Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I hate giving other players resources since it gives them an advantage over me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Arcanists gain their power looking at circles in the book

strong bird
May 12, 2009

It's why the powerful spell animations involve closing the book, it's so they can look at the circle again afterwards

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Remember when they added spells with long cooldowns that are dependent on pet AI, and if the pet decides not to follow the command, the spell goes on cooldown?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

That wasn't even close to the point I was trying to make. Thanks for trying.

Whats it like being an insufferable retard all the god drat time

e: btw its not a mirror, my monitor is on, my sound card works perfectly, and my drivers are all updated

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Gotcha bitch

strong bird
May 12, 2009

This is the round-robin cycling hotbar I use for gear sets, emotes etc

I recommend using JOBS instead of CLASSES like I have for CNJ and PGL but I'm too lazy to change it right now.

code:
Page 1 CNJ (gear sets)
Page 2 MCH (gear sets continued & special unlocked emotes)
Page 3 AST (yellow emotes)
Page 4 WAR (gray emotes)
Page 5 PGL (blue emotes and key items (wonderous tails, hunt garbage))

Place items to be copied on shared hotbar #10 (Hide this after)
Items will be copied to hotbar #9

CNJ to MCH (1 to 2)
/hotbar copy MCH 10 share 9

MCH to AST (2 to 3)
/hotbar copy AST 10 share 9

AST to WAR (3 to 4)
/hotbar copy WAR 10 share 9

WAR to PGL (4 to 5)
/hotbar copy PGL 10 share 9

PGL to CNJ (5 to 1)
/hotbar copy CNJ 10 share 9

You can reverse the direction with another set of emotes so you don't have to scroll through the entire thing.

strong bird fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 13, 2017

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Malthuras posted:

I had a susano ex party where one dude literally refused to watch any videos, he's like "Others didn't so why should I?" Oh I don't know so you don't waste a whole party's time because you have no loving clue what you're doing.

I hate pubbies.

I cleared all the content this patch blind

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I haven't had any problem with abilities sneaking into the hotbars, maybe because it's always full or because it's hotbar 9 and 10

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Jinh posted:

I'm gonna spend all drat weekend making insane hotbar stuff happen. I'd love to make a "combat mode" hotbar swapper that gets rid of everything extraneous like my 4 bars full of emotes, job switching buttons, and stuff like meld/dye

Adding and removing items to a hotbar is a little more complicated but if you just want a button to press to toggle hotbars:

/hotbar display X
/hotbar display X
/hotbar display X
etc

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The expanding/shrinking chain always means run away. There's a similar tether used in the liquid fire type and other places where it wants you to go toward the boss

Also a lot of people don't know you can tank the 'charge' AoE rectangle things which is a shame because it's cool

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've cleared all the content I've done (I've not been to Lak Ex yet because I'm busy and when I'm not busy I'm tired) while being dumb as gently caress.

I'm smart, cool and, within the confines of the video game, very cute.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Tanks are true scumbags......

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Anyone have a current guide to SCH? I've cleared Omega with some ease, and I'm starting to do EX Primals. Although my fight mechanics are sound, my numbers aren't where they should be, I think.

Specifically, I'm thinking I need to consult some outside resources on how to better my game - specifically on learning to take manual control of Eos. It seems daunting, but I want to read up before I make further judgments.

You can bind keys to the pet hotbars. The trouble is training yourself to remember that you're now in charge of those spells, too. Something like Advanced Combat Tracker's Special Spell Timers would be very helpful to alert you when those spells come off cooldown.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The secret rotation was just using the spell that makes coins fall out of their pockets or whatever which results in 60000 dps when there's more than 1 enemy

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Vercure and Verraise should be removed from the game.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Luceid posted:

maybe the other people in the party should suck less so i don't have to waste my mana on raising them

You appear to be confused, as your job is to damage enemies in the encounter, and not heal and revive players. I'd recommend unslotting raise if you can't handle the responsibility of not having functionally infinite mana.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I've encountered a weird bug as red mage where one of my spells costs more than No Mana. Can anyone else confirm this?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

kzin602 posted:

As a tank, It's incredibly annoying how every pubbie healer stands as far back as possible in the 4 man dungeon roulette boss arenas ensuring it's as difficult as possible for me to grab adds.

