Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's also Kugane, Kugane Castle, and I want to say the Ruby Sea, too.

This is why I hang out in Ishgard or at the FC house - I can't stand the music in Kugane anymore.

World War Mammories posted:

it’s because you instinctively shy away from the wonderful notes of the internationale, you capitalist pig-dog

Tired of the music, but long live the saltery revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So, uh. I heard a thing.

That you can cheese the loving poo poo out of any jumping puzzle by using Shukuchi, and that BLU gets a skill called Loom that is Shukuchi with zero cooldown?

Please confirm.

Not sure how useful it is for cheesing (Shukuchi can be finicky about dropping you off cliffs sometimes if you try to use it to traverse jumps, but other folks may have figured out how to use it better than I), but Loom is essentially Shukuchi with a (2.5? sec) cast time and no CD, while Shukuchi is instant with a CD.

Edit: vv: Somehow I felt like it could traverse small gaps, but I could just be misremembering (or can it work when dropping from high to low?).

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 17, 2019

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Is that the one where you have to take a black chocobo porter? Edit: ^ yeah find the chocobokeep or porter guy, that should get you through. I don't think you can use the regular old exit until you have flying in the Western Highlands or some such.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
If you like a bit of RDM style sprinkled in with your tank, the Defiant Duelist gear works well. https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Defiant_Duelist_Set

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Different people like different things: News at 11.

I enjoyed Eureka enough to do 2 Pyros weapons, but there are many folks that quite vocally hate on Eureka. I cannot stand crafting, it feels WAY more grindy and boring than Eureka to me, but a lot of people seem to enjoy it.

Just because people enjoy crafting, and I do not, does not mean it is bad, or that it should be removed from the game.

I will admit I wish you could be in Eureka while you were queued for other dungeons or trails - that would be an improvement. I can at least see the argument that sequestering a portion of the population away from the rest is bad.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

The "well some people like it" defense of eureka confuses me. Yeah, and those people would probably still like it even if it was less grindy/more fun/better designed. Also, it's an mmo, people will do content they don't like because they feel compelled to because of rewards & completionism.

Also, comparing it to crafting seems baffling. Crafting has some depth, and even if you don't like it, you have a lot of options of tackling it differently. You can just throw money at it, or you can slow roll it with beast tribes, custom deliveries or GC hand-ins. You can use resources to help you solve some of the "puzzle" aspects, or just straight up use guides. There's various choices of optimization that trade between cost and time.

Eureka, there really isn't any choices. At least not Anemos. Grind or die fucker. Soloing isn't just unoptimal, it's nearly a non-option.

Crafting, to me, literally seems like the worst grind. The fact that there are options is irrelevant as the base content is unfun grindy BS that I don't enjoy - to me it feels like ti has no depth because of this, which is why I feel like it's a perfect comparison for Eureka in the way a lot of people see it. Spicing crafting up with different methods to be unfun grindy BS does not change the core concept of parking in one spot and hitting buttons to increase a bar and make a thing. That said, again, I think it's probably good content that appeals to completionists and because of the rewards associated, even if it's not for me. Just because I don't enjoy it doesn't mean it's bad, and doesn't mean I'd want resources unallocated from designing content for those that do enjoy it to something I do like. Different strokes and all that.

I found Eureka interesting as a social player. I really enjoyed just joining up with random train groups or NM groups, light farms or heat/coldbox farms, and just shooting the breeze with randos while doing my rotations. Yes, you need other people to do it, but I've been in instances with as few as 4 people and they scale down fine even with that low population. All of the things you mentioned insofar as crafting can also (generally, if not exactly) apply to playing in Eureka, and there are many choices of getting different things out of it (Logs, NMs, chain parties, light parties, box farming, prep parties, etc..), or playing optimally (afk NM'ing vs prepping). I felt the most liberating choice for me was the fact that it syncs to i300 means I can play any of my 70 classes without worrying about gear - I got a lot of play out of classes I enjoy but are way behind the gear curve, just for fun. That said, like crafting, people tend to do the ones that provide the maximum reward for the minimum effort (which is probably something that could be addressed in some fashion if it is considered to be a major issue).

