Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Does anyone use the Mac version? I have a Mac but I use bootcamp to play on Windows, but I've been thinking of just getting the Mac version. I know it used to be terrible and that SE offered refunds to anyone who bought it or something like that, but hopefully it's actually playable now. I'm planning on eventually getting a gaming laptop since I have zero interest in a desktop, but those things are kind of expensive so it'll probably be a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Cu Chulainn posted:

Yoooooo what coat is that

I think it's called the Field Commander's coat. You can find it under the achievements tab for Frontlines. I forget how many matches you need to win for the coat, but it's at least 50. I prefer Seal Rock over shatter so it's no big deal to me.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Derised posted:

Hey, has anyone had any success transferring expansion licenses between Mac and PC? I recently got back into it and found out that I have a Mac license for Heavensword but I'm now on PC. I'd prefer to not buy another license if I can but I'm currently on day 2 of waiting for a word back from customer support and I'm starting to get a little anxious :ohdear:

I switched from PC to Mac and had to rebuy everything. I did get an extra free month through buying the Mac version of ARR. But yeah, unless they changed something recently you will have to buy everything again.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Mung Dynasty posted:

So the only way I can get my neato witch dress is by doing hunts? And each hunt only gives like 5 seals? And I need 70 something for a single piece? Am I reading this right? Is life really this terrible?

HW plus SB daily hunts give you something like 200+ seals a day. It’s not really that big a deal. Although I believe you need to be level 67 or so to unlock the 3-Star SB hunts.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Four: Maps are literally only fun if set to free-for-all-loot, otherwise you find yourself secretly hoping everyone else's map is a dud so you can leave faster, which is obviously a negative influencer on how much you enjoy it.

Yeah, free-for-all is the only way to go. I remember I did some maps with goons during HW and it was exclusively owner needs, everyone else greeds. I actually got told off once for saying I was fine with everyone needing on my map because that wasn’t the “correct” way of doing things. Fortunately, it seems like everyone does FFA these days. Besides the reason you mentioned, it also cuts down on the people who mysteriously have something come up right after they finish doing their own map.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Phone posted:

I'm gonna buck the thread's suggestions and say unlock all of the crafting and gathering classes now and do daily GC turn ins for xp and seals. There's a challenge log entry for turning in 10 items a week as well as entries for crafting items or gathering at nodes; this will inch you closer to the 10k Gil payouts for doing 5, 10, or 15 entries. The GC seals will help you level up your rank with your GC, and the gil payouts will basically cover the costs of whatever materials you're buying from vendors or off of the market board.

Crafting is a deep dark hole to fall down, but unlocking it only costs time at the lower levels and brain space for this round of characters in the world.

Yeah, this is what I would recommend too. Unlocking them doesn't take very long at all. I thought it was way easier to just slowly level my crafter/gatherer classes up as I played instead of waiting until I got to a certain level to start them. A lot of the low level GC turnins you can just buy from the market board or buy the mats for them from a vendor, so you don't even really have to do any real work.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Nah, it’s only for FCs right now. I tried to buy a medium in the Mist and it said buying personal homes is disabled currently. But there are definitely a lot of smalls and some mediums available right now. I only looked at half of the Mist, so I bet the others have a lot too.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

queeb posted:

female sundrop dance is weak poo poo

I was really confused that the sundrop dance was supposed to be intimidating when doing the Vanu quests until I saw what the male version looked like.

Yes, I know it’s based on a real dance. It still sucks.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Rhjamiz posted:

When I want durability, maneuverability, and of course, comfort, I know I can count on my French Wedge, Le Crevasse Edition.

The male bathing suit top is definitely the most ridiculous piece of clothing in the game. I just love that it (and whatever the thigh part is) somehow makes the outfit even skimpier looking than if it were just a speedo.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

In regards to the Ul'dah HW plot, I was more disappointed that Nanamo just changes her mind about stepping down. "Actually, she was just sleeping!" was pretty dumb too, but I thought her stepping down could have been an interesting direction to take. But I don't recall it ever being brought up again, although it has been a while since I played through that. Although, it does seem like they're trying to make her more of an actual character now rather than just a prop for Raubahn, so maybe that could be cool too.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Wasn't that Alisaie quote actually in response to Alphinaud? Because that's completely understandable if so.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yay! Wow those credits came out of nowhere. So I'm starting on 4.0 quests now!

