Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah but if you're a paladin you look lame so the tank meta has to be war-drk by default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How is that spoilers

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Freaksaus posted:

Is there any new vendor that uses hunt seals at the end of the MSQ or at level 70, or should I just get the HW speed increases for now?

There is, in Rhalgr's Reach. Has materia and minions iirc. Didn't see any gear upgrade items so it looks like the best you can do for now is just straight tomestone + primal gear

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm 20 minutes into a 50/60 dps queue and it hasn't even told me what number I am in line yet

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
After playing dragoon at 70 more yesterday, I think I'm mostly happy with it. They managed to get it into a perfect lenticular space, where it seems very simple until you start to know what you're doing, at which point it gets much more involved. Knowing when you can safely press Geirskogul without delaying LotD, when to delay Geirskogul to make sure you get three Nastronds, how to order your jumps and such is just enough complexity to keep me engaged without feeling overwhelming, which is where both the ARR and HW rotations ended up being after I baked them into my muscle memory

My only complaint is that the payoff for doing it all right feels super weak (even if it isn't, numerically). The number one change I'd make to dragoon is give LotD a 5-10% damage buff or something so it feel more exciting when you line things up successfully. Pull potency from anywhere but full thrust to make it happen, I love my new 440 potency best friend.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there actually a limitation that grade 6 materia can only go in the first slot, or was that just a fever dream I had while reading the patch notes?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

idk if you're in my FC but apparently this is not the case; you're just limited to using the guaranteed meld slots.

Welp my gear is sullied with suboptimal materia then

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It feels like I have received more commends on RDM in a week than I would get on BLM in three months.

I can't tell if that is because of the head drawing flashiness, being relatively good vs lovely RDMs, the manashifts and clutch heal/raises, or what.

I and I assume every other dragoon in the game will commend any ranged DPS who stays in dragon sight range during dungeons, so that's a free way to pick up a few more

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I've been rescuing people that leave the dragoon tether range and don't look like they're coming back. It's caused more than a few deaths but I regret nothing.

You are my hero

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I know I said earlier that the only change I'd make to drg would be to make LotD do more, but if I were YoshiP for a day I'd also make Dragon Sight last until broken (with a 2 second or so grace period) instead of having a set duration because it's just such a fun mechanic

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I interpreted that in the patch notes as "only one grade 6 per item, period" which would have been a fine system and thus seemed plausible

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

I have absolutely no idea but it's probably the same reason Tri-Bind is still around (and Red Mages got their own Tri-Bind).

tri-bind is still around because it's literally the only spammable summoner aoe. It's still better than ruin at like 4 enemies, I think

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

Oh, so to clarify: I don't have to complete each dungeon to unlock it for a roulette (again, outside of expert or mentor), I just have to accept the quest that unlocks it? Well poo poo, that'll save me some time. Here I was thinking I'd have to set aside some time once I hit 70 to grind out completing all the 50/60 dungeons so that queuing with me wouldn't be a pain in the rear end for other players.

You usually have to go 2-3 steps into the quest to actually unlock the dungeon but that's like a minute at most

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I am ignorant of most other DPS jobs, what is this and what does it do? :v:

Dragoon has a move called Dragon Sight. It has a range of 6 yalms (double melee range or so), and targets a party member. For the duration of the buff, the Dragoon gets a 10% damage buff and the other DPS gets a 5% damage buff, but only if they stay within 6 yalms. There's a red tether between them if they're close enough, so it's visually obvious.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Note that there's no advantage to owning the expansion until you hit level 50 so don't buy the expansion early unless it's a good deal.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I believe the calamity salvager is tied to achievements so it should work with any gear that comes from a quest that grants an achievement.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Garlemald is Persia, not WW2 Japan

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just cleared Susano EX. He will be trivial for everyone but the truly abysmal players once gear improves a bit and enrage is no longer a concern.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lakshmi's theme is good but it's hard to call it the best given all the other insanely good primal themes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think I still like Ravana's theme best

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Actually if T13 counts as a primal fight the music winner is Bahamut but I think that's cheating

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

How many times do you have to kill Ixion for that? just once?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

There's very little to speculate about, since almost nothing is known about Varis, least of all what could cause him to react that way.

