Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I know a few dozen people in game. One has gotten past the second trial quest, a few have gotten past Ruabahn. A bunch have been playing since servers came up in the morning on Friday, and have been stuck since then.

It'd be nice if only half the game population was stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
PVP's been pretty great. The biggest issue is I can only ever queue for one before I get an hour long stream of 90002 errors.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Last night I noticed FFXIV had a viewer count of about 18,000 on twitch, when in general it struggles to hit 3k.

I wonder how long that lasted. Sitting at about 8,000 right now, and all the main streamers I recognize are sitting at level 70 doing stuff.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Maybe they'll finally learn about not making these instanced single player fights come 5.0.

The single player instances are fine. Heavensward had a ton of them and I never saw a problem.

Maybe just not 1 hour into the new content, and maybe have some resources set aside for them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ruta posted:

It's me. I know what you're holding because I've seen the animation so much.

But really, it's annoying. If you've never changed your mind about a royal road effect or accidentally held a card you didn't want to, power to you. But it's only going to get worse at 70 with the sleeve pull or whatever. I haven't gotten there yet, but I guess I'll never use it if it overwrites what I already have, and I guess I'll only use it if I have something already held otherwise. I can think of few annoyances bigger in AST play than using it and getting an aoe spire stuck in my hands.

The biggest thing is I don't know if this was a deliberate nerf or just an oversight.

Sleeve Draw doesn't overwrite any filled card slots, so you don't need to worry about that one. I miss being able to discard a Royal Road effect, because it does help sometimes.

Minor Arcanum draw is super good when you're pulling extra spires and poo poo. It's either a free heal or nuke, so just throw that garbage card away and use whatever card you draw.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Any standard USB 101-key keyboard should be fine, unless you're looking for fancy gamer poo poo on it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Levequests, and do your daily GC high quality turnins.

While hammering out leves or grinding your turnins, you can also have food (+3%) and your GC survival manual (+50% exp I think?) active.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Givin posted:

For tanking right side gear stat choice, should I look for the +VIT or +STR variety? I do not plan on doing any content over normal from 60 onward. PLD and DRK if class matters.

Post 60 you only have the choice to take Vit gear.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If you didn't pick up poo poo for every person that asked, we wouldn't have Dark Knight.

Whether that's a good trade or not is up to you.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Vargatron posted:

Is it worth leveling Grand Company rep prior to cap? I may have to divert and do different things due to MSQ fatigue this weekend. Also, where do the Hildebrand quests start? I heard those were very good.

Hildibrand stats in Ul'dah - The Rise and Fall of Gentlemen.

I wouldn't say you need to sit down and grind your GC rep. Just turn in spare dungeon drops and use whatever seals you make to rank up.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

nuru posted:

The problem is that I main SCH, I'm just leveling as SMN. SCH dps is somehow more complex than AST though, and I think WHM? Don't they each have 1 dot now?

ASTs have one dot and a spam. Earthly Star you can use once a minute like Assize, and maybe the Lord of Crowns if the cards work out that way.

WHM should have Aero2 and Aero 3 still, as well as stone spam and Assize.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Boogalo posted:

Ahem you forgot the best spell in the game: HOLY.

I was only going single-target.

(Gravity looks and sounds cooler anyways.)

nuru posted:

Fair, Assize and Earthly Star are a lot more satisfying than Shadow Flare right now.

Earthly Star is loving amazing and I'm so glad it's the level 62 ability so I can use it for all of Stormblood.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm going to say that you'll pick up the essentials of tanking quick enough, and none of the story dungeons are going to be mechanically intensive for a new tank. Learn how to hold threat on multiple targets, learn to use your defensive abilities properly and you've got a good start. once your comfortable not losing threat and not dieing, you can play around with stance dancing on bosses. And if you mess up, well, you mess up. Everyone else is overgeared by this point so you'll have an easy enough time to recover. You can always practice by running some mid-level stuff to get a feel for it. It doesn't really change past the 30s.