So We never knew the real Yda, right? ARR to Omega was less than six years lore wise, yeah?

E: nevermind, talking to Tataru after the credits answered that one

Yeah, I still think the Yda/Lyse reveal was pretty underwhelming. Like, it's not much of a reveal or surprise given that we never met the real Yda and she was never actually a character in the game. I never found "Yda" to be a very interesting character, she was basically just the comic relief. But I still don't find Lyse to be all that compelling either, despite so much of Stormblood focusing on her. Fordola's way cooler. Same with Hien and Yotsuyu though, so maybe I just like villains better.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Ah well, in that case I can see how it would be disappointing. While I didn't particularly care for the Ala Mhigo portion of SB, I don't think it's terrible or anything, I just didn't think it was as good as HW. Although, I am starting to like what they've done with Lyse in the most recent patches, but I guess you haven't gotten there yet, so I'll leave that for you to find out.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So after rewatching a bunch of cutscenes I have determined that the best character is, in fact, Nero. Even though I keep forgetting who he is in between his appearances. They should make a magitech class with a big-rear end gunhammer or whatever the hell he uses. They should also kick Thancred out of the Scions and replace him with Nero.

I hope he’s ok :ohdear:.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

E:I'm a dumbass he does use a hammer

I think he started out with a gunblade. But then he switched to the gunhammer, which is way more cool/stupid.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

TheHeadSage posted:

Now that he's Eorzean Iron Man I hope he gets a bigger role on team WoL when we go topple Garlemald.

The Scions really need some new blood these days. Alisaie has been a good addition, and Hoary Boulder is still around of course. But I really think they would benefit from adding an rear end in a top hat who only cares about himself and robots.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The Warriors of Darkness plot really seemed like it got cut down a lot. I would've liked to see more of them. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up revisiting them and Minfillia at some point later on though.

Best part of the WoD story was the reveal that Urianger is actually sexy.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, I believe they also show him without it at some point in Stormblood and it's working fine then too. Or at least it looks normal.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I've since switched out the blindfold for shades.

I get a lot of weird tells.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Bolow posted:

Well housing demolition is on hold until who the gently caress knows when in NA. Once it resumes. You only have to do the folllowing

Did they put it on hold recently or have I just not been paying attention? I canceled my sub earlier this month because all I was doing was logging on and then logging off like three minutes later. I have a house in Shirogane that I don’t really want to lose though, so I was planning on coming back sometime before that. I mean, I will probably be back to check out blue mage for a little bit in January so I guess it doesn’t matter that much but it would be nice if I didn’t have to deal with this 90 day timer thing.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

Does it matter which FC? Just noticed theres 3 (assuming thats due to caps on the number of members?).

Yes, it matters a lot. You have to be really cool and/or cute to be in DGKK or whatever their name is at the moment. Having a food-related name helps too.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I thought 13 had some bosses just cast doom and kill everyone if you take too long. Which you can easily avoid if you engage with the mechanics, but I guess some people prefer not to do that and to also not have any fun. Like in the case of 13, it’s actually much easier and less effort overall if you do try, so why wouldn’t you?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

My only wish for 4.5 is to make all clothes gender neutral, so I can sample all the fabulous female-locked apparel.

This, but so that I can wear pants occasionally instead of booty shorts.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Verranicus posted:

Goons think if they didn't like something surely it means nobody else did. With regards to BLU I mean. It did fine and will continue to do so.

Um actually the opinions of myself and the small group of people I play with extrapolate perfectly onto the entire game population. I really can’t believe I need to explain this to you.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Ohtsam posted:

I wonder if with the new game+ option they'll let you pay to unlock old seasonal events if you weren't around from the first time as an alternative to buying the items from the event in the cash shop

(Probably wouldn't work due to all the seasonal fates)

I will always be upset about not having the starlight tights from the 2014 event. They aren’t available on mogstation either as far as I’m aware unless I’ve somehow missed them this entire time. They really need to add the outfit and flying nimbus mount from that amazon promotion a few years ago too.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Well I guess I did somehow miss them this entire time. Or maybe I just didn’t want to pay for them, who knows. I still want my flying cloud though, SE!