I feel like it's a major perception issue - a lot of folks just see Eureka as unfun, grindy BS, write it off, and then piss and moan about it because (as I already admitted) it pulls people out of the greater queue pool, which is bad. The one thing crafting has going for it over Eureka, in my opinion, is that you can do it while you wait for your trial/dungeon queue to pop.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
RDM's rotation is dead simple. You use your short cast time spells (Jolt / Jolt II / Impact / Verfire or Verstone when available) to proc Dualcast, then cast Verthunder or Veraero. Once you get enough black and white mana, you do your melee combo (Verflare/Verholy go on the end of you melee combo once you get them). Sprinkle Fleche and Contre Sixte as availiable, use acceleration to get Verfire/Verstone procs, Manafication to melee quicker, and your damage buff to do more spell damage.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Nessus posted:

FFXIV 6.0: Second Barkley

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
With big pulls like the first two in the burn, when I'm playing WAR, I'll usually just spam overpower until I get lowish on TP. I'm not sure of the exact math, but it feels like with 5+ mobs, even without the +damage buff from Storm's Eye, you're getting more total potency with Overpower than with the standard combo. I'm sure someone else has the numbers handy and can say what that breakpoint actually is.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Countblanc posted:

well the latest LuckyBancho data shows that 5.8% of NA players, 7.3% of EU players, and 18.6% of JP players have reached level 50 in Eureka. i guess japanese players really do like it a lot more than other regions after all

Keep in mind that those numbers may not reflect a completely accurate dataset. A lot of people, when light farming in Pyros, will intentionally delevel to increase light gain. A more accurate count would also certainly include elvl 49.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

It’s probably basing it off achievements I would think.

I didn't even think about tracking it this way - I figured it had to be a manual census kind of thing. Are achievements publicly accessible for all characters?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I've been looking to get into a BA run for a while now (so far I've only managed a short jaunt in which I survived by not being an idiot when the rest of my party charged blindly forward into trash mobs like this was The Burn), but I have absolutely no desire to use voice comms. I have to believe this is possible, given the dungeon itself is theoretically made to be puggable. What has been other people's experiences with non-preform, non-voice comms BA runs?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

homeless snail posted:

idk how you get in there without a preform right now though, every instance I've been in either is already called by the discord cartel or Ovni dies and no one is interested in going in

I just pop in every time after Ovni dies and see if there are people organizing to go through and join up if so. Had a little success with it so far, but yeah, it does seem difficult to get groups excited about it on the outside.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Stop.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Zodiac5000 posted:

Anemos and Pagos down. I have been informed that I am now through the worst parts of Eureka. I am concerned that the brain worms have got me though because I haven't minded it too much already. Outside of the insanely stupid travel times in Pagos, I guess. Whomever made that little forked path to get to the top left and top right needs to be shot out of a giant novelty cannon or something.

Just remember whenever you encounter something you don't like in Eureka that literally all of FFXIV 1.0 (and FFXI for most of its lifetime) was like this. I believe (not 100% sure) that the director of FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 (Komoto?) is the person in charge of Eureka (and was in charge of Diadem - hence why it had to be removed and reworked). He got demoted but not entirely shitcanned after the failure of 1.0, but because of the way Japanese companies respect time served and company elders, I guess he gets to stick around and keep trying to resurrect turn of the millennia style MMO gameplay in a limited fashion.

That said, I do enjoy Eureka and managed to complete one weapon (the RDM weapon). Might try for 2, but frankly I like the Pyros Axe better than the Eureka one, so I may just call it quits on Eureka and let my sub lapse until we get some more story content. I've more or less given up hope on getting through BA as it is at the moment given my distaste for discord (I blame Eve goonswarm mumble for spoiling me with a no chatter channel in the past).

