Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Hien's English VA being an actual Japanese dude helps with that.

Plus Gosetsu sounding like Uncle Iroh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Also while we're talking about derplander, I wish they would give us the 'scruffy chiseled Hollywood' face from the Stormblood FMV.

You mean making him look just like Finn Bálor?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Nothing, absolutely nothing in FFXIV can even come close to FFXI's single most offensively terrible piece of game design: The Ninja class.

What was implemented as a half-assed, lackluster DPS class became the most preferred tank for a very long time thanks to the existence of two highly exploitable "blink" spells, featuring expendable shadows that took hits in place of the character, creating a tank that, through little other than repeated provokes and those two spells spammed indefinitely, required no healing. This was seen as optimal because who the hell can find, let alone play a healer in a mandatory-groups-for-everything MMO?

The second of these two spells was only available through a quest that did not appear until the player had completed a virtually invisible reputation grind, whose status could be tracked only by checking the price of one item on one vendor NPC. Far worse; both spells required an expendable reagent to be used -- a reagent that could only be crafted by players, and thus sold for an excessive price.

And so, if you want to point to a situation that probably led to RMT parasites getting the start-up cash that helped them to become the multibillion-dollar black market industry that blossomed during WoW's heyday -- hacking, phishing, buying, gutting, and selling thousands upon thousands of accounts daily -- then FFXI's Ninja is right up there.

FFXI's designers knew how Ninja was being played, and though they openly stated it wasn't their intention, they only made adjustments years later -- mostly to the way enemy attacks behaved, that rendered the blink spells relatively useless. But, damage done.

Anyway, I went to Eureka and it was bad.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Kongming posted:

I think you're being too harsh on Ninja, not to mention half of this stuff is exaggerated, untrue, or not a problem specific to the Ninja job. As a big Ninja player in both FFXI and FFXIV I feel the need to defend my beloved profession.

That might be stockholm syndrome.

Or my memory may be bad. Allowing for this because I pretty much dropped FFXI the very minute WoW came out, so it's a pretty distant memory.

But I know I tried playing it, and it stands as the single least fun thing a video game ever did with me.

Like 100% though on it not being an issue exclusive to Ninja. Just that it was so deeply egregious there because of how much player-driven hype for it as not only a tank but the tank existed at the time.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 14, 2018

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

IIII AM THE TRUTH. FROM. WHICH. YOU. RUN.

Hammy raid bosses forever.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The Ascians are all annoying jobber midbosses and being unimpressed with them is the correct opinion.

But Elidibus, if he really is piloting Zombie Zenos, might be okay.

TheHeadSage posted:

I wish all the 24 man bosses were voiced.

All of the Mhach baddies were robbed.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I miss GLDs in Brayflox's Longstop insisting they're DPS.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I was away from the game for a little while, but I just came back, caught up with the MSQ (new trial is gorgeous and pitch-perfect challenge wise), and ran Ridorana.

I really love how this is canonically Darkest Timeline FFXII.

Also love the raid, even though I hate math and I think whoever designed that part is also probably responsible for that red chocobo dumpster fire.

But at the end of the day the most important thing is that I got Vaan's vest and wow I look like a complete dork in it, meaning it could not be more perfect.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I'm genuinely not sure where all the BLU bellyaching is coming from.

It's pretty clearly a different kind of content that they're rolling with to see if it'll serve as good content to build on in an MMO that's getting to be about middle-aged.

And yeah, if the job in question were Beastmaster, guaranteed no one would bat an eye (at least if they have passing awareness of FFXI)

I mean, it might be lovely. If it is, don't play it.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Okay, so is this YoRHa thing gonna be the full-on three-part Alliance raid? Or just like a side deal?

Because if it's the former, I fully expect them to throw in some full-on Drakengard business with all that space they'll have.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I, too, was somewhat concerned that it'd be hard to make a rabbit look fierce.

I'm not worried anymore.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Wait, wait.

Are they actually removing the existing job quests and replacing them all with role stuff? Or is it gonna be just a 70+ thing?

Because yeah sure some of those were dull, but the good ones were really, really good and added immensely to the world and flavor.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Well, that's relieving.

Guess they're smart enough to know those are drat near the only reason to have an alt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

So, uh

A precedent for a rhythm-game-styled interface component is being introduced to FFXIV (as part of Dancer's main moveset)

Yoko Taro is involved in designing some raids.

I just loving realized what this means.