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I thought pureblood Garleans were actually a fairly small subset of Garlemald. Or at least not an overwhelming majority. They're the majority when it comes to ruling positions, but the empire itself contains all sorts of people. Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie are all from Garlemald, but they're not pureblooded Garleans. So I can see them having aetherytes here and there, if only for the conscripted part of the military to use at least

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think this goes to show just how terrible 1.0 must have been if 2.0 was considered fun and good at the time. I liked 2.0 for the most part when I played it, but I also hadn't played a whole lot of MMOs before so I didn't really mind how slow it was. I made a new character a while ago because I wanted to be a catboy but I didn't want to use my fantasia. I'm still level 17 because I just can't make myself go through everything again.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Best thing so far is Urianger's new look. I like the other new costumes too. I will unlock Gunbreaker and play it for a week then just use it for dress-up.

I really hope they have male Vieras because gender-locked races are stupid. Even though I'm never switching from my lady elf.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Cabbit posted:

Just when you thought RDM couldn't get any more sweet:

I'm getting pretty tired of the short skirt/thigh high boots combo when the male version always has pants instead. They should let everyone wear all the cool pants/skirts they want.

I like the hat though.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I remember trying to create an SE account when I first got the game, but it wouldn’t send me a confirmation email like it said it would. Retrying didn’t do anything and it wasn’t in any of my spam folders. After googling about it I realized I had actually created an account way back in the FFXI days that I hadn’t ever used and forgotten about. Apparently saying “This email is already in use” like literally every other site is too complicated for SE.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Tidus is cool. Tidus has always been cool.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I seem to remember hearing about a Mac version of this years ago- does that actually perform well? I kind of get the impression that it doesn't.

I've always played on a Macbook Pro and I've found the Mac version is perfectly fine. I used the Windows version via Bootcamp for a long time but I eventually got tired of that and switched to the Mac version. I haven't noticed any difference between the two. Apparently the Mac version used to be really lovely but I haven't had any issues in the two years I've been using it. You do generally have to have a pretty new Mac or be fine playing on lower settings though. You also have to rebuy everything, but at least you get an extra 30 days free for it.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Overall, the 2.x quest design loving sucks in general. There are way too many "Find five people in this giant orange circle that spans the whole zone." I can't wait to repeat that with the moogle quests.

These were the loving worst. I swear they intentionally made it so all of them but one would be easy to find and then the last would always be on the very outer edge of the circle in a corner somewhere. I still remember that one quest I had to look up the locations for because one of them was on top of some random pipe way up in the air.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

DizzyBum posted:

These have never completely gone out of style. The circle is almost always drawn in such a way that all targets are near the outside edges of the ring.

And yeah, they got more annoying once HW introduced the Z-axis!

Yeah, they've gotten so predictable with it that it's not much of a hassle most of the time, but it's still probably my least favorite kind of quest. Finding some of those moogles was a pain in the rear end though.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh okay I was...Like I don't even have the overlay enabled most of the time because I don't wanna accidentally pull it up mid raid somehow.

This is the most non-issue change. Steam has me logged in automatically cause it's where I have most of my games so it's literally just 2 extra buttons to press at most before getting to the launcher.

I admit I don't use steam, but all the "never use steam!!" stuff has always been a little weird to me. Like yeah, you can probably get non-steam versions a little cheaper if you're willing to wait and shop around, but you're also only buying something like once every two years so who cares. The fact that they're split is kind of confusing though, but I assume that was SE's decision to do that.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yoshi-P and Mr. Naoki Yoshida are two sides of the same coin, like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

You should really only use macros for crafting and some specific battle skills and maybe some other things I don't know about. I guess you could use them for everything if you're fine with being a lot worse than you need to be, but I don't know why you would be fine with that. It's not even about min-maxing, I am the least min-maxing person ever, it's just a bad idea and you shouldn't do it. IIRC, the developers intentionally made it like that to dissuade people from macroing their entire rotation.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I can’t believe this game expects me to actually play it instead of automatically doing everything for me!

But for real, if you just want to macro all your abilities to one or two buttons and that’s it then this probably isn’t the game for you. There’s plenty of other games out there for that. Personally, I think that sounds really boring, but then again I do really like FF12 so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

My favorite bad macro story is the guy who came in here to say he’d macroed all of the flank-hitting skills on monk to one button and all of the rear ones on another. He only had to move once, it made it so much easier!