Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

So for 5.1 we have New Game+, Blue Mage content, and the Ishgard Restoration project in addition to what normally comes in x.1 patches. That seems like quite a bit, here's hoping nothing gets pushed back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

When did we learn about new BLU content in 5.1?

Yoshida mentioned it in one of the many recent interviews floating around when asked about blue mage.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 17, 2019

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

If anything gets pushed to 5.15 or so it'll probably be the Ishgard crafting thing so people can do the story before they have to login at 4am or whatever so they don't fall behind in rankings.

Nessus posted:

Horses exist but aren’t extant as draft animals in Eorzea. The Doman refugees coin “horsebird” which is also used in the east.

Yeah just recently I did some quest that I think was a Warrior job quest where I rode a horse around in the Azim Steppe.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zoig posted:

So im still confused about this early access deal even though i was there for stormbloods. i got my copy through steam and got my pre order goodies, am i good to go, is it the other code that just says shadowbringers that doesnt work yet, or it it some other deal? Also am i screwed if i dont get this working before access starts?

You should be able to check your account status on Mog Station and it will say whether or not you have early access unlocked, but I don't think you can register the game proper yet.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Cabbit posted:

Probably a question that's been answered somewhere else, but Reddit is annoying to try and find answers to poo poo on: what's the best way to grind out crafter levels when you've burnt through leves and crafter dailies? Is it worth it to get the completion bonus on everything in the crafting log, or should I just be slamming out ingots and rivets and other poo poo like that and throwing them on the market board to try and recoup the cost?

I've got CUL at 50, WVR at 44, CRP and BSM in the mid 30s, and everything else at least 15, so I figure I might as well start pushing to hit 50 on everything at the very least.

The grand company supply/provisioning turn-ins give amazing EXP (especially for HQ), but they're only once per day so they only get you so far so fast. And you're too low for collectables I believe, so I'm not really sure you have any options other than straight grinding after leves are exhausted.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 17, 2019

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I don't think I could ever bring myself to Fantasia, I've had my lalafell since ARR came around and I feel too much like she's a character in the world now. I used my free ones to do some minor facial/hair adjustments (hair before the stylist was added). I don't really ever even feel like I want to change race.

Also, lalafells have the best emotes.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

sudo rm -rf posted:

also is there any reason i shouldn't buy the ff14 complete edition on steam? it has the base game and stormblood

It really depends on if you can get the base game cheaper; each expansion gives you all previous expansions and a new expansion is dropping in less than two weeks. So it's not worth paying extra for Stormblood if you can just get Shadowbringers later and get Stormblood with it, as you surely won't exhaust all the base game content in that time. Plus if you decide the game isn't for you then you haven't paid any extra.

Basically I wouldn't pay for Stormblood now since Shadowbringers is so close, just get the base game and buy Shadowbringers later if you're enjoying it.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 18, 2019

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

that one lady in the ivalice raid quests says she thought you'd be taller even as a hulking roe and this is how koji betrayed me

I think that line gets repeated a few times. Fran also says it.

As a lalafell it was more like "and what were you expecting"?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ort posted:

One itch that FFXIV can’t scratch for me is the ability to make your character feel like your own, beyond cosmetics. There’s basically no customization that impacts gameplay, no choice you make as a player that makes your monk any different from any other monk.

This is by design of course and makes it easy for them to balance their game and cater to people less familiar with MMOs, but that has always been the most core part of MMOs I’ve enjoyed before. Wonder if they’ll ever introduce anything like that.

I don't really see much benefit to this in a game where you can change classes with the press of a button. There's only so much mechanical variety to be had and in XIV it's all in your choice of job, which seems as good a place to have it as any.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

Good thing they chucked that garbage onto dnc.

Dancer's mechanic isn't quite the same, it's more like red mage procs than anything. You can still do your basic ST/AoE combos on dancer without any procs.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dissipation has a small change I believe in that your fairy now automatically returns when the effect ends. It still seems strange with scholar losing Energy Drain or good ways to "dump" aetherflow stacks.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

This is the first time ARR primals would be excluded under those rules however, and that's a lot of potential glamour lost. I don't know if they will add Dancer/Gunbreaker weapons to those primals, but it's something that they didn't have to deal with for RDM/SAM since those started at 50.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Imagine having a 1-2-3 rotation but it's 2 minutes long, relies on you caring how much time some abilities have left on cooldown, and includes loving Addle. That's 70 SMN.