As for Gosetsu and Yotsuyo, I hope that scene means that they're not dead but effectively out of the story for good. Not killing them for good was dumb, having them actually come back would be even dumber.

I agree. If they just wanted Gosetsu to not be in the story anymore that was real fuckin easy because we were leaving everyone from Doma behind. So what was even the point of fake killing him?

e: basically everything that happens in the east is dumb with a few minutes of thought anyways, though it has a lot of cool parts mixed in with the dumbness

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 25, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The way he's handled in the drg level 70 quests makes me think Estinien is mostly written out of the story at this point. He might show up now and again, but only as a cameo, not a major character. His appearance in the MSQ could go either way though, taken by itself.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I haven't tanked the fight, but assuming it works like in T13 (and if it tethers, it probably does), damage is split between the MT and whoever is closest to them, which is supposed to be the OT.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just party with someone below 70 when you do trial roulette

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

How many more quests till i get to Stormblood? Just finished up the fight with the Warriors of Darkness. Kinda thought that was going to be the end but this stuff with this Griffon dude seems like he's gonna get in the way...

WoD was like, 3.4 I think? You're close to the end.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Responding to the discussion a few pages back, but if there isn't a Bardam's Mettle (Hard) where the bosses are Cirina, Sadu, and Magnai at some point during this expansion I will loving riot

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I'm looking forward to Doma Castle (Hard) where you fight through underwater Doma ruins filled with evil ghosts or something. The boss should be Gogo.

I want that too but I wouldn't be too disappointed if it had to wait for 5.x

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Actually, assuming that the dungeon on odd-numbered patches is original and the ones one even-numbered patches are one original, one HM, we're only getting two hard mode dungeons the entire expansion

That kinda sucks, I like HM dungeons.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How much are RDMs being hampered by not dashing back to range if I dragon sight them while they're in for the melee portion of their rotation?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
please don't

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The waifu game is weak in ffxiv but like, that's a good thing

I'm glad there's at least one modern JRPG that isn't filled to the brim with waifubait

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jimbot posted:

Has the Dragoon's Elusive Jump always been broken trash? The game doesn't register your new location until you land, so I'm getting hit by AoE, pulls and what have you from the location I jumped from while mid-air or just right before I land. Is this some new bug introduced or was it always like this? I guess that's one less ability clogging up my hotbar.

Elusive jump is good because of the enmity reduction and the fact that you move faster than walking, making it a gap closer that doesn't cost you DPS to save like the dives do.

Also, about once per expansion the fact that it cures binds and heavies will matter.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The best use of Elusive Jump is to jump between spumes in Levi EX while the railings are down

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only sources for grade 6 materia are hunts and dungeons, right?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wish spearfishing was a little bit less utter garbage

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kobata posted:

Nope, you can't transfer to Balmung or Gilgamesh now, they turned it off entirely for those. (And the same applies for any other server listed as 'Congested' on their list, character creation is perma-locked and transfers onto that server are disabled)

They really want people to stop stacking onto the same few servers and spread out more.

They've been slowly hacking away at the reasons to want to go onto a congested server anyways. If they add cross-server linkshells and marketboards there will be almost no reason to care which server you're on anymore (though not no reason).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Coughing Hobo posted:

Ain't this the truth. Before I transferred back to God's Own Server Excalibur, I went with some IRL friends to Gilgamesh, so at first I didn't see much of a difference (except for that server's markedly-worse attitude re: player skill), but then we moved to Ultros and what the gently caress where is everyone in Idyllshire. I could barely make any money because everything I tried to sell on the marketboard moved so slowly. Hunts were basically dead, and FATE trains just didn't exist.

These days, Ultros and Excalibur are close to tied for server population. I don't think this was the case near HW launch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Coughing Hobo posted:

This definitely was not the case back then. I was on Ultros for a majority of the HW patch cycle and transferred back to Excal during the pre-expansion lull, and Excal was still more active than Ultros at its busiest.

It's possible that either Excal's population has more devoted players, or that there's some weird thresholding thing where past a certain number, each additional player "feels" like more, but a few months ago the number of players with the 3.5 MSQ achievement was only about 10% different.

e: or so I remember, I can't find the image. It basically showed Balmung way in the lead, Gilgamesh a distant second, then a huge mass of close-to-tied servers behind them, including both Excal and Ultros.