get over 45 before manafication you can do 3 more for a total of 5 plus contre sixte

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

DPSes who do not manage their aggro are Actually loving Awful.

1300 potency in the first half second of the fight is too much for you, you little baby?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Mmo pvp with a billion buttons is insanely hot garbage and im glad it's 3 buttons now. It's more about what you can see they have job-wise and positioning-wise rather than what cooldowns they might have, and that's good.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
After watching the documentary I have an appreciation for the people who played and liked 1.0 better even if they're still obviously wrong. All 15 of them. Their wallets helped keep SE floating while they started the process of building ARR

The real dumb people are the ones who never played 1.0 but still think it's better. And the 2-3.x pvp preferrers

Jinh fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 4, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did they actually add a bit of str to tank accessories like the patch notes sort of imply with the "stat changes to equipment" bit?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

I understand why you liked old pvp, even though I prefer the new one. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Whoa dude calm down it doesn't have to come to this

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Some newbie questions:

Are retainer ventures worth it? Turned my first retainer into a conjurer and have been sending her on field expeditions, since conjurer/white mage is the only class I've leveled extensively so far.

Company seals, what's the best use for them? I heard in guildchat that they're used to by venture tokens, but I've spent most of mine leveling up gc rank to private first class. How important are they and what's their best use for a newbie?

Is there any particular use for gathering classes if I've always hated crafting in MMOs? Thinking about maybe trying fishing as a change of pace and to relax some, and I heard mention it rewards minions and whatnot.

Finally, is there anything in particular I should be saving gold for? Only really using it for teleports and turkeyports so far.

Extremely yes. It's a bit like gambling but quick ventures can bring back a very wide variety of items and are the only way of getting the rare dyes. Hunting ventures can save you a little farming too.

Gathering is pretty good money as long as you're not going for huge ticket items that everyone is fighting over. It's cake to spend a half hour or so watching a YouTube video and gathering many many logs that sell for 1k+ each.

And Gil is mostly for housing and buying expensive glamour stuff, although teleport fees are getting steep lately its not a real issue.

Couldn't tell you what the best GC item is though. Coke used to be hot for housing construction but it's next to nothing on the mb on Hyperion right now. Ventures are always good.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

I got the minion warhammer 40k guy last night so basically I won this stupid game and am free to play something else now.

I figured it was more like doomguy. RIP AND TEAR!

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

SonicRulez posted:

Speaking of extra dialogue, I forgot to ask after I got through it. How's the Steppe if you're a dragon?

I think they mention "even if you're not from here, one of your ancestors was" and that's it

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I remember something along the lines of carbuncles being made entirely out of extremely complicated geometry with a small amount of aether applied. Basically I think the whole point of arcanist and its 2 jobs is finding creative efficient ways of using their own aether to achieve the desired results rather than slamming people with magic the way whm and blm do. The book is like a diary combined with a cheat sheet.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 7, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I want a full susano gear set, the weapon is badass. Also, got my first three clears of susano ex yesterday! Turns out when I'm not using all my dualcasts to rez people we do a lot more damage!

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sekiseigumi for life
:japan:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
The ARR theme was used in t13, heavensward was used in the 3.5 boss, so it's all but certain that we'll get a full stormblood theme as part of a boss fight at the end of the expansion as a capstone like usual.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the structure we expect is just the baseline, we know and expect them to keep adding other stuff as well. On the flip side I have confidence in the main features of patches but the side content is often pretty iffy.

I believe they will make an active and long lasting diadem this time solely because the relic comes from it so people are forced to go. I hope they make it more of a solo thing though, so you can enter it like a normal zone *then* group up. needing a party to enter sucks. Full disclosure I actually liked New diadem but nobody wants to do it with me.

From recent interviews, blitzball is looking more and more like a sure thing. I wanna be excited for it since I put tens of hours in it in FFX but at the same time I dont know if it will make the transition to mmo very well and worry it will wind up as an esoteric mess of recruitment and skill shot hell. Even if it takes the ffx2 approach I still don't know.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 11, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah and aquapolis and potd are fun as hell to me, potd because I go 51-100 instead of 51-60 every time so at some point I do actually have to turn my brain on a little.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have a lot of fond memories of just walking around the world taking screenshots. The black shroud is very colorful but limsa is by far my favorite area

Imagine my surprise when I didn't know summerford farms or the entire map it's based in existed because there are no MSQs that go there. I didn't unlock that aetheryte until months after hitting 50. It's so pretty though, with a full view of the main city lit up at night :kimchi:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had heard rumors before SB dropped that we were getting level sync without losing abilities and I was super drat hype for it. Ah well.

I mean it kinda makes sense, the only way to make it so a level 15 blm and a levelsynced 70 blm do the same damage (so as not to entirely break dungeons) is to heavily nerfed the potency of every move the 70 character has while synced and to scale the potency downgrades as you sync to different levels. It would be a lot of work and would cause bad 70 bards for example to actually do way worse damage than a naturally level 15 bard who just heavy shots through the whole dungeon.

Level sync works amazingly in guild wars 2 but it's something that I don't think would translate well here.

E: plus turning every dungeon into a praetorium "gently caress you new player" speed run is an atrocious idea and would exacerbate the problems that players leveling tanks face.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 12, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
2017 and people are STILL surprised that ff14 is a different game from 11 and doesn't reference it at every opportunity.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah that was rude sorry

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is wow also getting ddos'd right now? Cuz we are and gw2 is, guess someone is super mad at video games

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna spend all drat weekend making insane hotbar stuff happen. I'd love to make a "combat mode" hotbar swapper that gets rid of everything extraneous like my 4 bars full of emotes, job switching buttons, and stuff like meld/dye

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYToDRSELLI
Found this if you're the video guide type, it's from a couple months ago so not crazy old like a lot of the reddit posts on the subject

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

Stormblood is unmitigated garbage because it made a complete mockery of my RP buoyancy tier lists which undid literally hundreds of my fanfics in an instant.

Your stories will always be canon to me, gently caress SE for messing with perfection