Tanks come with the benefit of fast queues, whereas you'll probably be waiting ~30 minutes every time you try to do a dungeon as rdm.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It looks like the level 69 dungeon has more Tactics Ogre reference gear. All I have is a ring so I don't know what it looks like, but they're Xenobian and Valerian gear sets again.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Waist, arms, chest and legs could all have their own belt slots.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Aphrodite posted:

Are you even supposed to still have the echo? Didn't you get your connection severed?

Your connection was severed with Hydaelyn blocking your blessing of light. The echo came prior the her blessing and nobody can really touch the echo, because few outside of the Ascians truly understand what it is.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Shy posted:

How many non-msq 4.0 dungeons are there?

1 optional dungeon, level 63.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Shy posted:

Oh alright its the one in the ruby sea? Is the starter quest in the same zone?

The quest to unlock the dungeon is in the Ruby Sea.

Spoiler details location info:

One of the NPCs in the under water Au Ra village will start it. It's a blue quest that offers an aethercurrent reward.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The Black Stones posted:

So there's no way I'm getting my physical copy of Stormblood before early access cut off. Is there any way S-E could extend that? gently caress their online store so hard, they didn't ship to Canada until Tuesday. With HW they shipped early so I had it before EA ended.

Early access is already over. Launch was yesterday.

And their online store is pretty consistently terrible if you're shipping to Canada. Doesn't really help but I feel your pain.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Minrad posted:

so do I level war/drk before pld so that it can be an eye opening experience leveling pld, or should I just wait for a balance pass (which may be as far out as 4.1) to level drk/war and just level PLD for now

Are you gonna try to do Savage Omega when it releases?

If no, play whatever looks coolest. If yes, still play whatever looks coolest.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Anecdotally I see more healers looking for statics than anyone else.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So a few things I've noticed on AST.

Aspected benefic is loving expensive. 1440 MP at 70, vs 480 for benefic. It costs as much as helios.
Collective Unconsciousness seems to break as soon as I cast it a lot. Might be lag related, but it fails half the time for me now.
I've used Redraw during really laggy times, and it's given me the same card back. I haven't seen it happen when things are working nice, but it was pretty common over the weekend.

Tanks like moving out of Earthly Star. This is the best use of Rescue I've found so far.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

hobbesmaster posted:

But you don't get assize/aetherflow right?

Our only builtin mana regen is ewer cards now, yeah

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Finally hit a groove grinding PoTD for easy samurai levels and I was just wondering, should I just convert my aether arms to the physical weapon as soon as I can so that I have a decent weapon when I hit 60 or should I keep the arms high to make the higher levels of PoTD easier?

Do you have enough poetics to buy the shire katana? Won't need the kinna weapon in that case.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Boogalo posted:

Your gear doesn't even seem to matter in pvp. It's great.

Yeah, gear has literally no influence on your stats. It's entirely cosmetic. Every instance of a job you see has the same stats, +/- their pvp traits.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Demicol posted:

Stupid question. I have a Fisher at level 62 but no other DoH/L, can someone explain the Scrip system? Every collectible I have gives red scrips, but everyone talks about blue scrips and I don't see a way to get those.

Blue were the uncapped heavensward scrips that are no longer given out.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ndub posted:

the thing with CU is that it breaks if you turn your character with right click, and it waits until the next server tick to apply it's regen. you have to pop it, hands off the game, (generally on top of the person you want to put the regen on) and wait up to 3 sec. it's a free, strong regen but you definitely have to plan ahead a little to use it right. same deal for anybody running in late, they won't get the regen until the next tick

the cost increase to asp bene is a little extreme but you are level 70, the cost of that is not going to go up any more, but you will get more mp/mind with gear and feel the increased cost less

I've noticed the right-click turn thing with CU. This is new and super annoying, but the other stuff is old news.

Asp Bene was way too good when it was dirt cheap so I don't mind the change. Just took me by surprise.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
1735 left side, 720 right side, 500 for a weapon.