I am extremely hype for new SMN

I'm hype for SMN but I think it's going to get more complex and take more planning/timing based on what we're seeing. The large potency difference between Ruin III and Ruin II means that a SMN needs to take care when weaving or moving, as replacing too many IIIs with IIs will be a big damage loss. However, the player also has more control over Ruin IV procs (and they can now be stacked), which means the player wants to trigger them and save them for weaving/movement. This of course presents some difficulty that while Dreadwyrm Trance allows for easy weaving with instant cast Ruin IIIs, SMN can't weave Egi Assaults during Firebird Trance because Phoenix replaces the Egi. I haven't done a timeline, but I'm wondering if it's possible to line up Energy Drain/Aetherflow control so we can cram in 3-4 Festers and Energy Drain during Firebird Trance, because that'd be ideal. I also feel that having a demi-summon active more often along with the Ruin potency changes will make SMN less mobile.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Leal posted:

Huh, how did I never catch this reference my first go around?

E: Its a Tactics Ogre reference, Obda is a unique gryphon. Also how the hell does firefox not have gryphon in its dictionary, and why is the suggested word "entryphone" :psyduck:

"Griffin" is how I see it in most non-Warcraft places. FFXIV goes with "griffin". Probably why Firefox doesn't recognize it.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 20, 2019

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I'm not sure if yall mean this in a good way or a bad way.

Personally I found Blue Mage fun to play for the week or two worth of content that it had, but the real problem is that it really is only a week or two worth of content since you can't use it for endgame activities or most forms of farming/grinding.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

mrfishstick posted:

Why would fester or energy drain under Firebird Trance matter? Phoenix, like Bahamut only procs his attack on GCD abilities. The restriction on gaining aetherflow while under Dreamwyrm Trance was removed as well. As far as I can tell, there won’t be any real advantage to ever holding onto either trance or Bahamut summon unless an intermission is about to trigger.

It's about weaving. You want to use Fester, Energy Drain, and Egi Assault (and other oGCDs) while also using instant cast spells, and Ruin II is now a much bigger potency loss than it was before. It follows that if you can save your oGCDs for Trance phases or Ruin IV procs without affecting your total number over the fight, you should, because a trance makes your spells instant cast. Currently its Ruin II (100 potency) vs Ruin III (120 potency), but in Shadowbringers based on the media tour numbers it's Ruin II (180 potency) vs Ruin III (250 potency). It's an optimization thing that may not matter as much for most players, and the numbers may change from the media build, but that's based on the info we have right now.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Is Ishgarde housing supposed to be a component of the restoration stuff? I can't remember if that's something they outright said/hinted at, or just something players have inferred, because I don't think I've seen it come in up the recent talks about the restoration stuff getting added in 8.1

I'm still not clear on what the restoration entails, beyond something for crafters & gatheres to engage with, because they also mentioned seasons, implying some sort of periodic reset. Will there be parts of Ishgarde that get a Doma / Idllyshire style progression of repairs?

All of that is basically up in the air right now. We haven't been told many specifics. The housing stuff comes from a comment that was something to the effect of "will there be housing in Ishgard?" "that's up to the players". As for the latter part, it seems like it but it'll be more server-dependent progression of the restoration process than individual progression.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I do expert roulettes as a caster, and I try my best to remember to use LB on trash but I forget fairly often. Usually because I'm half-zoned out and just kinda doing my rotation while also listening to a podcast or something. It actually annoys me a bit that I forget to use it. At least in Ghimlyt Dark I can use it on the last boss to some effect at the very end.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Potato Jones posted:

Horrible gremlins, filthy lucre:

Someone get that cat away from the fishtank, it's scaring the catfish in there

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

HELLO LADIES posted:

To other people playing potatoes, do you get a lot of people doing /pat and other creepy emotes at you when you're just minding your business in-world, or is playing on a Preferred server maybe skewing my experience? I guess it's nice that people will occasionally actually acknowledge each other's existence in dungeons, but I'm really not enjoying this whole aspect of FFXIV being "more community-focused" than WoW at the moment. I don't want to have creepy weirdos doing poo poo in my general direction when I'm just minding my own business and doing stuff solo.

My experience is that there's the occasional /pet but that's pretty much it. I don't think I've had an experience I can call "creepy".

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I don't afk in Limsa anymore because I got like 2-3 creepy whispers like every month.

You know, I've never really hung around in Limsa Lominsa because it always seemed so crowded and Ul'dah has always just been my go-to location. Maybe that's why my female lalafell is relatively creep-free.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Moon Flute from Blue Mage is similarly excellent

One of my favorite things about Blue Mage (yes haha) is how many spells you can just spam with no target while sitting in town.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Solitair posted:

Does anyone know what kind of gear Dancers get yet? I probably don't have time to craft any before early access, but I'm curious.

Aiming.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

through the end of the dwarf part of MSQ, and then Fantasiaing to Hrothgar, right.

tbh I'm still surprised people actually want to play Hrothgar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

For what it's worth, they've fixed those issues in FFXI too :v:

Not sure about the learning curve (XI still has tons of hidden/not obvious information and systems being an utterly ancient game), but inability to solo yeah.