Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Minrad posted:

I still don't know if I want to just level WHM first and rip that band aid off, or level SCH and have a Good Class leveled first. I remember how painfully slow and crappy it was to level things in 3.0, and I expect a repeat of that here...

Maybe PvP experience gains will be decent and I can just half afk some frontlines between dungos

With the updated numbers, i imagine WHM will be a very viable (if boring) healer and miles better in 4-man content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
whoever bought that av really should've put the cleric stance icon, not fracture

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
when they killed cleric stance

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you know, every ruling class keeping their grip on a multicultural empire has independently hit upon the golden rule that you send your local levies to go oppress somewhere else, partially to remove the problem of divided loyalties, but primarily so that a different ethnicity gets treated as the public face of your oppression, which pretty much eliminates the risk of a coordinated rebellion by itself

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
'hmm, we have this army of disaffected youth willing to do anything to secure a place in our empire, should we send them to go brutalize their own families, or somewhere else where they can become hated instead of us?'

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

Gaius did nothing wrong. I guess he was pretty brutal to the beast tribes in the first place though, right?

the eorzeans aren't exactly spotless in that respect either

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
he's somehow worse at posting than even fister

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
susano hm also feels like it'd be rough if you had two shittacular healers; stormblood feels in general a lot less forgiving of bad healer play even outside of raid content.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

You said the healer didn't do any dps; was he also not healing, or did you have an honest healer and still die?

oh, we have such sights to show you

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
that just makes the skill gap worse though--in heavensward non-savage content, the difference between good healers and bad healers was just in clear speed. in stormblood so far, it's looking like bad healers will just wipe you, repeatedly, mercilessly, and there's nothing the other 75% of the party can do about it

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

I haven't personally seen it yet, but from thread talk it sounds like the difficulty of content and the amount of damage going out disincentivizes most healer DPS?

i had no trouble whatsoever solo healing susano hm on scholar, and scholar is not very good at solo healing.

the problem is that the chasm between "okay healing" and "awful healing" is extremely wide in ff14, more so than any other role.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
like, a bad tank will at least spam flash until they're out of mana and then at least pretend to press 1-2-3 against a mob.

bad healers don't ride their gcd, don't hit healing buttons until the tank/raid is almost dead, and blow their whole load on overheal once they do. a good dps is going to find it extremely challenging to do the work of two even quite dire dps, but a good healer is absolutely worth way more than 2 bad healers

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i was a str tank in 2.55 and i was not kicked once for it

have you considered their side, that your deliberate choices were effecting three other people's ability to complete content? i'm sorry they called you a mean name (no I'm not because you're actually just a raging rear end in a top hat until you decide to gripe about how the fact you being a huge rear end in a top hat has consequences, at which point you transform into a parody of insecurity that would make OF posters cringe)

but the only lovely thing the pubbies did was insult you. do you think we'd be on the tank's side if someone came in here about a poorly geared tank wiping the group? it's easy to internally decide 'I'll have worse hp and hit harder' when you're not the person who has to deal with the difficulty that decision creates.

not that he isn't a bad poster, but do you actually think an extra 4000 hp or so of cushion matters at all in an environment where the tank is taking 10k+ per gcd? in a multi-pull, either heals are coming in fast enough to keep the tank afloat or they're not and the tank's dead.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

strong bird posted:

If you're getting angry at healers not doing damage in brand new content you're a big fucktard imqho

yeah, they need a change to learn the fight before they know when it's safe to enter Cleric...Stance...

hmm.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

strong bird posted:

Ah, big fucktard spotted.

dumpster-tier white mage spotted

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's always the fuckin' white mages man

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
like you aren't gonna be playing ast in a month, my friend

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i-impossible

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
they didn't lock str right side pieces to dps, did they?

e: because if so, lol @ fister

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
U+1F914 THINKING FACE EMOJI

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
even in weirdo str weight world, there's no way that 270 maiming accessories would be better than 350+ crafted fending accessories with str VIs melded, would there

i'm not even shitposting now, i actually don't know enough about tanks to know the answer to that

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
let they who have never posted in bad faith cast the first stone *grabs big ol' rock off the ground, winds up, lets fly*

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
wait that's a real forums emote now

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i love you

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

that was his whole argument yesterday, that the elusive str tank BIS was going to be 270 accessories for like all of sb, and then I said 'wow, that's so dumb, the idea someone would be so desperate for 400 more damage that they would literally die', and today, he posted about literally doing that

Fister Roboto posted:

It makes it so that good tanks will want to keep a set of 270 slaying jewelry (which is still all classes) because it's still best for dps. And they'll keep them either until the substats on fending jewelry outweighs the old slaying jewelry

dogsicle posted:

idk dude, it sounds like you're deliberately misrepresenting the situation to get an own in on a poster you don't like.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
oh boy oh boy oh boy

*ahem*

:thunk:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just looking at the potencies, WHM's personal dps potential looks the highest, but I don't know how that stacks up against Expanded Balance and Chain Stratagem.