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Live Free posted:

I just want a magic-based tank:colbert:

Is there any FF (or even broader Square/Enix) precedent for such a thing? I had held vague hope that RDM or BLU would be mage tanks, but aside from those nothing comes to mind as any sort of existing frame for this sort of thing.

Edit:

Thumbtacks posted:

So you cast foul at like 28 seconds or something?

Essentially yes.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah, I'd agree that I had hoped RDM would have a bit more support orientation. That said, if you use your role abilities smartly and raise as often as you can to spare the healers the need to do so, you can play that role. I just wish it was viable for RDM to spot heal a bit more outside of complete emergency situations, but everyone says to never heal unless you're actively preventing a wipe (for my part, it's usually only healing a tank after raising the healer and waiting for them to get back up so I can mana shift them).

My classic view of RDM is very much a 1/3 BLM, 1/3 WHM, 1/3 WAR, as per FFI - jack of all trades, master of none. Tankier than the mages, can wear some heavier armor, but not as tanky as a true tank. Can use white and black magic, but doesn't get the best of either. I didn't care for the whole FFXI enfeebling gimmick, but I'll admit it gave them a fun niche to fill when combined with their two hour and refresh. FFXII is kind of what made me think of RDM as a potential tank though.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
No doubt - I wouldn't have expected anything else, but I think thematically RDM could have been made into a tank job. Using white magic to buff (+ defense), debuff (slows, damage down) and absorb damage, black magic as the enmity grabbers, closers, AoE, etc..

Similarly, it could have been our first magic ranged support DPS, with little modification (it could be argued it already is the most supporty of the magic DPS).

Vitamean posted:

if someone tells me to raise anyone except a dead healer I'm gonna demand the tank use hate combos out of spite

You do you man. I like to be all over the place and do lots of different stuff. If you just want to make explode, I don't pay your sub.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
The need for CC is something I struggle with honestly. I know a lot of people prefer just bulldozing and AoE'ing everything, and that can be / often is enjoyable. I think it works for story and optional dungeons, because a lot of folks just want their tomes as fast as possible.

That said, and I think some others have posited something like this in the past, I kind of wish we had (Extreme) 4 man dungeons where full pack pulling wasn't an option and where CC needed to be utilized in order to break up packs. It's slower, true, and not everyone likes that, but there was a tactical sort of thinking that went into tackling those kinds of situations in Vanilla WoW that I found kind of enjoyable. Many non-tank classes have some sort of CC (BLM, WHM, RDM, BRD, MCH, SMN), though certain classes do have rather limited (AST) or no options (SCH, most of the melee DPS).

I guess what I'm saying is some variety would be nice, rather than just murdertraining every 4 man. Also bring back dungeons that aren't just long hallways (loved BRD back in the day)(this will never happen).

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah, extreme 4 mans wouldn't be for everyone, but I think it'd be more popular than most might think. Especially because you know they'll gate some content/reward behind it.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Voidsent command structure bears a striking resemblance to corporate America.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

There were a couple of interesting things said at the fanfest in interviews that I think are worth speculating about. The first is their reasoning for adding a 4th tank. Yoshi P said in 2 different interviews that they are adding a 4th tank so they can balance the tanks as 2 mt's and 2 ot's. On paper I hate this decision, even though I doubt it will matter at the level of content I stick to. In the Mr Happy interview he mentioned that pld currently fills the role of OT and pld's don't really have any problems main tanking so probably nothing to worry about.

I don't love that on paper either, but would be fine with the idea of having a pair of absolute brick tanks with lots of group utility and a pair of what are basically DPS with some aggro management and mitigation abilities (basically what DRK and WAR are now). PLD already has a brick toolkit, and can really cheese some fights/mechanics (looking at you o9/Nidhogg - running off with the Akh Morn and then Hallowed Grounding through it breaks some peoples' heads). I would be fine with more unique use cases for those kinds of abilities.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

It is kind of weird that he's the only brown-skinned Garlean that we've seen though.