All 260, no upgrades.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been rescuing people that leave the dragoon tether range and don't look like they're coming back. It's caused more than a few deaths but I regret nothing.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Playing an AST loses a lot of the dramatic tension in cut scenes, when I threateningly pull out my astroglobe. And then I sparkle the target to death like I'm Jubilee.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cool Bear posted:

Has anyone else noticed these allegories from the original first opening story:

unexpectedly bad meteor weapon from the garleans :: atom bomb from america in ww2

primals summoned by beastly denizens of isolated eorzea :: hawk military leaders of japan who controlled the emperor and with whom many disagreed

the Garleans attack because they want to destroy the primals :: the americans attack japan to stop them from conquering east asia because of these hawks, these primals

This story written by Japanese people who are intelligent and surely very aware of their own history must have been either consciously or subconsciously affected by the events of history. Is this common knowledge? Am I wrong?

I think those are a stretch at best.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cool Bear posted:

So this idea that the Garleans attacked Eorzea because of the powerful primals, did I make that up, did I dream it? Maybe it was just one particular Count, like von Baelsar, who I heard in the main story, I heard, or I dreamt, I heard that they attacked with extra force *because* they were worried about too many primals.

Is that a part of the story? That some Garlean person sent the meteor specifically because he was worried about too many primals? Or am I misremembering?

You made it up. Primals weren't being summoned until the Empire attacked and Midgardsomr dunked their flagship into silvertear lake. Baelsar hates primals, but the rest of the empire doesn't seem too interested in eliminating them, and in some cases are researching how to control or harness them.

The Garlean who summoned meteor was researching it and got semi-tempered by Bahamut to bring it down and ruin everyone. That this happened slightly after their initial assault doesn't depend much on the existence of the beast tribe primals.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ciaphas posted:

My god these DPS queues loving suck. Makes me want to take up DRK from 60 even though I'm scared of tanking because of the whole DPS meta thing, not even bother with doing roulettes on my 70 RDM.

There's nothing wrong with staying in grit and going a moderate pace if you're doing 4-mans. Hell, even pubbing 24-man or 8-man ex trials I was more than happy to sit in defensive stance because I didn't know if I could count on my healers. Don't let the meta actually influence what you're doing unless you're in a progression static.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ImpAtom posted:

What materia are people melding for scholar now?

I'm leaning on combinations of vit and piety until we figure out out much healing and unavoidable damage is going. Healer substats are poo poo anyways.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Final Trial mechanic question.

How does his Akh Morn attack work?

You definitely don't stack it like the rest of the time. It looks like it targets a tank and tethers a single person to them. Do they stack it? Do they both take damage?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mr. Nice! posted:

Final dungeon is a part of the ex roulette and is a routine 4 man dungeon.

It's also a rad as gently caress dungeon, with a ton of nice details if you look around while grinding your ex roulettes.

There are a ton of GC NPCs running around fighting, with speech bubbles. One guy tells you to attack the scorpion robot while his tail his up (final fantasy 7). Raubahn and Pippin are fighting together just inside the castle. Hien and some ninjas are fighting another group just outside the throne room. Probably a bunch more but I haven't looked too hard yet.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Looking cool is its own reward.

I think every movement ability works that way. Your character's hitbox is exactly where you cast the spell until the instant you land, and then your hitbox is there. Elusive jump is still a good skill, but you can't pull the clutch 1/4 s dodge with it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SonicRulez posted:

So should I dump Verity on the right side first so that I can make it into the EX primals or follow the normal left -> right stuff?

Weapon first so you're not a scrub, and then whatever gives you the biggest gains otherwise.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Arist posted:

Anyone ever seen a PLD so petrified of death they cast Clemency any time they get below 60%? Because that was one of the more weirdly insulting instances I've healed.

I see this quite a bit. I don't let it bug me, I just cast gravity more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ainsley McTree posted:

They're probably not going to do this