What dungeon has boss adds that automatically target the healer instead of #1 aggro (you)

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Tank stats:

Infinite health thanks to the grace of Healer
Stands rear end still pressing 2 buttons on one enemy for 5 minutes
Ignores mechanics thanks to powerful armor and health values

Healer stats:
Fragile due to cloth armoure, grace and nobility
Weight of entire party on their shoulders, needs to change targets more than once per fight
One missed mechanic spells certain doom

Hmm.. Yeah, the healers should be the one to move to the tank. Get real, kid.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The tank's responsibility is to absorb the damage directed at the party's spiritual and tactical leader, the healer, and the replaceable infantrymen, the DPS. There's no way to justify the healer or the DPS having to go out of their way to facilitate the tank's responsibility when most of the time they're just standing still hitting 1-2-3 and their 6 invulnerability buttons. Frankly, they should welcome adds spawning with aggro on someone else, since it gives them an excuse to use the movement keys.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I'm sure they had an extremely good reason to nerf mechanist and not nerf the paladin class, the samurai class, or the red mage class

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I like fister. He's good.

wtf??

strong bird
May 12, 2009

You could do something like:

Make a macro with

/battlemode
/hotbar display X
/hotbar display X
/hotbar display X

and then put it on a hotbar and bind that key to whatever you want, default is Z I think

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Verranicus posted:

::Spoiler Warning - Spoilers Everywhere::

I'm really not sure if there's another thread like this, but I kind of want to rant/leave a statement; here's the context:

Today my attention was brought to an article where someone who owned stock in Square Enix left a message on twitter saying:

"First thing in the morning tomorrow, I intend to instruct those who manage my precious Square Enix stock (however little it may be) to arrange to sell all of it. To Square, thank you for the enjoyment of your products up until now, with the exception of this last one. Goodbye."

Apparently he was referring to 1.0, and that stock turned out to be worth 26 million (or so the article says). This got me thinking: Why would anyone's faith in a functioning company shatter so completely that they would sell it all? And then I remember how much I complained about the Stormblood (SB) story, the NA server move, and the DDOS attacks, and... well... I think I understand why someone might be that upset, though probably in a different way.

I have over 2000 hours into this game and hundreds of dollars invested into my subscription... and I stretched my finances to do it (all worth it). I loved both A Realm Reborn (ARR) and Heavensward (HW): it was all so grand and fun, and the end game was challenging too. But then SB comes out and I was pumped that this was going to be the next epic chapter... except it wasn't. In fact, I often ranted in the FC chat about it (sorry everyone, you all deserved better than that).

So what happened? Why do I feel so melancholy about it? And why do I feel so disconnected from my favorite game of all time? I barely want to play it anymore, I mostly log on just to keep my grind going in case I find that spark again. My FC is on discord so if I want to communicate with them I don't even need to log into the game.

Well, I think it ultimately boils down to this: The story just sucked this time. I'm not saying there weren't good or great moments, but for the most part I've read fan fiction far above the SB story in terms of quality and content. In fact, the fact that I regularly read fan fiction is probably the reason I'm still playing this game. I've built a thick skin for poor quality content. But that's free, I pay money for FFXIV, so I just don't understand.

My annoyances can best be summed up like this: ARR was an amazing hero origin story with plenty of that "I came here to adventure" feel. The writing was stellar and you genuinely felt like you were this regular person who got caught up in things and discovered you were more than that. Working hard to do the right thing and exploring the continent as you went from place to place. The feeling was that and more, and it felt genuine. HW had you interact with a nation engaged in a massive war going on for over a thousand years and that war felt just as massive as it was told in the story. Everything felt huge and you felt like an experienced adventurer who just started to get a hang of the weight behind their fame and capabilities. You worked hard and made a big difference; and it felt like you made the difference as only a hero could. The epic war felt epic.