I choose to believe that by using a flash of light to change his armor to gold in Praetorium, he also inadvertently and permanently tanned the poo poo outta himself. Actions have consequences, Gaius.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

English Pipin is also great. Dude gets HELLA INTO IT at the end of Stormblood.

Also when did he become a DRK? Is that just since Ghimlyt, or did I miss it earlier.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
How old even is Krile? Presumably at least Minfilia's age if not a little older? When did the Isle of Val disappear, 30 years ago or so?

I have a hard time placing ages on the vast majority of Lalas (and I even get their sex/gender wrong sometimes - sorry Alka Zolka). They all have childish features, even in ones that are clearly in their advanced years.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

drat, I'd have put him at like 40 at least. I guess working with magitek for years and years bleaches out your hair or something.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
From 1.x

It kind of is the beard.

Edit: VV also that

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 1, 2019

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Keep at it, attitudes like yours are always refreshing. The community of FFXIV is great but you still run into a lot of douchey people in dungeons and raids so never stop being positive.

One of my favorite things, when i'm running LDR and get a sprout tank, is coaching them and pointing out things they may not know. As soon as I mention that I have all the tanks at 70, they're usually willing to listen even if they're a little reticent at first. I try not to be condescending and just try to teach them stuff, like that Provoke doesn't work the way it does in a lot of MMOs, that running through mobs and spinning is a good way to pull, and that keeping monsters still makes melee DPS' life easier when its possible. I always try to link them to the tank guide image that's been floating around for ages and is still regularly updates, here:

Only very rarely does anyone get upset about a little coaching, and more often than not I'll get a few comms as DPS for being so mentor-y (I do not and never will have a crown).

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh, that tank swap bit is so loving out of date.

It was out of date from SB launch, and it's still gonna get people killed when they do snekboidad EX.

:goonsay:

It's good enough for the non-progression raiding population, and it's good enough to teach newbies the basics. Some mechanics can't be easily generalized, so yeah you have to pick them up as you go, but I've never had much trouble tank swapping in the few cases, where its even needed anymore in casual content, by doing pretty much exactly what's listed there.

That said, I've also never done current tier EX content / savage raiding, so, it's me, the well meaning, non-progression casual that represents the vast majority of the population.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Harrow posted:

For reference when I start tanking normal mode trials: are there usually unspoken rules for which tank does the actual tanking and which one just pretends to be DPS and/or picks up adds? I've never actually noticed tanks in party chat working it out when I've done normal trials as a healer or DPS so it looks from the outside like there's just this unspoken understanding that happens, or maybe it's just whichever one grabs the boss first.

It is usually whoever steps in first, but in content sync'd to 50, it's best to let a PLD MT if there is one, because they don't have their DPS combo at that point, so they're going to be building significant threat even in Sword Oath, and it makes it harder for the MT to drop their threat stance if they want to (not so much an issue for WAR at 50, but for DRK, more so). In 60-70 content, it's usually more optimal to have a WAR or DRK MT, but realistically, it's not that big of a difference either way.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Somebody say slot machines? Bring back Corsair. :getin:

Honestly though, if they rework MCH into a more Edgar from FFVI direction, another class with a gun wouldn't be a bad thing and they do really seem to love their RNG these days.

It's me, the one person who actually enjoyed playing Corsair in FFXI.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
MCH glam:

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Any major city, I think, should have weapon and armor vendors that sell lvl 60, i255 whites. There's also a merchant/mender in Castrum Oriens that sells them for sure.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Presumably continuation will become the rip, tear, gouge abilities, so this combo will look like 1, 4, 2, 4, 3, 4 or such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
There's a special weather that occurs when it's up, tension. Other than that, I don't know of any way to specifically track it. But you can always just pop into the shroud (any of the areas) and if there's tension, he's up somewhere in the shroud.

Edit: also note that he doesn't appear on the map until he's engaged, I think, so even if there's tension, you still have to run around all areas of the shroud looking for his rear end.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 21, 2019