My gut instinct is that WHM will be the highest dps healer in 4-man content, both because it's generally tuned lower so you'll have more time to chuck out Stones and because raid DPS buffs are less effective in smaller parties.

e: also, holy

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's more that when a healer makes a mistake--and everyone makes mistakes--it's often instantly obvious, while bad tanks or dps usually skate

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the bit where you send the warrior into dps jails in a7s and a8s because it's actually easier that way probably shook them a little

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
The numbers are literally the things that are not wrong with Scholar in a raid setting. They're quite good once you recognize that 33+% of your healing output is coming from your fairy, for free, forever--better than AST, worse than WHM imo. Chain Stratagem is nuts. If you think Excogitation is bad you've never lost a tank to Punishing Heat -> Cleave or Ravensbeak -> autoattack or any other tankbuster -> medium hit, in which case you're either good enough or bad enough class balance arguments don't apply anyway. If you boost adlo to be on par with noct a.benefic or whatever the hell reddit wants to do, the class will be over the top.

It's in line with the other healers right now in raids; maybe a little bit worse but definitely not DELETE <CLASS> MEME levels of worse.

EXDR is the problem; there was no legitimate reason to lobotomize Bane the way they did. If they were worried about SMN they could've just given SCH a trait that buffed bane, or even better given them an AOE filler to replace blizzard 2.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
does anyone remember when the reddit class balance brigade was swearing up and down they were quitting the game over whm nerfs

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Weren't there errors or incomplete tooltips driving that one?

It should've been rip SCH - aero 3 and bane hitting live the way they did shows that SE is not paying attention to healer balance at all.

Lily proc rate was thought to be lower than what it is live, but the reasons WHM are the best throughput healer have literally nothing to do with lillies and everything to do with C3, Thin Air, and the new oGCDs.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
The real healer balance takeaway:

WHM + Noct AST: insane mp efficiency, big shields for days, cure 3 availability, more stable against raidwide aoes
Diurnal AST + SCH: higher raid dps comp, indom is still stupid overpowered, more stable against tankbuster combos
WHM + SCH: lol

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
fey union is admittedly clunky in trash pulls, continuing the theme of sch's dungeon performance being a complete dumpster fire that dramatically needs buffs, but it's fine in a raid setting. tanks tend to hold the boss steady anyways because the melees will whine endlessly if they don't, and you generally know ahead of time when you have to use fey union (in current content: susano's sword phase / the bits of lakshmi ex where you need to run out to mars while the tank eats a buster / any situation in which the other healer is down, the tank is taking damage, and you don't have swiftcast)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the dicey bit of lakshmi ex for me is the third (?) chanchala pattern, the one where she puts down two aoe stack markers that inflict nasty bleeds unless you pop vril, and nobody bothers to pop vril for it in pf

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
in the last pattern you'll run out of vril doing that unless you quickly grab one of the orbs that spawn on the outside of the arena during the pattern. you'd think that people would just, you know, stand on the outside of the arena during that pattern but noooooooo

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Also, I'm assuming the correct way to play Warrior in PvP is to Heavy as many people as possible and only go in for melee with a full combo ready?

the correct way is to play pld or drk, which dumpster warrior hysterically right now in feast. it's sad but true.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
REITERPALLSCH'S COMPLETE, ACCURATE, AND INARGUABLY CORRECT WAY TO FIX SCHOLAR

- give Ruinaga or whatever as a spammable aoe option, worse than holy/grav to take bane into account. 150 potency, scaling down, applying a blind maybe? idk. give me a bone here.
- crank up the potency on the tether. 480/tick seems good but you're giving up embrace and aoe regens in the meantime.
- also make Rouse apply to the tether. this isn't really a balance thing but it's actively stupid and non intuitive that it doesn't.
- fix the hysterical bug that causes redacted to happen
- make Excogitation apply the heal if its duration times out. this is more of a qol/encourage people to use it thing, since this should Never Happen

that's it

WAYS NOT TO FIX SCHOLAR

- making the shields as mana efficient as noct ast, without taking into account the straight up~50% mana efficiency bonus from the fairy
- making chain strategem, a button you push, better than the Expanded Balance the AST spent the first 75% of the fight redrawing boles into spears for
- putting scholar's aetherflow back up to 20%, thereby making them even more bottomless than 3.x scholar in combination with lucid dreaming
- actually, doing anything else that makes them as mandatory as they were in 3.x, because healer balance right now is better than at any time during 3.x

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

nuru posted:

Has anyone in the thread suggested any of the things in your "not to fix" or are you yelling at reddit from here?

gently caress if i'm signing up for a reddit account just for this, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'd love that, but considering how janky literally everything else involving the fairy is, i'm not sure that one's within their power to fix

e: there's no real point sitting on it, i guess, since this is pretty well-known in some circles and nobody's chasing world firsts--pets in ffxiv inherit their summoner's stats. someone probably forgot that healers could still meld direct hit, which must've made fairies resort to some completely nonsensical placeholder data or something, because a trivial quantity of direct hit currently causes the fairy to get 100% direct hits on fey union ticks.
there's no way this doesn't get nerfed.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 27, 2017