Then comes SB... and a large-scale war spanning the world being fought on two fronts somehow feels tiny. By the end of it I felt like I helped two small tribes and interacted with a third small tribe that was divided. What happened?

The first thing to rage about was being asked by Alphinaud what you thought on the Ala Mhigan rebellion. I was given three VAGUE options. I picked the one I thought was most in character with how I had answered questions in HW and ARR. And guess what? I get a 'sorry you feel that way' response. Not only did the response not fit any of the answers, I had now chosen a response that felt like I was playing Fallout 4. I didn't mean to say anything that implied what that response implied I said. The other times you choose words to say would mostly follow in that Fallout 4 'But I didn't want to say that!' feeling.

Then facing Xenos for the first time. He takes you down without effort and one of the characters states how useless everything you went through before is. Your esteemed allies and practiced soldiers just lose to everyone, even the foot soldiers of Garlemald. Seriously, what's the deal? You're trying to reset the novice feel? Why? Why on earth would ANYONE do that in that way, after building us up that much, now we're nothing but helpless to ONE PERSON who is HUMAN and equipped in armor that isn't that different form people we've already defeated? That was the moment where I felt further from this game than I ever have. And quite frankly, it broke my suspension of disbelief. Everything that happened afterward failed to connect with me because I was constantly thinking, "The devs want it this way, it's gonna happen this way."

Rhalgar's Reach, after 20 years of not being spotted, magically gets attacked. There is no reason for this. None. There was specific interest in quelling these rebels yet none of Xenos' men had located it despite trying. So tell me, how did they know? And don't give me that 'Fordola knew where it was' excuse. If she was blind enough to support the empire then she would have outed them years ago with the zeal she has. This is a plot hole, and it's the ONLY REASON we decide to head for Doma.

The next disappointment is the Ruby Sea. Look, the underwater parts were amazing, but it felt smaller in scope than Sastasha. To be specific, the location of the entrance to the Ruby Toll was so close to Doma that an entire sea was shrunk down to the size of a river. It felt like a river. Not a sea, a river. I just don't understand. Why did the map have to include the shore to the mainland? It would have felt so much bigger if the Ruby Sea was treated like the various maps in the Sea of Clouds: One section of many others. A new second map wasn't needed, just the illusion that the part where map was was only a small section of a larger archipelago in the middle of the sea. Have an ocean view instead of the Doma shore.

Now, until this point, a lot of my complaints could be a result of the development process not being completely in sync. However, Yotsuyu is completely on the writers. She had a legitimate reason to betray Doma, it's how she - an abused and tossed away girl - could make money and scrape out a living that was more dignified than that of a whore. She also developed a sadistic side. But no, the entire focus of her story was how all Domans deserved death and she spoke to her subordinates like she knew we were listening. That's meta (acting upon knowledge the character shouldn't have) and a poor excuse for giving her an air of mystery. I actually thought that she was born in Garlemald for how distant she seemed from "her people".

And what about Yugiri tossing all her patience to move the plot forward? She has never been that excited about anything, not even finding her master. But suddenly throws all caution to the wind for the sake of plot when it comes to attacking Xenos. I can't help but feel that 'standing up to Xenos' scene could have been accomplished more effectively (and believably) by chasing that young kid in the orange attire after hearing that he is attempting an assassination of his own.

Then we free the nation of Doma... but it really doesn't feel like it. The map is still just as quiet as when we got there. Anyway, back to Eorzea.

Where I genuinely don't care for the story anymore and just want to get it over with. My suspension of disbelief is gone, I'm expecting a disappointing conclusion, and just want to get to the EX trials.

The conclusion was actually fantastic, except everything that led up to it was less than the outcome. I wasn't fighting Xenos in the end, I was fighting a primal. So all that build up and hype, and now the final villain needs a boost to keep up with us? When did we get so strong? I can't tell because we didn't actually fight a ton of big monsters beforehand. We fought enemies that everyone knew we were better than and only pushed our capabilities twice before that. 2+2 suddenly equaled 103 and I missed how we got there. When did we add 99 to that?

And now it goes back to my initial issue. Remember that dialogue choice I talked about? I gave the vague answer that most sounded like: "What about the ascians? I'll fight in this war while nothing else comes up but we really should be putting effort into finding them. This may be a good cause, but we ultimately have bigger issues." This game lost sight of the original plot and tacked on a conversation with one ascian at the end. What happened to all the primals they were summoning to make things hard for us all throughout ARR and HW? Why is the entire base story of an official expansion I paid extra for nothing more than a sub-plot? The ascians literally did NOTHING but wait for the Emperor's scheme to take place in a success via failure conclusion.

The DDOS attacks can't be helped, there are jerks out there who do that stuff. But the server move has screwed up my ability to raid. I've given up many nights of raiding because lag (that was never an issue before the move) was getting me killed over and over. When there's that much space between you and the AOE circle on the ground (3 character steps away), and you still get killed, that's lag.

Anyway, between lag and a story that felt so poorly executed and written, I just don't really care that much anymore. Once my 6 months runs out I won't stretch my income to make the next payment, so this is my "x weeks notice" in a sense. [Congratulations!] I no longer feel any connection to what was my favorite game of all time.

There, rant over. I can finally let this go.

The time I spent before 4.0 was wonderful and I stand behind every dollar I paid, however it's just not worth it for the next round. Goodbye FFXIV, it was amazing while it lasted. Who knows, maybe 5.0 will be better?

odds of anyone reading this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uc3V8NxKWw

strong bird
May 12, 2009

level both

malefic 3 is 30 potency less than stone IV
WHM has two DoTs, one of them is AoE

holy has:
player based casting, much easier to spam
wider AoE
a Four second stun

it's weird looking at the meter and seeing the AST do both less damage and less healing than the WHM, but the parser doesnt attribute bonuses the AST gives to them so that's just how it is

strong bird
May 12, 2009

there's a weird bug in the game where they forgot to give AST a second DoT, i'm sure it will be addressed in the next odd numbered patch

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Brainamp posted:

Screw that, I want that boss to be an actual Yojimbo trial.

i dont, that fight is extremely boring

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Actually I have easily defeated the clown car giant Yojimbo and his fucktard dog in combat many times.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

If it's not the tanks and healers fault (or if you don't want to say it's their fault) then clearly every other DPS is the problem instead of yourself. You're just fine.

It's never the healer's fault, so try again, gamer.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

If you had killed the boss quicker then they wouldn't have even got to that mechanic.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

Obviously Stones 1 through 4 should never have been consolidated, Scholars should seriously puzzle over whether to cast Ruin or Broil, and weaponskill classes should just have like twenty extra "deliver an attack with 100 potency. no combo bonus." skills littering their bars in order to increase choice and lower the skill floor.

It was a bad net change since it resulted in Bio 1 being deleted.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Also, tanks are true degenerates without fail, as evidenced by this thread. Truly disgusting

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Anyone have an update on the bread

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

mol? mol. and third party tools

Rienne never changed ours so we just have the tag mol!

Coward

strong bird
May 12, 2009

If a DPS decided not to kill an enemy, or a healer decided not to heal someone, everyone would lose their minds - but a tank can opt not to tank properly and it's OK? I don't think so, buddy.

If I could, I'd institute the following failure conditions and their appropriate punishments:

DPS: Grossly sub-optimal DPS (has to level mechanist 1 level)
Healer: A player dies to trash damage (100 gil fee)
Tank: Any other player is hit by an autoattack (12 hour duty finder lockout or community service (buying glamour crystals for disadvantaged ERPers, etc))

strong bird fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 18, 2017

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Glagha posted:

Did they lose aggro? No? Then they're tanking properly.

Yes

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I'm levelling the Ninja's Class, at level 67~ I still see quite a few truly bad tanks who lose aggro on 2 enemies out of 3 and I have to be the amazing, powerful and smart hero that I am and rescue the innocent and fragile healer with my powerful Stun Move.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The tank's job is to stand still and press their three buttons so that the dragon or the little dragons do not deal 531 damage to the healer. Anything else is an innovation not intended by the developers and is not necessary, like healer damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Yeah boy